Rams proven right for admitting mistake with Todd Gurley contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams proven right for admitting mistake with Todd Gurley contract - Turf Show Times
Rams proven right for admitting mistake with Todd Gurley contract
Both he and Cam Akers are doling out the evidence
By Kenneth Arthur@KennethArthuRS Dec 13, 2020, 11:03am CST

New England Patriots v Los Angeles Rams

Instead of reporting the news and moving on, it has become the norm for many in “the media” — a blanket term that has lost most of its meaning when there are thousands who believe a blue checkmark or a certain number of followers makes them “media” — to consistently add a layer of superiority. In thoughts, ideas, execution and management, among other things.

That’s an easy way for a person to expose their ego, believing that how they would have handled an issue with the benefit of hindsight (plus the fact that they will never get an opportunity to prove how they would perform in the real world since they didn’t reach that level) is a matter of interest to others. If you want to find an example of me being a hypocrite in that regard, I’m sure you wouldn’t have to look far.

So this is not about whether or not I would have either extended or released Todd Gurley, the two key moves in that team-player relationship over a two-year period, but rather focusing on the people who did: Les Snead and Sean McVay, above all others.

The Rams gave Gurley a four-year, $57 million extension in 2018 at a time when:

a) They didn’t necessarily have to because Gurley had two years left on his deal, including a fifth-year option.
b) Many in “the media” were hoping for and anticipating a record-setting running back contract that they could rip apart for the mere fact that a team was paying its running back. Le’Veon Bell was threatening to sit out an entire season for the Steelers in 2018, much to the laughter of some people who thought it absurd for a running back to want to be paid after five seasons, two first team all-pro nods and leading the NFL in touches the year prior.

All for $4 million on his rookie deal and one season on the franchise tag.
Then Gurley got his deal and all eyes were on how his situation would pan out, with probably far too many people rooting against him merely for the fact that it would make their old tweets “look better.” Then, I guess, they got “their wish.”

Gurley never played a down on his extension, but he did rush for 1,251 yards and lead the NFL in touchdowns for the second year in a row, helping the Rams make the Super Bowl that season. Had Los Angeles not extended him and Gurley had not held out, then they likely play out the fifth-year option in 2019 and see what we all saw.

It would have saved the team $11.75 million in dead money in 2020 and $8.4 million in 2021. However, that’s not what happened and because the Rams were eager to reward a player who clearly played a key role in McVay’s offense ranking first in points in 2017 — a theory further proven accurate by ranking second in points in 2018 and then tumbling down the rankings in each of the last two seasons without him at full strength, or at all — they were left on the hook to pay Gurley whether he was on the team or not.

LA did save about $5 million by releasing Gurley this year but could have easily justified keeping him on the team given:
a) The dead money.
b) The embarrassment of making those doubters in the media believe they were “right.”
In the NFL, you’d much rather win than be right. And now it would seem that Snead and McVay at least did the right thing in parting with Gurley before it became apparent to everyone — including the Falcons — that he wasn’t likely to produce an elite season in 2020.

And that a second round running back could adequately fill his role by the second half of the year.
After rushing for 857 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2019, but with 3.8 yards per carry, three fumbles and only 207 receiving yards, Todd Gurley’s managed to do even worse in Atlanta. Gurley was somewhat productive in the first five games of the season (375 rushing yards, 4.75 YPC, five touchdowns) but maybe he had a couple favorable matchups. Or anything more than a month takes its toll on his knees.

In the last six games, Gurley’s had 96 carries for 251 yards (2.61 YPC) and only caught nine passes for 48 yards. He missed a game against the Raiders because of his knee and has been active, but limited, over the two weeks since then.

Cam Akers is having more of an opposite season. In the last three games, Akers has seen his playing time increase and he has 59 attempts for 327 yards (5.54 YPC) with three catches for 45 yards. It remains to be seen if Akers can be the dual threat that Gurley was in 2017 and 2018 but as a runner, he’s given the Rams a piece to the offense that they’ve sorely lacked since having to turn to C.J. Anderson two years ago.

I thought I would add this to this article::ok::)
We all make mistakes. At least Snead and McVay didn’t compound one by doubling down on it.

2020 Dead Cap/Cap breakdowns for players who have been traded or released. All count against the team's salary cap.

PLAYER (40)POS.BASE SALARYSIGNING BONUSROSTER BONUSOPTION BONUSWORKOUT BONUSRESTRUC. BONUSMISC.DEAD CAPCAP HITCAP %
Brandin CooksWR-$4,200,000$4,000,000$13,600,000----$21,800,00010.69
Todd GurleyRB-$4,200,000$5,050,000-----$9,250,0004.54
Clay MatthewsOLB--$2,000,000-----$2,000,0000.98

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I had zero problem with them letting Gurley go, his attitude sucked and he just wasn't putting in the effort that he did prior.

You can't go into a shell and make excuses about your play just because they're rebuilding the offensive line.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I like that the Rams are willing to pony up the bucks for the great players. To include Gurley. Just irks me that all the shit about the knee comes up right after the signing.

Whole thing just feels wrong to me. And it probably relates to my opinion of the guy now with hindsight and all. Which is why I'm no longer seeing the whole thing the same way.

But anyway. Glad they bit the bullet. The one irreplaceable piece moving forward is McVay. IMO.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It wasn't a mistake. Can't predict injuries. He was on a mvp trajectory again before he got injured.

Psycho_X

Legend
I'm glad the Rams don't try and force players into playing when they obviously don't fit anymore or are a liability waiting to happen. They cut ties, nurse their cap wounds, and move on by immediately replacing them through the draft. I probably have more of a problem with the Cooks signing than I do Gurley in hindsight. But the NFL is a huge gamble when it comes to rosters and injuries. Just got to hope you hire good coaches to deal with adversity because it will happen.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gurley’s stating that he helped build our new stadium confirmed what I had began to think of him since watching him sulk all over the field in 2019 and taking to Twitter to bash the rams for not paying him. Dudes ego is massive and fragile. When he’s balling and we’re winning those things hardly matter but under adversity...different story. If I had to guess I’d say there was a lot more going on behind the scenes with Gurley prior to his departure. Possible locker room division or power struggle (the foregoing is an opinion). The reason I think this is because we might as well have kept him to vulture touchdowns (he’s still great at getting in the end zone from like 10 yds out) and mentor younger players if he was a good teammate as the savings were negligible...but we didn’t. Idk something is off. Glad he’s gone

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame

It wasn't a mistake. Can't predict injuries. He was on a mvp trajectory again before he got injured.

I agree with this.

It was not a mistake, in my opinion, so much as a gamble - RBs get banged up, and in Gurley's case, he also had a bum knee with lots of tred on his tires. Unfortunately, Gurley's knee degenerated, and the gamble did not pay off.

I am generally not in favour of paying RBs a big second contract - and especially not giving them contracts earlier than you have to. RBs have a short shelf-life due to the amount of punishment the position takes, and quality RBs can be found every year in rounds 2-4; it is better to consistently draft some, in my opinion, so you always have fresh legs coming in and can move on to the next ball carrier at any time whenever required.

But if you have a truly special back, I don't see the harm in locking him up and rolling the dice if your franchise has an appetite for risk - and clearly, the Rams do.

Other than the QB, no other offensive position touches the ball as much as a RB. If you have a truly special one, it really does take your offense to the next level. Gurley's combination of size, speed, ability to catch the football, nose for the end-zone around the goal-line (he's STILL one of the best in the league in that regard), and ability to pass protect (I've rarely seen a RB pick up the blitz as well as him) made Gurley a truly generational talent. He had some flaws, but on balance, is a perennial MVP candidate if healthy. He couldn't stay healthy, his attitude suffered as a result, he arguably became a locker room cancer (we'll never truly know it seems), and thankfully the Rams had the balls to cut bait and move on. But I don't think the contract was a "mistake".

Cooks' contract was much more of a mistake than Gurley's. Cooks is/was good receiver, maybe even very good. But he wasn't a particularly special talent, and I don't think warranted those dollars.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I agree with this.

It was not a mistake, in my opinion, so much as a gamble - RBs get banged up, and in Gurley's case, he also had a bum knee with lots of tred on his tires. Unfortunately, Gurley's knee degenerated, and the gamble did not pay off.

I am generally not in favour of paying RBs a big second contract - and especially not giving them contracts earlier than you have to. RBs have a short shelf-life due to the amount of punishment the position takes, and quality RBs can be found every year in rounds 2-4; it is better to consistently draft some, in my opinion, so you always have fresh legs coming in and can move on to the next ball carrier at any time whenever required.

But if you have a truly special back, I don't see the harm in locking him up and rolling the dice if your franchise has an appetite for risk - and clearly, the Rams do.

Other than the QB, no other offensive position touches the ball as much as a RB. If you have a truly special one, it really does take your offense to the next level. Gurley's combination of size, speed, ability to catch the football, nose for the end-zone around the goal-line (he's STILL one of the best in the league in that regard), and ability to pass protect (I've rarely seen a RB pick up the blitz as well as him) made Gurley a truly generational talent. He had some flaws, but on balance, is a perennial MVP candidate if healthy. He couldn't stay healthy, his attitude suffered as a result, he arguably became a locker room cancer (we'll never truly know it seems), and thankfully the Rams had the balls to cut bait and move on. But I don't think the contract was a "mistake".

Cooks' contract was much more of a mistake than Gurley's. Cooks is/was good receiver, maybe even very good. But he wasn't a particularly special talent, and I don't think warranted those dollars.

Gurley was an enormous talent. It's a shame to see him with diminished skills.

I'm not willing to second guess the Rams for signing him to the contract. Also not interested in criticizing Gurley at this point for being unhappy (either with his injury, or McVay, or both) in extenuating circumstances where he just couldn't play and perform at his best. But also agree that the Rams had to move on.

I prefer to think of Gurley as an extraordinary, more likely great, player who absolutely lit it up for the Rams while he was healthy. And leave it at that.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Gurley’s stating that he helped build our new stadium confirmed what I had began to think of him since watching him sulk all over the field in 2019 and taking to Twitter to bash the rams for not paying him. Dudes ego is massive and fragile. When he’s balling and we’re winning those things hardly matter but under adversity...different story. If I had to guess I’d say there was a lot more going on behind the scenes with Gurley prior to his departure. Possible locker room division or power struggle (the foregoing is an opinion). The reason I think this is because we might as well have kept him to vulture touchdowns (he’s still great at getting in the end zone from like 10 yds out) and mentor younger players if he was a good teammate as the savings were negligible...but we didn’t. Idk something is off. Glad he’s gone
Idk if his ego would've let him mentor a young player who he thought was going to replace him. Idk the guy but his sulking and everything he did/said after his departure makes me think there would've been some resentment there. I appreciate what he did for the team when he was with us but I'm glad he's gone now. The team is better off imo.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Idk if his ego would've let him mentor a young player who he thought was going to replace him. Idk the guy but his sulking and everything he did/said after his departure makes me think there would've been some resentment there. I appreciate what he did for the team when he was with us but I'm glad he's gone now. The team is better off imo.
Yeah that was the point I was making the reason he is not around right now is because of his ego...obviously I’m just guessing tho bc we’re not inside the locker room

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Other than the covid-fanless experience, this season has been almost a breeze with less player controversy for the Rams.

Hard to believe that just a season and a half ago we were constantly bombarded by questions of "What's wrong with..." and "Where's Waldo" or "Whatever happened to Carmen San Diego."

While the last 2 questions are a parody of of the actual recipient of the questions, they pretty much sum up the huge negative vibes of the recent past. It's so nice not to have that this year at the RB position. Of course we still get a few "What's Wrong with Goff" and "will we ever have a legit kicker"... but those pale in comparison to the exhausting repeated questions toward T. Goods III. I don't miss that at all.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
I dont get Gurley hate and never will. Not a single teammate/coach has said anything negative about him not one. They have nothing but positive comments for him. Just seems like people just wanna make up a reason to not like the guy to me because they had a problem with him before for whatever reason. Gurley was a transcendent player for us and we'll be lucky to ever replicate that kind of production.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
Gurley was my favourite Ram for a long time...since Isaac Bruce.
I really thought we had something special, which we did.
Then it all went wrong.
I wanted him to stay.
Just proves that I know nothing.
Gurley was an amazing player and it's a shame how it went south.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont get Gurley hate and never will. Not a single teammate/coach has said anything negative about him not one. They have nothing but positive comments for him. Just seems like people just wanna make up a reason to not like the guy to me because they had a problem with him before for whatever reason. Gurley was a transcendent player for us and we'll be lucky to ever replicate that kind of production.
How do you feel about gurley saying that he helped build our new stadium (as if kronke didn’t put out like 2 billion non gurley dollars) or that he tried to make the rams look bad on Twitter despite the fact that he was wrong and the contract language dictated when he was to be paid ? Or the terrible body language on the field all last season? In the history of rams running backs gurley is just a blip really because what could have been doesn’t matter only what actually happened. Our last 2 feature running backs were better than him and we’re not even going back that far to find them...sjax > gurley. Marshall >gurley. Gurley had all the ability in the world but the bottom line is he didn’t last and tried to make our organization look bad over social media after his departure. There was more than meets the eye (my prediction)

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
E
How do you feel about gurley saying that he helped build our new stadium (as if kronke didn’t put out like 2 billion non gurley dollars) or that he tried to make the rams look bad on Twitter despite the fact that he was wrong and the contract language dictated when he was to be paid ? Or the terrible body language on the field all last season? In the history of rams running backs gurley is just a blip really because what could have been doesn’t matter only what actually happened. Our last 2 feature running backs were better than him and we’re not even going back that far to find them...sjax > gurley. Marshall >gurley. Gurley had all the ability in the world but the bottom line is he didn’t last and tried to make our organization look bad over social media after his departure. There was more than meets the eye (my prediction)
Everything you just said is in your head and not reality. Gurley was a big reason the rams are relevant and calls LA home.. You're reading to much in his comments.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
I love sjax but Gurley 17/18 were both better than anything he did. The only thing that could stop him was health and mcvay. Otherwise he was unstoppable as was the rams offense.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
E

Everything you just said is in your head and not reality. Gurley was a big reason the rams are relevant and calls LA home.. You're reading to much in his comments.
Can you clarify? Because I’m pretty sure
1) gurleys contribution to the rams bankroll did not have any effect on Stan putting out money or the state of California putting out money

2) Gurley did call out the rams on Twitter claiming he had not been paid on time but the lack of legal recourse along with general manager les sneads comments indicated that the rams did in fact have time to pay gurley.

3) there’s no way for me to make you feel like gurley had terrible body language last season so I assume by your response you’re going to disagree but I know many others do in fact agree about gurleys body language so we’ll call this a moot point tho I hardly think I made it up in my head.

4) Marshall and sjax were better rams than todd gurley idk what to tell you if you disagree...

which parts were in my head? Because if you’re accusing me of living in a fantasy land you should probably have an example. Tho I suspect you won’t.