Rams should give Scott Linehan a second chance

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Yeah, people claim Martz couldn't draft, but that last draft of his was solid. Barron was OK (he started for quite a while, blocked decently, just had false starts out the arse), Bartell was good, Atogwe was good, 'Cogs was good (and run out of town by a subsequent front office), Hodges was good, Fitz was good and Hedgecock was the man.

Look at the draft just one year later, under Linehan - Tye Hill, Klopfenstein, Wroten, Byrd, Hagans, a whole bunch of 'ugh.'

Next year, Carriker, Leonard, Wade, Fry, Ryan, Shackleford... ugh.

2008, they didn't shank the #2 pick (Long), but after that was Avery, Greco (who they let walk, boo), King, Burton, and Linehan was canned.

The 3 years under Linehan gutted the Rams' talent base immensely.

What about Martz having 3 1st round picks, in which 1 guy turned out to be an above average starter(Archuleta), another guy who turned out to be a solid starter in the NFL, just not with the Rams(Pickett), and a bust(Lewis)?

Or drafting some guy named Robert Thomas in the 1st in 2002?

Jimmy Kennedy?

The 2005 and maybe the 2004 drafts might have been Martz's best draft, but man, looking back, some of those drafts were fugly.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
What about Martz having 3 1st round picks, in which 1 guy turned out to be an above average starter(Archuleta), another guy who turned out to be a solid starter in the NFL, just not with the Rams(Pickett), and a bust(Lewis)?

Jimmy Kennedy?

The 2005 and maybe the 2004 drafts might have been Martz's best draft, but man, looking back, some of those drafts were fugly.
They were, yeah, my point when this comes up is usually that he got better as he went along and managed to get some good talent.

Even in his bad drafts, he churned out decent starters. Kennedy was a bad pick, but Tinoisamoa, Curtis and Groce were all OK to good starters. The 2001 draft, Pickett was a good pick (who unfortunately flourished with the Pack, not the Rams), Archuleta was a good SS until his injuries caught up to him, Polley was pretty good, Manumaleuna was pretty good, and Butler ended up being a very solid starting CB for many years.

Can't defend the '02 draft. I mean, Fisher was a starting CB for a few years, and Massey was a good long-snapper, but Crouch and Bellisari combine to sink any redeeming features.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have emphatically stated numerous times that I have no desire to have him return to the Rams in any way, shape or form.
Yes... what I see you saying is... he may deserve another chance (elsewhere)... and I agree.

What do we care if he f's up another franchise? :LOL:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes... what I see you saying is... he may deserve another chance (elsewhere)... and I agree.

What do we care if he f's up another franchise? :LOL:
Yup, and like Spags, at least he left the Rams in a class fashion. Didn't throw stones at the organization like some other coach we know....

And yeah, screw up another franchise is fine by me, especially if the Rams get to play them....

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Jimmy Kennedy?

Go back and look at the Martz drafts. I have many, many times.

Unpopular as my view is... I believe his poor drafting started the downward spiral that sent us in the funk we've been in for decades now.

Sadly, no one since Martz left has been able to get us out of that funk. Maybe the next guy.

I want to be very clear about this: I appreciate what Martz brought to us in terms of being an integral part of our only SB win and getting us to the playoffs after that.

However, his poor drafts and pig-headedness in our loss to the Patsies temper my view of the man.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yup, and like Spags, at least he left the Rams in a class fashion. Didn't throw stones at the organization like some other coach we know....

And yeah, screw up another franchise is fine by me, especially if the Rams get to play them....
I'd suggest Arizona, perhaps?
:LOL:;):sneaky:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good call. I mean look at what San Francisco hiring that disaster of a coach in Chip Kelly has done for us.
Oh, wait a minute....
Whattya mean? We DO have a better record than them :ROFLMAO::cautious::sick:

Lesson

Oh, really?
Go back and look at the Martz drafts. I have many, many times.

Unpopular as my view is... I believe his poor drafting started the downward spiral that sent us in the funk we've been in for decades now.

Sadly, no one since Martz left has been able to get us out of that funk. Maybe the next guy.

I want to be very clear about this: I appreciate what Martz brought to us in terms of being an integral part of our only SB win and getting us to the playoffs after that.

However, his poor drafts and pig-headedness in our loss to the Patsies temper my view of the man.

I believe I've posted somewhere here a few years ago about the samething regarding Martz's drafting.

Martz as a coach=Good
Martz as a GM/Personnel Evaluator=Not Good

Martz's tenure started the Rams decline. Linehan's drafting exacerbated it while Spags' and Devaney's tenured did something wells, but nothing to bring the Rams out of their slump. Same with Fisher/Snead.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Martz as a coach=Good
Martz as a GM/Personnel Evaluator=Not Good

Martz's tenure started the Rams decline.

Linehan's drafting exacerbated it...

... while Spags' and Devaney's tenured did some things well, but nothing to bring the Rams out of their slump. Same with Fisher/Snead.

Boy, you took my feelings on it and summarized it extremely well!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This is how low the Rams fan base has gotten? What's next, "Spags did a bang-up job as DC of the Giants this season, why not give him another chance?"

200.gif

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is how low the Rams fan base has gotten? What's next, "Spags did a bang-up job as DC of the Giants this season, why not give him another chance?"

200.gif
Actually, I was thinking bring back Marmie as the new HC.
:hiding:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He was the worst coach they've had in the last 20 years by a mile. Horrible HC.

How ?? He was working with JZ & had deal with SJ39 holdout. The offensive line had serious injuries.

He did a poor job in the draft. That was a major fault & what he hired Vitt ?? Who was his D.C. ?? The defense was bad & Linehan took over as OC from Olsen. He learned the hard way. He has only got better as a coach.

FRO

Legend
How ?? He was working with JZ & had deal with SJ39 holdout. The offensive line had serious injuries.

He did a poor job in the draft. That was a major fault & what he hired Vitt ?? Who was his D.C. ?? The defense was bad & Linehan took over as OC from Olsen. He learned the hard way. He has only got better as a coach.
Vitt was a Martz guy. Haslett was Linehan's guy. Linehan is a great offensive coordinator, great with Xs and Os, good play caller. He was a horrible leader of men. Those guys didn't follow him at all. His poor personnel decisions paved the way to the worst 5 year stretch in the history of football. I would never hire him as HC.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Vitt was a Martz guy. Haslett was Linehan's guy. Linehan is a great offensive coordinator, great with Xs and Os, good play caller. He was a horrible leader of men. Those guys didn't follow him at all. His poor personnel decisions paved the way to the worst 5 year stretch in the history of football. I would never hire him as HC.

That's right Hasslet was a total backstaber. He really wanted the HC jobs over team victorys.

Vitt has been solid in New Orleans as a LB coach .
--thanks for the help. My memory has gone,but tough times doesn't make it easy to reflect.

-- your right about Linehan losing the control of the ship. Like I said though, he has learned a lot .Maybe he is a lifer as a OC. Just liked how the offense played. Haslett did him no favors.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Spags, Linehan, McDaniels have all gone on to some success. I believe in second chances...Just would rather have some new blood...Look to college HC's with NFL backgrounds first, then pro coordinators. JMO