Rams trying to get something done with Shelton

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That said I like him as a versatile backup. So what is the best option in retaining him for 3 more years but any additional $$ being no more than 2x the vet minimum?
At his age, with his resume of versatility, if he were to hit the open market I would think he would be looking at a deal similar to the one he signed a couple years back. 4-5 year deal, guaranteed money 1st 2 years, base salary in the 10-12 mill range.
That said, he's in for 15 mill in '24, and if released, he'd get that in signing bonus/1st year salary. So the Rams dont have much leverage to have him sign an extension at a below market rate. And any extension with the Rams would include a 10 mill dead cap hit on top of the deal.

WestCoastRam

Legend
At his age, with his resume of versatility, if he were to hit the open market I would think he would be looking at a deal similar to the one he signed a couple years back. 4-5 year deal, guaranteed money 1st 2 years, base salary in the 10-12 mill range.
That said, he's in for 15 mill in '24, and if released, he'd get that in signing bonus/1st year salary. So the Rams dont have much leverage to have him sign an extension at a below market rate. And any extension with the Rams would include a 10 mill dead cap hit on top of the deal.
Perhaps the only leverage is the historic tackle class this draft?

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
The Rams need to release Joe Noteboom-- He missed a little over half the games due to injuries over his career. It seemed like he got nicked up or injured in every game he played.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
The Rams need to release Joe Noteboom-- He missed a little over half the games due to injuries over his career. It seemed like he got nicked up or injured in every game he played.
That's what many believe. If they're going to do it, they're going to need to do it before his roster bonus kicks in. What are they thinking? That's what counts.

Could be:
> They intend to keep him
> They intend to release him
> They want to wait for the draft to transpire and trade him to a team who may have missed out on a premier OT.*** Or during the draft.

***If there are teams going to line up to give him starter money, why wouldn't they trade for him instead and get a $10 base salary/$10 mil 2024 cap hit? 5 mil in roster bonus is a small price to pay for a draft pick. Could even be conditional.....if he plays X amount of snaps it becomes a 5th instead of a 6th, etc. I agree, that scenario may be less likely than the first two.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
There's another 10 mill in dead cap coming in '25 if they keep him. Essentially, keeping him for this season "costs" 30 mill
Yeah, they need to get him to realize a paycut is better longterm for him if they can maybe add a yr at a lower salary as well. Then push out his void yrs and lower his annual cap hit.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I've got a headache following this thread. I'll be glad when 3/18 gets here so maybe things will get ironed out a bit.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I've got a headache following this thread. I'll be glad when 3/18 gets here so maybe things will get ironed out a bit.
Yeah, there's a lot of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin stuff going on till we iron out the 1st wave (2nd wave too?) of FA and then can at least have some more settled convos about the draft knowing what we need.

I have midol.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Pay Dotson and re-sign Shelton. >>>>> Draft defense early and often

Re-sign Shelton. >>>>> Draft J-P-J and let Shelton, Thomas and Noteboom fight over RG

My priority would be OFFENSIVE LINE. Above all else.

Interested to see what they do.
Yeah, there's a lot of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin stuff going on till we iron out the 1st wave (2nd wave too?) of FA and then can at least have some more settled convos about the draft knowing what we need.

I have midol.
I have xanex, edibles, oil, bud and scotch. I'm prepared for anything!!!!

WestCoastRam

Legend
Pay Dotson and re-sign Shelton. >>>>> Draft defense early and often

Re-sign Shelton. >>>>> Draft J-P-J and let Shelton, Thomas and Noteboom fight over RG

My priority would be OFFENSIVE LINE. Above all else.

Interested to see what they do.

I have xanex, edibles, oil, bud and scotch. I'm prepared for anything!!!!
You do not have ludes and I'm disappointed!

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I see a lot of JPJ talk in regards to a Shelton replacement if needed at OC. What about trading back in the 1sr and getting the Duke OC? Or into the 2nd (or moving up with our 2nd rounder) for the WV OC? There are other options to JPJ at OC - if we went that route. Just throwing crap out there since we still have weeks to go.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I see a lot of JPJ talk in regards to a Shelton replacement if needed at OC. What about trading back in the 1sr and getting the Duke OC? Or into the 2nd (or moving up with our 2nd rounder) for the WV OC? There are other options to JPJ at OC - if we went that route. Just throwing crap out there since we still have weeks to go.
You could wait until the 153 pick and maybe grab Nugent from Michigan but that might be a gamble.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

I have midol.
It’s Geritol I probably need.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
IMO -I saw a mock with that Center from Oregon.He would be a good player to play RG & then switch to Center after Shelton’s contract is up. Just another idea with the 19th pick.Value is there.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Like I quoted. Good idea still if Shelton resigns for jpj. I always go back to L.Dickerson from Bama.That 5th year is meaningful.
-He went in the 2nd rd,but he was a Guard/Center.Wondering what Philly does with him ?Kelce is an AllPro who he. Couldn’t beat out. His experience playing next to him is priceless .

WestCoastRam

Legend
Haven't had a 714 in 40 years! I don't expect I'll be needing one either.

ON another note. Comp picks should be out in a week, 10 days. Maybe we get lucky and get a 4th?
Hope so... word around the league is starting with this year, NIL is hollowing out rounds 5-7. Gonna prob need to change draft strategy going forward.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
It's possible, especially given the position he plays. However, Shelton will be 29 at the start of the season, and will be entering his seventh year in the NFL. So, 'ascending' might be a little overly optimistic.
Well, he has only been a starter though for about 2 yrs...so there is that. And in 22' he rarely lined up with the same two players on either side of him week in and week out.