Rams Sign CB Coty Sensabaugh To A Three-Year Deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Reading this thread has been entertaining, to say the least. Lol.

Such wild swings of opinions and emotion!

I think @X said it best. Why not wait and see how the kid looks in camp?

FWIW, here are my thoughts...

1) Coty could be excellent injury insurance in case Gaines' health is shaky, at the very least.

2) The $5 million price tag is normal in today's market for a 2nd tier CB. Especially one that can play man.

3) It's quite possible that their strategy involves a double move here. Coty to nickel and Joyner to FS. Joyner has better instincts than McLeod had. If so, this could be a twofer. Any still needed further depth can be added in the latter part of the draft and/or via UDFA and then developed by a stellar secondary development staff.

4) With all due respect, do we REALLY want to be questioning Fisher, GW, and Cecil on secondary matters? Lol.

And here's the bright side. They saved the $20 million combined JJ/McLeod salaries, less the $5 million Coty salary. Not too bad, if you ask me. Particularly when considering that Gaines just might prove to be an upgrade over Jenkins and Joyner might prove to be an upgrade over McLeod.

I'm serious.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Thanks, just was wondering I have never seen him play or don't remember anything bad or good...Thanks again.

No problem. Like I said though, I haven't seen all of his games or anything and I can't claim to have focused on him a whole lot. A lot of times for corners you may only notice them when they mess up. You'd kind of have to ask a Titans fan to get a real solid opinion.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Reading this thread has been entertaining, to say the least. Lol.

Such wild swings of opinions and emotion!

I think @X said it best. Why not wait and see how the kid looks in camp?

FWIW, here are my thoughts...

1) Coty could be excellent injury insurance in case Gaines' health is shaky, at the very least.

2) The $5 million price tag is normal in today's market for a 2nd tier CB. Especially one that can play man.

3) It's quite possible that their strategy involves a double move here. Coty to nickel and Joyner to FS. Joyner has better instincts than McLeod had. If so, this could be a twofer. Any still needed further depth can be added in the latter part of the draft and/or via UDFA and then developed by a stellar secondary development staff.

4) With all due respect, do we REALLY want to be questioning Fisher, GW, and Cecil on secondary matters? Lol.

And here's the bright side. They saved the $20 million combined JJ/McLeod salaries, less the $5 million Coty salary. Not too bad, if you ask me. Particularly when considering that Gaines just might prove to be an upgrade over Jenkins and Joyner might prove to be an upgrade over McLeod.

I'm serious.

I think you have to look at it this way.

We couldn't afford Jenkins (Trumaine) AND the future contracts of Brockers, Ogletree, etc.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
No problem. Like I said though, I haven't seen all of his games or anything and I can't claim to have focused on him a whole lot. A lot of times for corners you may only notice them when they mess up. You'd kind of have to ask a Titans fan to get a real solid opinion.

If you're looking for a good review, you're not going to want to do that when it comes to Coty...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If you're looking for a good review, you're not going to want to do that when it comes to Coty...
He will have 3 pick 6's, this year, and you guys will be like...."I knew it!"

:pillowfight:

Ram65

Legend
Here's a novel idea.
Let's see how he does with the Rams before we render any judgement (myself included).

giphy.gif

That makes sense but is it as much fun?:argue:

I didn't know anything about this guy until I read this thread. Looks like he had interest from a number of teams. Young veteran that plays man to man. One less need at CB and could give Rams an opportunity to move someone to FS. We will have to wait and see where everyone lines up. This signing opens up other opportunities in the draft.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's a novel idea.
Let's see how he does with the Rams before we render any judgement (myself included).

giphy.gif

Why do we have to make a 'big' move? This team was close without a functional offense. We could have paid Osweiler $78M for a big move, but that's ridiculously out of whack. Could have gotten Malik Jackson or Vernon for $85M instead of signing Hayes. Or maybe Marvin Jones for $40M (lol)? Or pay Jenkins $62M instead of putting the finishing touches on a corner of similar athletic ability for $15M? I expect our big move to come in the draft, tbh. I'll wait on that instead of blowing our wad in free agency for players that really aren't all that stupendous.

Woah let me get this straight. You're asking these arm chair and basement GM's to be honest and realistic? You mean they shouldn't just jump on a message board and bash every free agent signing because he wasn't the name ESPN or Mel Kiper was reporting should go to the Rams. I come here to get some good entertainment and laughs from the know it all crowd that is wrong far far far more than they're right!

@RAMpage28 Dang dude you're acting like its your money the team is spending. Let's see how he does before you start bashing the guy.

LOL Nah where's the fun in that? It's so much better to look cool by bashing a guy they know nothing about :D

So just for my own edification...How many games have you seen Sensabaugh play?

Irrelevant for the most part even though he says he's seen some Titan games. It isn't one of the hyped free agents so the GM crowd on the board is pissed. Especially when the deal is 3 years and a $3 million base per year with a total of just over $10 million in other incentives. But it's better if we get our panties in a bunch before we know the details :D

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
We also mustn't forget, that our corners have it pretty easy. Most opposing offenses have an average of around 2 seconds to get the ball out. QB's aren't standing back for 3-4 seconds or more, picking are corners apart.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well, I wish the Rams had one of their Quarterbacks!
mandm.png

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
We also mustn't forget, that our corners have it pretty easy. Most opposing offenses have an average of around 2 seconds to get the ball out. QB's aren't standing back for 3-4 seconds or more, picking are corners apart.

We definitely have a better pass rush than the Titans, so yeah, that should certainly help him out.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

So they signed Cassel?
Does that mean Mettenberger is in play? He'd be the guy is want coming in if we are talking vet QB

RamBill

Legend
Q&A With Titans Writer On CB Coty Sensabaugh
By 3k

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/3...-free-agency-tennessee-titans-coty-sensabaugh

Reports surfaced in recent hours that the Los Angeles Rams would be signing former Tennessee Titans Coty Sensabaugh, the fourth-year corner out of Clemson. With that effort underway, I linked up with Jimmy Morris of Music City Miracles, the SB Nation community for Tennessee Titans fans, to see what he and Titans fans thought of Sensabaugh.

How would you define Sensabaugh's play? What kind of cornerback is he?

He is a nickel corner at best - and he honestly isn't very good at that. He has a lot of trouble locating the football.

What did he do to rise up the CB depth chart ladder throughout his time since the 2012 NFL Draft?

The term "smartest kid in summer school" applies here. The Titans have been terrible at corner for the last few years. Sensabaugh was the best of a bad group at times.

Why didn't you guys re-sign him? Are Titans fans all that upset about losing him?

The Titans didn't re-sign him because he just wasn't very good. He is a depth guy at best, and the Titans think they have found guys who can better fill that role.

Clearly the bottom line for the Titans is that Sensabaugh never established himself as a vital part of their long-term plans. The question is whether or not that was because of Sensabaugh's individual performances or something more indicative of a system issue with the Titans defense.

Clearly, the Rams think the issues plaguing Sensabaugh are related to the latter...and that they can help clean those up.

Thanks to Jimmy for the time.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
We definitely have a better pass rush than the Titans, so yeah, that should certainly help him out.

Not to mention the secondary is better as well. Probably will cover weaker WRs. I know the Titans got Dick LeBeau on that staff, but I think Cecil and Gregg are a help as well.

Gonna need some help if this is to work-out.