Rams to promote Cignetti to Offensive Coordinator

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey

You may be right, but I hope you are wrong. I pray you are wrong.

I can't help but think that Tavon and Brian Quick would be a superstars with the Patriots. Look what they did with Ex-Ram Amendola and Edelman. Two undrafted free agent's!

We got first rounders like (Austin and Britt), second round Quick, and third round receivers out the kazoo, and we can't get out of the NFC West basement, much less win a Super Bowl....Although I must point out...We don't cheat.

RamBill

Legend
Cignetti is Rams OC pick
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_d741b709-35cc-5470-9f1c-0367538e44e2.html

For three years as Rams quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti has operated quietly behind the scenes, working with no less than four starting QBs over the past two seasons. Cignetti’s days of relative anonymity are over.

Coach Jeff Fisher has decided to hire Cignetti as his new offensive coordinator, according to team sources. The formal announcement is expected next week. Cignetti, 49, replaces Brian Schottenheimer, who took the same position with the University of Georgia shortly after the conclusion of the 2014 season.

Just a week ago, it looked like Fisher was leaning toward tight ends coach Rob Boras as his next offensive coordinator, but with Cignetti sharing some of the OC responsibility possibly as passing game coordinator. Instead Boras will be promoted to assistant head coach/offense.

It has been clear for the past couple of weeks that Fisher was going in-house for his new coordinator. It was just a matter of whether it would be Boras or Cignetti in that role. Fisher, obviously, thinks highly of both.

Cignetti was part of Fisher’s original staff in 2012, so he knows the offense and the playbook very well. So this figures to be a smooth transition and a continuation of the overall offensive philosophy espoused by Fisher. Namely, a strong running game with play-action passing.

It’s unclear if Cignetti will continue to serve as quarterbacks coach, but there have been plenty of offensive coordinators in the NFL who have doubled as QB coaches. It’s also unclear whether Boras will continue working with the tight ends.

Cignetti, 49, is a Pittsburgh native who has had extensive coordinator’s experience on the college level, starting at Div. II Indiana (Pa.) in 1997-98, but then at the Div. I level at Fresno State (2002-05), North Carolina (2006), California-Berkeley (2008), and Pittsburgh (2009-11).

He doubled up as coordinator/QBs coach at Indiana (Pa.), Cal, and Pitt.

In the end, that coordinator experience may have given Cignetti the edge over Boras.

Boras, 44, has spent 11 seasons in the NFL coaching tight ends with the Rams, Jacksonville and Chicago. Among his college-coaching stops was a five-year stint at Nevada-Las Vegas from 1999-2003. He was the offensive line coach there for all five seasons, but doubled up as offensive coordinator his last three seasons there.

Cignetti may not be a household name, but besides his college work, he has also been an NFL assistant in Kansas City, New Orleans and San Francisco. He grew up in a coaching household. His father, Frank Cignetti Sr., once was head coach at West Virginia and was a long-time coach at small-college Indiana (Pa.)

At Fresno State, the younger Cignetti coordinated offenses that finished fifth nationally in total offense in 2004 and seventh in 2005. The ‘04 team became only the sixth team in NCAA history to score 50-plus points in four consecutive games. In ‘09 at Pittsburgh, the Panthers averaged 32.1 points per game.

In another development, Rams assistant defensive line coach Clyde Simmons is interviewing for the head D-line coaching job with the Oakland Raiders.

wmc540

Pro Bowler

I'm willing to bet a lot of money on Pettis not having a single catch for the Rams next year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
My dream of Chudzinski calling plays for the Rams died a few weeks ago so I am ambivalent at this point when it comes to he hire.

One thing that I find interesting is the promotion of Boras to Assistan head coach/offense. Why? Is Fisher afraid to lose him? With that title other teams would have to ask permission to hire him as an OC. Is Fisher hedging his bets because he is not confident in either guy?

Or, was this Fishers way of appeasing Boras so he doesn't feel left out and decides it is time to move on.

I was hoping for Boras just because of his attention to detail and he is a bit of a wild card. The reality is Fisher won't allow any first time OC to get too creative too quickly, anyhow. With Chuds experience he could have confidently handed him the reigns.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Yeah that's my thinking too, but then I wonder if what took so long was internal discussions involving Fisher, Cignetti and Boras to try to figure out how it would work promoting one without offending the other? So came up with the running game role for Boras solution? Dunno just guessing.

You could be right, or they were looking at replacements for their positions?? Don't know, but we have our guy now

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Never saw anything to that other than those who disliked him coming to hold the opinion so strongly that it became common sense to them, and thus they projected that Fisher and the Rams would of course share the same opinion.

The forced out thing never really worked for me because I seem to remember the Schotty to Georgia gig seemed to be swirling around several weeks before it actually happened..Don't think a forced departure would have been drawn out like that...

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
You may be right, but I hope you are wrong. I pray you are wrong.

I can't help but think that Tavon and Brian Quick would be a superstars with the Patriots. Look what they did with Ex-Ram Amendola and Edelman. Two undrafted free agent's!

We got first rounders like (Austin and Britt), second round Quick, and third round receivers out the kazoo, and we can't get out of the NFC West basement, much less win a Super Bowl....Although I must point out...We don't cheat.

We also don't have Tom Brady....

WestCoastRam

Legend
Maybe this is wishful thinking but perhaps some of the run formations that we used so well in 2013 but disappeared in 2014 were Boras's doing...

... what happened to the unbalanced line looks, the three TE looks, the run heavy looks with one WR on 1st down? I wouldn't mind seeing more of that as a switch up again.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Am I the only one a tad worried that continuity coming from an offense that hasn't been good in years might not be a good thing? Nothing against Mr C, I don't know much about him, but I am a touch skeptical I guess.
As am I, just gotta hope we are wrong I guess.

lockdnram21

Legend
i might be in minority but i think Givens would have better year then TA if Bradford is Healthy

lockdnram21

Legend
Maybe this is wishful thinking but perhaps some of the run formations that we used so well in 2013 but disappeared in 2014 were Boras's doing...

... what happened to the unbalanced line looks, the three TE looks, the run heavy looks with one WR on 1st down? I wouldn't mind seeing more of that as a switch up again.
I would i want to see more 3-4 wr sets and less te.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, it's official now and I am ambivalent as well. Just doesn't do much for me but I'll certainly give him a chance to succeed.

And no mention of who Cignetti's replacement will be, so I'm not sure what to make of the theory that the delay was due to making the announcment of all the moves, all at once.

Jim Thomas has been reporting for some time now that the OC would be an in-house promotion. He just wasn't sure if it was going to be Boras or Cignetti.

Thomas believed it would be in-house because that's what Jeff Fisher wants. Fisher believes in his offensive strategy (strong running game and play action) and either Cignetti or Boras would be sure to try to execute it to the best of their abilities.

So, I'm not expecting very much change to our offense this year. Ultimately, this if Fisher's team and he's going to succeed or fail doing it his way.

Not a bad thing.... but lots on the line.

Here's to hoping his strategy is the right one for the Rams! :cheers:

ausmurp

Starter
I think this is a perfect example of why Fisher will not be the headcoach next yr. Hiring a guy who fits 'his system' is a mistake as his current system doesn't work. Fisher should stick to D and hire someone who can run an O that actually works on the NFL level.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Those Fresno State offenses were amazing.

Martz for QB Coach :)

Let's hope Fish gives him the freedom

Cig's offense will roll over other teams this season.

Fisher smokes Cig's.

Incredible avatar, @tahoe ... did you create that yourself?
Actually I stole it from another poster here, I just liked it so much I had to use it.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
In itself, this move doesn't bother me.

What bothers me is that with how long this whole thing has taken, I have a hard time believing that Cignetti was anything close to Plan A. And last time we had to shuffle down the list of plans and take what was left, we got Linehan.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing that I find interesting is the promotion of Boras to Assistan head coach/offense. Why? Is Fisher afraid to lose him? With that title other teams would have to ask permission to hire him as an OC. Is Fisher hedging his bets because he is not confident in either guy?
Unless he's HC other teams can ask to interview him, his title is irrelevant. And who other than the Rams have open positions at this point in the year?
Seems to me they hired both to be OC, one gets the fancy title, the other probably a bump in pay.
The OC is Fisher, and the offense is going to be what he wants.
I guess that's the way it ought to be in a make or break year.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'm happy we didn't bring in an overrated retread who has already bounced all over the league.