Rams Reportedly Pursuing Terrelle Pryor/Signed by Jets

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I wouldn't spend another dollar on a WR.

Give Reynolds the chance. He has star potential.

We lost SW and you're ready to say that we are fine at WR? Like it or not SW was a TD machine last year and Reynolds didn't do much of anything even tho he had a three or four game window in the middle of the season to show his value. I didn't see him flash once. I'm not saying he's gonna be a flop but based on what we saw last year you can't go into this season thinking we are fine at his position. That's how coaches get fired.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I really liked Reynolds as a prospect. I won't be surprised if he steps up in a big way. Just look what he did in the SEC:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/josh-reynolds-1.html

He's a playmaker.

Played in a prolific offense at A&M, so I am always skeptical as to how the spread guys translate to NFL systems.

With that, I want to see him get his chance. If it doesn’t work out, a training camp trade is always a possibility.

What we don’t know is, are they prepping JR for the X?

I bet they are getting him ready, communicating that he needs to step up to his potential.

Would love to hear that he’s training hard with a Woods or another dedicated, focused Pro.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We lost SW and you're ready to say that we are fine at WR? Like it onot SW was a TD machine last year and Reynolds didn't do much of anything even tho he had a three or four game window in the middle of the season to show his value. I didn't see him flash once. I'm not saying he's gonna be a flop but based on what we saw last year you can't go into this season thinking we are fine at his position. That's how coaches get fired.

In the three game window where Woods was out Reynolds had 8 catches and 1 touchdown on 14 targets. Same 3 games Watkins had 10 receptions and 3 touchdowns on 20 targets. Watkins was better - but if Reynolds improves at all his second season the gap won't be that enormous. Add in Kupp likely improving, and the Rams are hoping/expecting some improvement in their TE play too. If the right value comes along in a WR - great. But there are other places the Rams need resources too. Ignoring the team as a whole to focus on one non-weak spot is also how coaches get fired.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
There is much more to being a deep threat than speed. But I agree if the Rams look to add a WR, they should be looking for a home run hitter.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Pryor came in as a QB, but the dude has all the intangibles at WRer
train

I think he has the tangibles, not so sure on the intangibles. Someone that young and talented yet somehow Cleveland let him walk and it took the Skins a 3/4 of a year to bench him and let him walk.

Someone may catch lightning in a bottle and get him motivated and playing team football. Someone will try, that’s for sure. Not sure I want that someone to be us.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would like to see them bring Pryor in and have Goff try him on for size, just to see how well they might work together! JMO

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
NO no no. Pryor is terrible. The Redskins found that out already; why is this a discussion?? Not being able to catch is a pretty big red flag for a WR....

Ranma

Rookie
Since I mentioned my preference of Josh Rosen over Jared Goff in Jets trade-up in the draft thread, I might as well voice a couple of other likely unpopular opinions just to let everyone know where I stand, even though nobody asked.

While I don't think Terrelle Pryor is a sure thing or anything, I think he's capable enough to replicate the numbers Sammy Watkins provided last season, in part, because of the different expectations for each respective player and Watkins' inability to fully realize his potential during his lone season as a Ram. Watkins is obviously more talented than Pryor but Pryor should be talented enough to provide the disappointing numbers that were produced with respect to Watkins. Basically, if Pryor did for us what Watkins gave us, it'd be considered a success despite being a letdown on the part of Watkins. It just depends on Pryor's asking price which will determine whether he's worth signing.

Also, I was higher on JuJu Smith-Schuster in last year's draft than Cooper Kupp. However, I liked both WR prospects going into the draft and I'm certainly glad that we have Kupp on the team, but I can't help but feel that Smith-Schuster would have been more effective for the Rams.

Last edited:

jap

Legend
We lost SW and you're ready to say that we are fine at WR? Like it or not SW was a TD machine last year and Reynolds didn't do much of anything even tho he had a three or four game window in the middle of the season to show his value. I didn't see him flash once. I'm not saying he's gonna be a flop but based on what we saw last year you can't go into this season thinking we are fine at his position. That's how coaches get fired.

Remember that rookie WRs (and most other positional rookies) start out slow because they lack the conditioning and techniques of seasoned pros. That first pro off-season often produces a dramatic increase in performance from Year 1 to Year 2. Josh now knows what it feels like to get hit hard! by NFL DBs, and he will adjust by muscling up to better absorb hits and diminish chances for injury. He can also improve technique for better reception security and to avoid being stripped by opportunistic defenders. He has already demonstrated his willingness to absorb big hits on a couple of occasions, and that bodes well for his future.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also, I was higher on JuJu Smith-Schuster in last year's draft than Cooper Kupp. However, I liked both WR prospects going into the draft and I'm certainly glad that we have Kupp on the team, but I can't help but feel that Smith-Schuster would have been more effective for the Rams.

Juju was already drafted when we drafted Kupp. He wasn't an option at that point.

EDIT: But it seems like you're into the Draft. You should come join us in the Draft forum! (y)

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Juju was already drafted when we drafted Kupp. He wasn't an option at that point.

EDIT: But it seems like you're into the Draft. You should come join us in the Draft forum! (y)
I belive he was there when we drafted Everett.
Not that I'm complaining. I love Kupp.
Jury is still out on Everett

Ranma

Rookie

I am indeed a bit of a draftnik and will stop by. Thanks. I forgot that we just missed out on Smith-Schuster but I was actually hoping to snag him with the second-round pick used to select Gerald Everett at the time. In hindsight, maybe it probably would have been better to hold out for Ju Ju with the third-rounder by trading up since he almost made it to the pick used to select Kupp, but I get the sense that McVay preferred Kupp over Ju Ju just like he prioritized tight end in the draft in settling for Everett when he missed out on his top target of Evan Engram.

Hopefully, Everett will start living up to his draft position and expectations because Smith-Schuster already has a head start on him in terms of success.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hopefully, Everett will start living up to his draft position and expectations because Smith-Schuster already has a head start on him in terms of success.

Well, Smith-Schuster is more comparable to Kupp. And based on what they did as rookies, I think we came out of it just fine. Each guy played a playoff game, and their numbers counting the playoffs were:
Juju
15 games
61 receptions
922 yards
8 TDs

Coop
16 games
70 receptions
938 yards
6 TDs

No real point in worrying about what we didn't get when what we got played as well as Kupp has. It's certainly better than comparing Donnie Avery and DeSean Jackson. ;)

I just hope Everett pans out

I guess we'll see. I think it's worth patience. McVay knows TEs, and Everett was always a raw kid coming from a small school. What McVay liked about him is that he's an intelligent kid with truly special athleticism for the position.