Rams to promote Cignetti to Offensive Coordinator

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams to go with Cignetti as offensive coordinator
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_38ec8dd8-8fb6-5194-b13c-1d91392769df.html

The long wait for the Rams' new offensive coordinator is over. In a close call between tight ends coach Rob Boras and quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti, coach Jeff Fisher has decided upon Cignetti as his new OC, while Boras will be promoted to assistant head coach/offense.

Just last week, Fisher seemed to be leaning towards naming Boras as his coordinator, but having it be a shared responsibility by naming Cignetti his passing game coordinator. But the end result turned out differently with Cignetti getting the job to replace Brian Schottenheimer and Boras getting a promotion.

It's unclear if Cignetti will continue to serve as quarterbacks coach, but there have been plenty of offensive coordinators in the past in the NFL who have doubled as QB coaches. It's also unclear whether Boras will continue working with the tight ends.

Fisher has long had high regard for both Cignetti and Boras, making this decision a tough one once Fisher decided to stay in-house. The formal announcement on Cignetti and Boras is expected to take place early next week.

Cignetti, 49, is a Pittsburgh native who has had extensive coordinator's experience on the college level, starting at Div. II Indiana (Pa.) in 1997-98, but then at Div. I level at Fresno State (2002-05), North Carolina (2006), California-Berkeley in 2008, and University of Pittsburgh (2009-11).

He doubled up as coordinator/QBs coach at Indiana (Pa.), Cal, and Pitt.

In another development, Rams assistant defensive line coach Clyde Simmons is entering for the head defensive line coach job with the Oakland Raiders.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Every one is talking about hope he use Tavon Austin. Me personally i think its more TA not being who they thought he was compared to blaming schotty. I still think the main receivers will be Quick, Britt, and Stedman. TA is going to end up being more of a rb then wr

You could be very correct man.. I guess with a new OC time will tell now eh? :cool:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Every one is talking about hope he use Tavon Austin. Me personally i think its more TA not being who they thought he was compared to blaming schotty. I still think the main receivers will be Quick, Britt, and Stedman. TA is going to end up being more of a rb then wr
I actually agree with you, but i'll decide after his 3rd season.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I have no sides cus idk much about either besides resumes. but sounds like Boras has the play calling experience and Cignetti is the QB coaching side and hopefully knows the ins and outs of Bradfords strengths and weaknesses. so fuck it... I still got a bad feeling (understandable after nearly a decade of awful OC play) but gotta wish for the best that cignetti is close with Sam and knows how to maximize his potential. and his pro style run heavy approach philosophy I here he has would be a nice change to ACTUALLY use Fishers philosophy for once. pray for the best cus it's been musical chairs of crappy coaching besides Fisher and Williams

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Now that Schotty gone and we have a new OC, am I allowed to make puns with his name? :whistle:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like the continuity of this choice.

Starting over on Offense was a bit scary for me, unless we nailed an experienced OC. Once the big names fell off, this is probably a smart move to HELP US GET OFF TO A FAST START FOR A CHANGE!!

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I've never held the opinion that he was forced out.
Never saw anything to that other than those who disliked him coming to hold the opinion so strongly that it became common sense to them, and thus they projected that Fisher and the Rams would of course share the same opinion.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
For those wondering about experience, Martz had never been a coordinator before, this guy has. Obviously, Martz had Faulk and Ike. Holt was rookie in 1999, Martz help develop Bruce as WR coach in 1994-95 . . . Warner came from nowhere, but Martz deserves some credit for developing him. Not saying this guy can do what Martz did, but Martz was relative unknown, not a "hot commodity" for his work with Skins.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Took a look last week at youtube footage of Fresno State Bulldogs in 2004 and 2005, check out the Fresno State vs USC 2005 and Fresno State vs Kansas State and Fresno State vs Washington in 2004

nice bubble screen on very 1st play shown against USC

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well he was at Pitt for Tom Savage. Maybe that's the reason we heard that the Rams liked him in the draft.
Nope.
Cignetti was at Pitt when Savage was at Rutgers.
And when Cignetti went to Rutgers, Savage had already transferred out

Rainram

Starter
I kinda woulda preferred Boras, but the powers that be certainly have more insight than me. The Ram Fan in me will be hopeful and optimistic. I find it interesting that they still promoted Boras. Based on all that's being reported it sounds like they will function together...dual Offensive Coordinators...with Cignetti calling plays.

If it works out, it could be a beautiful thing. I imagine it would provide some continuity down the road too, if, for example, one of them left.

If it bombs, you have a built in replacement.

Should be interesting. Chud would have been more interesting, but that wasn't even an option. I'll take this as a suitable Plan B.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' Frank Cignetti to be OC
By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...nator?ex_cid=espnapi_public/print?id=12286051

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams are staying in-house for their next offensive coordinator.

Although an official announcement is not expected until next week, the team confirmed Thursday night that coach Jeff Fisher is promoting quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti to offensive coordinator.

Fisher had been thought to be deciding between Cignetti and tight ends coach Rob Boras, but ultimately decided to give Cignetti the coordinator title. Boras will also get a promotion to a job that is expected to include the title of assistant head coach/offense.

The move gives Cignetti his first opportunity as a coordinator in the NFL. He previously held that job at five major college stops: Fresno State (2002-05), North Carolina (2006), California in 2008, Pittsburgh (2009-10) and Rutgers (2011).

Boras doesn't have the same extensive resume guiding offenses, which could have ultimately tipped the scales to Cignetti. Boras was a coordinator for just three years at UNLV from 2001 to '03. He's coached tight ends in the NFL for 11 seasons, with stops in Jacksonville and Chicago, before coming to St. Louis.

The Rams are the last team to fill their offensive coordinator vacancy after Brian Schottenheimer departed for the same job at the University of Georgia on Jan. 7.

Fisher showed interest in the likes of Adam Gase, Kyle Shanahan, Greg Roman, and Nathaniel Hackett, but they took coordinator jobs in Chicago, Atlanta, and Buffalo, respectively, and Hackett went to Jacksonville as quarterbacks coach. Of that group, only Hackett is known to have had a formal interview with the Rams.

The team also sought interviews with Indianapolis special assistant Rob Chudzinski and Green Bay quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt but was denied permission on both. Chudzinski eventually re-signed for a bigger role with the Colts.

It's not yet clear whether Cignetti will continue to lead the quarterbacks or whether Boras will maintain his tight end responsibilities.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
this hiring feels as though I've been in a hospital bed for ages waiting for the doctor to finally tell me the name of my disease

all jokes aside, I'm happy for Coach Cignetti and believe he's gonna get the most out of Bradford!!!!
You are a football poet Dieter the Brock...

Like many good people on ROD, I can see the writing on the wall. It seems the RAM's ownership is going thru through the motions, as Kroenke makes a half hearted effort to stay in Saint Louis...

I'm sure Kroenke wants to triple the value of the Rams in Los Angeles...I can't blame him...Overnight the Rams will go from 30th most valuable to top five....

I can guarantee you one goddamn thing my Ram Friends...Once we relocate to L.A. we will attract head coaches, roaches, ESPN, Papa John's, and offensive coordinators like maggots on shit in "The City of Angels"! The advertising revenue alone must be gigantuan in L.A.!

I'm torn...I can see two to three games a year in Saint Louis, yet as a teen I grew up a Los Angeles Ram...And I got this weird feeling that the refs will throw less flags our way in L.A...

Face it my friends...Steroid charged Superstars will flock to Los Angeles Rams for seven digit fringe benefits.

And unless Jeff Fisher fixes the fiasco in '15, I predict the Rams will flock to LA in 2016 with a new first tier head coach to be named later in tow....

Last edited: