Rams to promote Cignetti to Offensive Coordinator

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
IMO GB failed against the Seahawks because they played scared. They have one of the best QBs in recent history and they called plays like they had Matt Hasselbeck. That's why the Rams have success against them. We aren't scared. Doesn't matter the offensive scheme.
Pack would have beaten Cheatriots in SB.

jap

Legend
A bit of a tangent here, but there's no real reason not to be. Has nothing to do with slavery.

From Wikipedia:

A whipping boy was a young boy who was assigned to a young prince and was punished when the prince misbehaved or fell behind in his schooling. Whipping boys were established in the English court during the monarchies of the 15th century and 16th centuries. They were created because of the idea of the divine right of kings, which stated that kings were appointed by God, and implied that no one but the king was worthy of punishing the king’s son. Since the king was rarely around to punish his son when necessary, tutors to the young prince found it extremely difficult to enforce rules or learning.

Whipping boys were generally of high status, and were educated with the prince from birth. Because the prince and whipping boy grew up together they usually formed a strong emotional bond, especially since the prince usually did not have playmates as other children would have had. The strong bond that developed between a prince and his whipping boy dramatically increased the effectiveness of using a whipping boy as a form of punishment for a prince. The idea of the whipping boys was that seeing a friend being whipped or beaten for something that he had done wrong would be likely to ensure that the prince would not make the same mistake again.

If a whipping boy isn't an explicit expression of slavery, what is?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
If a whipping boy isn't an explicit expression of slavery, what is?
I'd say several things are.

Yes, slaves were whipped, but that's not where whipping boy comes from.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I think Fish gets a bad rap that is unwarranted. The proof is there he wants a passing game. I don't agree with those saying he is the OC that is just wrong.

He wants balance and a power running game but every coach does. He let Schotty open things up and wouldn't have stepped in if they hadn't failed so miserably.

I just do not see him as an overpowering coach that dictates to his staff. I think a lot of folks here have him wrong.

thRZ9NSQPJ.jpg

Sorry couldn't resist, without being there you can only read the signs and it has been long rumored that Fisher takes over control when things become stressful and unsuccessful.

Last edited:

iced

Don't think so. Only reason they almost beat Seahawks was because of injuries and Wilson. Brady is a much better a qb then Wilson and there secondary was healthy.

they also lost because of injuries, most notably to Rodgers not being able to extend plays

Patriots at times struggled with Seattle's receivers - Green bay would have been a completely different challenge

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
You may be right, but I hope you are wrong. I pray you are wrong.

I can't help but think that Tavon and Brian Quick would be a superstars with the Patriots. Look what they did with Ex-Ram Amendola and Edelman. Two undrafted free agent's!

We got first rounders like (Austin and Britt), second round Quick, and third round receivers out the kazoo, and we can't get out of the NFC West basement, much less win a Super Bowl....Although I must point out...We don't cheat.

What did they do with Amendola? He was much better with Bradford as his QB. Why say that without thinking it through?

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
What did they do with Amendola? He was much better with Bradford as his QB. Why say that without thinking it through?

Why say I that? Why- did- I -say- that- without thinking?

Oh, I knew Amendola kicked ass with the Rams and was mediocre with the Patriots. I'm not that stupid. I'm just tired of a decade of losing. Plus, Belechick made use of Amendola in the playoffs and Superbowl, where and when it matters. I'm tired of a mediocre coaching staff not winning games that matter!

I'm sure you know the salary cap in the modern NFL makes it all about the front office and coaching staff. Ownership matters too. As much as I hate the Patriots, I must admit their front office and coaching staff shame ours. Even though they cheat, and thus I will never cheer the Patriots on...The Patriots shame the name patriot, which should matter to any red blooded American!

Yet, why can't we hire a head coach who can run a 21st century offense?

Instead we place our bets on a Neanderthal-anal-retentive head coach who doesn't know how and when to take advantage of Amendola, Tavon Austin, Stacy, Quick, Bailey, Trey Watts, Givens, Kendricks, Bradford, and any other QB that has wandered across the Ram's topography since Jeff Fisher took over. Why am I thinking Pequod and White Sperm Whales?

Instead we are stuck like a gerbil in a wheel in the "good ole boy mode" of a nepotistic Jeff Fisher...Fisher hires friends... Not good enough! Not good enough!

Are you not tired of same old, same old Rams? Dude, I am sooo tired. I don't want to be an eighty year old senile man who can't appreciate the Rams are in the Playoffs, because I dribbling apple sauce off my spoon fed quivering lips. I only have few decades left! Win now! Win now! Win now or never!!!

Yes my friend, I thought it through, and so did you Dude...or else you wouldn't have caught me fudging my statistical info. Good for you smram! Maybe someday soon, we will cheer for a team that wins important games? Like Playoffs and Super Bowls? God, we can only hope!

Last edited:

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
Why say I that? Why- did- I -say- that- without thinking?

Oh, I knew Amendola kicked ass with the Rams and was mediocre with the Patriots. I'm not that stupid. I'm just tired of a decade of losing. Plus, Belechick made use of Amendola in the playoffs and Superbowl, where and when it matters. I'm tired of a mediocre coaching staff not winning games that matter!

I'm sure you know the salary cap in the modern NFL makes it all about the front office and coaching staff. Ownership matters too. As much as I hate the Patriots, I must admit their front office and coaching staff shame ours. Even though they cheat, and thus I will never cheer the Patriots on...The Patriots shame the name patriot, which should matter to any red blooded American!

Yet, why can't we hire a head coach who can run a 21st century offense?

Instead we place our bets on a Neanderthal-anal-retentive head coach who doesn't know how and when to take advantage of Amendola, Tavon Austin, Stacy, Quick, Bailey, Trey Watts, Givens, Kendricks, Bradford, and any other QB that has wandered across the Ram's topography since Jeff Fisher took over. Why am I thinking Pequod and White Sperm Whales?

Instead we are stuck like a gerbil in a wheel in the "good ole boy mode" of a nepotistic Jeff Fisher...Fisher hires friends... Not good enough! Not good enough!

Are you not tired of same old, same old Rams? Dude, I am sooo tired. I don't want to be an eighty year old senile man who can't appreciate the Rams are in the Playoffs, because I dribbling apple sauce off my spoon fed quivering lips. I only have few decades left! Win now! Win now! Win now or never!!!

Yes my friend, I thought it through, and so did you Dude...or else you wouldn't have caught me fudging my statistical info. Good for you smram! Maybe someday soon, we will cheer for a team that wins important games? Like Playoffs and Super Bowls? God, we can only hope!
There's always going to be criticism of coaches. The main things I put on this staff are not having better contingencies in place at B/U QB and Oline depth.

If these things didn't happen, this team would be looking at 10 wins:

Bradford and Jake Long getting hurt. Joseph in turn stays on the bench.
Team seemed to take too long learning williams defense. Was that on Williams rolling out too many wrinkles too fast? Maybe

There are other things obviously but this team is not far at all. It's not like previous years that we all were kidding ourselves that next year they'd be good. This time it's for real. I've been patient all these years and like you, frustrated. I'm excited about this team and it really isn't bullshit like previous years.

Back to the OP, I'm excited about Cig too. I think the continuity will be good. As long as he has creativity, which I'm sure he does, he'll be fine

jap

Legend
I'd say several things are.

Yes, slaves were whipped, but that's not where whipping boy comes from.

I know where the term comes from; I was responding to the statement that a whipping boy "Has nothing to do with slavery."

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I know where the term comes from; I was responding to the statement that a whipping boy "Has nothing to do with slavery."
It doesn't. It sounds like it does, but it doesn't. Which, btw, is also the same reason why some tend to think "apologist" has anything to do with apologizing.

jap

Legend
It doesn't. It sounds like it does, but it doesn't. Which, btw, is also the same reason why some tend to think "apologist" has anything to do with apologizing.

My problem with the whole issue is that I see whipping boys or scapegoats as being special cases of house slaves. Being punished for the misdeeds of others is not a choice a free person accepts, no matter what other advantages they may have had.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
My problem with the whole issue is that I see whipping boys or scapegoats as being special cases of house slaves. Being punished for the misdeeds of others is not a choice a free person accepts, no matter what other advantages they may have had.
It's almost certain those things took place during house slavery. But the term itself doesn't COME from slavery, and in the case of the whipping boy, from all indications, outside of being punished for someone else, they involved quite a life of privilege, since the point of it was that he and the prince would be friends. (Note: I am also not saying this kind of thing is acceptable. Just that getting mad at the term because of slavery is missing the mark.)

Scapegoat comes from the Bible and was literally a goat there.

jap

Legend
It's almost certain those things took place during house slavery. But the term itself doesn't COME from slavery, and in the case of the whipping boy, from all indications, outside of being punished for someone else, they involved quite a life of privilege, since the point of it was that he and the prince would be friends. (Note: I am also not saying this kind of thing is acceptable. Just that getting mad at the term because of slavery is missing the mark.)

I am not over-reacting to the term slavery, I am reacting to the concept of slavery itself, which many have attempted to hide under more gentile terms. During American slavery days, the house slaves (or house niggers) often grew up with and played with the slave owners kids. There was often great familiarity between the two camps even though it was understood that one party was (were) a slave(s) and the other, the heir to ownership. The field slaves often viewed the house slaves of living a relative life of privilege.

I don't believe I am missing the mark at all.

Scapegoat comes from the Bible and was literally a goat there.

Yes, I am familiar with the Azazel goat. I used to be a bible student and bible school facilitator in earlier times. The terms scapegoat and whipping boy have similar basic connotations, someone who is made to accept the blame for the misdeeds of another or misdeeds of others. The two terms, despite their differing origins, are used almost interchangeably now.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I am not over-reacting to the term slavery, I am reacting to the concept of slavery itself, which many have attempted to hide under more gentile terms. During American slavery days, the house slaves (or house niggers) often grew up with and played with the slave owners kids. There was often great familiarity between the two camps even though it was understood that one party was (were) a slave(s) and the other, the heir to ownership. The field slaves often viewed the house slaves of living a relative life of privilege.

But. Neither. Term. Has. Anything. To. Do. With. Slavery!

THAT is the point. Similar things DID happen during slavery, but that is not the fault of those terms. Nothing is intrinsically wrong with those terms. And it's not like anyone is claiming slavery is okay.

jap

Legend
But. Neither. Term. Has. Anything. To. Do. With. Slavery!

THAT is the point. Similar things DID happen during slavery, but that is not the fault of those terms. Nothing is intrinsically wrong with those terms. And it's not like anyone is claiming slavery is okay.

I don't care about your viewpoint. You are playing childish games with semantics. I am far more concerned with the very idea of slavery itself, which at its core involves the subjugation of a human against his|her will for whatever reason, including being punished for the misdeeds of others. If you want to paint pretty word pictures to try and claim technical immunity for these terms against whatever you suppose slavery or scapegoats entails, that is your prerogative. I don't like playing games with reality. Too many people have suffered throughout history over nonsense that was considered socially acceptable in some form or another. You may be surprised at what I consider to be modern day slavery and modern day whipping boys.

lockdnram21

Legend
He was also the best option Bradford hadv. Pats have better options with Edelman and Gronk. If u brought him back he would probably be 4th best behind Quick, Britt, and Bailey

jjab360

Legend
I think it's pretty damn clear that Boffo's intent was not to make light of slavery, so why go there?

I'm all for going out of your way not to offend somebody but I don't agree with going out of your way to be offended.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yeah, how did this turn into a discussion of slavery??? Some people need to lighten up....

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

Yes, I am familiar with the Azazel goat. I used to be a bible student and bible school facilitator in earlier times. The terms scapegoat and whipping boy have similar basic connotations, someone who is made to accept the blame for the misdeeds of another or misdeeds of others. The two terms, despite their differing origins, are used almost interchangeably now.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXlCjmLzNp0