Rams to let Britt and Tru walk in free agency?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I guess I'm the only one with a problem with letting Tru go. The guy is about to peak and is a pretty good CB. Can't let good young talent walk. With Britt I see more leeway, but the guy put up an 1,000 yard season with well below average QB play. He isn't a star, but he shouldn't be so easily dismissed either.

I have a huge problem with it. Great Corners dont go on trees. I dont want another team reaping the benefits for the time and money we spent developing him.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
A BIG no to Claiborne he is atrocious with a capital A. I say we let everyone walk except Greg the leg, Tru, and benny c. Cut kendricks, Sims, Saffold, and any other players earning more than their keep.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
IMO, much ado about nothing. Pure speculation at this point. Until the coaches evaluate the roster and actually meet with the players, it's nothing more than someone trying to create "news." I won't put much stock into reports about who will/will not be retained until the entire coaching staff has had the chance to go through the process of evaluating everyone, etc.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
After reading some of these replies, I'm so happy some of you don't run a football team. Sigh...

Anyways, I'd keep both. Neither of them are an issue on the team. Both of them have been the best at their position on this team. Why go out and replace that? Or attempt to replace that? We have way too many other holes on this team to not keep them. Replace them in the near future? Sure but now is not the time.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I'm indifferent. If we keep either, McVay could get something nice going. Tru will go to the Browns if he fits FA, that's for sure.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
We're likely having to over pay any FA coming in at this point, so may as well pay big to keep the known commodity in Tru.

I was gung-ho on letting everyone pound sand at the end of the year, but given some time to reflect, I think Tru is one of the few players you have to keep to show that you have a functional franchise. Can't let cornerstone players walk; it reflects poorly on the whole organization, and sends a poor message to the players as well.

Britt I'm a bit more iffy on. I admire the work he put in, and I feel he's been short-changed by a lot of the fan base, but I don't know that I'd pay what he's likely to get. And I'm sure the asking price has gone up sans Fish.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
We're likely having to over pay any FA coming in at this point.

I disagree. If Fisher was still the coach, I would agree. But FAs see the new exciting coaching hire, new coaching staff(damn good so far) and the nice weather and lifestyle in LA, and players will want to join up. My opinion of course.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
tru needs to stay, just like Jenkins should have been resigned. Sick of all the disloyal fans. These guys were drafted as Rams, it means something to me. Free agency sucks, worst thing to ever happen to pro sports fans.
Mo can not carry Tru;s jock. You people think you can just dial up another player in FA. I want all those draft picks from the RGIII trade to work out and be with the team a long time.
I am not opposed to Quick getting another shot with real offensive coaches. He and the rest of the Rams offense had incompetent coaches. Depends on what the new coaches think.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I disagree. If Fisher was still the coach, I would agree. But FAs see the new exciting coaching hire, new coaching staff(damn good so far) and the nice weather and lifestyle in LA, and players will want to join up. My opinion of course.
I hope you're right, but I can also see a fair amount of skeptics out there too.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Joseph and Carr will bee 33 and 31 respectively when the season starts. Both are mediocre to below average at this stage in their careers. I dont want to draft and develop yet another player so he can be an all pro somewhere else. IF Tru didn't play such a valuable position like CB ok maybe it might make sense to move on. However I dont want to replace him with some stop gaps who's play could easily fall off a cliff and hope you hit on some mid round corners. That is real a risky to me especially with how bad our other corners were. We aren't in the same position as the Panthers last year when they let Josh Norman go. They had fewer holes on their roster so they could invest heavily in corners in the draft. The rams have holes everywhere. IMO we should lock Tru up and draft some competition for EJ.

Disagree. Both guys are on par with Johnson right now in terms of play. There is a risk they fall off in the future, but that's why you develop guys behind them. If I can get two quality CBs for the price of one, let's do it. Allows me to focus my other resources on the offense.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
tru needs to stay, just like Jenkins should have been resigned. Sick of all the disloyal fans. These guys were drafted as Rams, it means something to me. Free agency sucks, worst thing to ever happen to pro sports fans.
Mo can not carry Tru;s jock. You people think you can just dial up another player in FA. I want all those draft picks from the RGIII trade to work out and be with the team a long time.
I am not opposed to Quick getting another shot with real offensive coaches. He and the rest of the Rams offense had incompetent coaches. Depends on what the new coaches think.

C'mon brother. It's good to be passionate. We're all on the same side. So it would be good to stay away from the "you people" stuff.

Pretty sure you can make your case without doing that.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

If we can get a better player at the same price, or a player at the same level at a cheaper price, we should absolutely do that, regardless of any loyalty to that player. I don't really care that we drafted him. It'd be nice to keep him sure, but at the end of the day I want to win, and the Rams need to do what's best for the football team, not what makes us happy.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
What price do you think it would take to get Desean Jackson to sign with us? What is his "value" on the market?

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Disagree. Both guys are on par with Johnson right now in terms of play. There is a risk they fall off in the future, but that's why you develop guys behind them. If I can get two quality CBs for the price of one, let's do it. Allows me to focus my other resources on the offense.

On par? Neither guy is a number one corner Tru is. They will be available because there teams dont think they are worth their salary. Drafting guys you need to develop behind them takes up resources. IMO If those two are your corners the need for corners in the draft is greater than just having Tru. No team in the league has a corner duo that old and only a handful are giving 30 year old corners major snaps let alone starting 2. Corner is a young mans game ask Darelle Revis. If those are your corners Aaron Rogers better be the QB and Goff isn't there yet.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
What price do you think it would take to get Desean Jackson to sign with us? What is his "value" on the market?

7-10 million a year for no more than 4 years. Sweet spot would be around 8.5m a year what crabtree got, but who knows after Tavon's deal screwed the whole WR structure up.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Let Tru walk. Yeah, that's silly talk at this point. You don't decide to let go of quality corners unless they're asking for the Moon, Sun and Stars as compensation. They're extremely important to your defense and finding a good one who's 6'2" and can play is rare.

FRO

Legend
Let Tru walk. Yeah, that's silly talk at this point. You don't decide to let go of quality corners unless they're asking for the Moon, Sun and Stars as compensation. They're extremely important to your defense and finding a good one who's 6'2" and can play is rare.
Exactly. It reminds me of the Joe Thomas article I posted a few weeks ago about letting young quality players go. It's impossible to build a team while letting good young developed talent walk out the door. Letting Johnson go is silly talk. This time last year if someone said that by the 2017 season the Rams would be without Jenkins, Johnson, and McLeod nobody would be happy. Two are already gone. Have to keep Johnson. I also feel the team really needs to keep McDonald too.