Rams New Offensive Coordinator - Liam Coen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If history repeats itself.. it's going to be someone who comes from the pass-game area, specifically and likely someone from outside the organization to bring in some new ideas.
I think Thomas Brown is going to be an HC, I just don't know if he's an OC in McVay's structure.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thomas Brown is my choice, but don't sleep on Zac Robinson and/or Wes Phillips getting looks. Either way, keep it in house.
Scott Linehan needs another chance...All we are saying, is give Scott a chance...~Memento

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay doesn't usually let these hires make off with chunks of staff. So I'm guessing KOC will be on his own.

He also doesn't usually hire from within either though so this will be interesting. He talks up Brown constantly, well here's your chance to show your love of the guy.

My guess is that McVay doesn't really want to teach a guy about, say, pass game coordination. So a jump for Brown who only has been exposed to the run side seems unlikely to me. Coach will have options to bring in who will be ready to go wrt the pass game. This isn't really a "learn on the job" staff even though he did that with Raheem. But Raheem is an old friend who he knew personally would be able to handle the change. So he's an outlier IMO.

I'm thinking someone comes in for OC from outside. He might make a run at a guy like Matt Campbell who can punch his ticket after one year in this offense. Dan Mullen would be another option there. But I'm guessing it will be someone like DeFilippo, a guy who has shown some stuff in the pass game already that McVay respects. Or an established offensive mind he knows well like Olson.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Perhaps because of what an outside hire can add to the mix?
He did that on defense. But McVay seems pretty married to his offense and to having control over it. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think he’d be open to a new guys ideas so much.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
He was resigned yesterday. Our new OC will be Thomas Brown.
Brown is certainly a candidate but it seems to me that McVay has really relied on the OC to be the QB coach as well. Definitely with O'Connell. Brown has been a RB coach. Of course Brown could be OC and someone else handle the QBs.

Even with Stafford whoever fills that role will be an important hire or promotion.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay doesn't usually let these hires make off with chunks of staff. So I'm guessing KOC will be on his own.
Cant stop him from promoting a Rams assistant to OC and/or DC though

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brown is certainly a candidate but it seems to me that McVay has really relied on the OC to be the QB coach as well. Definitely with O'Connell. Brown has been a RB coach. Of course Brown could be OC and someone else handle the QBs.

Even with Stafford whoever fills that role will be an important hire or promotion.
Promote Brown to OC and move Robinson from asst QB coach to QB coach then in a year or two when Brown gets a HC gig Robinson is the next to move up.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cant stop him from promoting a Rams assistant to OC and/or DC though
Did the NFL change that rule? Must have missed it.

Used to be teams would allow it but didn't have to allow it by any means. In fact Staley got stoned last offseason in a similar situation and wasn't allowed to poach KOC.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Used to be teams would allow it but didn't have to allow it by any means. In fact Staley got stoned last offseason in a similar situation and wasn't allowed to poach KOC.
That was a lateral move same position so it can be blocked. Can't block a QB coach going to OC for example unless that guy has the assistant coach title like Brown does.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

No rule change. Lateral moves can be blocked but not promotions.

O'Connell was the Rams' Offensive Coordinator, so the Rams could block a lateral-move to the Chargers as their OC.

It's been reported that Hackett wants Ejiro Evero as his Defensive Coordinator. Rams can not block that move.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

O'Connell was the Rams' Offensive Coordinator, so the Rams could block a lateral-move to the Chargers as their OC.

It's been reported that Hackett wants Ejiro Evero as his Defensive Coordinator. Rams can not block that move.
I believe there was a rule change a couple of years ago. There used to be two designations of coach: assistant coach and head coach. Any move not to a HC could be blocked. A few years ago they changed it to have a coordinator as well. I can try to dig up an article, but it's a few years old at this point.

Or I could be totally wrong.

EDIT: that was easier and newer than I thought it would be.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I believe that Mike Martz is available! :thinking:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

This just doesn't sound right to me but ok. Guess I'm remembering wrong.

I was of the mind that a team could block any move that was not a HC hire.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Few Rams’ examples:

Rams got Staley (LB coach) from Fangio’s defense in Denver because they made him Defensive Coordinator.

Rams lost Waldron to Seattle when the Seahawks made him their Offensive Coordinator.

Now, as 1maGoh pointed out above, that wasn’t always the rule. However, it has been the rule for a couple years now.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That was the rule until 2 or so years ago when they added OC/DC to HC as promotion hires that cant be blocked
Lateral moves can be, so a non play calling OC cant take an OC job where he calls plays unless given the ok from his club

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would have no problems with Bieniemy as OC. He might also see how Ram coordinators are targeted each year so being a Ram OC would bring him into the spotlight. But IMO it's going to be Thomas Brown.
He’s definitely deserving by his resume. Wonder if his interviews are hurting him???

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He’s definitely deserving by his resume. Wonder if his interviews are hurting him???
Sure seems like something is up. Also what I find strange is that when Ryan Poles got his GM promotion, he didnt take him with him like Schoen did with Daboll. I mean, the guy has been lauded as a top HC candidate for a couple years in a row now, surely Poles would have an inside track on that?

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I take it O'Connell wouldn't have left Sean for Staley and the Chargers, and that blocking that was just a standard operational move...right?