Rams to let Britt and Tru walk in free agency?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On par? Neither guy is a number one corner Tru is. They will be available because there teams dont think they are worth their salary. Drafting guys you need to develop behind them takes up resources. IMO If those two are your corners the need for corners in the draft is greater than just having Tru. No team in the league has a corner duo that old and only a handful are giving 30 year old corners major snaps let alone starting 2. Corner is a young mans game ask Darelle Revis. If those are your corners Aaron Rogers better be the QB and Goff isn't there yet.

Trumaine isn't a #1 CB. Brandon Carr and Trumaine play the exact same role. They both align at LCB 100% of the time. With the Texans, I'm not sure how they do things. I think they move their DBs around. But Joseph was their #1 for years and is still playing at a high level.

A number of teams gave 30+ year old CBs snaps this year with success. This draft is absolutely stacked with CBs. It's the right year to get guys we can develop.

Grab a couple vets who still can play. Grab guys to develop behind them. That's where I WANT to spend my resources. It's using the strength of the NFL Draft to my advantage.

I'm fine with keeping Trumaine. But if he's asking more than $10 million per year, I'm going to weigh my other options.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly. It reminds me of the Joe Thomas article I posted a few weeks ago about letting young quality players go. It's impossible to build a team while letting good young developed talent walk out the door. Letting Johnson go is silly talk. This time last year if someone said that by the 2017 season the Rams would be without Jenkins, Johnson, and McLeod nobody would be happy. Two are already gone. Have to keep Johnson. I also feel the team really needs to keep McDonald too.

McDonald is redundant here imo. If we re-sign him, we're wasting resources that could have gone into the OL or WR corp.

Building a NFL roster is all about asset allocation. You have to make tough decisions.

7-10 million a year for no more than 4 years. Sweet spot would be around 8.5m a year what crabtree got, but who knows after Tavon's deal screwed the whole WR structure up.

One deal doesn't screw the whole WR structure up. The market is still going to determine value. With DeSean, I'd say between $7 million and $8 million a year is where I expect him to fall.

JRobinson

MiLB
We are re-signing Tru. Guaranteed.

No need to elaborate on what others have said on why to keep him. But it's clear, this team needs Trumaine Johnson.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Trumaine isn't a #1 CB. Brandon Carr and Trumaine play the exact same role. They both align at LCB 100% of the time. With the Texans, I'm not sure how they do things. I think they move their DBs around. But Joseph was their #1 for years and is still playing at a high level.

A number of teams gave 30+ year old CBs snaps this year with success. This draft is absolutely stacked with CBs. It's the right year to get guys we can develop.

Grab a couple vets who still can play. Grab guys to develop behind them. That's where I WANT to spend my resources. It's using the strength of the NFL Draft to my advantage.

I'm fine with keeping Trumaine. But if he's asking more than $10 million per year, I'm going to weigh my other options.

At this point in his career Joseph is a mediocre number 2 at best. Tru and Carr may play the same role, but Tru does it at a much higher level. If Joseph is still playing at such a high level why would they cut him when he makes a reasonable 6.5m for one more year with Bouye potentially leaving.

My point is no team started two 30 year olds. You wanted to replace Tru with a 33 and 31 year old. By my count 3 out of 32 teams got effective corner play from 30 year olds. The Texans (Joseph), Bengals (Pacman), and Vikings (Terrence Newman). What do all three of those teams have in common? Those 30 year olds they have are playing with 2 young first rounders at CB. Rams do not have that young talent base at corner or the resources to build it with all their other needs.

Tru trailed some people at times like Brandon Marshall and definitely wanted to do it more, but Williams always makes his corners stick to one side even when we had JJ. Tru not trailing number 1s is more of indictment on the scheme than it is on his ability. He can only do what is asked and he did it at a high level. Last year teams actually threw at him and that resulted and QBs having a bottom 5 QB rating with his coverage this year they barely threw at him and he didn't give up alot of yards or TDs. IMO he is a number one 1 and you would be hard pressed to find many better than him. You can still use the strength of the draft to get Trus running mate, but the need is less dire.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At this point in his career Joseph is a mediocre number 2 at best. Tru and Carr may play the same role, but Tru does it at a much higher level. If Joseph is still playing at such a high level why would they cut him when he makes a reasonable 6.5m for one more year with Bouye potentially leaving.

I don't think your information on Joseph is accurate. Here's what PFF had to say coming into the year:
After a torrid display against the Panthers in Week 2, Joseph rebounded with three pass defenses and only 24 yards allowed to the Bucs a week later, and he didn’t look back. Over the final 14 weeks of the season Joseph was the highest-graded corner in the league in coverage.

I'm not a fan of PFF's grades (unfortunately, there's not much in the way of CB metrics available), but I haven't seen Joseph's game decline much when I watched him. He's still a quality starting CB.

As for Carr, based on what I've read this year, he's performed about as well as Tru has.

Why cut Joseph? Because they have Kareem Jackson, Kevin Johnson, and will want to re-sign A.J. Bouye.

My point is no team started two 30 year olds. You wanted to replace Tru with a 33 and 31 year old. By my count 3 out of 32 teams got effective corner play from 30 year olds. The Texans (Joseph), Bengals (Pacman), and Vikings (Terrence Newman). What do all three of those teams have in common? Those 30 year olds they have are playing with 2 young first rounders at CB. Rams do not have that young talent base at corner or the resources to build it with all their other needs.

You're missing some 30-year old CBs.(Brent Grimes, Aqib Talib, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, William Gay, Darius Butler, etc.)

I don't think you'd have any sort of trouble starting DRC and Talib or Carr and Brent Grimes. Good players are good players.

Tru trailed some people at times like Brandon Marshall and definitely wanted to do it more, but Williams always makes his corners stick to one side even when we had JJ. Tru not trailing number 1s is more of indictment on the scheme than it is on his ability. He can only do what is asked and he did it at a high level. Last year teams actually threw at him and that resulted and QBs having a bottom 5 QB rating with his coverage this year they barely threw at him and he didn't give up alot of yards or TDs. IMO he is a number one 1 and you would be hard pressed to find many better than him. You can still use the strength of the draft to get Trus running mate, but the need is less dire.

Tru not trailing #1s made plenty of sense. Tru isn't built to stop every WR. Plus, allowing our CBs to stick to their side means less responsibilities to learn which makes it easier for them to react rather than think.

Trumaine is a good, maybe even a very good CB. But he's not a great or elite CB. If he's a top 10 CB, he's right on the fringe. I don't really consider him a #1 in the same vein as guys like Patrick Peterson, Janoris Jenkins, or Marcus Peters. I don't think he's quite that good.

I'm fine with Tru coming back. I've had us re-signing him in many of my mocks. But it depends on the price. Tru is more Brandon Carr than Chris Harris Jr. in terms of ranking among NFL CBs.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I don't trust Claiborne. He can't stay healthy and has struggled for much of his career. He'd have to be willing to sign a cheap deal. I'd rather have Brandon Carr.

Heard today on Sirius Sat Radio B. Carr said he's thinking of retiring

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
The only thing I'd like to add is if we can upgrade the positions then great - Britt has been fairly solid for us this year, 1000+ yards and 5TDs on an offense which is ranked last is pretty impressive if you ask me. It all comes down to whether he thinks he is worth more and CAN work with McVay. I'd imaging Britt will be cheaper than Jeffrey, DeSean and Garcon - what about Michael Floyd? Would he be worth a punt, I'd also be happy in cutting Quick and picking up Cordarrelle Patterson.

With the CB class this year, it's a pretty good one in FA and Draft (IMO) it will all come down to production vs value. I'd hate to see Tru leave and all of a sudden become elite... I still would have rather have kept JJ over Tru...

It would be interesting to see what Wade will do with this D.

As someone else mentioned (@jrry32 I think) I really don't want to go high $$$ on some positions when we really need to shore up our o-line and I really don't think that we can do that in the draft. We need some proven bodies on that line AND a new o-line coach... if we haven't got one already?!

Psycho_X

Legend
Tru is our best defensive player not named Donald. Not sure why we'd be quick to jettison him. We already let a number 1 CB leave via free agency and watched him flourish are we going to do that again?

Britt, eh whatever. I have faith McVay knows what Britt is and isn't. And if it doesn't fit what he wants to do he won't be back.

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a huge problem with it. Great Corners dont go on trees. I dont want another team reaping the benefits for the time and money we spent developing him.
That's it he's not great... He's not a #1 and want be worth what he will command

lockdnram21

Legend
Tru is our best defensive player not named Donald. Not sure why we'd be quick to jettison him. We already let a number 1 CB leave via free agency and watched him flourish are we going to do that again?

Britt, eh whatever. I have faith McVay knows what Britt is and isn't. And if it doesn't fit what he wants to do he won't be back.
Because he's going to cost close to what Jenkins got and he's not worth it

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Think about it. You're Trumaine....new coaching staff, been a losing team all 5 years of your career thus far. You've been hurt more than a few times...

The guy can literally make more money (most likely) in FA and go to another team - I really doubt the Rams will be the ones to decide whether or not Johnson is a Ram next year.

As for Britt, I think he will leave and I'm just fine with that.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I would not let tru go, I wouldn't pay him top money either. Wade phillips system needs 2 good cover corners and everyone forgets Denver has 2 of the top 10 corners in the league. We have a good nickel corner in joyner. Other than tru we lack talent on the outside . Gaines can be a good number 2 but he made alot of mistakes last season .

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Some team will overpay for Tru and I hope it isn't us. I like him as a player, but he is not one of the top 5 corners in the game and someone will likely pay him as if he is.

lockdnram21

Legend
I would not let tru go, I wouldn't pay him top money either. Wade phillips system needs 2 good cover corners and everyone forgets Denver has 2 of the top 10 corners in the league. We have a good nickel corner in joyner. Other than tru we lack talent on the outside . Gaines can be a good number 2 but he made alot of mistakes last season .
That's all Tru is, he's a good #2

FRO

Legend
Because he's going to cost close to what Jenkins got and he's not worth it
People said the same thing about Jenkins last year. Letting good young talent leave is not a smart way to build a team. It's not like the Rams are loaded with talent where they can let talent go.

lockdnram21

Legend
People said the same thing about Jenkins last year. Letting good young talent leave is not a smart way to build a team. It's not like the Rams are loaded with talent where they can let talent go.
He's good but are u willing to pay him what Jenkins is getting?

lockdnram21

Legend
And he's not fast like Jenkins... He gets torched by the faster receivers... He was OK this year without Jenkins playing on the other side. He's a good #2

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let Tru walk. Yeah, that's silly talk at this point. You don't decide to let go of quality corners unless they're asking for the Moon, Sun and Stars as compensation. They're extremely important to your defense and finding a good one who's 6'2" and can play is rare.
I'm with you, but it seems to me that we will have to overpay for him, which Demoff isn't that inclined to do (or hasn't been in the past). I guess we could franchise tag him???