Rams sign CB Sam Shields

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It would be the Rams who did it to him? How so?
I'm pretty sure it's him on the field and his ultimate decision to play the game of football. I'm not sure why people keep on choosing to blame the organizations or the NFL because people have long term injuries in a very violent sport.

Take myself as an example, I train and teach Kickboxing/judo/jujitsu. I've been knocked out, broken limbs and torn tendons. I don't blame my coaches/doctors/ or training facilities for letting me train and fight. It's my choice and no one else's.

The thing between Martial Arts & & Boxing vs the head. Punch Drunk is real & back in the day of 15 rounds it Fucked a lot of people up in the brain because of it.
Back then men were men & didn’t think about the reunification. Just adding a view.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, and in MMA because of the smaller gloves, the head moves differently with strikes and the KOs are sometimes more a function of twisting the neck than being concussed. (hence, flash knockdowns)

Honestly, I think the bigger gloves are a big source of the problem.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
30 years old and 5 concussions later ... this is an example of why the NFL is a danger for guys who play too long. He was very good in his time, i'd rather he skipped one more year in he NFL and enjoy his retirement in relatively good health. jmo
Shiiiiit, some people were saying they believed that one cat who claimed he had around 2500 concussions (10 a game). If 5 in almost a decade is a lot then what is 10 a game? And what is considered low?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Shiiiiit, some people were saying they believed that one cat who claimed he had around 2500 concussions (10 a game). If 5 in almost a decade is a lot then what is 10 a game? And what is considered low?

Hard to say until the medical world does more research. Every person reacts differently also. In the news lately we have seen people die from a single punch (usually a sucker punch), while others make a career of getting their heads beaten. The NFL is particularly vulnerable as so many cases of brain injury have come forward these last several years, so either they need to do some serious self-policing, or eventually the government may feel obligated to step in. jmo.

wmc540

Pro Bowler

0 is considered low. Long term health impacts could be attributed to a single concussion.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
30 years old and 5 concussions later ... this is an example of why the NFL is a danger for guys who play too long. He was very good in his time, i'd rather he skipped one more year in he NFL and enjoy his retirement in relatively good health. jmo
Wonder what someone in the boxing profession has to say about 5 concussions

No disrespect, just a thought

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
This is going to be great... Or a disaster.

Really hope he doesn't get concussed again.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I got excited when I saw there were 2 pages about Sam Shields, our new Ram.

Oh, mma is cool too
Bros

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
If he's healthy...it's worth a try... if say he's probably replacing Troy Hill as our 4th CB.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rams-Sign-Cornerback-Sam-Shields-/9e8c6910-ffd5-4986-9a49-d436048be1dd

From the Rams official site. Sorry but the video wouldn't load. Click the link at the bottom.

The Rams have added a piece to their defense, signing cornerback Sam Shields.

Shields originally signed with the Packers as an undrafted free agent out of Miami in 2010, and became an impact player as a rookie intercepting a pair of passes in Green Bay’s NFC Championship victory over the Bears to send the team to Super Bowl XLV.

The cornerback went on to become one of the league’s better corners for the next five years, recording a total of 23 interceptions — including playoffs — from 2010-2015. But concussions have plagued Shields throughout his career. After suffering his fourth known concussion while making a tackle against the Jaguars in Week 1 of the 2016 season, Shields was eventually placed on injured reserve.

Shields did not play in the 2017 season, but ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported earlier this week that the cornerback was ready to resume his career.

He’s now signed with Los Angeles to contribute to the defending NFC West Champions.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good depth signing. Not much doubt that we will lose one of Tru (FA), NRC (FA) or Webster (by injury).

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I hope this doesn't mean that they're giving up on NRC. NRC was arguably our best cornerback this year.

Last edited: