Rams UFA Re-signing Priority List (Top 10)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This offense is different with 3 in there. Just get it done we'll rebuild in 2025. :laugh3:

Malibu

Pro Bowler
We need an upgrade on iol let Allen walk.

Von #1 priority.

Need to find an upgrade at CB

HUGE PRIORITY - We need a 1B type QB as a backup - we lose Stafford and try to replace with Wolford or Perkins this would be a major mistake. We have a race horse of a team you can't run with a sub par Backup this is the best insurance we could offer the fans. Remember we won three playoff games by 2 having to come back in the 4th quarter and one we had 40 seconds to not go to OT.

Noteboom, SJD then OBJ if cheap enough.

We must upgrade the IOL somehow we lose Stafford we are over

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams Facing O-Line Overhaul
Vincent Verhei
1646412057186.png

Los Angeles Rams​

Biggest Need: Offensive Line

Though no official announcement has been made, all indications say that left tackle Andrew Whitworth is going to retire. On top of that, the Rams could also lose starters at center (Brian Allen) and right guard (Austin Corbett) in free agency.

The loss of three starting linemen in one offseason would be a heavy load for any team to bear, but for the Rams it could be catastrophic. Sean McVay's scheme is built around offensive line continuity, keeping the same starters on the field week-in and week-out. The Rams were first or tied for first in offensive line continuity in 2017, 2018, and 2020, and while we haven't calculated every team's numbers for 2021 yet, we can tell you that L.A.'s top five linemen in 2022 missed only five starts between them in a 17-game season.

Corbett in particular has been a rock, playing every single offensive snap in 45 of L.A.'s last 46 games. Allen has not been quite as reliable—he missed half of 2019 with an MCL injury and spent all of 2020 on the bench behind Austin Blythe—but the Rams are going to have a difficult time replacing any starting players this offseason. They are right up against the salary cap, and their only pick in the first four rounds of the draft will be a compensatory selection at the end of Round 3.

Major Free Agents: C Brian Allen, WR Odell Beckham Jr., RG Austin Corbett, DT Sebastian Joseph-Day, RB Sony Michel, ER Von Miller, CB Darious Williams

In less than half a season with the Rams, Miller finished second on the team (behind Aaron Donald, of course) with a dozen tackles for loss. Then he led the Rams with a half-dozen more TFL in the playoffs. He turns 33 this month and probably won't get a long-term offer, but he would immediately be the best player on the defensive front for several teams in the league, and the Rams probably won't have room for him in their budget.

Darious Williams has emerged in the past two years as a quality starter opposite Jalen Ramsey. He started 17 games including the playoffs, missing exactly two defensive snaps in L.A.'s last 12 games. Sebastian Joseph-Day, best known as The Rams' Other Defensive Tackle, started 31 games in 2019 and 2020 and the first seven of 2021 before tearing his pec; he was active for the Super Bowl, but did not play. Sony Michel, acquired via trade last August, led the Rams with 845 rushing yards in the regular season and added a career-high 21 catches despite splitting time with Darrell Henderson.

The torn ACL Odell Beckham suffered in the Super Bowl puts him in an odd spot. He likely won't be ready to play when the season begins, so any team that signs him (and the Rams have made it clear they are interested) would likely offer a one-year deal, knowing he won't even play all of that one year but would be around for the playoffs.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams must make decisions on re-signing these Restricted Free Agents

Who will Les Snead and Sean McVay decide to bring back?
By Venie Randy Soares Mar 4, 2022

There is much debate over which of the Los Angeles Rams big name free agents will be retained and how large of a salary they will command. But there is another tier of players who can offer value to the team and be re-signed for much less money, Restricted Free Agents (RFA). For 2022, LA has five RFA’s whose return to the team has yet to be decided.

What is an RFA?

A player with an expired contract and three accrued seasons in the NFL is tethered to his team through restricted free agency. If the Rams decide to keep their options open on a player who meets that criteria, they can choose to let him go and become a free agent or they can apply a tender offer. In either case, the player is free to negotiate with any team they choose and accept a deal.

Tender offers are assignments that give the Rams the option to match the offer, re-sign the player at a preset amount, or receive compensation if the let the player go. There are four categories of tenders and the re-signing amounts from are included.

• First round- The Rams would place a re-sign value of $5.4 mil on the player and would be allowed to match another teams offer to keep him. If the Rams let the player go, they would receive a first round draft pick as compensation for the loss.

• Second round- The same rules apply, except the re-sign value would be $4 mil or they would receive a second round pick.

• Original round- Again, the same rules with the re-sign value becoming $2.5 mil or LA would receive a draft pick equal to the player’s draft position.

• Right of first refusal- The Rams would be able to match an offer, re-sign at $2.4 mil, but would not receive any compensation if they decline to match.
According to overthecap.com, the Rams currently have top 51 offseason salary liabilities of $221.4 mil and have to trim that number down before the NFL’s official start of 2022 league year, March 16. The salary cap for next season has been reportedly set at $208.2 mil.

View: https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1470879040903036931?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1470879040903036931%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.turfshowtimes.com%2F2022%2F3%2F4%2F22960597%2Fla-rams-restricted-free-agents-les-snead-sean-mcvay

That $13.2 mil shortfall would disappear if Andrew Whitworth, as he hints, retires. Even if Whit decides to play next season, a few restructures would ensure the Rams have ample money to sign the in-house or outside talent they need to fill out the 2022 roster.

Which RFA’s should LA tender?

• Matt Gay - A must-sign player. But at what value? Top kickers earn around $5 mil per year and Gay fits into this tier. 64 of 65 extra points and 46 of 50 field goals as a Ram. If LA can’t work out an extension, a second round tender at $4 mil would be a fair consolation.

• Troy Reeder - He’s had his ups and downs but overall, Reeder has been worth the league minimums he’s been paid. Since he was undrafted, there is no realistic argument for offering a tender. If LA wants to bring him back, let him become a free agent and offer him another league minimum contract.

• Travin Howard - Howard is in the same boat as Reeder. Although he flashed during the Rams run to Super Bowl LVI, injuries have limited him to 200 defensive snaps in three years. A seventh round draft pick, his potential has still not been fully realized, but the league minimum is the right salary.

View: https://twitter.com/RamsOnFilm/status/1487996303107837956?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1487996303107837956%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.turfshowtimes.com%2F2022%2F3%2F4%2F22960597%2Fla-rams-restricted-free-agents-les-snead-sean-mcvay

• Coleman Shelton - If the Rams don’t think they can re-sign Brian Allen and Austin Corbett, should they risk letting Shelton slip away? Or start completely over at the pivot? My fall back position has been that LA let Austin Blythe, a serviceable player at two positions, leave for less than $1 mil, so it’s hard to make a case for paying Shelton the minimum tender of $2.4 mil. Unless the Rams braintrust has a plan for him, there are a lot of centers to choose from at that price. He’s been a good backup but most likely wouldn’t have a lot of suitors in free agency. Let him go and try to bring him back around the minimum.

• Jamil Demby - Not a lot of need for a perennial practice squad player. The big guy, drafted out of Maine in 2018, hasn’t seen a pro snap since 2019. The Rams must like something about him, they keep bringing him back as a camp body.

Go ahead and bring them all back in 2022

As important as continuity is to a football program, money is often the deciding factor on who stays and who goes. Particularly on the bottom half of the roster. Matt Gay is the the lone LA RFA who would leave a major hole in the roster and needs to be protected. Reeder, Howard, and Shelton are all functional rotation/situational/special teams players. Effort should be made to bring them back at a commensurate salary. Demby? If the past four season are of any indication, we’ll see him again when trying camp comes around.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
OBj is expected back to play beginning of November per Ian Rap. PLEASE resign him
Nothing more than one of the talking heads wild ass guess and should have nothing to do with a contract. Second blow out of the same knee, he won’t be fully recovered until 2022 if ever.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Nothing more than one of the talking heads wild ass guess and should have nothing to do with a contract. Second blow out of the same knee, he won’t be fully recovered until 2022 if ever.
It was reported before the super bowl that he was going to have surgery to repair something in that knee anyways. So it makes me wonder how severe this tear was of if it's simply he tore it due to the area that was going to be repaired anyways.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
It was reported before the super bowl that he was going to have surgery to repair something in that knee anyways. So it makes me wonder how severe this tear was of if it's simply he tore it due to the area that was going to be repaired anyways.
Yeah they knew it was a problem and being a non-contact situation makes me think it was a serious injury.

For a guy whose game is dependent on his wheels, this is a problem.

Love what he was doing but, he’ll be 31 before he’s back to whatever his new full capacity is. No way I’m giving more than 2 years with incentives for performance and a low base.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If Tutu excels next year, it’s going to be murder (as in the multitude of crows that will be eaten) on a lot of you here.

We all (Rams fans, that is) want that to happen, right?

That pick is a multilayered disappointment. Unless they can beef Tutu up to look more like Tyrique Hill I can’t see him panning out.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
That pick is a multilayered disappointment. Unless they can beef Tutu up to look more like Tyrique Hill I can’t see him panning out.
Your doubt is understandable. As long as you hope you’re wrong, we’re not in disagreement.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
WfqMIjT.gif

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Which Ram FA's can stay, who must go, and how they fit under the cap

Why OBJ is a must-keep, why Sony Michel must go, and which Rams free agents remain on the fence
By Steven Ridings Mar 7, 2022
1646751057785.png

Many people doubted that Les Snead would be able to build a Super Bowl champion roster in 2021, and whether or not we are overrating the process by focusing too much on the result, there’s no question where the Los Angeles Rams stand today. As Super Bowl champions.

One of the main roadblocks between the 2020 Rams and the 2021 Super Bowl was the seemingly impossible contracts to escape and a shrinking amount of cap space, but Snead managed to navigate through those hurdles to win the Lombardi.

In this offseason series, you will read about L.A.’s roadblocks—and how they plan to get around them—to hopefully win another Super Bowl with most of the same roster.

This week I will dive into the Rams pending free agents, their market values, and the Rams likelihood of retaining assets.

This is Week 2 of my offseason series of the Los Angeles Rams Roster Overview and last week I kicked things off with a look at how the Rams will likely adjust their salary cap, through restructures. If you didn’t have a chance to read it, check it out here because it will set the stage for how Snead can afford the outgoing free agents this month.

Building off of the previous article, LA would have $21,144,836 in cap space, with Andrew Whitworth’s retirement decision/salary still not factored. With that fluid cap space, there is plenty of room for the Rams to get creative in bringing back key assets to run it back. Unfortunately with 20 pending free agents, Snead will not be able to retain everyone. Here are the names:

LA Rams 2022 Pending Free Agents​

Players:FA Type:Market Value:
John Wolford, QBERFAVeteran Minimum
Sony Michel, RBUFA$5 million / AAV
Buddy Howell, RBUFAMinimum
Odell Beckham Jr, WRUFA$13 million / AAV
Brandon Powell, WR/KRUFAMinimum
Johnny Mundt, TEUFAVeteran Minimum
Joe Noteboom, LTUFA$12 million / AAV
Coleman Shelton, OG/CRFA$1 million / AAV
Jamil Demby, OGRFAVeteran Minimum
Brian Allen, CUFA$5.5 million / AAV
Austin Corbett, RGUFA$9 million / AAV
Sebastian Joseph-Day, iDLUFA$6 million / AAV
Troy Reeder, ILBRFA$1 million / AAV
Travin Howard, ILBRFA$1 million / AAV
Von Miller, EDGEUFA$15 million / AAV
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, EDGEUFA$6 million / AAV
Darious Williams, CBUFA$10 million / AAV
Jake Gervase, SSigned (Futures)$0.8 million / AAV
Antoine Brooks, SSigned (Futures)$0.8 million / AAV
Matt Gay, KRFA$2.5 million / AAV
There are a pair of names from the 20 names that have already been retained. Jake Gervase and Antoine Brooks signed futures deals: $837,500 (Gervase) and $895,000 (Brooks). Those numbers were already included in my initial cap space number.

LET THEM WALK (5)

• Sony Michel
  • Buddy Howell
  • Jamil Demby
  • Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
  • Darious Williams
With high confidence, there are a number of names that are unlikely to be pursued by the team either because of past performance, financial constraints, and other roster needs/pursuits.

Sony Michel was a great trade and he served a huge role for the Rams, but when Akers and Henderson were healthy, we saw where Michel ranked when they’re healthy. He only saw one carry in the Super Bowl after rushing for over 400 yards in the month of December. That indicates to me that LA is comfortable with Akers and Henderson as RB1 and RB2. Jake Funk will likely be the RB3 with a late draft pick or cheap FA serving as competition. Howell falls in this category because the Rams have his replacement in Funk. Howell’s only chance would likely be Special Teams.

Super Bowl LVI - Los Angeles Rams v Cincinnati Bengals

Jamil Demby failed to see the field this entire year (not a bad thing) after being on IR. He also hasn’t been a reliable lineman over his past four years. I personally would welcome Okoronkwo back on a minimum deal, but I think we saw Samson Ebukam net a sizable deal with the 49ers for his small sample size. I think Okoronkwo is better and can manage the same amount.

Darious Williams will be sought after by CB-needy teams on the free agent market. The Rams don’t need to overpay to keep a corner that took a step back in 2021 after a solid 2020 season. They also have David Long Jr and Robert Rochell as options across from Jalen Ramsey already.

LOCKS TO STAY (5)

• Joe Noteboom
  • Odell Beckham Jr
  • Coleman Shelton
  • Matt Gay
  • John Wolford
This time, I am admittingly stretching my unbiased take. But here’s why: as much as I would love to see Andrew Whitworth play another year, I do think he will be retiring. That leaves Joe Noteboom as the clear cut option moving forward at left tackle. Unless Sean McVay feels incredibly confident making Alaric Jackson, a 2021 rookie, or another free agent the new left tackle in 2022, then Joe Noteboom will be returning and finally get his opportunity to be the blindside blocker for this franchise. If Snead/McVay want to run it back and win with this core, then they can’t risk losing two left tackles in free agency. You have to keep one.

View: https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/1485396585802514433?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1485396585802514433%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.turfshowtimes.com%2F2022%2F3%2F7%2F22961196%2Frams-free-agents-salary-cap-obj-von-miller-contracts

Odell Beckham Jr is retained because of a few factors: 1) His second ACL tear on the same knee significantly affects the market he was likely to draw. 2) OBJ wanted to be in LA and he felt comfortable and at home. 3) With his rehab likely to keep him out until October at earliest, OBJ’s best chance at building his value again is with a QB that he has a rapport with and an offense he can be successful in…in other words, Stafford and the Los Angeles Rams.

Coleman Shelton is an interesting free agent name on the list. Why is he prioritized? He’s a restricted free agent. The Rams will have the advantage in contract talks compared to other teams if they feel like his market is expanding. But in this case, I think it will be quiet and Snead will want to retain another offensive lineman that saw starter snaps in 2021. Shelton could even find himself as the starting center for 2022.

With how consistent Matt Gay has been as the placekicker, LA will bring him back. His 2021 season was overlooked by many. Yes, he had an odd stretch in the playoffs with a short field goal miss at Tampa Bay and a miss in the conference championship. Gay has also gone 46-of-50 as a Ram. The front office will keep him as an RFA by either using an original round tender or right of first refusal tender ($2.1 - $2.4 million).

I’m personally a fan of John Wolford. I think he sticks with LA for at least one more year because of his ERFA designation. Being able to keep a backup QB in the same system for another year at the league minimum is a good deal for Los Angeles when strapped for cash to fill out the roster.

CHANCES OF RETENTION ABOVE 50% (4)

• Brandon Powell, WR/KR
  • Brian Allen, C
  • Von Miller, EDGE
  • Travin Howard, ILB
I think the Rams found a quality punt returner in Brandon Powell. It shouldn’t be hard to retain him with right around a minimum deal.

I think Snead will try to bring back Brian Allen. I don’t necessarily agree with that decision. It’s right around 50/50 for me. Brian Allen showed glimpses of being reliable, but then he also looks very bad and commits silly holding penalties where he essentially tackles defenders. Considering it was his first year, his ability could get better (he made good progress from 2019 to 2021). This will likely come down to the market of how many other teams need a center and if Allen is willing to keep his starting job but taking less money.

Same case with Allen, that the Rams are probably prioritizing Von Miller; considering Aaron Donald has vocalized keeping the future Hall of Famer. I think LA’s free agent priorities should be 1A) Noteboom, 1B) V. Miller, and 3) OBJ in terms of the splashier moves. This will come down to Von Miller deciding between Denver and Los Angeles. And with that: it could come down to whether or not Denver is able to secure a veteran/franchise quarterback like Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson. If not, Miller might elect the safer route of playing for a Lombardi in LA again.

Travin Howard is probably the sleeper of all the pending free agents. He was one of the highest graded defenders this season. Yes, he only played 8.7% of the defensive snaps, but his impact when on the field was significant. Considering his limited usage and significant contribution, the Rams should easily pull the trigger on keeping the RFA over Troy Reeder. The only reason they elect Reeder over Howard is if they prioritize Reeder’s run defense. But even, Reeder’s tackling isn’t a sure thing, as fans know.

RETENTION BELOW 50% (4)

• Johnny Mundt, TE
  • Austin Corbett, RG
  • Sebastian Joseph-Day, iDL
  • Troy Reeder, ILB
With Brycen Hopkins and Kendall Blanton making some waves down the stretch, Johnny Mundt finds himself on the outside looking in this free agency despite being TE2 after training camp. With Mundt’s pass catching being the weakest of all the tight-ends, I think the Rams ultimately take a pass.

Trading for Austin Corbett was a great deal by Les Snead. But it’s not a deal where you commit long term to an offensive lineman that is inconsistent. Too many times this season, Corbett was inconsistent in his pass blocking and run blocking grades. That unpredictability after a Super Bowl run doesn’t inspire confidence for 2022. I think you let other teams bid for him on the open market and you hope to recoup a compensatory pick for 2023.

Ugh, a fan favorite. Sebastian Joseph-Day was beginning to evolve after his third year and in the start of 2021. Unfortunately, a pec tear kept him out for more than half the season. He returned for the Super Bowl, but in a small capacity. As a space eater, teams that need run-defense will likely call him on Day 1 or 2 of free agency. The Chargers and Steelers are likely fits. And with A’Shawn Robinson returning and Bobby Brown III going into Year 2, it’s hard to justify a contract offer for SJD.

As mentioned in Howard’s blurb, Reeder’s tackling makes it hard to argue to keep him. Yes, he is a special teams player and wore the green dot a few times, but you have to believe Ernest Jones takes over as the 3-down ILB. Reeder’s pass coverage is also significantly behind Howard’s and in a passing league, I would take as many cover guys as you can find.

It all boils down to Snead’s and Rams’ chief negotiator Tony Pastoors’ ability to manipulate the cap. I think there is a way to keep Noteboom, Miller, and OBJ for 2022 along with a few “Robins” (as Snead calls the depth guys). Between the Locks and the Above 50% groups (except Brian Allen), LA would potentially be looking at this spending breakdown..

John Wolford: $0.9 million

Odell Beckham Jr: $6.0 million

Brandon Powell: $0.9 million

Joe Noteboom: $13.0 million

Coleman Shelton: $1.0 million

Von Miller: $15.0 million

Travin Howard: $1.0 million

Matt Gay: $2.5 million

That number comes out to $40.3 million in 2022 spending from an annual average perspective. The Rams will also have the ability to frontload and backload contracts to get within their framework. A guy like OBJ’s contract is more likely to be backloaded (if greater than one year), thus decreasing the amount of money spent for 2022. And lastly, the LA Rams can find additional money through extensions to players on the roster currently... which I will cover in next week’s roster overview!

Follow Turf Show Times on Twitter and Facebook in order to be informed when the next roster overview drops!

Which moves above would you cheer for and which ones do you vehemently disagree with? I can’t know unless you comment, so let us know below!

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I still think the Rams give OBj a 2-3 year deal. If he comes back and balls (I think he does), we don't want to go through this again.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still think the Rams give OBj a 2-3 year deal. If he comes back and balls (I think he does), we don't want to go through this again.
I agree. Get him his money in a signing bonus and have 3 years to write it off.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
1. Von

2. OBJ (short term deal with incentives)

3. Boom (if they aren't confident with other LT options)

4. FA OL add (if they are confident with other LT options and priority to guys who were cut)

Rest of the list I could care less. They will keep restricteds btw like Shelton.