Rams New Offensive Coordinator - Liam Coen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I take it O'Connell wouldn't have left Sean for Staley and the Chargers, and that blocking that was just a standard operational move...right?
I don’t know about that.

If McVay had allowed it, O’Connell may have left for the opportunity to call plays (something he doesn’t do with the Rams) and to work with Justin Herbert.

O’Connell would have been the top offensive coach under Staley.

That’s pretty much the scenario when Matt Lafleur left the Rams for TN in 2018. He went from Rams’ OC under McVay, without play calling duties, to Offensive Coordinator under a new / first-time Head Coach with a defensive background (Mike Vrabel).

One year later, Lafleur had the Green Bay job. McVay let Lafleur go because he recognized that, although it was technically a lateral move from OC to OC, it really was a good opportunity.

I just didn’t think McVay wanted to lose both coordinators last off-season.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Promoting Thomas Brown makes the most since, but it would also mean he'd be in line to get a head coaching job soon.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
my guess is Liam Coen, O/C @ Kentucky. He already has past experience working under McVey in '17-'18 WR's, and then as asst QB coach in '20. He went to Kentucky and helped them to a 10-3 record with a big jump in offensive production.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thomas Brown makes sense. But I want Sean to put a guy like Jay Gruden or Greg Olson on staff. We don't want things to get stale or have guys who aren't willing to challenge him.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I don’t know about that.

If McVay had allowed it, O’Connell may have left for the opportunity to call plays (something he doesn’t do with the Rams) and to work with Justin Herbert.

O’Connell would have been the top offensive coach under Staley.

That’s pretty much the scenario when Matt Lafleur left the Rams for TN in 2018. He went from Rams’ OC under McVay, without play calling duties, to Offensive Coordinator under a new / first-time Head Coach with a defensive background (Mike Vrabel).

One year later, Lafleur had the Green Bay job. McVay let Lafleur go because he recognized that, although it was technically a lateral move from OC to OC, it really was a good opportunity.

I just didn’t think McVay wanted to lose both coordinators last off-season.
I would say that McVay, rightly, thought it would be unfair to have one team poach both his OC and DC in the same year. You shouldn't be able to grab the top staff on both sides of the ball at one time..

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Thomas Brown makes sense. But I want Sean to put a guy like Jay Gruden or Greg Olson on staff. We don't want things to get stale or have guys who aren't willing to challenge him.

This is where my head is at.

KoC is taking our offensive philosophy with him. Its getting more and more into the league, Waldron, etc. With Olsen or Gruden (or another outsider) I like getting external ideas to keep evolving offensively.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
my guess is Liam Coen, O/C @ Kentucky. He already has past experience working under McVey in '17-'18 WR's, and then as asst QB coach in '20. He went to Kentucky and helped them to a 10-3 record with a big jump in offensive production.
That is a great shout. McVay always takes a close look at coordinators at the College level. He went after the Cardinals HC if memory serves correct

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That is a great shout. McVay always takes a close look at coordinators at the College level. He went after the Cardinals HC if memory serves correct
Jourdan Rodrigue put something on Twitter connecting the vacancy to Coen, as well. Got to believe McVay will have him on the list.

That might be someone KoC looks at, too.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I like the idea of a former HC at OC like Gruden. That way they would be with the Rams for more that a cup of coffee. It would definitely take longer for former HC's to get poached with the prevailing opinion that many of those guys are better at being coordinators than being HC's. Of course some of these guys may not like not being able to call plays. I think one reason McVay does not go with a vet is because he does not want to abdicate the play calling and overall control he has over the offense that he would have to conceed to get a vet OC. The HC retread concept would work much better for the defensive side of the ball. I bet Morris gets poached next year unless the rams defense completely collapses.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would love for Morris to get “poached“ with Fangio as his replacement jmo

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I cant see Gruden getting another HC job with all the nonsense that happened in DC, and the guilt by association with brother Jon. That's a great reason to bring him in as OC, never have to worry about him leaving, and wouldnt have to worry about firing him if it didnt work out the way McVay likes. The fact he's actually a pretty good offensive coach and disciple of the same offense religion is a bonus

fearsomefour

Legend
I hear Mike Martz has nothing going on, just hanging out at home watching game film......just sayin.....
I will see myself out......

fearsomefour

Legend
I cant see Gruden getting another HC job with all the nonsense that happened in DC, and the guilt by association with brother Jon. That's a great reason to bring him in as OC, never have to worry about him leaving, and wouldnt have to worry about firing him if it didnt work out the way McVay likes. The fact he's actually a pretty good offensive coach and disciple of the same offense religion is a bonus
The Commish made Gruden his fall guy (and got rid of a vestige of Al Davis, the hated enemy) for the Redskins toxic culture. It would be painting a target on your org by bringing Gruden in.

fearsomefour

Legend
Greg Olsen......if he is let go by the Raiders, I would love to see Greg Olsen back with the Rams.
I think he is an excellent coach that improves QB performance pretty much anywhere he goes.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Commish made Gruden his fall guy (and got rid of a vestige of Al Davis, the hated enemy) for the Redskins toxic culture. It would be painting a target on your org by bringing Gruden in.
Not hiring Jon, talking about hiring Jay Gruden. I guess I should have been more clear.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Liam Coen just got a nice pay raise/extension, to over 1M/yr, to stay at UK. Looks like he'd owe UK $450,000 if he left this year for another coaching job.

The Rams would be a fantastic opportunity for him, but that's a lot to walk away from.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Not saying it will happen but if AZ gets rid of Kliff Kingsbury, I bet he makes the list. I know McVay tried to hire him awhile back.