Rams trying to get something done with Shelton

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
I see a lot of JPJ talk in regards to a Shelton replacement if needed at OC. What about trading back in the 1sr and getting the Duke OC? Or into the 2nd (or moving up with our 2nd rounder) for the WV OC? There are other options to JPJ at OC - if we went that route. Just throwing crap out there since we still have weeks to go.
My guess is the Rams want to retain as much of last years starting OL as possible. But I believe they now see the value in continually feeding the OL.
If they are able to retain Shelton and Dotson they can look at improving LT via the draft.
If they lose only Dotson they have to replace him in the draft (directly with an RG in draft or indirectly with a LT and move Ajax to RG).
If they lose Shelton they have to replace him in the draft (directly with an OC in draft or indirectly with a LT and move Ajax to LG/Avilla to OC).
My guess and wish is we see only one of the five different in 2025. But I also see am opportunity to improve at OC or LT.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
But I believe they now see the value in continually feeding the OL.
You mean like an epiphany?

They kept the OL together (4 of 5) in 2017-2018. Then 2019, once injuries occurred and they settled out, they kept 4 of 5 for 2019-2021. The last two years they used their first pick in the draft to grab OL. The last 6 years they've drafted 3 (2018), 2, 1, 0, 2 and 2. 10 lineman. 3 with their very first pick, once with their first two picks. Some have said "they haven't prioritized OL (by not drafting many)", which IMO is ridiculous. Just because they didn't work out didn't mean they didn't "prioritize OL". In the NFL it's impossible to hold onto all your players, whether they're OL, DL, WRs, CBs, etc.. I'd like to see all the examples of how many NFL teams kept the same 5 guys together on the O line for 3 years or more over the last 10 years. I'd bet there aren't many.

Last edited:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
10 mil 2024 salary / 20 mil cap hit
I don't know if it's possible but....
They could cut the 10 mil in half and extend him 1 year @ 5 mil and he still gets the same money he would get if he was cut this year and got 2.5 a year for 2 years from another team (would he get more?). The cap hit would go from 20 to 15 this year, stay at 10 next year and go to 5 mil in 2026 (dead money; void year). And if we cut him next year, we'd still save 5 mil.

Alaric will get tendered.
Would YOU agree to that if you were Noteboom?
—the same $$ over 3 years as you are already gonna get in 2?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Would YOU agree to that if you were Noteboom?
—the same $$ over 3 years as you are already gonna get in 2?

I said 'extend him 1 year'. He would get the same salary over 2 years and they could guarantee it. The third year would be a void year. And he'd get the 10 mil up front from the signing bonus. I'm no cap expert but they could easily maneuver the money to lessen the cap hit and give him incentive to extend. JMHO.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I haven't seen this much maths since Algebra 2 in high school.

All the more reason to just keep Noteboom for this season and revisit the question next year when the numbers are easier to crunch!

It could be the first time a player kept his job by “out mathing” the FO!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
All the more reason to just keep Noteboom for this season and revisit the question next year when the numbers are easier to crunch!
May make things easier on ROD members but I’m fairly certain the Rams understand the numbers.

One point on Noteboom’s contract. The Rams have paid him but have not yet Paid-the-(Salary cap)-Piper.

Joe Noteboom has received a lot of money the past two seasons from the Rams. However, the Rams have NOT taken a big cap hit for Noteboom in either of the past two years.

They did that for a reason ... short-term-cap-relief. Short-term is over.

The 2022 extension, and the restructure in 2023 were designed to give the Rams cap space those two years. Noteboom’s 2022 cap hit was only $3.5M. Last year, it was just $6.5M. That’s only $10M total. His contract has to hurt the Rams’ salary cap at some point in time.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
My guess is the Rams want to retain as much of last years starting OL as possible. But I believe they now see the value in continually feeding the OL.
If they are able to retain Shelton and Dotson they can look at improving LT via the draft.
If they lose only Dotson they have to replace him in the draft (directly with an RG in draft or indirectly with a LT and move Ajax to RG).
If they lose Shelton they have to replace him in the draft (directly with an OC in draft or indirectly with a LT and move Ajax to LG/Avilla to OC).
My guess and wish is we see only one of the five different in 2025. But I also see am opportunity to improve at OC or LT.
There is also a lot of talent in FA this year for the OL, particularly on the interior. If we lose Dotson, there are several high quality OG's we could try and sign (for less actually). Same could be said for Shelton. I'd personally love a signing of Connor Williams at center.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
i never expected them to pull all the levers. But I did expect them to pull some.
As an article today points out.. they can get to about $80 easily and, if I was them, that’s what I would do.
Just trying to read the various tea leaves.
I read this earlier today, and thought of you (Get Out of My Head!!!)

It's from a USA today article by Cameron DaSilva, and was posted on MSN.com. Here's an excerpt.

"On ESPN LA, Kevin Demoff shared the funny story of his meeting with McVay, Les Snead and Tony Pastoors after the season ended, recalling McVay’s reaction to learning how much cap space Los Angeles has.

“It’s funny, I remember we sat with Sean and Les the first day of the offseason and Sean asked Tony, he goes, ‘How much money do I have?’ ...

We have like $45 million, maybe low $50s depending on where the cap finishes. And he’s like, ‘Oh my god, that’s great! How much did I have last year?’ And we’re like, ‘Negative two.’ He’s feeling great.

By the end he goes, ‘How do we get to like $50, $60, $70 million?’ We’re like, ‘You don’t.’"

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

It's from a USA today article by Cameron DaSilva, and was posted on MSN.com. Here's an excerpt.

"On ESPN LA, Kevin Demoff shared the funny story of his meeting with McVay, Les Snead and Tony Pastoors after the season ended, recalling McVay’s reaction to learning how much cap space Los Angeles has.

“It’s funny, I remember we sat with Sean and Les the first day of the offseason and Sean asked Tony, he goes, ‘How much money do I have?’ ...

We have like $45 million, maybe low $50s depending on where the cap finishes. And he’s like, ‘Oh my god, that’s great! How much did I have last year?’ And we’re like, ‘Negative two.’ He’s feeling great.

By the end he goes, ‘How do we get to like $50, $60, $70 million?’ We’re like, ‘You don’t.’"
Damn, you!!! Killing my dreams!!!!

Welp.. so much for that. I really don't see them keeping Dotson without raising their space.. between him and Alaric Jackson and Shelton.. they'd be looking at $25 million.

The Noteboom post-June 1 move is the only one I see them making.. but even that seems to be in doubt. Maybe they're keeping him, signing Dotson and drafting a tackle in the first.

Who knows? Lots to get through in the next couple months.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I said 'extend him 1 year'. He would get the same salary over 2 years and they could guarantee it. The third year would be a void year. And he'd get the 10 mil up front from the signing bonus. I'm no cap expert but they could easily maneuver the money to lessen the cap hit and give him incentive to extend. JMHO.
He is due to get 15 mill in '24, so are you paying him that & giving him a 1 year extension at 10 mill? Essentially a 2 year 25 mill deal with 15 mill guaranteed?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It could be the first time a player kept his job by “out mathing” the FO!
Funny but to me, all the numbers point to NOT keeping him.
Historic cap increase in '24, what better time to clean out the closet?

WestCoastRam

Legend
Pretty interesting that a good oline last year could get gutted by losing it's top guard, center, and top swing olineman.

Lot of work to do here.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I got spoiled by the quick news on Robinson. Now I want to know about Shelton! ;)

Just hitting refresh on the site over and over ...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I got spoiled by the quick news on Robinson. Now I want to know about Shelton! ;)

Just hitting refresh on the site over and over ...
That would be a fun poll,
Who do we finalize first, Shelton or Noteboom?

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
Hope so... word around the league is starting with this year, NIL is hollowing out rounds 5-7. Gonna prob need to change draft strategy going forward.
I think the NIL has more impact on the UDFA pool than anything. Some players may stay in college but with the draft limited to 7 rounds there’s still plenty of talent out there for rounds 5-7. You might hit big like PUKA here and there but those rounds are mostly projected for depth and special teams. It all comes down to player development.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

So much for mega restructures

Lolol

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am all the sad
It's just not smart business to push all that money forward and it seems the Rams are tired of not being able to use the cap on the active roster. Yes some restructures will happen and are needed. But it's not a healthy business model.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
It's just not smart business to push all that money forward and it seems the Rams are tired of not being able to use the cap on the active roster. Yes some restructures will happen and are needed. But it's not a healthy business model.
I don't think going all-in would be smart.
But, I would absolutely convert Stafford and cut Noteboom with a post-June first designation. I think those moves would do minimal damage to the cap in the future, especially with expected growth.
I prefer using devices like that to acquiring talent versus trading draft capital for players they'll have to pay a premium.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Damn, you!!! Killing my dreams!!!!
1709149114288.png

Seriously though, I'm not trying to ruin any off-season enthusiasm. I'm optimistic.

Expect Alaric Jackson back on a 1st or 2nd round tender offer; and would not rule-out an extension.

Hopeful that Shelton is retained. Fingers crossed on Dotson but I do think there's a number that's too high.

As far as the cap hit for a larger Dotson contract, consider the deal Elgton Jenkins signed this time last year to stay in Green Bay. Jenkins was the same age as Dotson, and a 2X Pro Bowl Right Guard. He signed for 4 years / $68M ... that's an average of $17M-per-year. Jenkins' cap hit last year was only $7M.

The Rams can afford that ... assuming they regard Dotson as that good of a player.