Rams Reportedly Pursuing Terrelle Pryor/Signed by Jets

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What about Jordan Matthews? He had a down year last year due to injury/poor passing situation in Buffalo - but solid for Phi his first 3 years. Much more like Robert Woods than Sammy Watkins - which may be a good thing.
No speed and drops a lot of passes.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What about Jordan Matthews? He had a down year last year due to injury/poor passing situation in Buffalo - but solid for Phi his first 3 years. Much more like Robert Woods than Sammy Watkins - which may be a good thing.

He has two left feet for hands.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No speed and drops a lot of passes.

He does drop passes, but he has speed. He ran a 4.46 40 at the Combine.

hmmmm...unless his injury is serious - he has produced

G GS Rec Yds Avg Lng TD
2017 Buffalo Bills 10 7 25 282 11.3 47 1
2016 Philadelphia Eagles 14 13 73 804 11.0 54 3
2015 Philadelphia Eagles 16 12 85 997 11.7 78T 8
2014 Philadelphia Eagles 16 10 67 872 13.0 44T 8
TOTAL 250 2,955 11.8 78 20

FWIW, I like Jordan Matthews, and I'd give him a long look. But it doesn't seem like the Rams are looking for his skill-set.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He does drop passes, but he has speed. He ran a 4.46 40 at the Combine.
Saw a lot of his play in Philly and his draft profile fit his career there well:

Weaknesses
Could stand to bulk up his frame. Adequate line release. Fairly linear. Not a quick-twitch athlete. Does not show elite explosion to separate vertically. Lets some throws into his body and is not immune to concentration drops. Limited creativity and elusiveness after the catch. Can be moody and has some diva in him.

Draft Projection
Rounds 2-3

Bottom Line
Matthews is a tall, narrow-framed, West Coast possession receiver”

We don’t need another possession receiver

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Saw a lot of his play in Philly and his draft profile fit his career there well:

Weaknesses
Could stand to bulk up his frame. Adequate line release. Fairly linear. Not a quick-twitch athlete. Does not show elite explosion to separate vertically. Lets some throws into his body and is not immune to concentration drops. Limited creativity and elusiveness after the catch. Can be moody and has some diva in him.

Draft Projection
Rounds 2-3

Bottom Line
Matthews is a tall, narrow-framed, West Coast possession receiver”

We don’t need another possession receiver

The problem is that he plays the same spot as Kupp. But I wouldn't characterize him as a possession WR. He does a lot of his damage on crossing routes because he has wheels. He's not a big deep threat, though. But again, he's a good football player. If we didn't have Kupp, I'd be advocating for him.

dang

Legend
I don't think too many Rams fans were excited by the Robert Woods signing last year. It seemed a concession pick when premier options fell through. Well here we are again - premier options are gone and Matthews might be had at a very reasonable price. Not seeing a lot of contenders for Matthews services. Just wondering if FO considers it an option. On a negative note - he would not fill the red zone target receiver that we need.

nighttrain

Legend
maybe here why Rams didn't worry about losing SW, Snead and McVay drafted Josh Reynolds 117th pick in 2017
Here’s NFL.com’s strengths on Reynolds:

Very long, angular frame. Outstanding high school triple jumper and high jumper will dominate combine explosion drills. Vertical threat who can open his hips and out-stride a cornerback down the field. As good as it gets as a ball tracker with a center fielder's ability to judge trajectory and distance. Stacks cornerbacks on his hip and keeps them there. Has access to a second gear when the ball is in the air. Routes feature little wasted motion. Possesses superior ball skills. Plus hand-eye coordination and holds his ground in contested catches. Can climbs way up the ladder and use his length to turn 50/50 balls into 80/20 his way. Consistent red-zone threat. Wins up-and-over, with back shoulder fades and with inside release to slant. Thin but ultra-competitive and extremely tough. Will work the middle and does not fear incoming traffic. Gets after his blocks on the perimeter and meets aggression with aggression as blocker.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The problem is that he plays the same spot as Kupp. But I wouldn't characterize him as a possession WR. He does a lot of his damage on crossing routes because he has wheels. He's not a big deep threat, though. But again, he's a good football player. If we didn't have Kupp, I'd be advocating for him.
I agree completely.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
maybe here why Rams didn't worry about losing SW, Snead and McVay drafted Josh Reynolds 117th pick in 2017

Very long, angular frame. Outstanding high school triple jumper and high jumper will dominate combine explosion drills. Vertical threat who can open his hips and out-stride a cornerback down the field. As good as it gets as a ball tracker with a center fielder's ability to judge trajectory and distance. Stacks cornerbacks on his hip and keeps them there. Has access to a second gear when the ball is in the air. Routes feature little wasted motion. Possesses superior ball skills. Plus hand-eye coordination and holds his ground in contested catches. Can climbs way up the ladder and use his length to turn 50/50 balls into 80/20 his way. Consistent red-zone threat. Wins up-and-over, with back shoulder fades and with inside release to slant. Thin but ultra-competitive and extremely tough. Will work the middle and does not fear incoming traffic. Gets after his blocks on the perimeter and meets aggression with aggression as blocker.

I really liked Reynolds as a prospect. I won't be surprised if he steps up in a big way. Just look what he did in the SEC:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/josh-reynolds-1.html

He's a playmaker.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg

Reading this write up makes me feel better about our receiver situation. If he has good football intelligence I'll bet on our coaches helping him become a quality starter at the very least.

jap

Legend
I don't think too many Rams fans were excited by the Robert Woods signing last year. It seemed a concession pick when premier options fell through. Well here we are again - premier options are gone and Matthews might be had at a very reasonable price. Not seeing a lot of contenders for Matthews services. Just wondering if FO considers it an option. On a negative note - he would not fill the red zone target receiver that we need.

I was excited! I wanted the Horns to draft Robert asa rookie. I don't really follow college football; yet I was tracking Robert on & off during his stay at USC. He just seemed a lot like my favorite Horn receiver, Isaac Bruce, in that he was a complete receiver in virtually every aspect of the game.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Grant or Matthews makes some sense, to be honest. Both are intriguing to me.

We are going to need to fill some roster gaps with this type of signing.

Draft feels to be going mostly defense.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd expect a later pick on a WR to fill a roster hole. With the usual proviso that if a serious bargain appears -either in free agency or in the draft - I'd hope and expect them to jump on it.