Rams Sign C John Sullivan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like mutual funds though, past performance is not necessarily an indicator of future results ...

haha.

individual results may vary from the extraordinary results shown in this infomercial.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
"Cross training" on its face sounds like a great idea but the truth is that every O lineman has a spot that he will excel at moreso than the other spots.
Donnal as a Center?
Havenstein as a Guard?

I just don't see it being their primary spots.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope we have a rookie who can step in. After all the injuries, I don't think Sullivan has much left in the tank. But what do I know. McVay was around him all last year.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
This did one thing at most/ Thats remove Rhaney from the final cut this season. We have competition and are not totally forced to use our best pick or even consider a move up for a specific player to fill a desperate need. The Best part I see is his personal knowledge of McVay's system , yet Kromer will even have new things for Sullivan to pick up as I'm sure things will be different in style then what the Skins did totally.

A veteran OC to teach whatever skills as I think the effort to see if we can crosstrain another player from our depth is not a dead idea. Not thrilled with any players efforts from our teams OL last season. A veterans attitude and inside tells knowledge are a bonus and needed for all involved and most hopefully the center Kromer has hand picked to be his guy for the future in Horns.

Obviously a full MRI with Gadolinium was done and evaluated at no lack of expense and time and I'll bet in contract talks too. Will be due to extending his health as back injuries with Barrett Jones and as we've seen with Romo behind the best OL in the league. It only takes one play one hit awkwardly and you're done. We had a major failure in Wells too as we've been here before. I only think this keeps other teams from knowing how desperate we may actually be. Someone else I'm sure is very needy on interior OL.

Only wins can make me happy now after all we have seen here. I'm not a real fan of this move but I believe its better than Mangold is all. Groy at a higher price would have made me much happier knowing what Kromer likes and what we need. Our rookie will be in that mold. Sadly I don't think we had other options NOW as a possible trade now or during draft or after final cuts,(is very possible) even as the Browns are very stacked in the center spot. Could come from anywhere. Would'nt be surprised to see a very solid draft pick and UDFA's brought in for utmost competition.

I'm just happy after studying game film McVay will not tolerate anymore time at the level of play we had last season period. Can't. Jared's future is too important. I'll have to see Sullivan play for us myself and hear how he is doing in the weightroom before I will feel better. Its still wide open and a long distance before we see who starts for us opening day. Sorry if I sound negative at all. I'm a show me person forever now. Even though it could be a really GREAT thing. If so then Congrats to everyone in our family.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
A sound response Merlin but I'm not on board with Plan C of Donnal Or Wichmann and the whole crossover/cross training thing for the starting center in 2017.

That makes me chuckle every time read a post of someone thinking the future center was already on the roster but playing a different position and is in the mix for the coming season.

I can go along with the drafting a rookie center thing but being a voice of logic, no way is the answer of Wichmann or Donnal doing the crossover thing ever going to pan out. Why would Groy and Sullivan be coveted if Wich and Donnal were realistically in those plans for McVay and Kromer?

I don't buy that scenario and never have since the first time a read a post that suggested it.

Just being honest and I might be wrong....

:confused:
Zl_e0Sbv_XKpkIJrU728YXM9TJXFwcMD-6supMzPRkKhS7C_aE8kqaGSzV7HrabFMjoRGA=s114
Can you help me out on your total lack of faith that the Rams OL cadre is absent any good center prospects? I really interested on why your so solid in this position?

Here's some of my thoughts: Most starting NFL centers have played other OL positions. Most all OG's & OC's face the same DL'ers. There is very little difference in the basis fundamentals in blocking (pass or run) on the interior OL'ers. But we must remind ourselves Kromer loves girth. But never the less there are differences some are listed below:

* first be good at snapping the ball consistently
* make demanding blocks after snapping the ball, having fast enough reflexes & good balance as soon as you snap
* requires more quickness & with a zone or motion blocking scheme, value quickness & agility
* usually more compact where being low to the ground helps their center of gravity when vs DT & NT's.

A quick review of some of the Ram prospects you mentioned Cody Wichmann has played OLG & ORG in the NFL. In College he played both OG posts & RT post. So Cody has shown the ability to play 3 different OL positions. Cody did win the starting position both his previous seasons (here's the bad)but did fall prey to back to back high ankle sprains 2015 & 2016 & was slow to heal or play through pain. One thing we do know Cody has the power to enable him to block one-on-one with the nose tackle but he can be confused.

Lets go to Andrew Donnal, AD has lined up & play in actual NFL games @ four OL posts. That a case for serious versatility there. AD won the starting ORG post over the later half of the 2016 season. He also did a good job in relief for 3 quarters @ LT. AD has shown he is a better natural knee benders than Cody. In addition AD has improved to get out of his stance quickly & able to slide-step to get in position to trap or pull. AD also proved he improve his hand placement to remain inside & on the breastplate of the DL'er.

Another possible prospect would be Jamon Brown. His phone booth size Girth is the size Kromer would like for a NFL center 6-4 325 plus pounds. Brown started & played both OT posts in college for 4 seasons. Since his arrival in the NFL he has swung with regularity from both starting OG posts. Once gain sure looks to have demonstrated the ability to learn different OL post for 6 yrs. JB has had issues to consistently control DL'ers at the point of attack, &maintain leverage, control, & balance throughout his block similar to GRob's big issues.

Another sleeper might even be OG David Arkin. Since none of these prospects will need to make any of the OL calls whats the real big difference other than they will have to learn to center the ball & then resume blocking DL'ers just like they did playing in other positions. Kromer must have seen something with these Ram OL'ers that has set this movement in motion. Please tell me where you think I am wrong.

Last edited:

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
After the draft and maybe a trade we may actually (IF) we can avoid the usual and annual injuries . Who knows ? With coach Kromer ...:sneaky::whistle::X3:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Mangold hasn't been signed by any other C needy team yet so ... that might just tell us that everyone wants the "name" .. but the player is not the same as he once was. Otherwise IMHO, he would have been snatched up by now
I heard he's going to Baltimore for a looksie...

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Can you help me out on your total lack of faith that the Rams OL cadre is absent any good center prospects? I really interested on why your so solid in this position?

Here's some of my thoughts: Most starting NFL centers have played other OL positions. Most all OG's & OC's face the same DL'ers. There is very little difference in the basis fundamentals in blocking (pass or run) on the interior OL'ers. But we must remind ourselves Kromer loves girth. But never the less there are differences some are listed below:

* first be good at snapping the ball consistently
* make demanding blocks after snapping the ball, having fast enough reflexes & good balance as soon as you snap
* requires more quickness & with a zone or motion blocking scheme, value quickness & agility
* usually more compact where being low to the ground helps their center of gravity when vs DT & NT's.

A quick review of some of the Ram prospects you mentioned Cody Wichmann has played OLG & ORG in the NFL. In College he played both OG posts & RT post. So Cody has shown the ability to play 3 different OL positions. Cody did win the starting position both his previous seasons (here's the bad)but did fall prey to back to back high ankle sprains 2015 & 2016 & was slow to heal or play through pain. One thing we do know Cody has the power to enable him to block one-on-one with the nose tackle but he can be confused.

Lets go to Andrew Donnal, AD has lined up & play in actual NFL games @ four OL posts. That a case for serious versatility there. AD won the starting ORG post over the later half of the 2016 season. He also did a good job in relief for 3 quarters @ LT. AD has shown he is a better natural knee benders than Cody. In addition AD has improved to get out of his stance quickly & able to slide-step to get in position to trap or pull. AD also proved he improve his hand placement to remain inside & on the breastplate of the DL'er.

Another possible prospect would be Jamon Brown. His phone booth size Girth is the size Kromer would like for a NFL center 6-4 325 plus pounds. Brown started & played both OT posts in college for 4 seasons. Since his arrival in the NFL he has swung with regularity from both starting OG posts. Once gain sure looks to have demonstrated the ability to learn different OL post for 6 yrs. JB has had issues to consistently control DL'ers at the point of attack, &maintain leverage, control, & balance throughout his block similar to GRob's big issues.

Another sleeper might even be OG David Arkin. Since none of these prospects will need to make any of the OL calls whats the real big difference other than they will have to learn to center the ball & then resume blocking DL'ers just like they did playing in other positions. Kromer must have seen something with these Ram OL'ers that has set this movement in motion. Please tell me where you think I am wrong.
We definitely have some young options at oline.
I'm curious to see what a new system and coaching can get out of these young men.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Donnal has actually only played in the NFL in three different positions;
RG,LG and RT.

He has looked bad at all three positions as well.

Wichmann has only looked half decent as a Guard.
His slow footwork makes me think he's a Center possibility.
He actually took some snaps there in Camp last year.

TexasRam

Legend
To test the rebuilt back he gets to start out spring training trying to block Aaron Donald.

Good
Luck old man.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To test the rebuilt back he gets to start out spring training trying to block Aaron Donald.

Good
Luck old man.
Nah AD will be going against Whitworth. Sullivan gets whoever wins our DT battle.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Donnal has actually only played in the NFL in three different positions;
RG,LG and RT.

He has looked bad at all three positions as well.

Wichmann has only looked half decent as a Guard.
His slow footwork makes me think he's a Center possibility.
He actually took some snaps there in Camp last year.
Didn't Donnal play LT when GRob was benched and Saffold got injured?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Didn't Donnal play LT when GRob was benched and Saffold got injured?
I thought Robinson came off the bench but maybe I'm wrong.

Then all would be totally overwhelmed it Left Tackle IMO.
Even worse than Robinson.

As far as Arkin is concerned; is a fringe NFL guy to even make a roster, is 30 years old and physically weak.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That is correct and quite frankly didn't look half bad doing it and had not played LT since High School.

I went back and watched the game on Coach's Film. We gave Donnal a lot of help. I wasn't impressed with his performance. We've seen much worse at LT, but I wouldn't want him playing there unless it was a total emergency.