Rams signing Robert Woods

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
Woods is going to play the Garcon role. He's not as physical or athletic, but he is a solid route runner with good hands and is a top 5 run blocking WR. I hope the contract is incentive laden because 5 - 39 mil is alot of money for him. 6 mil a year with incentives for yards and TDs would be a really good deal. Expect him to have around 800-900 yards and 5 TDs a year and be a solid possession #2. This could be like a Marvin Jones type deal where he performs better on his second team.

I posted an article with a spreadsheet comparing Woods to Jones, Taint, Sumu and others over the first four years in the NFL. He does well. It's earlier in the thread.

If Woods stays relatively healthy this becomes a solid investment and maybe a great bargain. Woods is only 24 so as you indicated he could be a Marvin Jones type of deal. I think Rams got him at a great price.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder if Woods's 160+ yards against Seattle last year played a role in this.

jap

Legend
So who do you think could be out number 1 next season? Not alot of cash left unless they deal try. Alot of time left, but they are paying 2 smaller receivers alot of money next season.

We may not end up with a #1 WR, although I doubt it will be for lack of trying. Robert is mot a small receiver; he is sized similar to Torry Holt. If they manage to work a trade with Tru, they might free up enough money to make further trades, whether those involve WR's or not.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Idk anything about him. Is he better than Britt?
I think Britt is getting a 4 year 32 million deal. So money-wise, are they pretty much on par?

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
Idk anything about him. Is he better than Britt?
I think Britt is getting a 4 year 32 million deal. So money-wise, are they pretty much on par?

Britt is more gifted, heck Britt has the talent to be a top 10 WR in the league. But you'll never see it because he's a lazy bum. Woods is a solid #2 like everyone has said and he's a hard worker. Better locker room guy.

TexasRam

Legend
I don't like the pick. But oh well let's hope I am wrong.

I would have spent the money on a proven Olineman.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This puts us over the cap though doesn't it? We only had 7 million and he just got 7.8. We must be making cuts or trades that haven't been reported yet.
IF we trade Tru, doesn't that free up 16.7 mil!?!

EasyE

Starter
Excited about Woods...hoping he can be a Henry Ellard type route runner....Elllard wasnt much of a long baller, but ran precision routes....

Hopefully the warm weather and more of a passing offense will spark him to be the steal of this FA season!

Hear, Hear !

Last edited:

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
We don't need what people refer to as a number 1. Go into next year with Woods, Austin, Cooper, Thomas along side Kendricks, Higbee and Hemingway. We then draft JuJu or another in the 2nd. With an improved OLine and McVay we have greatly improved our offense along with a Gurley rebound. Let the WR compete for Goffs attention, he's the one who will decide is our best receiver.
We need size on the sidelines and in the end zone .hopefully juju can be that for us or they find another wr in the draft. I do love our speed and run after catch threats on the team now

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
McVay is gonna try to make Austin our Desean (has to because of the contract on this kid) and Woods his Garcon. Simple as that.

That's assuming the Rams are done making additions at WR, which they almost certainly aren't.

IMO its more likely that Tavon fills the Jamison Crowder role, Woods plays the Garcon role, and they find there deep threat/redzone guy in the draft to fill the DeSean role.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Sounds as if Woods can fufill the role of a reliable and precise route running possesion receiver.

A critical need in today's NFL and one the Rams have woefully lacked since Amedola left.

I am most pleased with the Ram's FA acquistions thus far.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
65 catches for 613 yards and 1 TD.

I don't understand how he is better than Britt. What does he bring to the Rams? What is his role going to be?
Woods is a technician .... ala I. Bruce. Now ... I am not saying he IS Bruce, just that he approaches the game the same way. He also hasn't been utilized right while in Buffalo, IMHO. I think Woods is a very solid #2 type WR. Yes we had to pay more than WE would like, but it's how the market is bearing out and it doesn't help that our offense has been so bad over the yrs, we probably HAD to pay a guy more. But Woods is fine. He is a lot like Garcon. Now we need to add another one in the draft. Right now I am hoping for one of Schuster/ Z.Jones/Godwin. If we can't or don't go there in Rd. 2 then my next hopes are Carlos Henderson or Zamora in the 4th to add some speed.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Best blocking WR in free agency

Goff be like

8621547.gif

Like I said earlier about him . Kromer knows him . He must know how good he blocks and his talent.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
cool with this.. always liked him. Remember watching him and Lee in college they were awesome.

my buddy's a bills fan and says we got a gem (y)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Woods is a technician .... ala I. Bruce. Now ... I am not saying he IS Bruce, just that he approaches the game the same way. He also hasn't been utilized right while in Buffalo, IMHO. I think Woods is a very solid #2 type WR. Yes we had to pay more than WE would like, but it's how the market is bearing out and it doesn't help that our offense has been so bad over the yrs, we probably HAD to pay a guy more. But Woods is fine. He is a lot like Garcon. Now we need to add another one in the draft. Right now I am hoping for one of Schuster/ Z.Jones/Godwin. If we can't or don't go there in Rd. 2 then my next hopes are Carlos Henderson or Zamora in the 4th to add some speed.

I think for the Rams to get one of the three it will have to be in round 1. If TE Engram is available I wouldn't be surprised if he is the pick.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
McVay is gonna try to make Austin our Desean (has to because of the contract on this kid) and Woods his Garcon. Simple as that.
There are two problems with this thinking ... well 3 ... kinda. Height ( even smaller than DJ), shorter arms than you would like in ANY WR let alone a short one and his hand size is very small. DJ has big hands for a guy his size which helps him snatch balls out of the air.
I would love for TA to prove me wrong ... .but i just doubt he can overcome these (lack of) physical attributes that make up a great WR. But if that is what they think they are going to do with him .... i'm gonna pray they are right. I think we still need to add another speed element to the WR corps, or mike Thomas needs to show up big this year.