Rams / Raiders Preseason Game 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And conversely some are hoping Bortles fails so they can talk about how big of a mistake we made moving on from Mannion. Why else would somebody bring up former players. It’s something that happens every week during the season even preseason.
True enough. I said as soon as we signed Bortles that it made sense. I think Bortles is an upgrade. Or is it that I HOPE Bortles is an upgrade.

I simply didn't see the terrible play from Mannion that is being talked about. I hope the best for Sean unless he helps a team like the queens. I don't care where a player played his college ball. The queens are a team I am good with tanking each and every year. No offense to @Raptorman . I just grew up hating the queens and that has never changed.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True enough. I said as soon as we signed Bortles that it made sense. I think Bortles is an upgrade. Or is it that I HOPE Bortles is an upgrade.

I simply didn't see the terrible play from Mannion that is being talked about. I hope the best for Sean unless he helps a team like the queens. I don't care where a player played his college ball. The queens are a team I am good with tanking each and every year. No offense to @Raptorman . I just grew up hating the queens and that has never changed.
Yeah it’s pretty crazy how much people bring up former players. Greg Robinson still gets brought up. How many times did we hear about trading Jamon Brown away? Btw people still don’t understand why no matter how many times it’s been explained. TruJo and Jenkins as well as Ogletree. Hell people brought up Quinn every week last year. It won’t ever stop unfortunately.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's gonna be hard for Bortles to settle in when he's only getting "starter" snaps, i.e. 2 series. Whereas Mannion I am sure got more snaps. But either way you can't compare guys directly vs each other let alone in preseason where there is so much deviation on who is lined up with them.

Also it surprises me every year that people try to "grade" results off of unit production in preseason. It's a glorified scrimmage and it's for the coaches to get film to sort the depth guys (at least how the Rams approach it). So when I see people tweeting about Rams only scoring 3 points it makes me crazy lol.

Ram65

Legend
Yeah it’s pretty crazy how much people bring up former players. Greg Robinson still gets brought up. How many times did we hear about trading Jamon Brown away? Btw people still don’t understand why no matter how many times it’s been explained. TruJo and Jenkins as well as Ogletree. Hell people brought up Quinn every week last year. It won’t ever stop unfortunately.

I was thinking of bringing up Barron in another thread.:love:

I've moved on from the others a long time ago.

Mannion never got much of an opportunity with the ones. He got better as the Whiner game progressed when he started. Bortles does add the run dimension which is good in a backup QB. Bortles is cheap for a year.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Knowing not only your own assignments--but those around you--has got to be a huge advantage. I think there might even be a similar philosophy with our receiver corps.

Well, with only two active backups normally on the OL, it's pretty much essential for them to be able to handle multiple positions. Gotta find out who can handle what now, before somebody goes down in the first quarter.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While I agree with moving on, I happen to be watching the queens game right now and on the TD series I just watched, Mannion had a dropped ball (a little high on the throw but a combination of good timing on defense and a ball that could have been caught) and hit everything else he threw while being harassed on all but one pass.

The team has moved on from Mannion and that's fine. But I don't see how he looked awful like some want to profess.

I didn't get to watch Bortles play this weekend so I can't compare. But it seems some are invested in hoping Mannion stinks up the joint. I didn't see that.

That's really too bad. I've never been a fan of Mannion's skillset, but I have nothing against the guy. We've moved on. He's moved on. I don't see a reason why any Rams fan should want him run out of the NFL. Let him do his thing.

But I don't care to see people bicker over Mannion and Bortles. Bortles is a Ram. Mannion is not. Both are backup QBs, and neither team wants either guy on the field outside of mop-up duty. That's my only point here. I didn't watch Mannion play. Frankly, I barely watched the Rams play.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I wish Mannion well... but I’m hardly paying attention.

Bortles is our guy now. Hope he plays as much as Mannion did last year!

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I know cross-training is Kromer's "thing," but even this seems pretty radical. Looks like they wanted to use the first preseason game for this purpose (and to let Waldren call the O, etc.). Is this level of cross-training unique to Kromer, or do other teams do it regularly also?
I was thinking the same thing on both counts.
How do they expect a player to settle down into a position on the line if you constantly move them around?
It seems their heads would be spinning about where to even line up after the play is called much less who they're supposed to block on the play.

I would have thought that camp would be the place where you figure out each players best position physically and then use the preseason games to work them and get tape on them at that position to confirm what their best position is.

And I think the play-calling is also something you should work on in the preseason to make sure you're up to peak form game 1.
JMHO.

Last edited:

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I was thinking the same thing on both counts.
How do they expect a player to settle down into a position on the line if you constantly move them around?
It seems their heads would be spinning about where to even line up after the play is called much less who they're supposed to block on the play.

I would have thought that camp would be the place where you figure out each players best position physically and then use the preseason games to work them and get tape on them at that position to confirm what their best position is.

And I think the play-calling is also something you should work on in the preseason to make sure you're up to peak form game 1.
JMHO.

I like the idea personally--having a bigger picture understanding of the "intent" of plays as McVay puts it, better understanding their roles, being more game ready to fill in at multiple positions, and it seems like preseason game 1 is the ideal place to throw them into that experience. But at the same time I can see how it would be difficult, confusing, etc. for the young players--and apparently it was.

It just seems like Kromer took it to a whole new level this year, but I don't remember last year's preseason enough to know.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David

No offense is taken. We all have that one team we can't stand, mine is the Rams.......er no sorry, the Cowboys. I can't stand the Cowboys, their fans and their "Americas' team" crap. As for Mannion, I didn't see terrible play this past week. Although, I thought Sloter looked better playing the position. Mannion looked like he was playing in slow motion. But that could just be me.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Mannion's footwork looked like he literally had his feet in cement.

He is very lucky that he was even signed by another team.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I like the idea personally--having a bigger picture understanding of the "intent" of plays as McVay puts it, better understanding their roles, being more game ready to fill in at multiple positions, and it seems like preseason game 1 is the ideal place to throw them into that experience. But at the same time I can see how it would be difficult, confusing, etc. for the young players--and apparently it was.

It just seems like Kromer took it to a whole new level this year, but I don't remember last year's preseason enough to know.
Yeah I'm not sweating the first couple of preseason games but they have to look a little more polished by the third and fourth or I'm going to start worrying about our backups a tad myself.

Same with the play calling but McVay said he was going to let Waldron call the plays throughout the preseason - that seems a little iffy in particular.