Rams should give Scott Linehan a second chance

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seriously, if Scottie comes back, I'm gone.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Bulger only played 8 games that year a 7th round rookie got a few starts. That 7th round rookie had a nice career, but Linehan got rid of him.

And the year before that they went 8-8, backed into a WC spot and won a playoff game. Not exactly a good team. I also highly doubt Fitzpatrick would've amounted to do much with the Rams. No QB really could thrive with the porous OL that Bulger had in front of him from 2007-2009. Matt Ryan would've been a bust if he was picked at 2 over Chris Long, IMO.

Anyways, I think Linehan might get another chance in the league, but it shouldn't be with the Rams. He's part of the Rams why have been in the subpar state that they've been in for the past decade plus.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't want him back but he had a better season, 8-8 than Linehan,Spags or Fisher
Bulger and SJ had career seasons in 2006 under his watch.
I could see a team take a 2nd chance on him, just not the Rams

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I could see a team take a 2nd chance on him, just not the Rams

I don't see it, he was even turned down at his alma mater the Univeristy of Idaho...He's just not a leader and for the life of me I don't understand how the Rams hired him in the first place. BTW the Rams back then interviewed Ron Rivera & Mike Zimmer. Rams had two good candidates and selected the wrong one!

Linehan is milquetoast and non inspirational the players never took him seriously. He can game plan and call plays, but that part with the Rams he wasn't very good at either. In his first season the Rams after the Rams lost 5 in a row, he turned the play calling over to Offensive Coordinator Greg Olson and then the Rams went on a run and won 4 out of 6 of the remaining games.

The next year after getting off to an 0-8 start, Linehan took back over the play calling duties, but that did nothing as he was just over his head and the position was too big for him. I'm posting this, he will never be hired again as a Head Coach unless it's on a interim basis, the guy has not had even a sniff of an interview since, why do you think that is? It's not happening, it's not, he's not Head Coach material.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see it, he was even turned down at his alma mater the Univeristy of Idaho...He's just not a leader and for the life of me I don't understand how the Rams hired him in the first place. BTW the Rams back then interviewed Ron Rivera & Mike Zimmer. Rams had two good candidates and selected the wrong one!

Linehan is milquetoast and non inspirational the players never took him seriously. He can game plan and call plays, but that part with the Rams he wasn't very good at either. In his first season the Rams after the Rams lost 5 in a row, he turned the play calling over to Offensive Coordinator Greg Olson and then the Rams went on a run and won 4 out of 6 of the remaining games.

The next year after getting off to an 0-8 start, Linehan took back over the play calling duties, but that did nothing as he was just over his head and the position was too big for him. I'm posting this, he will never be hired again as a Head Coach unless it's on a interim basis, the guy has not had even a sniff of an interview since, why do you think that is? It's not happening, it's not, he's not Head Coach material.
He still won 8 games.
Again, I'm not calling him a success as Rams HC in any way shape or form. But his success as an OC since he was shown the door is impressive. And he may not have been a leader, but the Rams team also had some prmia donnas on it who were disrespectful as well, namely Torry "I want to play for the Panthers" Holt
I don't want him for the Rams but he seems quite deserved of a HC spot if he wants one

FRO

Legend
He won 8 games with Holt, Bruce, Jackson, Pace, Bulger. Good job. The team won 8 games the year previous with the starting QB and HC missing multiple games.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
George Custer won a few battles too.
That's just silly
If you're in the camp that HC who have had disastrous 1st tenures don't deserve another shot, then fine.
But if guys like McDaniels and Haley deserve another shot, so does Linehan

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The team won 8 games the year previous with the starting QB and HC missing multiple games.
No they didn't, they won 6 games the year before, 8 the year prior
And the "backup" Jaime Martin was 4-1 while Bulger "the starter" was 2-6

FRO

Legend
Spags was by faaaaaaaaar worse imo.
Record wise, yes. Coaching wise no. Linehan inherited a team with good talent. Spags inherited a team with almost no talent. The lockout in 2011 and the injury bug really tanked his last season. That being said he wasn't a good HC.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Record wise, yes. Coaching wise no. Linehan inherited a team with good talent. Spags inherited a team with almost no talent. The lockout in 2011 and the injury bug really tanked his last season. That being said he wasn't a good HC.
Yeah, people claim Martz couldn't draft, but that last draft of his was solid. Barron was OK (he started for quite a while, blocked decently, just had false starts out the arse), Bartell was good, Atogwe was good, 'Cogs was good (and run out of town by a subsequent front office), Hodges was good, Fitz was good and Hedgecock was the man.

Look at the draft just one year later, under Linehan - Tye Hill, Klopfenstein, Wroten, Byrd, Hagans, a whole bunch of 'ugh.'

Next year, Carriker, Leonard, Wade, Fry, Ryan, Shackleford... ugh.

2008, they didn't shank the #2 pick (Long), but after that was Avery, Greco (who they let walk, boo), King, Burton, and Linehan was canned.

The 3 years under Linehan gutted the Rams' talent base immensely.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Both Linehan and Spagnuolo were not good leaders.

But I agree with your comparison of the two situations.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's just silly
If you're in the camp that HC who have had disastrous 1st tenures don't deserve another shot, then fine.
But if guys like McDaniels and Haley deserve another shot, so does Linehan
He absolutely does, but not with the Rams sorry.