Rams Sign CB Coty Sensabaugh To A Three-Year Deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Very happy we finally signed an outside player for depth. However, the only thing I remember about Sensabaugh is that I saw him get beat 3 times in one game last year on NFL Redzone I think against the Chargers but can't completely recall.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Why does anyone think another team signing another player for x amount has anything to do with the Rams who they sign and how much they offer? They are really unrelated. They play in a different league in a different system on a team with different needs and different salary cap restrictions.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Rams fans have the right to immediately judge free agent moves based on past alone. We've been burned way too many times to just "wait and see how they do".

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Regardless of what position Hayward plays in, Hayward is a far better player getting paid a good bit less.

Boykin has developed a good reputation as a slot guy. Well regarded by fans, advanced statistics, raw statistics (dude had a season with 6 interceptions).

It's not about the fit. I'm not saying the Rams should have signed Hayward. It's the fact that Hayward is a better player getting paid less than a player who is worse than him. Coty shouldn't be getting a bigger contract than guys like Hayward or Prince.

Boykin still unsigend and got traded for measly 6th round pick in league where you can never have enough corners. When he got traded he barely played. IMO doesn't add up to highly regarded guy by coaches in GMs thats what matters.

Its all about fit why add a guy pay him alot of money when he wont live up to the contract because he doesn't fit into what you do. That really worked out with Jared Cook. They are all making 5 million per year year. Thats the market the rams didn't overspend, but they found the best fit for the market price. Prince is always hurt only got a 1 year deal for 5 mil with Gaines coming off a serious injury and Tru never playing 16 games doesn't make alot of sense. Like I said Heyward is a zone corner why spend 5 mil a season on someone who you are setting up for failure? On the other hand their is experience with Coty as a man to corner who can play inside or outside.

lockdnram21

Legend
Rams add CB Sensabaugh to help replace Jenkins
Sensabaugh joins Rams after making 27 starts for Titans since 2012
By ARTHUR ARKUSH -- aarkush@profootballweekly.com
Published: March 14, 2016 — 5:04 p.m.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/20...b-sensabaugh-to-help-replace-jenkins/a6td08m/

The Rams have a hole to fill at cornerback after they placed the franchise tag on Trumaine Johnson, allowing Janoris Jenkins to set the corner market with the Giants.

Perhaps Monday's signing of former Titans coverman Coty Sensabaugh can help fill the void.

USA TODAY Sports' Tom Pelissero reported on Twitter that Sensabaugh has a three-year deal with the Rams. He was originally drafted in the fourth round in 2012 by the Titans, with whom he made 27 career starts including a career-high 15, with eight passes defensed and two interceptions a season ago.

The way we see it

That Tennessee parted ways with its former draft pick coming off a career year isn't cause for concern with Sensabaugh, as he entered the league under a different coaching staff and general manager.

We'll see if he can carve out a role in a Rams secondary undergoing changes, but still well stocked with Johnson, EJ Gaines and LaMarcus Joyner at corner. At the very least, Sensabaugh will be asked to contribute on special teams, where he has 11 career tackles. In a best-case scenario, he'll turn into the latest Gregg Williams disciple to sign another eye-popping deal a few years down the road.
Reading this thread has been entertaining, to say the least. Lol.

Such wild swings of opinions and emotion!

I think @X said it best. Why not wait and see how the kid looks in camp?

FWIW, here are my thoughts...

1) Coty could be excellent injury insurance in case Gaines' health is shaky, at the very least.

2) The $5 million price tag is normal in today's market for a 2nd tier CB. Especially one that can play man.

3) It's quite possible that their strategy involves a double move here. Coty to nickel and Joyner to FS. Joyner has better instincts than McLeod had. If so, this could be a twofer. Any still needed further depth can be added in the latter part of the draft and/or via UDFA and then developed by a stellar secondary development staff.

4) With all due respect, do we REALLY want to be questioning Fisher, GW, and Cecil on secondary matters? Lol.

And here's the bright side. They saved the $20 million combined JJ/McLeod salaries, less the $5 million Coty salary. Not too bad, if you ask me. Particularly when considering that Gaines just might prove to be an upgrade over Jenkins and Joyner might prove to be an upgrade over McLeod.

I'm serious.
U can't be serious.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams fans have the right to immediately judge free agent moves based on past alone. We've been burned way too many times to just "wait and see how they do".
7b71t2yfoxymxj4zg.jpg

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm worried about Gaines. Ugh. I hope this signing is for insurance about us not knowing how he'll do coming back and not cause we DO know something about his return from injury.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Agree with offensive free agent moves.

Defense ... not so much. The only one there that never really worked out was Finnegan ... and even that did for a while, until he got old overnight. But his contract was constructed in such a way that we could let him go and not end up with a bunch of dead money, so no long term harm there.

Besides Finnegan, our biggest defensive FA signings during the Fisher era have been:

1) Fairley: One year deal, he played well, no long term cap ramifications, and most of us wish we could get him back for the same role he played last year.
2) Akeem Ayers: Two year deal, he played decent last year, including a huge play for a TD that helped us sweep Seattle
3) William Hayes: Do I *even* need to elaborate here?

Our staff is good at evaluating defensive players, and good at fitting former misfits to our scheme (see Barron, Mark). They are also great at developing DB's. They get the benefit of the doubt here.

Last edited:

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Since Fisher arrived who have we missed on the defensive side of the ball? A 5th rounder in McGee ( got derailed by injuries) and an aging Cortland Finnegan who fell off after a decent first year, but did that really matter since they drafted cornerstone Corners in Tru and JJ the same year we signed Finnegan. I will trust their defensive judgement any day offense thats another story.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Sensabaugh, 27, is a former fourth-round pick of the Titans back in 2012.

giphy.gif

a former fourth-round pick of the Titans back in 2012.

Titans

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Time to plug that Tenn to Rams pipeline and look at what other teams have.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I felt that the promotion of Cecil and addition of Denard Robinson as DB coach brought improved play from the Rams DBs. Maybe he can work some magic with Coty.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I personally like this move. I've been critical of the FO, but this at least addressed a position of need depth wise...

We are now in good/great shape on defense:

CBs: TruJo/Gaines/Joyner/Sensabaugh/Roberson
S: TJ, Mo, Cody Davis, Bryant
LBs: Barron, Tree, Ayers, Lynch, Hager
DL: Quinn, Brockers, Donald, Hayes, Sims, Westbrook, Longacre, Worthington, Trinca-Pasat

That's close to a full opening day roster on defense...and Fairley is still out there....and might add a S.

My biggest gripe was having needs on defense and relying on so many injured players coming back. We are now a LB and S away from re-establishing our depth, and those are picks that can be made in the draft if necessary. We can target offense with our premium picks. I'm happy.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry but I'll take Gregg Williams endorsement, which this clearly was, over any fans critique.