Rams sign CB Sam Shields

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Not sure about passing Hill but he absolutely shouldn't get lost in the shuffle.

And I don't think they will.

Imagine this... Say this is Talibs last year but he still has a good to great year. Having Hill back him up would be a great learning experience for him and if he could step into his spot next year and and play like we all think he can we could be set up a cornerback for a long time. So I think and hope I'm safe to say that that the Rams front office won't let that happen.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I hope this doesn't mean that they're giving up on NRC. NRC was arguably our best cornerback this year.
If it where up to me, I would release Tru and Webster and keep NRC along with Peters-Talib and Sheilds!!

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
True that, tho I’m not so sure about Webster being gone just yet, Shields being the textbook “wildcard”if there ever was one

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i agree Dave, but NRC was so good for us last season, he may have priced himself out of our budget
train

He's one of those who are testing the market because he thinks he's worth more than the Rams think makes sense - if NRC is right he'll sign elsewhere - if it's close, the Rams will make a counteroffer.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.dailynews.com/2018/03/1...ack-with-rams-in-spite-of-concussion-history/

Sam Shields waging comeback with Rams, in spite of concussion history
By RYAN KARTJE

gettyimages-501244716.jpg

Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

THOUSAND OAKS — For months, as his head throbbed with pain and his eyes struggled with bright lights, Sam Shields worried his once-promising NFL career might be over.

In 2015, Shields was the Green Bay Packers’ top cornerback, ranking among the league’s best at the position. But in December of that season, his helmet slammed into the turf, and Shields blacked out. Diagnosed with a concussion, the Packers shelved him for the remainder of the season. He returned in time for the 2016 season opener, but on a routine tackle, Shields suffered yet another concussion, his fifth recorded in six seasons.

This time, he walked off the field under his own power. But the fallout, in the weeks to come, was much worse.

The headaches were excruciating. “I was going through hell,” Shields recalls.

With lingering concerns about his football future, the Packers cut him in February, shortly after the season ended.

Since, the road back has been long for the one-time Pro Bowl corner. For nearly six months, he dealt with intermittent symptoms stemming from his concussions; some days, the throbbing pain was constant. But gradually the symptoms subsided, and after mulling for a full year whether to wage a comeback, after considering the serious risks he faced in returning, Shields decided this offseason that he wanted to play football again.

“Throughout that year I was out, I doubted a lot,” Shields says. “I was in and out most of the time, feeling good, feeling bad. It took me the whole year (to decide).”

All the while, as Shields rehabbed nearby at UCLA, the Rams closely monitored his status. In Shields, they saw a cornerback with Pro Bowl potential who could be signed at a significant bargain price. In six seasons, Shields had 18 interceptions — the same total as now-departed corner Trumaine Johnson.

“We’ve been knocking on the door, like, ‘Hey, let us know,’ ” general manager Les Snead said. “We wanted to be the first visit.”

gettyimages-501243416.jpg

Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images

It was the only visit Shields needed. The 31-year-old corner spent the better part of two days at the Rams’ facility — most of which, Snead says, was dedicated to medical testing. Shortly after, they signed him to a one-year contract reportedly worth a bit above $1 million in 2018. That’s more than $11 million less than he was set to make with the Packers in 2016, prior to his injury.

The Rams declined to make any medical staff available to discuss the specifics of how Shields was cleared. But when asked about the team’s process for clearing Shields, Snead expressed no concern over his medical status and reiterated that the veteran corner would be a full participant going forward.

“It’s probably not as black and white as, ‘Hey, this is a torn ACL,’ ” Snead said. “It’s fascinating where the science of studying the brain is at. Anytime you listen to these doctors that do that, you’re like, ‘Hey, they’re actually doing something real.’ I’m not sure what I’m doing, but they’re doing something real. The technology and advancement there gives you a pretty good idea of how to handle that situation.”

The reality, however, is that handling a player with a history of concussions is very much a case-by-case situation. Shields could be fine this season. Another head injury, however, could also leave him with long-lasting brain damage and symptoms far worse than those he suffered through last season.

In an interview with the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel in February, Shields said another concussion would convince him to retire.

But when asked last week about the inherent risk of continuing his career, in spite of his long history of head injuries, Shields said he hasn’t thought much about the risks since deciding he would return to football. His family, he said, was fully supportive of his decision.

“I feel better now,” Shields said, “so it really doesn’t pass through my mind. I went through the testing and all that. I feel much better, and I’m trying to keep it that way. Hopefully it won’t happen, and I can be back on that field and make some plays.”

As the Packers’ top corner, he made plenty of plays in his first six seasons. Upon entering the league, Shields was known for his blazing 4.3 40-yard dash speed, and after his workout with the Rams, Snead marveled at the physical shape he was in.

For the Rams, the reward in signing Shields could be significant, given his price tag and the depth in front of him at the position. The Rams traded for former Kansas City Chiefs All-Pro cornerback Marcus Peters on Feb. 23. Then, on March 8, they traded for Aqib Talib and signed Shields. Peters and Talib are expected to become the starters at the outside corner positions.

While Shields battles for playing time in an overhauled Rams secondary, the risk in the Rams signing him to a one-year deal is minimal.

But for Shields himself, with five concussions by the age of 31, the potential risk in returning to the football field is substantial, whether he’s willing to confront it or not.

Psycho_X

Legend
Could be the perfect situation for him now. He only has to play a limited role as the probable dime CB. A lot less exposure to the game but still get to be an integral part of it. Knock on wood we never have to use him in a starting capacity because of injury. But if we can stay healthy in the backfield we'll be starting arguably two of the best CBs in the NFL on the outside, arguably the best nickel back CB, arguably the best dime back, and two of the best safeties in the league. Throw in Donald, Suh :), Brockers causing havoc at a QBs face.... I will be disappointed if we don't have 20+ interceptions with those players.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
https://www.dailynews.com/2018/03/1...ack-with-rams-in-spite-of-concussion-history/

Sam Shields waging comeback with Rams, in spite of concussion history
By RYAN KARTJE

gettyimages-501244716.jpg

Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

THOUSAND OAKS — For months, as his head throbbed with pain and his eyes struggled with bright lights, Sam Shields worried his once-promising NFL career might be over.

In 2015, Shields was the Green Bay Packers’ top cornerback, ranking among the league’s best at the position. But in December of that season, his helmet slammed into the turf, and Shields blacked out. Diagnosed with a concussion, the Packers shelved him for the remainder of the season. He returned in time for the 2016 season opener, but on a routine tackle, Shields suffered yet another concussion, his fifth recorded in six seasons.

This time, he walked off the field under his own power. But the fallout, in the weeks to come, was much worse.

The headaches were excruciating. “I was going through hell,” Shields recalls.

With lingering concerns about his football future, the Packers cut him in February, shortly after the season ended.

Since, the road back has been long for the one-time Pro Bowl corner. For nearly six months, he dealt with intermittent symptoms stemming from his concussions; some days, the throbbing pain was constant. But gradually the symptoms subsided, and after mulling for a full year whether to wage a comeback, after considering the serious risks he faced in returning, Shields decided this offseason that he wanted to play football again.

“Throughout that year I was out, I doubted a lot,” Shields says. “I was in and out most of the time, feeling good, feeling bad. It took me the whole year (to decide).”

All the while, as Shields rehabbed nearby at UCLA, the Rams closely monitored his status. In Shields, they saw a cornerback with Pro Bowl potential who could be signed at a significant bargain price. In six seasons, Shields had 18 interceptions — the same total as now-departed corner Trumaine Johnson.

“We’ve been knocking on the door, like, ‘Hey, let us know,’ ” general manager Les Snead said. “We wanted to be the first visit.”

gettyimages-501243416.jpg

Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images

It was the only visit Shields needed. The 31-year-old corner spent the better part of two days at the Rams’ facility — most of which, Snead says, was dedicated to medical testing. Shortly after, they signed him to a one-year contract reportedly worth a bit above $1 million in 2018. That’s more than $11 million less than he was set to make with the Packers in 2016, prior to his injury.

The Rams declined to make any medical staff available to discuss the specifics of how Shields was cleared. But when asked about the team’s process for clearing Shields, Snead expressed no concern over his medical status and reiterated that the veteran corner would be a full participant going forward.

“It’s probably not as black and white as, ‘Hey, this is a torn ACL,’ ” Snead said. “It’s fascinating where the science of studying the brain is at. Anytime you listen to these doctors that do that, you’re like, ‘Hey, they’re actually doing something real.’ I’m not sure what I’m doing, but they’re doing something real. The technology and advancement there gives you a pretty good idea of how to handle that situation.”

The reality, however, is that handling a player with a history of concussions is very much a case-by-case situation. Shields could be fine this season. Another head injury, however, could also leave him with long-lasting brain damage and symptoms far worse than those he suffered through last season.

In an interview with the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel in February, Shields said another concussion would convince him to retire.

But when asked last week about the inherent risk of continuing his career, in spite of his long history of head injuries, Shields said he hasn’t thought much about the risks since deciding he would return to football. His family, he said, was fully supportive of his decision.

“I feel better now,” Shields said, “so it really doesn’t pass through my mind. I went through the testing and all that. I feel much better, and I’m trying to keep it that way. Hopefully it won’t happen, and I can be back on that field and make some plays.”

As the Packers’ top corner, he made plenty of plays in his first six seasons. Upon entering the league, Shields was known for his blazing 4.3 40-yard dash speed, and after his workout with the Rams, Snead marveled at the physical shape he was in.

For the Rams, the reward in signing Shields could be significant, given his price tag and the depth in front of him at the position. The Rams traded for former Kansas City Chiefs All-Pro cornerback Marcus Peters on Feb. 23. Then, on March 8, they traded for Aqib Talib and signed Shields. Peters and Talib are expected to become the starters at the outside corner positions.

While Shields battles for playing time in an overhauled Rams secondary, the risk in the Rams signing him to a one-year deal is minimal.

But for Shields himself, with five concussions by the age of 31, the potential risk in returning to the football field is substantial, whether he’s willing to confront it or not.
I have to be honest, after reading this I wish he had stayed retired. I hope everything turns out ok but I fear he could suffer a very serious brain injury

Ram65

Legend
Yeah Sam is taking a risk. Came back here and read the first linked article. Hope he stays healthy and uses good form to tackle. He was very very good for the Packers.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I have to be honest, after reading this I wish he had stayed retired. I hope everything turns out ok but I fear he could suffer a very serious brain injury

Totally agree. Could never see the point in signing him in the first place. In cases like this the NFL should step in and negate a signing like this for the good of the player.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Totally agree. Could never see the point in signing him in the first place. In cases like this the NFL should step in and negate a signing like this for the good of the player.

I disagree. If the doctors clear him, the NFL has no business preventing him from playing. It's his life and choice.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I disagree. If the doctors clear him, the NFL has no business preventing him from playing. It's his life and choice.

Sometimes a person doesn't know what's best for him in the long-term. The amount of athletes in the NFL and in boxing who "stayed too long at the dance" is legion.

Concussions may end up being the doom of the NFL if the problem of players who have a long history of concussions and are still playing is not addressed and handled by them stepping in on their behalf.

I realize that it may sound overly controlling but paying off retired players who are now suffering the after effects of concussions is not the best answer to the problem.

Another head injury, however, could also leave him with long-lasting brain damage and symptoms far worse than those he suffered through last season.

I'm going to be nervous every time he steps on the field. If all goes well this season for Sam Shields then I'll agree that I was being overly cautious.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sometimes a person doesn't know what's best for him in the long-term. The amount of athletes in the NFL and in boxing who "stayed too long at the dance" is legion.

Gotta let people make their own decisions and live their lives. Some people are willing to take that risk and feel it's worth it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then they shouldn't sue the NFL after their careers are over.

Okay, Shields hasn't. The past players sued the NFL based on failure to warn grounds for hiding what it knew about concussions.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You said people, not Shields.

I'm done. Let's hope the man doesn't get his bell rung this season and turns out to be a productive member of the Rams.

Here's my post:
Gotta let people make their own decisions and live their lives. Some people are willing to take that risk and feel it's worth it.

It's clear that I am talking about current players who know the risks. You can't sue for failure to warn if you've been adequately warned. Today's players have been adequately warned (unless the NFL has managed to hide something currently unknown and even more damaging).

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
We took in an old, concussion prone player before when we signed Welker. This situation isn’t much different.

You're exactly right.
...I didn't like that signing either for the same reasons.
I would hate to see something terrible happen to this guy on our watch.