Rams UFA Re-signing Priority List (Top 10)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
*This assumes that the Andrew Whitworth retires.

1. Von Miller
The trade for Miller has already paid off, but who doesn't want to see a full season of Miller, Donald and Floyd?

2. Joe Noteboom
If Big Whit rides off into the sunset, Noteboom is the most logical choice to fill his role. The Rams have been grooming him, and he's played well when he's had the opportunity.

3. Brian Allen
I think it could be difficult to retain Noteboom, Allen and Austin Corbett. Corbett is the easiest to replace, in my opinion, so I give the edge to Allen.

4. Odell Beckham, Jr.
The Rams will start the season with a great trio of Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods and Van Jefferson. Things happen, though, and come the stretch run, how great would it be to get OBJ back? I'm hoping for a 2-3 deal (incentive based early, team options in 2023-24).

5. Austin Corbett
Though the lowest priority of the three UFA OL, I'd still bring him back at the right price.

6. Darious Williams
The Rams need to evaluate why DWill's play dropped last year. Was it the scheme, health, effort, something else? I suspect some other team will outbid for DWill's services, but if he could be retained for a fair price (maybe something in the $7-8M range), I'd consider retaining him.

7. Donte Deayon
Here's a guy who provides good depth and should be affordable.

8. Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
Another potentially affordable piece who has shown flashes as a pass rusher.

9. Sebastian Joseph-Day
With A'Shawn Robinson and Gregg Gaines playing very good football in the second half of the year and the playoffs, SJD is the odd man out. Bobby Brown could be poised to take his snaps next year. Probably a guy who's best option is elsewhere.

10. Sony Michel
A great rental, but not worth more than a veteran minimum contract with Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson returning.

MachS

Hall of Fame
We will likely sign only one of Allen/Corbett and have Shelton fill the other spot. Not sure who I'd rather have, whoever is cheaper I guess? I think Darious Williams is gone for sure, and Sony Michel as well. We have depth at those positions and both aren't must signs IMO. SJD is also gone I think. Gaines and A'Shawn are just better players. Who knows about Obo and DD. Obo if we can sign him for cheap, you can never have too many edge rushers. And DD I think would definitely make a nice depth piece.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with everything Avenger Ram said except for Darious Williams. No way I'd go over 5 mil and that would be a 1 year prove-it deal. And if Noteboom wants serious money (over 10-12 mil per), I would ask Big Whit to come back and then Alaric Jackson can take over. IF the Rams like him of course. He looked great filling in for Boom during that 1 game against a very good Minnesota D, IIRC.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Would rather sign Corbett than Allen. He's younger, more versatile, and probably better. Which means someone's going to shell out a lot of money for him.

Ultimately, I don't think we sign Corbett or Allen. I think that signing Von Miller, OBJ, Noteboom, and an extension for Gay should be our top priorities.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Signing Allen, Corbs, SJD, Williams, Deayon, or Oko would be a mistake. Period. Because none are worth keeping at FA prices when the dropoff from them to our depth replacements is so minimal. In some cases the depth might even be better. So all of them are gone IMO because the Rams know this.

Signing Michel would be a mistake because paying a depth RB at FA rates would be stupid. It's a position you can find in every draft all through said drafts. We're a star-oriented roster that's the cost of it unfortunately.

That leaves only Beckham, Boom and Miller.

I was convinced prior to Beckham's injury that we'd keep him and move Woody. After the injury I think we just keep both now. Though IMO it might be wise to move Woody because I don't think he's worth that contract but I realize I am alone or damn near in that take. So the Rams catch a break here and keep that WR room loaded which is a good thing for us. That injury was a windfall for the Rams.

Miller's basically the big piece the Rams have to sit down with. He's the guy teams want which means options which means competition which means pricey. Rams are readying shit to try to get this done I am sure, which might include movement of some players we like. I'm ready to see a guy I don't want to lose get dealt or cut.

Boom we'll see. He's the one I don't have a feel for either way. But if the Rams want him they will move Whit's cap space to him basically.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice post. I have been thinking about FA’s that want to come here for the environment and team camaraderie?

Not saying they will flick here, just knowing they have a great shot at a championship in a winning culture does have great value.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Would rather sign Corbett than Allen. He's younger, more versatile, and probably better. Which means someone's going to shell out a lot of money for him.

Both Allen & Corbett are 26 years old, and Allen is about a month younger.

I'll go with keeping Allen as I believe he'll be less expensive and won't leave us in as much of a hole as quality OG's are easier to find.

Re-sign Von Miller, OBj, Noteboom & Allen, they are less easily replaced.
Corbett, Williams, SJD, Michel & OBO are replaceable.
jmo.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Both Allen & Corbett are 26 years old, and Allen is about a month younger.

I'll go with keeping Allen as I believe he'll be less expensive and won't leave us in as much of a hole as quality OG's are easier to find.
jmo.

Didn't know that. My mistake. I'd still rather go with Corbett; it's not like Allen won't be expensive as hell, as we're talking about a Pro Bowl center here. Corbett, I feel, is more versatile and can play center.

Ultimately, though, my four are Von, OBJ, Noteboom, and Gay. That's it when it comes to long-term/expensive deals.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Nice post. I have been thinking about FA’s that want to come here for the environment and team camaraderie?

Not saying they will flick here, just knowing they have a great shot at a championship in a winning culture does have great value.
Signing normal FAs will affect comp pick formulas, which we rely heavy on since. I don't foresee us playing in Free Agency much other than signing our own, and grabbing vet minimum contract type players.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Didn't know that. My mistake. I'd still rather go with Corbett; it's not like Allen won't be expensive as hell, as we're talking about a Pro Bowl center here. Corbett, I feel, is more versatile and can play center.

Ultimately, though, my four are Von, OBJ, Noteboom, and Gay. That's it when it comes to long-term/expensive deals.

Matt Gay is an RFA, we'll tender him high and he'll return.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I started with the presumption that Whit retires. If he doesn't, it creates an interesting situation with Noteboom. I'd think he'd have other options, so we'd probably lose him. Jackson would then be the third OT/potential heir apparent.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree on Michel, I believe he could be had for a reasonable deal. With Akers and Henderson both missing significant time in their pro careers, its foolish IMO to think just a draft pick will do.
Akers and Henderson are both on rookie deals and combined salary is just over 2 mill. That's peanuts to be spending on a team who wants to run the ball

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I don't care if he's a RFA; he's twenty-seven and just getting into his prime. You sign people like that.
The only thing about him Memento that worried me about his overall leg was coming up 5 yards short on a 47 yard FG in the playoffs.

That was just odd and makes you miss the Greg the leg, to an extent

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Teams have seen Noteboom play. There will be competition from a OLT needy team that has cap space. Joe will not come cheap and is likely gone.

One of Allen or Corbett is likely gone. With Shelton showing some promise in limited reps and Anchrum, Brewer, and Evans waiting in the wings and the Rams out of cap space, both could be goners.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Signing normal FAs will affect comp pick formulas, which we rely heavy on since. I don't foresee us playing in Free Agency much other than signing our own, and grabbing vet minimum contract type players.
Or released players, who don't affect the comp formula

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't care if he's a RFA; he's twenty-seven and just getting into his prime. You sign people like that.
No, you tender him with an original draft tender. Since the Bucs drafted him with a 5th rounder, he gets a cheap 1 year deal or someone signs him to an offer sheet the Rams match, or take the 5th round compensation. Its a win/win/win

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know the mantra is that Akers is the #1 RB, but I'm ambivalent about him. He has been injured and he didn't do that much for us this offseason, where Michel was maybe less flashy/twitchy, but more reliable in getting at least a small gain instead of a loss. I must have missed the games last year when Akers swayed most of you, but I have never been that impressed with him.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know the mantra is that Akers is the #1 RB, but I'm ambivalent about him. He has been injured and he didn't do that much for us this offseason, where Michel was maybe less flashy/twitchy, but more reliable in getting at least a small gain instead of a loss. I must have missed the games last year when Akers swayed most of you, but I have never been that impressed with him.
As a practical matter, though, Akers and Henderson are both on their rookie contracts, while Michel is a UFA. I think we can add depth in the draft. Look at the some of the guys drafted last year on the third day of the draft: Rhamondre Stevenson (Rd. 4/Pick 120), Chuba Hubbard (Rd. 4/Pick 126), Elijah Mitchell (Round 6/Pick 194). All three had 600+ rushing yards (Mitchell had almost 1,000).