Rams reportedly interested in Foles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because Foles is also coming off a season ending injury and Bradford is the better QB(imo).

Why would you trade for Foles then cut Bradford? It would leave you in the same situation you were in last year...if Foles goes down, who do you have?

You could franchise Foles in that situation and let Bradford walk.
Franchise a QB who like you said has had some injury issues and hasnt started 16 games?
If we are trading for Foles, he should be the starter
there's no way Sam agrees to a restructure after Foles is added so they may as well let him play out the pre-season and cut him before the season starts then either re-sign him or let him walk

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Basically because it's insurance, Foles is also a question mark. What do we gain from going from one guy who's ability to produce is under question to trading for another?

Might as well keep them and let them duke it out and get the best we can from both of them, healthy competition doesn't do anybody wrong.
Except you'll have to sign one of them long term

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
2nd round pick seems to be the going rate for a good QB, and while Foles had a down season last year not to mention injury the shortage of the position around the league, the poor FA class, and the poor draft class will compensate. Supply and demand, plain and simple. So IMO if the Rams really are a front runner the offer has a good chance of being a 2nd round pick. I can't imagine them beating out other teams for a solid QB like Foles with a 3rd round pick.

What I hate about the whole thing is Kelly maximizes his offensive talent. So it is entirely possible he uses that pick on Hundley or Petty and with his ability to keep things simple will still put up a playoff caliber offense. Then of course the Rams can't sign Foles or Bradford and both are lost in FA. Depressing line of thought, I know, but it just shows how risky the pursuit of Foles is and how desperate the Rams are to have talent at the position.

All that said, if the Rams pull the trigger I'm not gonna pi$$ and moan about it. I'm just gonna be instantly worried whether they have the ability to restack the OL properly at that point with whatever picks they have remaining.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then we sign the one who performed best to the long term and let the other guy go. 2016 will be a better market and year for back ups.
I wouldnt be comfortable signing either guy long term unless one of them plays 16 games. Something that neither guy has a habit of doing

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I'd trade mid round pick for the 2013 Foles, a sixth or seventh for the 2014 Foles.
No way I'd swap first rounders for him. That would be a epic fail.
If they do make the trade which I think will happen. I see Bradford gone or take a huge pay cut.

The money might not matter that much to him if he gets to chose where he wants to play.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Franchise a QB who like you said has had some injury issues and hasnt started 16 games?
If we are trading for Foles, he should be the starter
there's no way Sam agrees to a restructure after Foles is added so they may as well let him play out the pre-season and cut him before the season starts then either re-sign him or let him walk

Yep. That would be one of the biggest benefits of the franchise tag. You just said that Foles played well over 8-10 games after Bradford went down. Rather than having to make a decision on a risky long term deal or letting him walk, you get the one year to see if he can repeat that performance and play all 16 games. Sounds ideal to me. Win-win. No long term risk but you also get to hold onto him in case he's your guy.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Getting Foles into the Building would be huge.

One thing not mentioned by anyone is that Sam may not be ready to go in OTAs. So having a true #1 QB to start the off-season would be huge (as opposed to Hill or Davis or Keenum or some other backup) for the offense under the new OC. Plus, more reps for new guy.

Foles was lights out for the Eagles in 2013 and one throw he can make is hitting a guy in stride.

The competition would be great and knowing that we could still go to the playoffs if Sam went down presuming Foles didn't win the job is actually exciting.

I figure they upped the offer to swap firsts and get Foles. For the Eagles, moving from 10 to 6 won't cost NEARLY as much and may be more palatable to the Jets as well.

The benefit for the Rams is getting the best available QB for a trade down where they will almost certainly get one of their targeted OL and that QB may help them win now. It should cost them picks per se nor quality of pick as several OL are likely rated about the same in that range.

iced

Yes, I would take Cooper or White at 10 overall if they were there over the OL in this draft, I never said I wouldn't. All things being equal though, if we could pick up a legit starting QB, trade back and still get a good player at a position of more need I don't see how that possibly couldn't be the preferable option.

Because pegging yourself into a position for need is how BPA players fall. I don't think anyone would take back the Aaron Donald pick - and that's my point. There's a big drop off in talent between the two, and I think we'd be better served getting a talented player like White and grabbing another lineman in the 2nd or 3rd.

I dont agree with that. Whilst I agree our offence has been rather stagnent, i'm not putting that down to a lack of talent at WR.
We've basically gone 22 games without a starting QB. That has a huge factor in it.

- Quick showed real promise at the start of last year. He was having a break out season (with austin davis throwing to him, not exactly Aaron Rodgers)
- Britt was a constant deep threat and him and quick make a great pair of physical and fast Wideouts who can block in the run game.
- Bailey is Mr reliable and should be our starting slot receiver. Never drops a ball, runs great routes. Our 3rd down WR.
- Tavon wasn't used correctly by schotty at all. You can't give a Formula 1 car to a truck driver and expect the same results. Tavon needs to up his game granted but running him between the tackles is quite frankly a stupid play. He changes games when used correctly

Im not saying we couldn't use an odel beckham type talent, but to say WR is a lacking position is slightly unfair I feel. I'd much rather fix the OL.

Quick is the only one I could say might be a solution to the problem - *might* .. he started off with a blast then absolutely tore the crap out of his shoulder - worst case scenario if he doesn't heal, we have another studly type of receiver in the making to take his place. Best case scenario, we have 2 stud's out wide that can be difference makers.

Britt? Occasional deep threat with some pretty inconsistent hands. Do you see him claiming that #1 spot? Cause I sure don't.

There isn't anyone in the receiver corps that has shown me they're a potential answer like a Nuke Hopkins, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, ODB, etc.

And until we have a receiver that breaks 1,000 yards, I don't see how there's anyway you can even joke about the position being fixed. The o-line helps keep the QB upright; the great receivers help the ball get out of the QB's hands quicker.

jjab360

Legend
I'd trade mid round pick for the 2013 Foles, a sixth or seventh for the 2014 Foles.
No way I'd swap first rounders for him. That would be a epic fail.
If they do make the trade which I think will happen. I see Bradford gone or take a huge pay cut.

The money might not matter that much to him if he gets to chose where he wants to play.
You'd trade a mid round pick for the guy who threw 27 TDs to 2 Int, 64% CMP, and 9.1 YPA? C'mon now, let's be real here...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You'd trade a mid round pick for the guy who threw 27 TDs to 2 Int, 64% CMP, and 9.1 YPA? C'mon now, let's be real here...

Josh McCown threw 13 TDs to 1 Int and had a 66% CMP, 8.2 YPA, and a 109.0 QB Rating. Didn't make me believe he was a good QB.

Just saying that stats don't always accurately reflect play.

That all said, I'd have given up more than a mid round pick for 2013 Foles(would have been willing to give up a 2nd). Although, I still didn't believe he was anywhere near as good as his numbers.

jjab360

Legend
Because pegging yourself into a position for need is how BPA players fall. I don't think anyone would take back the Aaron Donald pick - and that's my point. There's a big drop off in talent between the two, and I think we'd be better served getting a talented player like White and grabbing another lineman in the 2nd or 3rd.
I don't think you're reading me right, because I'm not doing that.. Cooper or White would be the BPA at 10 (though they probably won't be there) and I would take them there even though we have a bigger need on the OL. Now seperate that statement from this next one.

If we could trade back, grab a starting QB and probably another draft pick, and still get a talented player at 20, I would strongly prefer that option.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Yeah a third for that guy in his walk year. Considering how he built on that season with a Hill & Davis like showing in 2014. And missed part of the season.
It's a what have you done lately league.

I guess some people want to trade Bradford off his offensive rookie of year season. That's not going to happen.

iced

I don't think you're reading me right, because I'm not doing that.. Cooper or White would be the BPA at 10 (though they probably won't be there) and I would take them there even though we have a bigger need on the OL. Now seperate that statement from this next one.

If we could trade back, grab a starting QB and probably another draft pick, and still get a talented player at 20, I would strongly prefer that option.

no I'm reading you right.

Cooper @ 10 w/ a lineman in the 2nd/3rd than Foles, Lineman @20

jjab360

Legend
no I'm reading you right.

Cooper @ 10 w/ a lineman in the 2nd/3rd than Foles, Lineman @20
Interesting take. I think highly of Cooper (who won't be there at 10 anyway), but not that highly..