Rams proven right for admitting mistake with Todd Gurley contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

don’t agree because of that history of Gurley’s injury & RB’s over NFL careers.

I like and still like Todd Gurley. He is more of a Diva than I would want imo.
Only because of how his 2nd season with The Rams went down.

My other point of Gurleys contract was The Rams history & the FACT Aaron Donald was held out TWICE.

The 2 are totally different on & off the field.Both had HOF credentials,but only 1 will make it to Ohio.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

We? Is this you Les?:biggrin:

I was against drafting Gurley.
Three things I’m always against in drafting, is players with previously serious injury, raw players before round 5, and very small lightweights. They are all too risky.

A tenth overall pick is a huge commodity and if used wisely could end up as a career player at 10+ years. Gurley was great for a few years, the injury risk reared its ugly head. The contract was ridiculously above market value too. I hated that contracts and at the time Gurley was healthy.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I’m sorry, but I’d take S-Jax over Gurley every day. S-Jax on this Rams team with McVay would be a shoo-in for the Hall. Gurley on a Linehan/Spags team wouldn’t sniff 1000 yards.

Debacled

Starter
Gurley’s stating that he helped build our new stadium confirmed what I had began to think of him since watching him sulk all over the field in 2019 and taking to Twitter to bash the rams for not paying him. Dudes ego is massive and fragile. When he’s balling and we’re winning those things hardly matter but under adversity...different story. If I had to guess I’d say there was a lot more going on behind the scenes with Gurley prior to his departure. Possible locker room division or power struggle (the foregoing is an opinion). The reason I think this is because we might as well have kept him to vulture touchdowns (he’s still great at getting in the end zone from like 10 yds out) and mentor younger players if he was a good teammate as the savings were negligible...but we didn’t. Idk something is off. Glad he’s gone

The Rams waved the white flag when they realized his knee wouldn't let him be the player he was for those monster years. Injuries happen to good players all the time, and many times it can mean the end of an era for them. This had nothing to do with attitude or behind the scenes drama. They simply didn't want to trot a one legged horse out there for the money he was costing. His contract simply had him paid too high to keep him around.

Mentor players?

The guy is still only 26 who was a phenomenal talent until his knee gave up on him. Not some crafty veteran who reinvented himself a number of times who could teach youngsters the way to win. I'm all for keeping guys around who can teach, but he is only in his 6th year in the league.

None of this makes him any less of a great player. The NFL really should be known as Not For Long. Its a what can you do for me today not what have you done for me league.

That knee deprived us all of a really special player....not just Rams fans.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
The Gurley situation was a tragedy to the tune of tens of millions of dollars.

He was clearly playing at a Hall of Fame level his first 18 months in the league before he reinjured a devastating knee injury from college.

It is what it is. No point in playing Captain Hindsight.

What's worse is that 50% of 5-star recruits don't even make it out of high-school.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Gurley, Jackson, Faulk, Bettis, Dickerson, McCutcheon......the Rams have had a long list of quality running backs. I prefer to look at it that way.....they were all Rams, all had great seasons, all thrilled us. We don't have to "compare" who's better or worse. Gurley was just the latest of the great RBs. His 2017-18 seasons were awesome.....2556 yards rushing, 30 TDs; 1368 yards receiving 10 TDs...the engine in that Ferrari that went 24-8 and got to the SB. SJ's best two years (05-06) don't equal that......2574 rushing yards, 21 TDs; 1126 yards receiving 5 TDs. But....SJ was the ONLY bright spot on an otherwise pitiful team, so we've got to give him that. And as good as Gurley's 2 year stint was, it wasn't as good as Marshall's 99-00 stint.......2741 rushing yards 25 TDs, 1878 receiving yards 13 TDs AND a Superbowl Championship.

I prefer to think of those guys in a good light. Great Rams. Great performances. Great memories. SJ had good luck with his legs and played 9 years for the Rams. Gurley 5 years. Marshall 7. That's 21 years, many of them full of thrills. Is Gurley done? Yup.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
McSnead avoided falling into the sunk cost fallacy by letting Gurley go, and ditto with Cooks. There was a good discussion about how they had to take some short term embarrassment over that in this week's 11 Personnel podcast, but they are looking good on that decision now, especially after Akers' breakout game and Gurley's rather pedestrian numbers in ATL.