Rams waive RB Daryl Richardson & DT Jermelle Cudjo

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I'm kind of surprised that Cudjo got cut so early. I figured he might get the axe, but not for a while.

He wasn't really much special, he could come in and do his job, but with the addition of players who are much better at doing what he does it made him the weakest link, so he got cut.

No surprise here.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Official cap room freed: $1,458,526.

I have to imagine they're freeing space to sign a veteran free agent. They already had enough money to sign their free agent class with about $3.1M to spare.
hmmm, who could this be? Would one of our resident football brains care to speculate who the Rams may be trying to sign?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
He wasn't really much special, he could come in and do his job, but with the addition of players who are much better at doing what he does it made him the weakest link, so he got cut.

No surprise here.
Right, but why this early? Shouldn't they at least keep him around for training camp.? Same thing with D Rich. Even if the Rams were planning on cutting him don't they at least deserve to give him a chance to show he can do well again after the injury?

What really surprises me about the D-Rich cutting was that there are reports that the Rams tried to trade Pead. I would think he'd be the first one they would cut

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
hmmm, who could this be? Would one of our resident football brains care to speculate who the Rams may be trying to sign?

Andre Johnson.......

Lol I wish.

Maybe Justin Blackmon.

Or they are making room to sign a couple players whi get cut over the next month or so from other teams.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Right, but why this early? Shouldn't they at least keep him around for training camp.? Same thing with D Rich. Even if the Rams were planning on cutting him don't they at least deserve to give him a chance to show he can do well again after the injury?

What really surprises me about the D-Rich cutting was that there are reports that the Rams tried to trade Pead. I would think he'd be the first one they would cut

I'm guessing they value Pead more than Richardson and dangled him because they thought he'd be more likely to get them something in return. I'm sure they realized that both weren't going to make the final roster and since Pead has more value in other areas, Richardson was the odd man out at the end of the day.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Wow. Interesting. I expected it, but definitely not this soon. Some team is going to pick him up, and they might get a steal to be honest. For a 7th round pick, he's pretty talented. In the right scheme..

No way I thought Cudjo was making the roster though.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Graham Pocic was also waived. GET YO NUMBA BACK BIG GREG. #73.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Just seems like he's a victim of being the odd man out on a team that has too much talent. Team needs to see a lot of bodies get camp time, and I'm guessing that valued seeing others more than seeing Cudjo and didn't want to give time that could be used looking at others on him. So instead of keep him around to warm up the bench, they gave him a release so that they can get some cap space and he can go somewhere new.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
So we have 3 roster spots open?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not surprised and also good to do this early so that these guys have ample opportunity to be picked up.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Plus, if the coaching staff feels pretty confident that these guys will be picked up, they won't know much about any new wrinkles installed in our gameplans just in case they are picked up by teams on our schedule.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Rams cut RB Richardson, DT Cudjo

Print By Jim Thomas jthomas@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8197

From Rams Park on Thursday comes yet another compelling example of why NFL stands for Not For Long.

Nine months ago, second-year running back Daryl Richardson was named the opening day starter for the Rams late in training camp in their first year without Steven Jackson.

Richardson won't get a third-year, at least not in St. Louis. The Rams released Richardson, a day in which they also released backup defensive tackle Jermelle Cudjo, offensive lineman Graham Pocic, and offensive tackle Emmanuel McCray.

McCray, from the University of Mississippi, had just signed with the team as an undrafted free agent earlier this week. Pocic was placed on injured reserve at the end of training camp last summer because of a shoulder/labrum injury.

After an impressive rookie year, in which Richardson gained 475 yards and averaged 4.8 yards per carry, the seventh-rounder from Abilene Christian looked like a late-round steal. But he suffered a turf toe injury in the 2013 season-opener against Arizona and struggled with the injury all season. He ended up with only 215 yards rushing (and a 3.1 average) in '13, playing in just eight games with three starts.

Once the Rams drafted Auburn's Tre Mason in the third round last week, it became obvious that either Richardson or 2012 second-rounder Isaiah Pead would have to go. That question was answered Thursday.

Cudjo, who has been with the Rams since 2010, had his best season in 2012 when he registered 39 tackles and a sack and started four games. But he suffered a stress fracture in his foot last offseason and began training camp on the active/PUP list. Perhaps because of the late start, he didn't play as well last season.

Cudjo had signed a two-year, $1.8 million contract in March 2013 that included a $350 signing bonus. The Rams will have to eat half of that signing bonus as dead money. But Cudjo was due a $900,000 base salary this year, which now becomes cap savings.

With Thursday's moves, the Rams now have 86 players on their roster or four under the offseason roster limit.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_ab67bbc8-f75a-52af-830b-04154e0b6283.html