Rams Sign C John Sullivan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Best part I see is his personal knowledge of McVay's system , yet Kromer will even have new things for Sullivan to pick up as I'm sure things will be different in style then what the Skins did totally.

It'll be different, but it may not be that different. Kromer came up under Bill Callahan, and Bill Callahan is the Redskins OL Coach.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Donnal has actually only played in the NFL in three different positions;
RG,LG and RT.

He has looked bad at all three positions as well.

Wichmann has only looked half decent as a Guard.
His slow footwork makes me think he's a Center possibility.
He actually took some snaps there in Camp last year.

I have a much different opinion of Donnal than you & have posted that AD was by far the most improve Ram OL'er in 2016 season. If you want evidence & in detail let me know I ready to dish it out if requested.

Now back to your post that corrected my original post.....here's the facts.....When GRob was benched the first time (he was actually benched twice) Saffold started in place of GRob. I think that it was in the first quarter in the Saints game Saffold broke his hand & missed the rest of that game (had surgery & missed the following weeks game too)So who do you think replace Saffold it was not GRob for he was not even in New Orleans ? Can you say Andrew Donnal who took over the LT post for Saffold & thought under the circumstance AD held up much better than the rest of the Rams OL, But the right side of the OL turned in one of the worse of the 2016 season. Cody Wichmann sealed his doom that game as a starter the rest of the season.

During the 2016 season Andrew Donnal played in the offense @ RG, LT & RT. AD started @ RT & RG in 2016. AD gave an awful performance during his rookie season 2015 as a starter @ LG.Get back with me if you believe that my facts are inaccurate.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I thought Robinson came off the bench but maybe I'm wrong.

Then all would be totally overwhelmed it Left Tackle IMO.
Even worse than Robinson.

As far as Arkin is concerned; is a fringe NFL guy to even make a roster, is 30 years old and physically weak.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/david-arkin?id=2495112
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/6...view-og-david-arkin-fights-for-permanent-spot
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1246923

David Arkin is a WWC as you stated but it was David Arkin who after TC & pre season made the first 2016 regular season 53 player roster. He was Paul Boudreau's final 9th man. David Arkin was later released from the master roster & signed to the PS until later in the season. Arkin played RG in pre season backing up Brown & saw a good amount of action @ RG & some LG.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Ibut I wouldn't want him playing there unless it was a total emergency.

I agree, however, I expected worse and it was the first time he played the position in a very long time. Again the Coaching staff outsmarted themselves, benching GROB for Saffold and not having Pace Murphy active led them to put in Donnal who had not played LT since High School and that in itself underscores one of the reasons Jeff Fisher in back in Montana.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
It could be that I have a higher standard in what a good NFL lineman looks like.

We know for sure that these guys were under Coached under Boudreau.

I would like nothing better than Donnal and Wichmann to improve under Kromer.

AND IT SHOULD. :)

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Am I now correct in thinking that we don't have any "holes" on the team. What I mean is that we could put a starting team out tomorrow without any missing personnel?

Depends on if Javon Brown can take a step up and keep glass house Saffold from the field. Robinson I don't foresee as a starter to be honest. He just isn't able to process the game fast enough when fresh let alone when fatigue sets in during the game. I think Robinson is the swing tackle off the bench to be honest. I really hope Saffold & Robinson get beat out early in training camp. That would tell me good things are truly about to happen on the offense side of the ball.

My hope on the starting OL:

LT: Whitworth
LG: Brown (Anybody other than glass house Saffold)
OC: Sullivan to start the season but rookie to finish on merit
RG: Wichmann or surprise draft pick. Not sold on Donnal either.
RT: Havenstein

Swing OT: Robinson
Gamed bench: Murphy / Donnal / Rookie OC / GRob

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Depends on if Javon Brown can take a step up and keep glass house Saffold from the field. Robinson I don't foresee as a starter to be honest. He just isn't able to process the game fast enough when fresh let alone when fatigue sets in during the game. I think Robinson is the swing tackle off the bench to be honest. I really hope Saffold & Robinson get beat out early in training camp. That would tell me good things are truly about to happen on the offense side of the ball.

I had / have high hopes from Jamon Brown - he's a big chunk of a player to get around - I hope that Kromer will be able to work his magic on him. So would you try and trade Saffold @PressureD41

Limey

Rookie
Another great move , center was a big concern since goff had pressure up the middle on almost every anal. Very happy they went vet over draft as well.
Blimey, no wonder he looked jittery at times :)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

You & I are fairly close on this post. JS is a solid reserve OC I would strongly prefer that a younger full health OL'er would rise to secure the OC post rather early in 2017. But until then JS should be OK.Your GRob comments are on target it would be the best I would hope for. Brown should be the starting LG.

Andrew Donnal would have replaced Havenstein @ RT by game wk 11 if injuries has not taken out Rams 3 OG's. AD might surprise us in TC & pre season @ RT clearly bumping GRob & Havenstein to the bench. AD improved big in 2016 I would think that he will continue this trend with Kromer. AD understands what the coaches want on the field. AD should profit big from Kromer's knowledge due to AD's smarts. AD is learning fast how to play with good technique. AD can pass protect good too. AD offers up good versatility too.All depend if he is healed from hip surgery.Don't sleep on AD. WE all sold him short last season. Most of ROD had AD cut with the first wave of pre season cuts. AD ended up the last third of the 2016 season as a starter!

Put aside the injury history of Saffold, his skills & talents are way above average as a starter in the NFL @ 4 positions. If RS was to line up between veterans Whitworth & a Sullivan who know their assignments I of the opinion RS would have his best season ever. It would take some serious vast improvement from many of these Rams signed OL'ers to beat RS out. As you know I believe RS is better @ OT than OG but not my too much. If Kromer desires knowledgeable willy veteran pass protectors on the outside edges of his OL to keep his QB from being molested & if RS is competing with GRob, Havenstein & the rest of the Ram OL'ers for the starting RT post ....Saffold would win it BIG!

Last edited:

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
If Saffold's Surgically repaired shoulders are finally corrected. He might actually last a while. In that case he is one of the best OL on the Rams. But he has a history of injuries. So planning on having a backup is imperative.