Rams proven right for admitting mistake with Todd Gurley contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Proven wrong = I have a personal problem with a person I’ve never met? Lmao what? You can disagree with my points but to pretend they’re not valid is disingenuous and insecure.
Lol okay. Why else would you look at body language and ego and other stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with you to bash him? Nothing you stated can be proven but we do know his teammates and coaches loved him and said as much. So forgive me if I go with the ppl closes to Gurley over a fan who seems to not like him.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol okay. Why else would you look at body language and ego and other stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with you to bash him? Nothing you stated can be proven but we do know his teammates and coaches loved him and said as much. So forgive me if I go with the ppl closes to Gurley over a fan who seems to not like him.
Are you okay?

twice now I’ve stated that the body language thing was a moot point because I can’t prove it including my original post.

Apparently to you “Proof” is press conferences. Do you really think cooper kupp would be like “yeah todd is an egotistical asshole” ...yeah... Me either.

What can be proven with what I have stated is that stan could have afforded sofi with or without gurley and that he made no impact on the purchase. that sjax had a more productive ram career than gurley . And that gurley took a tantrum in Twitter and was legally proved wrong and got his money when it was due..:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SJAX was great, but it was just him and all of the defenses knew he was getting the ball. With Gurley, he had the benefit of a passing game. We can"t know how great SJAX would have been in his prime with todays Rams.

jacktheripper85

Starter
Who cares about Gurley-he’s gone.

Best way to sum it up.

Gurneys knee starts acting up and he’s basically done.

McVay realizes this and has Goff pretty much air it out every game-over 600 attempts.

Gurley sulks because he realizes that even his coach knows he’s finished and that’s why he barely uses him anymore.

McVay takes high road and deals with the distraction all year by not throwing Gurley under the bus knowing he’s finished.

Season ends. McVay and Snead know he’s finished and don’t want to deal with another year of the bullshit so they cut him.

Gurley makes weak attempt to call out Rams on Twitter but looks as dopey as Matthews.

Only thing I hear about regarding Gurley out of Rams organization is crickets.

Case closed.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who cares about Gurley-he’s gone.

Best way to sum it up.

Gurneys knee starts acting up and he’s basically done.

McVay realizes this and has Goff pretty much air it out every game-over 600 attempts.

Gurley sulks because he realizes that even his coach knows he’s finished and that’s why he barely uses him anymore.

McVay takes high road and deals with the distraction all year by not throwing Gurley under the bus knowing he’s finished.

Season ends. McVay and Snead know he’s finished and don’t want to deal with another year of the bullshit so they cut him.

Gurley makes weak attempt to call out Rams on Twitter but looks as dopey as Matthews.

Only thing I hear about regarding Gurley out of Rams organization is crickets.

Case closed.
I’m just quoting this to make it appear again in the thread because it was SPOT ON

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Are you okay?

twice now I’ve stated that the body language thing was a moot point because I can’t prove it including my original post.

Apparently to you “Proof” is press conferences. Do you really think cooper kupp would be like “yeah todd is an egotistical asshole” ...yeah... Me either.

What can be proven with what I have stated is that stan could have afforded sofi with or without gurley and that he made no impact on the purchase. that sjax had a more productive career than gurley . And that gurley took a tantrum in Twitter and was legally proved wrong and got his money when it was due..:
Lol this is leading no where. You care about things that you shouldn't and I dont get that.
Who cares if Gurley said he help build the stadium?
Who cares if you think his msg on twitter was a "tantrum" (I dont agree but ok)
Who cares if sjax is better than TG? You asked me who i would take and I answered. Not my fault you didn't like my answer.
My intial response was about people bashing Gurley for body language and ego none of which can be proven true. But what can be proven true is that his teammates and coaches loved him and that's what I'm gonna stand by. Not a single player/coach has said anything negative.. If yall act this way towards tg let's better hope we dont ever get a AB type of personality. Lord have mercy if that happens.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol this is leading no where. You care about things that you shouldn't and I dont get that.
Who cares if Gurley said he help build the stadium?
Who cares if you think his msg on twitter was a "tantrum" (I dont agree but ok)
Who cares if sjax is better than TG? You asked me who i would take and I answered. Not my fault you didn't like my answer.
My intial response was about people bashing Gurley for body language and ego none of which can be proven true. But what can be proven true is that his teammates and coaches loved him and that's what I'm gonna stand by. Not a single player/coach has said anything negative.. If yall act this way towards tg let's better hope we dont ever get a AB type of personality. Lord have mercy if that happens.
Yeah I can’t

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m not going to say gurley would be anything ....the power of hindsight dictated that he had degenerative arthritic knees which I stated when I said knowing what we know now. To pretend like because sjax didn’t make the playoffs is the same as knowing that gurley couldn’t have more than 2 exceptional years is off base. The question was centered around if going into this draft you could draft gurley or sjax who would you take? You can’t just pretend no team with sjax could make the playoffs but in hindsight you CAN determine that gurleys knees won’t hold up... we’re not giving them different careers we’re acknowledging one stayed healthy and one didn’t. Do you think next years rams would miss the playoffs with sjax

AND fwiw the person I posed this to initially even chose sjax stating health as a factor ...so you can’t say everyone would chose gurley. Look if gurley stayed on his trajectory he would be the best rb of all time ...but he didn’t . And a hindsight question acknowledges that. Steve Jackson was In fact the better ram running back

Last edited:

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually the initial comment I made was that sjax was a better rams running back. Now if you want to tell me gurley would have been if he stayed health I would agree with you. But again for the what feels like the millionth time...the question was (in terms of who was the better rams running back ) knowing what we know now (in terms of how their careers worked out aka duration and production) who would you rather have? And it was really a sarcastic question because if You could have sjax and what he did for 9 years vs what tgIII did for 5 years and you chose gurley you wouldn't have a job...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

It wasn't a mistake. Can't predict injuries. He was on a mvp trajectory again before he got injured.

No hindsight here. I hated the contract for two reasons.

1. I never trust a runningback’s longevity if he has had a torn ACL.

2. It threw runningback contracts out of kilter. It was so much more than RBs were currently getting. It seemed unnecessarily excessive and would have a bad effect on the cap and future runningback contracts

That is the shortest lived position in the league. They take a pounding and can be injured at any time due to constant contact.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Gurley already had an ACL tear in his history. SJ didn’t.

Arthritis is a very common side affect that goes with any joint, tendon, or ligament surgery, or at least that is what my Orthopedic surgeon has told me. He also told me that the harder I am on it the sooner I’ll see arthritic symptoms arise My brother had knee surgery and so did my wife ( division 1 goalie). Even in their younger days there is no way they could have played runningback for too long.

So even if Gurley plays for years, it isn’t likely that he can play at the same elite level that he was paid to play at.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I have to disagree with everyone saying extending him wasn’t a mistake. I think it’s been proven time and time again you don’t pay rbs a boat load of money in today’s nfl. Especially not when you are paying top dollar for your QB, LT, Wr, and have another semi expensive Wr with a 3rd on the way. Just no way you can pay them all. Good for them for moving on so quickly, but hopefully some lessons were learned from this situation and cooks for that matter

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No hindsight here. I hated the contract for two reasons.

1. I never trust a runningback’s longevity if he has had a torn ACL.

2. It threw runningback contracts out of kilter. It was so much more than RBs were currently getting. It seemed unnecessarily excessive and would have a bad effect on the cap and future runningback contracts

That is the shortest lived position in the league. They take a pounding and can be injured at any time due to constant contact.

I remember shortly after McVay's first year and seeing the all the players breaking out, I immediately said to myself "DON'T sign Gurley". We were never going to be able to keep everyone.

Luckily this has worked out for us so far, only because all the guys we let go have been disappointments except Saffold. I suppose if I could have let Gurley walk to keep Saffold, I would have done that.

PFF is a joke to a lot of people, but their average rating of Gurley made me take a step back and really look at him and our run game - in 2017 I think he was truly amazing. But in 2018 something changed, even when he was putting up similar stats. His longest run was, I think, 20 or 30-something yards. He was still fast, but you could begin to see that "any" RB could do similar things to what he was doing. Then CJ Anderson came in and confirmed that. With Saffold our run blocking was unbelievable, and that's essentially what PFF was saying about Gurley.

Now, his pass blocking and receiving was good enough for me to agree that PFF was off base - BUT it did make me step back and really look at him. And now with this year, having signed Gurley at all was really, really confusing.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I am of the school of thought that you should draft a top flight RB every 3 or 4 years so you don't get roped into paying and excessive amount to your number one back after 4 or 5 years!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I really like our 2020 RB cadre. I would have made the same decision as Snead & McVay did. I expect our trio of RB's to be highly effective in the playoffs. Drafting of RB's on day 2 or 3 every event is a good idea. there are many UDFA RB's starting in the NFL too. Rams have five active RB on the master roster. UDFA Xavier Jones signed a 3-year contract & UDFA Raymond Calais signed a 1-year contract. I believe that Jones will replace UFA Brown in 2021.

Gurley may not be here any longer but he remains on the books for two seasons.
Current Dead Contracts
YEARBASE SALARYSIGNING BONUSROSTER BONUSWORKOUT BONUSDEAD CAP HITYEARLY CASH
Player contract details by year
-$4,200,000$5,050,000-$9,250,000$5,050,000($5,050,000)
Player contract details by year
-$8,400,000--$8,400,000-($5,050,000)

Last edited: