Rams interested in DT Nick Fairley? (Update: Apparently so)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So whats the plan for Secondary? As long as secondary is weak, there is only so much Rams can do to better the DL. Thumbs down on this signing.
I don't buy that our secondary is weak. It is very young so another year in and I think we've got some real players back there.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
So whats the plan for Secondary? As long as secondary is weak, there is only so much Rams can do to better the DL. Thumbs down on this signing.

Was literally just going to ask the same question. Our front 7 is about as loaded as its going to be (unless we draft a long term stud ILB replacement for Laurinaitis to groom behind him which I would love) any time soon - but we always get let down by our secondary. They play great for 3 quarters and then give up some stupid play because of "communication issues" or some stuff like that.

V3

Hall of Fame
It's a really good contract for a very good player. But I do agree that our secondary isn't as good as some believe and if there's a breakdown back there, it probably won't matter how much talent we have up front.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Didn't Fritz Shurmer run a 5-2 that he called the Eagle while he was with the Rams? During Kevin Greene's tenure, pretty sure...
Actually, the Eagle was a 2-5 (2 down lineman, 5 LBs), but that was only because of injuries in '89.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Except E.J Gaines every one on that secondary don't start for most teams.

J.J is more talented than a lot of CB's in this league. He just suffers the odd brain fart which makes him look stupid when gets burnt. Usually about once a game or so....

TJ McDonald is a real good safety as well IMHO. Gaines looked like a star last year....and.....well that's all I got to say about our secondary.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Our D-line just keeps getting nastier on paper. Luckily most of our front seven is familiar with Gregg Williams's scheme so we likely won't have issues accumulating pressure in the first half of the season. The addition of Akeem Ayers should improve our base 4-3 packages as well. Hopefully our LB corps and secondary will be better prepared to make turnovers against quick passes this coming season.

However, I'm quite concerned with our draft strategy; we're basically putting ourselves in a situation where we it'll be difficult to draft BPA. I'll wait until Wisniewski and and Blalock make a decision.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Weak secondary? Huh?

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Untitled 454.jpg

jjab360

Legend
T.J. Mcdonald certainly does. Barron, Jenkins, and TruJo start on most teams too.

Barron and one of Gaines, Jenkins, or TruJo probably won't even start for us next season, so what does that say about our depth?

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some of you guys are gonna be really disappointed if EJ has an off year. Jenkins would definitely start on another team as would t-Mac McLeod is getting better every year, our defense is set we need another Cb a MLB for practice squad but man year 2 in GW system yeah its over

V3

Hall of Fame
Weak secondary? Huh?
Yes. It's not even top half in the NFL.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-completions-per-game

Use all the different links on the right side to see all the different pass defense rankings. They were consistently in the middle to bottom half.

One exception to point out is Yards per Completion. They were ranked 9th in the NFL. That sounds good but just reinforces what I thought I saw; offenses just countered our pass rush with quick, short passes. They ate us alive at times with them. That explains the high passer ratings, incompletions, completions, and completion percentages against us, also.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/13/nick-fairley-signs-with-rams/

CORRECTION: “Fairley will join Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers and Chris Long to form the strongest defensive line in professional football.”
----------
Their D line is already ridiculous
---------
Wouldn’t be surprised to see fairly tear it up in STL, especially with that D-line. He’ll land a huge deal, and then who knows after that. Probably slip back into mediocrity and inconsistency.

Kid has all the talent, if he has the drive to be great.
--------
Rams should go to a 5-man front with Long/Quinn on the ends, Brockers/Donald on the inside and Fairley in the middle.
--------
Wow, that’s a hell of a front the Rams have.
---------
best dline in nfl gets more talented…if fairly could learn more technique and stay healthy he could be a top 5-7 DT.
-------
What a nasty D-line !

Maybe it’s time for the Rams to pick-up people on the other side of the ball…
-------
Great situation for him. He’s going to have to earn his playing time among that crew.
---------
In all fairness, he’s great at making trades such as the RG3 haul and a second round pick on top of Foles.

His Rams teams have been very competitive considering they’ve had 3rd stringers at quarterback for a majority of the last three seasons.
Now they’ve upgraded to second string!
--------
NFC West looking brutal this year-except for the imploding 9ers. Hawks better get that O-line fixed or Wilson will be running for his life even more than usual.
--------
it’s only a one-year deal, so this makes sense for both sides. Fairley still has things to prove, but he is worth a look and a decent payday to see if he has really changed. The veterans in STL can help keep him in line. He always gets hurt, but with the depth on that line, they can deal with that if needed. He seems like a likeable kid, but he could use a fresh start, and this one seems like a good place for him to land. Best of luck.
----------
Man, thats a DL I wouldnt like to face
--------
If you want to know who Fairly is watch the 2013 game at Philly. Dominant for 30 minutes of football then the second half came around and this guy gets tossed around like a rag doll by average guards. Makes sense tho. His problem is his conditioning, it’s one thing to be fat but this guy is fat and lazy.

By the 3rd quarter of that Philly game he was jello and the oline and Mccoy were running it right down his throat. This is however a ok signing as Aaron Donald and Brockers can carry the load and Fairly can be nothing more than a rotational guy. Which is what he is due to his fitness and motor.
--------
Geez! I will be the first to say the Rams have one if the sickest D-lines there is…probably the best. Are they interested in doing anything with that offense, though? Foles is a good start, in my opinion, but what else are they looking to do?
-------
If they get a legit WR to pair with Foles and keep this D playing salty I think they’ve passed the 9er’s and are challenging the Cards for 2nd in the division….if the Hawks take a step back after getting thier hearts ripped out then watch out. That D-Line is going to take games OVER.
-------
As a Hawks fan I’m not excited about this