Rams trying to get something done with Shelton

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
If you watched the breakdown vid of Dotson you can see why the Rams want Coleman back. I think the Rams and players are waiting for the start of the new season before finalizing deals. I think Dotson, Shelton, and Witherspoon are waiting to see what kind of offers they will get if any from other teams. That will set their market value.

Robinson signed early but only a one year deal. If he builds on last year his value will be high in 2025. But I think he and the Rams expect them to draft at least one WR to fill that role long term. I would expect that guy to be taken in the 5th round and be at least 6' tall and run a 4.4-4.5. His hands, blocking and route running will trump top end speed. This offense is about chunk yardage 10-20 yds per reception. It allows the QB to not have to hold the ball, and attacks the intermediate zone. That's where having a strong inside run game is complimentary football. It forces the LBs to hesitate and not simply drop into the intermediate zone.

I really love this re-design of McVay's offense. It allows them to make good use of offensive players they can get in the mid rounds ( late 3rd, 4 and 5). It allows the defense to rest as it also is designed to eat the clock while moving down field. This is why Sean having a game manager beside him is a very smart move.

I think Trammell takes Skowronek's snaps as a short zone outlet receiver, If the NFL adopts the changes in KOs they have been discussing we might see two returners back there which probably means Trammell and Smith (which might be why he was resigned).

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
View attachment 64628

Seriously though, I'm not trying to ruin any off-season enthusiasm. I'm optimistic.

Expect Alaric Jackson back on a 1st or 2nd round tender offer; and would not rule-out an extension.

Hopeful that Shelton is retained. Fingers crossed on Dotson but I do think there's a number that's too high.

As far as the cap hit for a larger Dotson contract, consider the deal Elgton Jenkins signed this time last year to stay in Green Bay. Jenkins was the same age as Dotson, and a 2X Pro Bowl Right Guard. He signed for 4 years / $68M ... that's an average of $17M-per-year. Jenkins' cap hit last year was only $7M.

The Rams can afford that ... assuming they regard Dotson as that good of a player.
Yeah.. you have a great point on structure. That’ll play a role, for sure.
Just hoping they can bring in some vet takent on D.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

I think Trammell takes Skowronek's snaps as a short zone outlet receiver, If the NFL adopts the changes in KOs they have been discussing we might see two returners back there which probably means Trammell and Smith (which might be why he was resigned).

Maybe. I actually like Trammell as a receiver.

However, the Rams entered the off-season with 2 Exclusive Rights Free Agents ... Ronnie Rivers and Trammell.

Rivers was re-signed last week but no word on Trammell. There is still time to retain him.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
He is due to get 15 mill in '24, so are you paying him that & giving him a 1 year extension at 10 mill? Essentially a 2 year 25 mill deal with 15 mill guaranteed?
Obviously, I'm not a capologist. But you hear all the time "they converted his salary to signing bonus". So convert that 10 mil to SB and extend him 1 year....2024, 2025, 2026 (void), 2027 (void). Pay him 2.5 mil in 2024 base, 4 mil in 2025 base. Guarantee the 2.5 mil and he gets 12.5 mil in cash this year + the roster bonus (17.5). The cap hit is 2.5 mil + 7.5 mil (the 5 mil already on the books and 1/4 of the 10 mil turned into SB) plus the roster bonus = 15 mil. We save 5 mil. Next year's cap hit is 4 mil + 7.5 mil (11.5). Definitely worth a versatile backup. Cut him after 2025 and it's 15 mil in dead money. Same as it would be this year if they cut him. He gets new cash. We get cap relief.

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think the NIL has more impact on the UDFA pool than anything. Some players may stay in college but with the draft limited to 7 rounds there’s still plenty of talent out there for rounds 5-7. You might hit big like PUKA here and there but those rounds are mostly projected for depth and special teams. It all comes down to player development.
I think yours is an optimistic view. But the discussion going on is about rounds 5-7 in particular from NFL reporters.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's just not smart business to push all that money forward and it seems the Rams are tired of not being able to use the cap on the active roster. Yes some restructures will happen and are needed. But it's not a healthy business model.
Aaron Donald has a whopper of a dead cap hit coming in '25, currently at 16 mill, but he also has a 20 mill option bonus about to vest that will hit the '24 cap for another 6.6 mill and increase the '25 dead cap to close to 30 mill.
(Of course this is if he indeed retires)
I think saving a restructure of Stafford's deal is forward thinking that they can use in year when they will need the relief, not in a year with such a surplus.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Obviously, I'm not a capologist. But you hear all the time "they converted his salary to signing bonus". So convert that 10 mil to SB and extend him 1 year....2024, 2025, 2026 (void), 2027 (void). Pay him 2.5 mil in 2024 base, 4 mil in 2025 base. Guarantee the 2.5 mil and he gets 12.5 mil in cash this year + the roster bonus (17.5). The cap hit is 2.5 mil + 7.5 mil (the 5 mil already on the books and 1/4 of the 10 mil turned into SB) plus the roster bonus = 15 mil. We save 5 mil. Next year's cap hit is 4 mil + 7.5 mil (11.5). Definitely worth a versatile backup. Cut him after 2025 and it's 15 mil in dead money. Same as it would be this year if they cut him. He gets new cash. We get cap relief.
He already has 2 void years in '25 & '26 with 10 million of dead money (5 mill per) currently due to hit the '25 cap

WestCoastRam

Legend
If you watched the breakdown vid of Dotson you can see why the Rams want Coleman back. I think the Rams and players are waiting for the start of the new season before finalizing deals. I think Dotson, Shelton, and Witherspoon are waiting to see what kind of offers they will get if any from other teams. That will set their market value.

Robinson signed early but only a one year deal. If he builds on last year his value will be high in 2025. But I think he and the Rams expect them to draft at least one WR to fill that role long term. I would expect that guy to be taken in the 5th round and be at least 6' tall and run a 4.4-4.5. His hands, blocking and route running will trump top end speed. This offense is about chunk yardage 10-20 yds per reception. It allows the QB to not have to hold the ball, and attacks the intermediate zone. That's where having a strong inside run game is complimentary football. It forces the LBs to hesitate and not simply drop into the intermediate zone.

I really love this re-design of McVay's offense. It allows them to make good use of offensive players they can get in the mid rounds ( late 3rd, 4 and 5). It allows the defense to rest as it also is designed to eat the clock while moving down field. This is why Sean having a game manager beside him is a very smart move.

I think it bears repeating for any new posters here who haven't watched much Rams football or are still learning (hey, aren't we all?!?) that McVay's offense has always been predicated on attacking the intermediate zone's going back to his days at Washington. It's literally been the thing the entire offense has revolved around other than outside zone which he's now started to move away from.

There has never been a change at attacking intermediate zone. At all.

It's all there on tape, pull up any game since 2014. Two-Thousand-Fourteen!

The above poster a few weeks ago began telling the story that attacking intermediate zones is a new thing for McVay (or if I'm being generous, maybe he's just saying it's a new emphasis).

I do not want to always be critical so I will say that I enjoyed the Dotson video he shared and appreciate that the above poster tends to get the players name's right. For that, we can be thankful.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think going all-in would be smart.
But, I would absolutely convert Stafford and cut Noteboom with a post-June first designation. I think those moves would do minimal damage to the cap in the future, especially with expected growth.
I prefer using devices like that to acquiring talent versus trading draft capital for players they'll have to pay a premium.
Some of the numbers you were talking about restructuring to get more cap though would hurt future years especially if it's using void years to accomplish. It will be nice when we're able to use the actual cap for the current years team not pay off bad free agent signings or traded players that just didn't work out.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
He already has 2 void years in '25 & '26 with 10 million of dead money (5 mill per) currently due to hit the '25 cap
I read today they're trying to work out a deal with him to lower the hit. I guess we'll have to wait and see what they do.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Some of the numbers you were talking about restructuring to get more cap though would hurt future years especially if it's using void years to accomplish. It will be nice when we're able to use the actual cap for the current years team not pay off bad free agent signings or traded players that just didn't work out.
I do understand what it does and appreciate your perspective on how to manage the cap.
I’m, probably, too focused on maximizing the window they have with Stafford. That’s why I’d go for an aggressive offseason.
Maybe they believe they can reach the highest levels without doing that.. and maintain a very high level, rather than ride a salary cap roller coaster.
If that’s their plan.. they’re going to need some luck finding their next QB, imo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do understand what it does and appreciate your perspective on how to manage the cap.
I’m, probably, too focused on maximizing the window they have with Stafford. That’s why I’d go for an aggressive offseason.
Maybe they believe they can reach the highest levels without doing that.. and maintain a very high level, rather than ride a salary cap roller coaster.
If that’s their plan.. they’re going to need some luck finding their next QB, imo.
With a great draft last year if they repeat that with this draft and finally a 1st rounder add in a couple quality free agents I think they maximize it. And again a 1st rounder next year. Don't need to create a shit ton of cap space to support #9

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
With a great draft last year if they repeat that with this draft and finally a 1st rounder add in a couple quality free agents I think they maximize it. And again a 1st rounder next year. Don't need to create a shit ton of cap space to support #9
They need to him home runs in the draft again. That’s hard.
But it ain’t impossible!!
Hoping they get some value FAs who can really contribute. Without a significantly improved pass rush AND significantly better corner play, I don’t see them surpassing this past season.

Who knows.. maybe they draft 2 corners who are ballers like they did with Jenkins & Johnson.

WestCoastRam

Legend
They need to him home runs in the draft again. That’s hard.
But it ain’t impossible!!
Hoping they get some value FAs who can really contribute. Without a significantly improved pass rush AND significantly better corner play, I don’t see them surpassing this past season.

Who knows.. maybe they draft 2 corners who are ballers like they did with Jenkins & Johnson.
They had the 2nd best draft class after only the Texans last year. Will be nigh impossible to repeat that but a B draft and a solid FA class could really send them far in the playoffs.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I don't know if this was already brought up, but today I read that the Rams expect Shelton to test free agency now. I guess that they didn't reach an agreement.
Yeah, we've been talking about it. Not the end of the world. I think there's still a chance the Rams can sign Shelton. I don't think anyone's gonna come in and blow him out of the water with a deal. Why should the Rams negotiate right now against themselves. They have an idea of what the market will be for him. Let it set. And if it's not crazy I think they'll match.

Dotson's a goner though.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So much of this talk about the Rams not spending money. Has there been a season when they do not use the majority of the cap space?

Are they going to spend $50+ million on street free agents in August?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah, we've been talking about it. Not the end of the world. I think there's still a chance the Rams can sign Shelton. I don't think anyone's gonna come in and blow him out of the water with a deal. Why should the Rams negotiate right now against themselves. They have an idea of what the market will be for him. Let it set. And if it's not crazy I think they'll match.

Dotson's a goner though.
I wouldn't be so certain. They've got the money and motivation. They've wanted Dotson for a long time. Do they just give up the fight? Plus Dotson was very happy with his situation with the Rams and the way they coach. I'd say that nobody here has any idea if he's gone or not.