Rams / Raiders Preseason Game 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I was impressed with Rapp, Henderson, Hodge, Thomas and Nearly.

Disappointed in Kiser and Young

Very disappointed in SJD, Gaines and Demby. I was drinking the koolaid on these 3 but they have a lot of work to do. Considering the level of competition these 3 should have shined like Rapp and Hodge but they looked very average. I'm now worried about our NT and Oline depth.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
IMO from an Offensive Line Perspective, you are looking for guys that showcase they belong and the stage is not that big for them. Granted the Rams did not have one starter in this game, but these guys are major depth guys and with Neary showcasing the most, let's hope they will get better with more preseason games under their belt because they just played the worst defensive line they are going to see all preseason.

Den I think when you're a rookie in your first NFL game and when your coach is moving you all over the joint on every series, well, it ain't gonna be perfect. I'm also not worried about the false starts, as that typically happens more often when a player is trying too hard, thrown into a situation he's not sure about, or outmatched etc. Raiders had some really good linemen in that game too, btw, well into it, like Westbrooks for example who is more than capable of giving a rook a whoopin.

So for me I partition the rooks a bit separately from the other depth guys. After rewatching quite a bit of that game wrt the rooks I think both did a good job of knowing the scheme (they seemed to consistently know their assignments), and where they struggled were the areas Kromer is going to work them.

Evans for example specifically struggled with speed rush, where the edge would just run around him, so that kick slide of his will be something they work and for now he'll probably end up as a primary OG type. He looked pretty solid in run action, didn't dominate but also didn't whiff on blocks or get trucked. Edwards was more comfortable on the edge, so I can see why they said he was ahead thus far. He did some good things in both run and pass and for that reason I think he is going to factor in as primary depth for us this season.

The veteran depth OL are where there is much more concern.

And since you mentioned Demby he struggled a bit and it seemed he was uncomfortable on the edge. How that affects his standing on the OL depth chart as far as whether he's the swing guy, it's still too early to tell. I think he took a hit last night. And btw I don't care about the Center mistakes, as he's not going to be anything other than emergency option there if he makes the roster. The concern with him is his lack of push at OG where he is in competition to be the first guy off the bench.

At this point it looks to me like Edwards has a chance to be what Boom was last season... First OL off the bench. But I don't want to get all crazy from one game when there are 3x more for these guys to settle in.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very disappointed in SJD, Gaines and Demby. I was drinking the koolaid on these 3 but they have a lot of work to do. Considering the level of competition these 3 should have shined like Rapp and Hodge but they looked very average. I'm now worried about our NT and Oline depth.

Gaines actually played very well. He wasn't in there very much, but he was disruptive with penetration and usually beat whoever was in front of him.

Fatboy

Rookie
I wish I could have watched the game on TV, at the game it's really hard to single guys out or even figure out who they are . We didn't look good at all ! jmho -- the Fatboy

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Gaines actually played very well. He wasn't in there very much, but he was disruptive with penetration and usually beat whoever was in front of him.

I like the play were he caused a holding call but considering the level of competition I was not impressed. I guess it could be worse if he looked like SJD did.

nighttrain

Legend
I would guess most of the LT in the league, at least the best ones, were high picks. And by high picks I mean first or second round. Guards are probably all over the place. Centers I would think are probably the latest selections when averaged.

If the Rams do manage to find a LT out of non-high picks, that's a huge deal.
mostly right on, but even a blink hog finds an acorn now and then
train

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True, you do not need to bash to make a point but from what I saw from Mannion, he sucked. Blake also struggled but Bortles is leap and bounds over Mannion.
Everyone’s observations are different and I’ll agree that Bortles is better than Mannion more than anything he has got the experience

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
disappointed in SJD, Gaines and Demby.
They hardly had any game tape at all on these guys.
I pretty much guarantee that the coaches are looking at the tape as we speak.
They are going to find the flaws in these guys game and they're going to coach these guys up.

How far up is the question.;)

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
McVay uses pre-season to teach his guys how to move on and respond after a loss, since those coaching opportunities are so rare in the regular season...

Now I get it--the OL were in on it. "Don't forget to commit penalties, miss assignments, and generally get blown past and manhandled."

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like the play were he caused a holding call but considering the level of competition I was not impressed. I guess it could be worse if he looked like SJD did.

He got quick penetration on multiple snaps. The penalty was probably his best snap though I agree. As to level of competition agreed as well. But I mean he's a 4th round pick so playing 2nd half preseason game is appropriate for him too tbh.

Looks to me like we are 2 deep at NT basically. What was interesting was he got more pressure per snap than most guys they were cycling in there but they had him on obvious run downs only he really didn't get as many looks as I expected.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
They hardly had any game tape at all on these guys.
I pretty much guarantee that the coaches are looking at the tape as we speak.
They are going to find the flaws in these guys game and they're going to coach these guys up.

How far up is the question.;)
yes that is the biggest question. Thank god we have Brockers who can shift inside if needed. Just hope to see better play from the players I mentioned in the next game.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
He got quick penetration on multiple snaps. The penalty was probably his best snap though I agree. As to level of competition agreed as well. But I mean he's a 4th round pick so playing 2nd half preseason game is appropriate for him too tbh.

Looks to me like we are 2 deep at NT basically. What was interesting was he got more pressure per snap than most guys they were cycling in there but they had him on obvious run downs only he really didn't get as many looks as I expected.

you are totally right about Gaines and him being a 4th round pick. I mentioned that I drank the koolaid on both him and SJD. I guess I figured as 2 down linemen they could get the job done and they might still get there. I guess my expectations were to high. There is still plenty of time to turn things around though.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Linebackers had some good things too btw...

Patrick (57) made some nice plays and also hustled his @$$ off on special teams.

Durham (96) was all over the place and had a sack and TFL.

Carraway (42) had a sack, TFL and some decent edge work.

Reeder (95) played a ton of snaps, hustled up and down the field, and had 5 tackles.

I think Hager and Kiser are both JAGs tbh. Neither of those guys really stood out so we might see a surprise at ILB on the final depth chart; I think it might be more open than discussed.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
At this point it looks to me like Edwards has a chance to be what Boom was last season... First OL off the bench. But I don't want to get all crazy from one game when there are 3x more for these guys to settle in.

Here is the deal....Noteboom looked like he belonged from the first preseason snap and beyond. Never panicked, always in control, even when beaten (which was not often) staying with the block and now I expect the rest to be that way.

My concern on Edwards was the push, but his work on was to get stronger as I look for Edwards to battle at RG,, but the push was not there. Evans a little stronger and better push, but the sack he gave up was a total whiff.

I'm glad you watched the game again, I have not and I trust Aaron Kromer to have his unit ready, but I call as I see it and the only player from the 2nd unit I liked was Neary and everyone knows how I feel about him....So it's onto Hawaii and let's win there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
you are totally right about Gaines and him being a 4th round pick. I mentioned that I drank the koolaid on both him and SJD. I guess I figured as 2 down linemen they could get the job done and they might still get there. I guess my expectations were to high. There is still plenty of time to turn things around though.

Yeah and my expectations were high on him too. And they still are tbh. This was preseason game one. Gaines played well vs the Raiders in practice and showed well in the game so I think he is right where he needs to be.

I think our rookie class as a whole showed well. Quite happy with things right now we lost a game with a ton of guys who won't be on this roster to include a QB who pi$$ed away a ton of opportunity. It's all good. (y)

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame

I think sometimes we forget while we are improving our squad via acquisitions, other teams are too, and we've lacked early round picks and picked later recently. It's all about how much you're improving relative to the rest of the league (and 2018's draft was considered particularly strong--those guys are probably going to help shake up some power rankings this year).

oldnotdead

Legend
Edwards dropped in the draft because he's very raw and it showed. They drafted him because of his potential. Long term I'm going to withhold judgment on him until the end of pre-season. I see what the Rams must have seen on his collegiate film. But this is a whole new level and he needs time to develop.

Spending a 1st round pick on oline is risky. The bust rate for oline is big. Just go back a couple of years when there were 4 or 5 OT's taken in the first round and only 2 I believe really panned out. One of the two best OT's taken that year was picked in round 3. That is a whole lot of wasted 1st round capital. Teams have traditionally taken their starters for the oline in rounds 2-4 because it takes 2 sometimes 3 years to develop them. It's a reason teams have gone to zone blocking. It shortens the time to develop them

Also, it's very hard to judge players on the oline when you keep shuffling them around. Oline play is dependent upon them playing as a unit. We've all heard the term gel, right? Well, it's for real. Another factor is the center and QB must make the correct blocking calls. If you have an inexperienced center he can make everyone look bad by simply making the wrong call.

Aaron Neary has bounced around between the Rams, Cleveland, Philly since originally being signed in 2016 by Denver as a UDFA. Part of his problem is his build and apparent inability to bulk up and strengthen and to manage his "bad weight". He could be a decent center if he simply applied himself. The fact the Rams have stuck by him despite his 4 game suspension would seem to indicate they see something in him as a decent backup C/OG.

IMO the backups looked worse than they really are. Edwards looked as expected as did Evans who projects as an OG at the NFL level. Demby will be fine once he's allowed to simply focus upon one position. People need to understand that the techniques at each position are different so until the new guys get it down there will be mistakes. Yes, there wasn't a run game but that is expected. What is encouraging is that the QB's didn't get pummeled. There was some pressure but even then the QB's had time to throw.

I'm not pessimistic at all. Things on the oline are pretty much as I expected and better in some ways actually. The only thing that might change is Edwards needs to improve or he will end up on the PS, where I personally think he belongs. He will clear waivers because no team will play him this year if he doesn't improve enough. I thought he was a bit of a reach in the 5th but the Rams took him based upon his physical traits and athleticism. In the long run, he might turn out fine, because they really have until 2022 (Havenstein's contract year) anyway.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
3rd round selection OL'er Bobby Evans played every offensive snap.

2nd season OL'er Neary played 2 positions- OC/RG
1st yr OL'er Jamil Demby played 4 positons- RG/ OC/ LG/ LT
1st yr OL'er Kolone played 2 positions- RG/LG
Rookie Evans played 3 positions - RT/ RG/ LT
Rookie Edwards played 3 positions- LT/ LG/ RT
Rookie Brewer played RT
Rookie Kaskey played LG
Rookie Hitner played RG
Rookie Hrynkiewicz played center

Rams OL first Quarter

LT- Edwards
LG- Kolone
OC- Neary
RG- Demby
RT- Evans

2nd Quarter @ 13.42 OL
LT-Evans
LG- Kolone
OC- Demby
RG- Neary
RT-Edwards

2nd Quarter @ 3:50 OL
LT- Evans
LG- Demby
OC- Neary
RG- Kolone
RT- Edwards

3rd Quarter @ 10:32 OL
LT- Demby
LG-Edwards
OC- Neary
RG- Evans
RT- Brewer

4th quarter @ 7:22 OL
LT-Evans
LG- Kaskey
OC- Hrynkiewicz
RG- Hitner
RT-Brewer

Some of my opinions from what I observed. Demby is much better @ OG than OT & he is far better @ LG than RG. Arron Neary had a very good game. Rookie (Cancer Survivor) Brewer held his @ RT own very well. Kromer has been busy with Edwards/ Demby & Evans working on versatility. Vitas Hrynkiewicz delivers a wallop & plays fire.

Last edited:

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Watching the replay even tho I dvr’d Channel 2 LA... lotta peeps complained over being forced fed the Raiders broadcast

Honestly Beth Mowen really isn’t too bad, and I for one appreciate a soldier like Matt Millan...tho I NEVER rooted for any of his teams I do respect the man and his accomplishments

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
I was impressed with Rapp, Henderson, Hodge, Thomas and Nearly.

Disappointed in Kiser and Young

What stood out to you about Henderson? Seems he was stuffed in the backfield the whole time. Not blaming him as the blocking sucked.