Rams UFA Re-signing Priority List (Top 10)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
With Woody the issue is the contract that he just had to have. That contract is going to end up showing him the door, and I know that because he's not going to be able to hold his spot on this roster while making upwards of $19M by the end of that thing four years from now. In fact the $15M cap hit he has this year has to be considered vs needs at other positions like LT and blindside edge to retain Von. So he's living on borrowed time IMO. I love the guy. His flexibility is great but it's not enough to carry him vs better use of cap that will equate into more wins than a second or third well paid WR.

I don't see the Rams letting Woods go for a least a year and probably two years. It doesn't make sense with all the dead money for one thing. The savings in not that much in the grand scheme of things.

Woods has been considered one of the few physically tough offensive players for Rams who outperformed his first contract which was a steal for the Rams. He is an important leader on the Rams even if they have others.

Trading him after his injury doesn't seem to be McVay's and the Rams style. It also would send the wrong message to the team.

Woods could be ready early into the season while OBJ very late or early playoffs.

We will see what happens.

CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $65,000,000SIGNING BONUS-AVERAGE SALARY$16,250,000GTD AT SIGN:$18,500,000TOTAL GTD:$32,000,000FREE AGENT:2026 / UFA
�����

BONUS BREAKDOWNCAP DETAILSCASH DETAILS
YEARAGEBASE SALARYSIGNINGROSTERRESTRUCTURECAP HITDEAD CAPYEARLY CASH
Contract details by year
28$5,000,000$200,000$2,000,000$1,175,000$8,375,000$22,850,000$8,067,266($8,067,266)
Contract details by year
29$2,500,000$200,000-$3,175,000$5,875,000$17,975,000$12,500,000($20,567,266)

POTENTIAL OUT: 2022, 2 YR, $20,567,266; $12,100,000 DEAD CAP​

Contract details by year
30$10,000,000$200,000$3,500,000$2,000,000$15,700,000$12,100,000$13,500,000($34,067,266)
Contract details by year
31$13,750,000$200,000-$2,000,000$15,950,000$6,400,000$13,750,000($47,817,266)
Contract details by year
32$13,750,000$200,000$2,000,000$2,000,000$17,950,000$4,200,000$15,750,000($63,567,266)
Contract details by year
33$15,500,000-$2,000,000$2,000,000$19,500,000$2,000,000$17,500,000($81,067,266)
Free Agent Year
34UFA

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see the Rams letting Woods go for a least a year and probably two years. It doesn't make sense with all the dead money for one thing. The savings in not that much in the grand scheme of things.

Woods has been considered one of the few physically tough offensive players for Rams who outperformed his first contract which was a steal for the Rams. He is an important leader on the Rams even if they have others.

Trading him after his injury doesn't seem to be McVay's and the Rams style. It also would send the wrong message to the team.

Woods could be ready early into the season while OBJ very late or early playoffs.

We will see what happens.

CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $65,000,000SIGNING BONUS-AVERAGE SALARY$16,250,000GTD AT SIGN:$18,500,000TOTAL GTD:$32,000,000FREE AGENT:2026 / UFA
�����
YEARAGEBASE SALARYSIGNINGROSTERRESTRUCTURECAP HITDEAD CAPYEARLY CASH
BONUS BREAKDOWNCAP DETAILSCASH DETAILS
Contract details by year
28$5,000,000$200,000$2,000,000$1,175,000$8,375,000$22,850,000$8,067,266($8,067,266)
Contract details by year
29$2,500,000$200,000-$3,175,000$5,875,000$17,975,000$12,500,000($20,567,266)

POTENTIAL OUT: 2022, 2 YR, $20,567,266; $12,100,000 DEAD CAP​

Contract details by year
30$10,000,000$200,000$3,500,000$2,000,000$15,700,000$12,100,000$13,500,000($34,067,266)
Contract details by year
31$13,750,000$200,000-$2,000,000$15,950,000$6,400,000$13,750,000($47,817,266)
Contract details by year
32$13,750,000$200,000$2,000,000$2,000,000$17,950,000$4,200,000$15,750,000($63,567,266)
Contract details by year
33$15,500,000-$2,000,000$2,000,000$19,500,000$2,000,000$17,500,000($81,067,266)
Free Agent Year
34UFA
This (IMO) is one of those they will never reach the end of the contract deals. Woods is my favorite player (he's just a good all-around guy). From what I have read, watched and heard he's the guy you want your kids to emulate and strive to be like.

Back on topic. Hopefully, Woods will rework his deal to help the team out. I still have hopes of seeing him catch a skinny post for a TD in the Super Bowl!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think the Rams have continuity at Center with Shelton. They know him. They've been practicing together for years. He's started and played well with them. So it makes zero sense to pay Allen. He's not some special player who you would pay under this model. If he was a lot better, then yeah, pay him. But he's not. He's very average, with some physicality weaknesses, and the Rams should be trying to get better at running the ball. So no brainer there IMO and I will be very surprised if they pay him. Let him go, start Shelton, and draft a backup midrounds.

Corbs is a guard and the dropoff from him to one of the other options on the depth chart shouldn't be a problem. It would be great to keep him sure. But is it wise with FA dollars.

I feel like the Rams have probably told both they're gonna hit the market free and clear. Boom's the question IMO.
All due respect, Merlin, but you do seem to have a hard-on for Allen. Lol.

I mean, he DID make the Pro Bowl as an alternate, so he’s definitely not chopped liver.

Myself, I’ll be happy with Carberry’s decision to either extend him or allow him to walk.

My prediction is that if he’s affordable they extend him for 3-5 years.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
For the record I pointed out he may be in the mix, using the start as example. So it feels like the Rams may have a plan that doesn't include Boom. And really that was in response to the thought process that he was an automatic signing.

So what you suggest may happen. But for me Corbs and Allen are not part of this equation at all. We have an in-house replacement ready for Allen and probably for Corbs.

Boom by himself... IF he gets a big offer I think he's gone. And then I presume they either pay someone to come in, if they like the overall addition vs cost, or they fill it in-house as well. Really the OL we could potentially field without any of them looks good to me. Here's what I had in the other thread after the OL outlook and IF they like Jackson and feel he's good enough and/or that they have someone else like Edwards or even Whit as a fallback, well, then we could end up stronger than had we paid Boom.

Depth Chart (No FAs retained):

LT: A Jackson
LG: Edwards
C: Shelton / DRAFT
RG: Evans / Anchrum
RT: Havenstein / DRAFT

But what I like better would be...

Depth Chart (No FAs retained one added):

LT: A Jackson
LG: Scherff
C: Shelton / DRAFT
RG: Edwards
RT: Havenstein / DRAFT

We'd have to draft a backup competitor for Drake at center. And another OT for the pipeline.
Nope. The idea of Evans as either starting OG scares the HELL outta me. Just… No.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Nope. The idea of Evans as either starting OG scares the HELL outta me. Just… No.
I do wonder what the internal depth chart is right now for RG, if Corbett leaves. Is Evans #1? Is it Shelton? Can Anchrum or Brewer play there? Alaric Jackson is a tackle.. but he's a big boy and I think he could anchor better than Noteboom?
Or are we looking at trying to find a plug and play at the end of the third?

Ram65

Legend
This (IMO) is one of those they will never reach the end of the contract deals. Woods is my favorite player (he's just a good all-around guy). From what I have read, watched and heard he's the guy you want your kids to emulate and strive to be like.

Back on topic. Hopefully, Woods will rework his deal to help the team out. I still have hopes of seeing him catch a skinny post for a TD in the Super Bowl!

Woods exemplifies the philosophy that McVay brought to the Rams and was a big part of turning the organization around. He leads by example and is a team player that will do what is asked blocking, running and catching the ball.

Woods just got his new deal so it's not about redoing his deal I'm not sure but, I think he saved the Rams money this past year. I'm responding to Woods' cap hit this year of $15.7M. If cut the Rams save only $3.6M. Considering the low savings, what he has meant to the Rams organization and his need to rehab I doubt they cut him or trade him this year.

The NFL can be a nasty business so anything is possible. After a successful rehab and solid numbers then maybe the Rams could offer him up for trade or even cut him to save cap space. In 2023 the numbers show a $15.95M cap hit and dead money of only $6.4M which would be a savings of $9.55M. Should he have problems rehabbing or get reinjured during the season then the Rams will have to make decisions.

The last two years of his deal would not be hard to take the dead cap hits and get out of the contract.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
All due respect, Merlin, but you do seem to have a hard-on for Allen. Lol.

I mean, he DID make the Pro Bowl as an alternate, so he’s definitely not chopped liver.

Myself, I’ll be happy with Carberry’s decision to either extend him or allow him to walk.

My prediction is that if he’s affordable they extend him for 3-5 years.
He gets beat too much for my liking. Gets pushed around too. I really don't care what accolades he's received any more than I cared that people were traipsing Blythe's PFF grades out there last offseason. He was an upgrade over Blythe for sure. But is that good enough to pay him in FA at that inflated rate?

I am tired of our run game failing due to DL in the backfield. So this concept that we can return everyone and expect to be able to win it all is crazy to me. We don't need a dominant run game, obviously, as we just won a Super Bowl with zero run game. But that doesn't mean it's not desired to have a fallback ground game for settling things down. And the better that run game gets the tougher this offense will be to shut down in the playoffs.

So from the perspective of getting better I think Allen isn't good enough. And from the perspective of paying him at a FA rate to return I think he's not good enough. Is that a hard-on? I suppose maybe it is but either way if we sign this dude the Rams will probably end up cutting his ass in a year or two and eating a cap hit. That's what happens when teams sign mediocre players in FA.

Corbs is better than him by the way. He's probably our most sure thing of the three FAs. But OG is the easiest to fill position on our OL and overpaying a guy who is very average is a mistake when your model involves paying the best and packing cheap labor around them on the roster. Rams have a pipeline that should produce the replacement with little dropoff.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The NFL can be a nasty business so anything is possible. After a successful rehab and solid numbers then maybe the Rams could offer him up for trade or even cut him to save cap space. In 2023 the numbers show a $15.95M cap hit and dead money of only $6.4M which would be a savings of $9.55M. Should he have problems rehabbing or get reinjured during the season then the Rams will have to make decisions.
I think prior to Odell's injury Woody was heading for trade. Because the WR2 in this offense was going to be Odell and paying a WR3 that much is folly.

But the injury changed that equation. Now if they move Woody the regular season looks rough without either him or Odell. Who's going to produce until we get 3 for the playoffs. So I'm guessing this will be Woody's last season in horns, and that's assuming Odell returns and boosts us in the playoffs like he did this past run.

Either way I am happy Woody got his payday. That he feels like he's not underpaid now. But he's going to have to collect most of that contract with another team IMO. It's just a matter of time.

Ram65

Legend
I think prior to Odell's injury Woody was heading for trade. Because the WR2 in this offense was going to be Odell and paying a WR3 that much is folly.

But the injury changed that equation. Now if they move Woody the regular season looks rough without either him or Odell. Who's going to produce until we get 3 for the playoffs. So I'm guessing this will be Woody's last season in horns, and that's assuming Odell returns and boosts us in the playoffs like he did this past run.

Either way I am happy Woody got his payday. That he feels like he's not underpaid now. But he's going to have to collect most of that contract with another team IMO. It's just a matter of time.

Well, yes at some point the Rams will most likely move on. I just don't see it this year as you suggested in your post that I quoted earlier. I didn't think the Rams would have traded Woods only to save $3.6M this year and what he has meant to the organization even if they signed an uninjured OBJ. The following year as I stated would be much greater savings. I hope the best for Woods and we just have to wait and see how the Rams play it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
There is a very good reason for your concerns about Bobby Evans being inserted into a LG or RG post. Go back & observe Evans in pre-season.......ugly, then early in the season with the offense when he had the opportunity to be the 6th OL hideous! Then Shelton took over:thumbsup1:. We again see Evans as the 6th when Shelton was filling in for Brian Allen @ center. It was still hideous. Bobby Evan did not make one block effective block from the outer exterior OT position, sorry his run/pass blocking was :crap:. Do you think he can get better in year 4?

I hold out much expectancy from former starting RT for the former NCAA champions Tremayne Anchrum's knee is fully healed & ready to be the foremost versatile interior OL'er in his 3rd season.

The surprising UDFA Alaric Jackson gets serious in the weight room since the SB with his extra flabby mid-section & adds strength to be a contender for the open RG post in addition to the LT & LG backup.

The athletic Max Pircher gets up to NFL speed @ the NFL RT post behind Havenstein.

The large 6-6/325 Chandler Brewer who will be entering his 3rd season will have his NFL head screwed back on after taking a season off a full season in 2020 to be an effective prospect @ starting @ RG after working primarily in @ both OT posts before last season.

Appears that Snead has found a new RAW OL project to groom to replace no longer under contract Jamil Demby in Oklahoma's Adrian Ealy.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We all want Akers and Henderson on the field, but, to date.....well, we need some depth.
That said, Im not opposed to a young back up....
Its scary to think that with Akers knee and Henderson’s history the backup RB is Jake ‘no knees’Funk.

I wanted a better RB picked last year.
I agree the OL is the key here. But I see Odell & Woody as two distinctly different pieces.

With Woody the issue is the contract that he just had to have. That contract is going to end up showing him the door, and I know that because he's not going to be able to hold his spot on this roster while making upwards of $19M by the end of that thing four years from now. In fact the $15M cap hit he has this year has to be considered vs needs at other positions like LT and blindside edge to retain Von. So he's living on borrowed time IMO. I love the guy. His flexibility is great but it's not enough to carry him vs better use of cap that will equate into more wins than a second or third well paid WR.

Odell is about what he does to our offense. He changes its potency in the redzone and on critical downs with his ability to pull that ball in on fades and sidelines. And we still haven't seen him and Stafford on the same page on the deep ball yet. So the two parties will find a way.

Again re: Woody it's a matter of time. Not sure when that move will be made but it's coming. Had Odell not been hurt he gets signed and Woody gets moved. The injury changes all that though. Now they will probably make both fit this year then move on next offseason.
You make it sound like a foregone conclusion that Woods would have been moved this year. I don’t think he would have , because OBJ has a history of injuries. It would be a risky move even if they both were healthy.

I’ll add an example of sentiment too. Consider how the Rams stuck with Allen through his rehab. It took two years and they kept faith in him thinking he’d work out, with no guarantees. Woods is like Mr Ram from all accounts. I could see parting down the road.
The dangerous thing here is writing Atwell off.

One good year means nothing in the NFL. One bad year means nothing in the NFL.

And while they're not perfect, the FO has definitely earned to at least not be criticized over a pick until two-three years in.

Brian Allen looked like a wasted pick, but they had a vision and plan and it may not have been until year 4, but he was the starting C on one of the best OLs in the NFL that won the Super Bowl. For all we know right now, the vision for Atwell comes true in year 3 or 4 and the pick ends up looking great.
The draft may be about the future but to some extent it is also about the present. It would be huge to have a guy like Creed at Center, for the next three years.
I saw enough "meh" from Van that I absolutely expect Atwell to take some of his reps in that deep threat role.

McVay has given significant playing time to one rookie in his tenure with the Rams - Kupp. His rookie year was always just going to be about learning to be an NFL player and learning the offense.

The draft is for the future. No rookies should be expected to contribute much on a contending team. Our model has shown that most rookies get red shirted or see reduced playing time.

The hilarity in it all is that Humphrey likely sits the bench all year, so nobody knows what we have in him, and there's a faction of fans upset with him not beating out Brian Allen.

The reality is people swore up and down that it was a bad pick and that the Rams should have drafted offensive linemen, and will just hold onto that until the end of time because they don't want to be wrong.
Atwell didn’t show anything to give me hope. He even played scared on punt return duty.

And I think your assumption that Humphries wouldn’t have started over Allen is wrong. By mid season he’d have been the starter, if not sooner. He has been the better player all season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’ll add an example of sentiment too. Consider how the Rams stuck with Allen through his rehab. It took two years and they kept faith in him thinking he’d work out, with no guarantees. Woods is like Mr Ram from all accounts. I could see parting down the road.
Allen wasn't making $15M as a three on the depth chart.

We will never know of course. Just how I see it. When Woody got that payday he changed the equation for how he fits. This model will not allow for a WR3 to make that much.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

We will never know of course. Just how I see it. When Woody got that payday he changed the equation for how he fits. This model will not allow for a WR3 to make that much.
Labeling Woods as a WR3 diminishes his his true value. As early as last season Kupp and Woods were being called 1A and 1B. He’s not your typical WR3.

I guess you could argue that at his age coming off an ACL that he may never be the same. But then again you would have to say the same about OBJ.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Yes, there's is a hidden cap problem in the retaining of the Rams 3 top WR's (OBJ/Kupp/Woods).

The overview of the WR cadre comes into this conversation here. This Org has invested recently highly valuable assets in obtaining young receivers from the draft utilizing priceless draft selection #2, #3, #4 & #7 in the last two drafts. Plus three other WR's in Koski, Jackson & Akers. These 7 younger WR's do possess some excellent abilities to go with the top 3 2021 WR's.

I see it as being a large mistake not to seize on this opportunity to utilize this strength in our normal 6 to 7 WR {Master & Practice Squad} Rosters.

Sure would save some serious $$$ to assist in other Ram units that are not as well blessed..i.e Edge Rushers/ outside Corners & Interior OL'ers.

Overall it is a very talented well-blended mixture of WR's in a beefy full WR room with 7 of its cadre being young & ascending.

Ignoring this issue will not make it go away. It will be addressed in one form or manner. It will not be easy or come out comfortable for us as Ram fans in the end.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Labeling Woods as a WR3 diminishes his his true value. As early as last season Kupp and Woods were being called 1A and 1B. He’s not your typical WR3.

I guess you could argue that at his age coming off an ACL that he may never be the same. But then again you would have to say the same about OBJ.
The moment they sign Odell is when Woody becomes WR3. IMO.

Now the injury changes everything obviously.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Several weeks ago before the SB gm. I was thinking that it would be best for the Rams to consider making Sony Michel an offer. This was due to the fact that every other Ram RB was injured this season several of them many times causing all kinds of issues. This running game was in a weakened state for the entire season due to this. Our running game in the SB was a near embarrassment too.

Since that time when I had this keeping Sony position, I believe that it would be best to let Sont depart & sign elsewhere. McVay showed me he has little use for Sony & greatly desires Cam Akers & Darryl Henderson on the field over Sony.

Sony Michel is rated the 4th best RB in UFA'cy. Played in many mega big games & always delivered. The Rams might end up with a possible 7th rd awarded compensatory pick in the 2023 draft.

His what PFF compiled on Sony:

80. RB SONY MICHEL, LOS ANGELES RAMS

The New England Patriots declined Michel’s fifth-year option for the 2022 season and subsequently traded him to the Rams for a fifth-round pick and a sixth-rounder that will likely convert into a fourth-rounder based on conditions. Michel was solid after taking over the starting job from Darrell Henderson in Week 13, but he offers little more than downhill, north-south running without much ability to break off big gains or factor as a receiver.

Strengths:
– Well-rounded runner
– Pass protection

Weaknesses:
– Doesn't offer much as a receiver
– High percentage of runs for loss or no gain

Scheme Fit/Role:
EARLY-DOWN ROTATIONAL BACK: Michel has now posted 70.0-plus PFF rushing grades in three of his four NFL seasons across multiple schemes. He will get downhill and move the chains on the ground, but he's provided little reason to send him out on many routes through four seasons.

Recent Injury History:
Michel missed seven games with a quad injury in 2020, but he has returned in 2021 and appeared in every game for the Rams. Michel had a relatively lengthy injury history (knee injuries, in particular) coming out of Georgia and bleeding into his rookie year with the Patriots.

Contract Projection: Two years, $8.5 million ($4.25M per year), $5 million total guaranteed

Bottom Line:

Michel has proven to be an effective runner across multiple offensive schemes, but he isn't an elite creator beyond what is blocked up and has struggled to make any kind of receiving impact to this point in his career.

It's my belief it would be a very good business decision to go with what the Rams have currently signed & look for 2022 future RB prospects to add. So the Rams RB room is currently looking like these six will be here going into the draft:

Darrell Henderson

Javian Hawkins
Xavier Jones
Cam Akers
Jake Funk

Raymond Calais

Will Rams sign free agent running back to replace Sony Michel in 2022?​

What free agent options does Les Snead have on the table to add depth to position for next season?

By Kenneth Arthur@KennethArthuRS Mar 1, 2022

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its scary to think that with Akers knee and Henderson’s history the backup RB is Jake ‘no knees’Funk.

I wanted a better RB picked last year.

You make it sound like a foregone conclusion that Woods would have been moved this year. I don’t think he would have , because OBJ has a history of injuries. It would be a risky move even if they both were healthy.

The draft may be about the future but to some extent it is also about the present. It would be huge to have a guy like Creed at Center, for the next three years.

Atwell didn’t show anything to give me hope. He even played scared on punt return duty.

And I think your assumption that Humphries wouldn’t have started over Allen is wrong. By mid season he’d have been the starter, if not sooner. He has been the better player all season.

Allen was on a less talented OL that dominated the Bengals in pass pro.

Creed was on a more talented OL that allowed the Bengals three man rush to harass Mahomes.

I'll take Allen.