Rams to promote Cignetti to Offensive Coordinator

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
According to PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...oach-frank-cignetti-to-offensive-coordinator/

Frank Cignetti is in line for a promotion in St. Louis.

Cignetti, currently the Rams’ quarterbacks coach, is expected to be promoted to offensive coordinator, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network. The announcement is expected next week.

After offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer left the Rams to work at the University of Georgia, Cignetti was one of two internal candidates who could take Schottenheimer’s place. The other candidate was tight ends coach Rob Boras, but it appears that Jeff Fisher has decided to go with Cignetti.

Cignetti was hired when Fisher first took the Rams’ head-coaching job and has been the quarterbacks coach the last three seasons. He’s never been an offensive coordinator in the NFL before, but he’s been the offensive coordinator for six different college teams: Rutgers, Pittsburgh, Cal, North Carolina, Fresno State and Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Meh. I'm going to reserve my judgement about him until we start playing games. Not much of a resume at the NFL level, but was accomplished in the college ranks.

Positives are that the offense will likely have many familiar elements for returning players. Also his promotion likely signals the return of Sam in 2015. His familiarity with Sam may help cater the offense to Sam's strengths (rolling Sam out, running hurry up, etc.)

tbux

Rookie
Anyone know how his offenses have done in college before he took over and what he ranked during his tenures? IE did he improve the offenses he took over or not. Curious- don't know much about Cignetti otherwise.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I know very little about either of these guys but purely based on experience (albeit in college) Cignetti was my preference over Boras.

Plus there's nothing wrong with promoting from within. The Cards just did it with their new DC and Belichick has been doing it for years with his coaches. A sign of a well run franchise in my view.

jap

Legend
Cig KNOWS Sam and KNOWS what Fish wants out of the running game. It would be nice to see him take full advantage of all of Sam's strengths while doing his best to hide his weaknesses. We need an OL, maybe another TE or WR, and a solid backup QB with an arm and some accuracy.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I'm ok with this. It's a continuation of what we were doing previously rather than a full overhaul. That said, I didn't have as many problems with the BSchotty as most Rams fans did, and saw most of our offensive failings last year related to OL performance and the loss of Bradford (where neither Hill nor Davis were as good as Clemens was in 2013). Imho, the continuity will be a good thing, no slow starts on offense.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Definately like the practice,the chance for continuity lets players concentrate on execution

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Even if Cignetti is a meh OC, its not like this offense can do much worse than 2014. Player progression, upgrades on the OL, and more consistent QB play should alone make us a better offense

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Anyone know how his offenses have done in college before he took over and what he ranked during his tenures? IE did he improve the offenses he took over or not. Curious- don't know much about Cignetti otherwise.

"Cignetti was most successful serving as the offensive coordinator at Fresno State for four years from 2002 until 2006. In 2004, Fresno State's offense ranked fifth nationally and seventh in 2005. In 2004 Fresno State became the sixth team in NCAA history to score over 50 points in four consecutive games. The 2004 team also led theWestern Athletic Conference in average yards per carry and amassed 65 touchdowns."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Cignetti,_Jr.

Have to dig a little deeper for his other tenures.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Here's my question: If reports were accurate, that last year if Schotty had left, that Boras would have gotten the job... why Cignetti now?

I'll be honest, I had convinced myself that Boras was a sexy up-and-comer (with probably little evidence for that fact). I don't think anyone can label Cignetti that way. Feeling totally non-plussed. Go Rams!

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I really don't have a problem with this. As Thordaddy said about continuity. It wasn't like Snisher was going to hire martz. That said, I'm pondering why wait until next week to announce it?

Athos

Legend

That's what I was going to ask. I'm not terribly excited by this move...at all. So disappointing not to get someone.

"Cignetti was most successful serving as the offensive coordinator at Fresno State for four years from 2002 until 2006. In 2004, Fresno State's offense ranked fifth nationally and seventh in 2005. In 2004 Fresno State became the sixth team in NCAA history to score over 50 points in four consecutive games. The 2004 team also led theWestern Athletic Conference in average yards per carry and amassed 65 touchdowns."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Cignetti,_Jr.

Have to dig a little deeper for his other tenures.

I'm more interested in the style of O he employs, rather than success.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2012/2/7/2782957/st-louis-rams-quarterbacks-coach-frank-cignetti
http://www.gobulldogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/cignetti_frank00.html

Didn't realize he had beat out Van Pelt for the QB job. Also, the above says he "believes in applying the base principles of the West Coast system with an attention to detail and proper preparation." Whatever that means.

Maybe now we can get one of the PD writers to interview him and get an idea of how he plans to move forward with the offense.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I hope he doesn't have Schotty's habits of going into fetal position after a comfortable lead. Now the question is who do we hire as QB coach

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Here's my question: If reports were accurate, that last year if Schotty had left, that Boras would have gotten the job... why Cignetti now?

I'll be honest, I had convinced myself that Boras was a sexy up-and-comer (with probably little evidence for that fact). I don't think anyone can label Cignetti that way. Feeling totally non-plussed. Go Rams!

My thouhgts too - I was hopinfg or Boras, but my opinion on the difference between Cig and Rob was not evidence based, just on hearsay. Hopefully Cig can be the sexy up and comer now, and he's still young enough (think he's late 40's, not that old by NFL coaching standards).

Anyway, let's go Cig!

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I'm more interested in the style of O he employs, rather than success.

I'm digging. So far:

How would you describe your offensive philosophy?

FC: To me, number one, you've got to protect the football. You've got to win the turnover battle. Second of all, when you talk about the three phases of offense -- which is the running game, the protection phase and the passing game -- it all starts up front with running the ball. You have to be able to run the ball effectively and efficiently, and you have to be able to protect the quarterback and you have to be able to complete the ball. And another part of that philosophy is to be a physical, tough football team. Then you've got to find out who the playmakers are and make sure they get their touches and their at-bats.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/pos...-pitt-offensive-coordinator-frank-cignetti-jr

-------------------------------------------------------------------

But Cignetti’s arrival also represents a shift in philosophy, with Schiano saying at his postseason news conference in early December that he intends to return to the run-oriented, pro-style approach that produced school-record offensive numbers from 2005-08.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2011/01/rutgers_football_program_hires.html

Wannstedt said he was ecstatic to hire a coach of Cignetti's background.

"I'm excited about this because obviously he is someone who has experience calling plays and coordinating an offense," Wannstedt said. "But also he has expertise in developing and coaching young quarterbacks. And the other thing is we are still going to have the same offensive philosophy from the standpoint of being balanced and running the ball and using the play-action passing game."

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...-lands-dream-job-at-Pitt/stories/200902190483

Nothing so far on a specific system. But it looks like he fits Fisher's style to a T.

Last edited: