Rams to promote Cignetti to Offensive Coordinator

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Some more links:

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2011/01/rutgers_football_program_hires.html
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/pos...-pitt-offensive-coordinator-frank-cignetti-jr

Edit: check out this quote...

Last year at Cal, you made sure that running back Jahvid Best got a lot of touches. Was that indicative of your philosophy?

FC: Absolutely. When it comes down to it, you've got to think players, not plays. You have to evaluate who your playmakers are and make sure you get the ball in their hands.

Music to my ears.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Some more links:

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2011/01/rutgers_football_program_hires.html
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/pos...-pitt-offensive-coordinator-frank-cignetti-jr

Edit: check out this quote...

Last year at Cal, you made sure that running back Jahvid Best got a lot of touches. Was that indicative of your philosophy?

FC: Absolutely. When it comes down to it, you've got to think players, not plays. You have to evaluate who your playmakers are and make sure you get the ball in their hands.

Music to my ears.

Great quote. I do think it is what some of the most successful coaches do. Find out the skills of their players and highlight them. Even guys like Carroll who are very scheme specific make tweaks here and there to highlight the strengths of their players.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
The biggest question remains, how is he going to use Tavon? That's our most dangerous weapon. Here's to hoping he can do something better than try running him up the middle 3 times in a row!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I really don't have a problem with this. As Thordaddy said about continuity. It wasn't like Snisher was going to hire martz. That said, I'm pondering why wait until next week to announce it?
Maybe Fisher wants to have all his ducks in a row, ie. assistants etc., before any announcement. I would sure like to see an in-Depth look at Cignetti's College OC Career!

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Maybe Fisher wants to have all his ducks in a row, ie. assistants etc., before any announcement. I would sure like to see an in-Depth look at Cignetti's College OC Career!

Dave, there are some of it listed above. Not sure if it's all of it, but I thought it covered him at Fresno St. and Rutgers? I do like some of his philosophies, but that said, sometimes it takes the pass to open up the run.

We will need a new QB coach now. Martz? :cool::D

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm ok with this. It's a continuation of what we were doing previously rather than a full overhaul. That said, I didn't have as many problems with the BSchotty as most Rams fans did, and saw most of our offensive failings last year related to OL performance and the loss of Bradford (where neither Hill nor Davis were as good as Clemens was in 2013). Imho, the continuity will be a good thing, no slow starts on offense.
I'm with ya.
I was fine with Shotty as well.
I am fine with either Cingetti or Boras. Both guys seem like they've earned the opportunity.

Could surprise.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Nothing so far on a specific system. But it looks like he fits Fisher's style to a T.
Yes I believe this will be true. It will be the same hybrid system the Rams have been running.

If we hear anything about Fisher giving Cignetti some creative license, this article is pretty good at explaining his past background and the likely direction would be to look more like the Packers offense: http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2011/08/politi_rutgers_frank_cignetti.html

"Frank Cignetti could spend hours trying to describe the offense he is bringing to Rutgers, breaking down the multiple formations and shifts designed to create matchup problems.

But, to keep everyone from overdosing on X’s and O’s, perhaps it’s better to start here: You know the Green Bay offense? ... Yes, it’s a lot like that offense.

“The foundation is the same,” Cignetti said ... he describes as a combination of West Coast offense and Don Coryell’s Digit play-calling system ...
Cignetti believes his offense — with a passing game reliant on quick routes and timing, one that will complement a strong running game — will take pressure off the pass blockers.

“The system itself has answers to defensive-generated problems,” Cignetti said. “What’s the problem? Here’s the solution. When you look at the three phases of offense, this is a true system that, in my mind, is second to none.”​

But don't worry, it's doubtful that Fisher will allow the Rams to resemble the Packers offense too much since would get in the way of those 13-10 wins..!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Let's roll, Cigs!!! See what I did there?

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
101 reporting that Cignetti will draw up passing plays and Boras will draw up running plays. Boras gets a promotion to running game coordinator.. I'm thinking this give Boudreau time to concentrate on OL. I'll post audio when it's archived. Cignetti will then coordinate all the plays. Not much different. Hanifan drew up running plays for GSOT while Martz drew up passing plays.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Im not all that thrilled about this but what can you do? They will probably still run Shotty's basic offense and just tweak it. I just hope Cignetti ends up being a better play caller than Shotty.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Wonder if anyone has done a before and after analysis of his work as OC . . . did he improve the offnese when get got those jobs and did offense decline after he left?

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Wonder if anyone has done a before and after analysis of his work as OC . . . did he improve the offnese when get got those jobs and did offense decline after he left?

Looking at Fresno State from earlier in the thread, I would say he improved it but not sure.

Athos

Legend
Wants to be like Green Bay, eh?

Here's hoping he has a healthy Bradford to use then.

We "kinda" have a Randall Cobb but not really and kinda have a Nelson but not really.

Bigger thing would be getting your Eddie Lacy bruiser this year.

Gurley please?

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G

“The foundation is the same,” Cignetti said ... he describes as a combination of West Coast offense and Don Coryell’s Digit play-calling system ...

Well, Shotty had Coryell's verbiage, though the 3-digits is to a degree a thing of the past, and Shotty used WCO aspects, too, espeically when he had Favre.​

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Looking at Fresno State from earlier in the thread, I would say he improved it but not sure.

I took a quick glance, he showed improvement in all his jobs, but never had a big-time passing offense, with perhaps the exception of Fresno in 2006

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This could be the perfect "under the radar" guy for us. The system will almost certainly use the same lingo, be very similar in many aspects but will have an unknown element to it that could be both intriguing and exciting, maybe even be hard to prepare for because of its newness. Cig will already be familiar with what he has to work with and maybe have some say so on draft day. I like it.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I took a quick glance, he showed improvement in all his jobs, but never had a big-time passing offense, with perhaps the exception of Fresno in 2006

Cool.. You question is a very valid one. I didn't have time to look it up as was working on another thread, multitasking here at home, and etc. I saw that they lead yards per attempt the one year at Fresno St. That said, if the cat is more a ground and pound guy, why did they promote Boras to running game coordinator? Wouldn't Cignetti's strength be the running game from his history? :unsure:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Im not all that thrilled about this but what can you do? They will probably still run Shotty's basic offense and just tweak it. I just hope Cignetti ends up being a better play caller than Shotty.

He can't be worse.