Rams signing Robert Woods

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Another good free agent signing? But just a few hours ago everybody was mad at the front office for not doing anything.;)

Could it be that a smart young WR with good hands might get lots of opportunities in the 2017 Rams O that may not have been possible in 2016?
Especially now that the Oline no longer seems like a disaster.

jap

Legend

Tavon has to be able to run precision routes before he gets be a speedy wideout on a consistent basis. We will see how McVay's crew works him, but Tavon will probably continue to be a combo RB/WR/PR. The more quality options the Horns offense secures, the more dangerous Tavon will become since they can no longer just key on him to the exclusion of other options.

Ram65

Legend
Stats
http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/15880/robert-woods

A little perspective on 24 year old Smith in this article. He did have 4 not so great QB's in a run offense. He seemed to get deep in college but, looks more like he can be a solid #2 WR. Good routes and hands. Nice spread sheet comparisons to Sunu, Golden Taint and other is first four years in NFL. You have to know the Rams did their homework here.

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/...s-poised-to-cash-in-as-nfl-free-agency-looms/
By: Robert Quinn | February 9, 2017 10:57 am ET
Every offseason we see good, yet not great players sign mindblowing contracts with enormous amounts of guaranteed money on the open market. That will be the case again this March when the NFL free agency period opens, as the league’s salary cap is expected to surge from $155.3 million to an estimated $166 million- $170 million.

Unfortunately for the Buffalo Bills, the increase in available funds will result in an inflation of salaries to match and the wide receiver position is one that typically seems to have the most egregious contracts handed out on a yearly basis.

The latest look at the Buffalo Bills salary cap situation is bleak
Bills wide receiver Robert Woods has been waiting for this. The former second-round pick from the 2013 NFL draft has spent the last four seasons in Buffalo catching passes from the likes of EJ Manuel, Jeff Tuel, Thad Lewis, Kyle Orton and Tyrod Taylor.

3 reasons the Bills must re-sign free agent WR Robert Woods

In 57 career games, Woods has caught 203 passes for 2,451 receiving yards and 12 touchdowns. He’s been a complementary weapon in a run-oriented offense that threw the ball less than just about any team in the NFL.

His 2016 stat line was unimpressive after putting up decent numbers throughout his first three years, catching 51 passes for 613 yards and just one touchdown.

However, Woods is still just 24-years old – the same as 2016 first-round draft pick Josh Doctson!

Some studies by Pro Football Focus and RotoWire looked into when wide receivers have ‘peak’ seasons and when they begin to decline. Both found that wide receivers begin to enter their peak at 25-years old, before their production begins to gradually decline when they turn 28-years old.

When Woods officially becomes an unrestricted free agent, it will be difficult for the Bills to re-sign him given their current salary cap situation. And, despite his pedestrian statistics, Woods only has to look at the contracts handed out to wide receivers over the last three seasons to set his market – which will definitely be bigger than many expect.

Here are some of the recent contracts handed out to complementary wide receivers as unrestricted free agents since 2014.

fa-contract.jpg

Here are those players’ career statistics in the four-year span they played prior to becoming unrestricted free agents.

fa-career.jpg

Woods, who is listed at 6-foot-1 and 201-pounds fits the mold of your prototypical No. 2 pass-catcher. He’s got good speed, is a polished route runner that doesn’t waste any steps. He has reliable hands and is extremely physical and a willing run blocker.

Alshon Jeffery and Desean Jackson are the ‘headliners’ of the 2017 free agent crop of wide receivers, but don’t be surprised to see Woods sign for quite a bit more than you’d imagine.

345SHARES
TWEET

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
He replaces Britt? He is not better than Britt but maybe better than what we have. Same price ish as KB for a younger guy with some upside. I am an S.C guy and have tracked RW throughout his career solid route runner, average hands, average speed. good player but doesn't have the size mismatch KB had although he is a better character guy.

EDIT: He was very good at helping out his QB by coming open after the play got blown up and it was improve time. He doesn't quit.

Last edited:

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
He replaces Britt? He is not better than Britt but maybe better than what we have. Same price ish as KB for a younger guy with some upside. I am an S.C guy and have tracked RW throughout his career solid route runner, average hands, average speed. good player but doesn't have the size mismatch KB had although he is a better character guy.

So definitely not an upgrade over Britt? That was going to be my question. Is he an upgrade over Britt? There is still a possibility he is the upgrade over Quick, and there is still a Britt replacement looming.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The cat only got about 70-75 targets in a run first, and throw to Sammy Watkins when they pass offense and still avg about 50 catches, 600+ yards and 3 TD
Good player who needed a change of scenery and Im glad he got it

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
So definitely not an upgrade over Britt? That was going to be my question. Is he an upgrade over Britt? There is still a possibility he is the upgrade over Quick, and there is still a Britt replacement looming.
He is a very different player than KB. KB is a physical mismatch but a headcase. RW is a solid football player that wont outrun or beat you with size. RW is an above average route runner and blocker, gritty, gets the most out of his average frame and speed. good add but not a mismatch or take the top off guy. If we get a size or downfield speed guy he becomes a very productive add.
They are just different. Don't think of him as a replacement but as an addition.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception

EDIT: He was very good at helping out his QB by coming open after the play got blown up and it was improve time. He doesn't quit.

No he is an upgrade....Only thing Britt had was experience but with Britts experience he should of done what NFL vets do, play 110% at all times. That and Britts off-field jackassary was childish.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree but I think they really like Barnes.

I think at this point, we really don't know who the new staff likes.

But I agree, I hope Barnes moves back to backup Center and we bring in someone else.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I'm usually very positive but I'm not sure he's the number 1 guy we need. He's a great route runner and a solid number 2.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To me the signing of Woods means he will have a chance to be a # 1 WR. Also we may be going WR possibly someone like JuJu in the draft. And the other guys who are currently on the roster will battle for the other remaining WR spots.
Doesn't have the tools to be a one but he can certainly be a fringe 1000 yard, consistent possession reciever

Last edited:

jap

Legend
I'm usually very positive but I'm not sure he's the number 1 guy we need. He's a great route runner and a solid number 2.

Robert is not a #1 WR: he is a very solid #2 guy who will probably be utilized more by the Horns than the Bills used him.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
I agree but I think they really like Barnes.

I've never got that feeling. Barnes was playing because they had nobody better on the 53. This is a business, Barnes was one of the worst Centers in the NFL last year, it's time to find a replacement.

Big Game

Living The Dream
Doesn't have the tools to be a one but he can certainly be a fringe 1000 yard, consistent possession reciever

I agree he is not a # 1 WR but with what we have on the roster right now it gives him the chance. Similar to Kenny Britt he is not a number #1 but for us he played that role.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sean McVay can turn him into a #1 WR , (y)