Rams going back to Keenum

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Or maybe he remembered how Keenum looked compared to Foes in practice and the preseason.
Or maybe he realizes or believes practice reps matter. And more importantly the lack of practice reps make it even more difficult to perform at a competitive level.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Listening to 101 ESPN... They make a good point; Foles was doing okay until the Green Bay game. Hasn't been the same since then.
IT was a huge helmet to the sternum cheap shot from Matthewa that went unflaged (because Rams of course) but it should t have messed him up this bad??

Alan

Legend
CoachO chiming in:
Or maybe he realizes or believes practice reps matter. And more importantly the lack of practice reps make it even more difficult to perform at a competitive level.
That too.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I was asking a sincere question ... I honestly was wondering who the "we" was.

http://ramsondemand.com/threads/its-time-to-start-mannion.41247/page-4#post-669099

This is the second time you've posted the exact same questioning of the use of "we" from people wanting to see Mannion play, so I doubt it was a "sincere question" or "honest". You obviously have a different idea of what it means to be a fan than others, and by all means feel free to tell people they are stupid for saying "we" (makes the fan site such a warm and fuzzy place when the posters personally attack each other). But to go off on @LoyalRam calling him pissy and invoking panties after your passive-aggressive shtick is silly.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
http://ramsondemand.com/threads/its-time-to-start-mannion.41247/page-4#post-669099

This is the second time you've posted the exact same questioning of the use of "we" from people wanting to see Mannion play, so I doubt it was a "sincere question" or "honest". You obviously have a different idea of what it means to be a fan than others, and by all means feel free to tell people they are stupid for saying "we" (makes the fan site such a warm and fuzzy place when the posters personally attack each other). But to go off on @LoyalRam calling him pissy and invoking panties after your passive-aggressive shtick is silly.
Second time because my question was never answered the first time.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our starting QB, who gets all the snaps is not coming even remotely close to performing at a competitive level
There is no down side to playing Mannion, none

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Our starting QB, who gets all the snaps is not coming even remotely close to performing at a competitive level
Well except for destroying his confidence and sending him on a Blaine Gabbertesque spiral downward that we may or may not give him a chance to rectify.

Enough QBs get thrown into a dumpster fire and tossed aside never to get a chance again enough, I'd like to let out professional pincushions to get reamed and then let him go in a better situation.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
We will agree to disagree.

If they are seriously looking at Mannion as a viable long term option then throwing him out there under these conditions would absolutely be a downside to his development.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well except for destroying his confidence and sending him on a Blaine Gabbertesque spiral downward that we may or may not give him a chance to rectify.

Enough QBs get thrown into a dumpster fire and tossed aside never to get a chance again enough, I'd like to let out professional pincushions to get reamed and then let him go in a better situation.
If his confidence can be shaken so badly by his performance in one game, then shame on the Rams for wasting a draft pick on him, period.
Blaine Gabbert started 27 games for Jacksonville and if you're going to tell me he was ruined in his first start, that's just silly

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If they are seriously looking at Mannion as a viable long term option then throwing him out there under these conditions would absolutely be a downside to his development.
Im just not following. There have been other unheralded rookies who have been "thrown in" who have excelled. Matt McGloin, TJ Yates come to mind.

What's a shame for Mannion, is that he'll be playing for a next coaching staff next year and will be behind the 8 ball even worse as a new regime will likely bring in their own guys

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
If his confidence can be shaken so badly by his performance in one game, then shame on the Rams for wasting a draft pick on him, period.
Blaine Gabbert started 27 games for Jacksonville and if you're going to tell me he was ruined in his first start, that's just silly
So you're only advocating he start one game?

Or that he's going to really turn it around by 4 games? He's definitely not going to be ruined by one game, but what about this team gives you confidence that it's going to protect him or look better in these next 4 games? It's a little different if he's constantly getting lit up in the next 4 games instead of just one.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

@CoachO you're right on point on this and for this very reason we won't see Mannion with maybe the exception of the end of games or possibly the last game of the year against the 49ers.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you're only advocating he start one game?

Or that he's going to really turn it around by 4 games? He's definitely not going to be ruined by one game, but what about this team gives you confidence that it's going to protect him or look better in these next 4 games? It's a little different if he's constantly getting lit up in the next 4 games instead of just one.
I didnt even say start him, I said he needs to play.
But I'd give him a game, why not.
The current QB play is so bad that I feel THAT is detrimental to the entire young offensive team collectively. Mannion might be a spark for the guys who are out there getting creamed. If not? Oh well. Cant be worse
Take it one game at a time

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I didnt even say start him, I said he needs to play.
But I'd give him a game, why not.
The current QB play is so bad that I feel THAT is detrimental to the entire young offensive team collectively. Mannion might be a spark for the guys who are out there getting creamed. If not? Oh well. Cant be worse
Take it one game at a time
Sometimes it takes more than a spark, we've already put in a spark and it didn't do much of anything except get him concussed.

If this guy is really the future then I cannot advocate throwing him out there when the team is in complete and utter disarray as it is just for the sake of throwing things at the wall to see what sticks.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I'm not throwing this out there to hurt anyone or to start a fight but I do have something to say about the fan's right to say "we".
"We" are the reason the NFL exists, "We" are the ones that pay all of the bills, by buying tickets, paying fees, watching commercials, and building billion dollar stadiums.
So I bristle some at the notion that "we" don't have any say in what we have to watch on the field. "We" have paid for the right, in both money and emotion, to ask for better!

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I would start Keenum and let him play out the rest of the season. Mannion isn't near ready and putting him that situation just "to see what he has" isn't fair to him or the rest of the team.

If you have any hopes of developing him, throwing him out there under these conditions will do more harm than good. Let him come into OTAs & training camp and open up the job. Bring him in day one and let him know he can compete for the starter's job.

Foles is done. (For the rest of this year anyway) Mentally he is toast. I didn't have high expectations of him after seeing him in training camp. But even I didn't think he'd be this bad. He just looks lost. And unfortunately if you put Mannion in there at this point you're likely to get the same sort of "deer in the headlights" look.

Everyone who makes an evaluation of Keenum almost always says something along the lines of "he may be worse". Or he MAY NOT be any better. IMO he gives them the best chance to be competitive. His only opportunity was in less than ideal conditions. (Flacco was just as bad for much of that game). Let's put him in the dome and see what he can accomplish.

I'm not saying he's any long term solution. But he is the best they have to run out there at the moment.

I can agree with starting and playing Keenum, but I might consider promoting Mannion to #2 and getting him some reps in practice. Right now he gets virtually zero reps in practice, at least if he got a few they could get more of an idea as to what they've got without throwing him to the dogs. And I would consider putting him in games in similar situations to the one in Cincinnati when he got to play a little bit, i.e. after the other team has called off the dogs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would start Keenum and let him play out the rest of the season. Mannion isn't near ready and putting him that situation just "to see what he has" isn't fair to him or the rest of the team.

If you have any hopes of developing him, throwing him out there under these conditions will do more harm than good. Let him come into OTAs & training camp and open up the job. Bring him in day one and let him know he can compete for the starter's job.

Foles is done. (For the rest of this year anyway) Mentally he is toast. I didn't have high expectations of him after seeing him in training camp. But even I didn't think he'd be this bad. He just looks lost. And unfortunately if you put Mannion in there at this point you're likely to get the same sort of "deer in the headlights" look.

Everyone who makes an evaluation of Keenum almost always says something along the lines of "he may be worse". Or he MAY NOT be any better. IMO he gives them the best chance to be competitive. His only opportunity was in less than ideal conditions. (Flacco was just as bad for much of that game). Let's put him in the dome and see what he can accomplish.

I'm not saying he's any long term solution. But he is the best they have to run out there at the moment.

Why will it do more harm than good? He got 4 years of starting experience in college under a former NFL HC. Guys like Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Derek Carr, Blake Bortles, etc. can play as rookies and not have it wreck their careers.(and I thought Bortles definitely should have sat) What is going to happen to ruin his development?

I'll tell you this much, if he doesn't play, the Rams are going to have to go out and get a QB. And if that QB is a first round draft pick, Mannion has little hope of supplanting that guy. Only chance he has is if that QB isn't ready. But even then, he'll likely be pushed aside once that QB is unless Mannion proves to be amazing.

Not playing him hurts him a lot more than playing him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Why will it do more harm than good? He got 4 years of starting experience in college under a former NFL HC. Guys like Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Derek Carr, Blake Bortles, etc. can play as rookies and not have it wreck their careers.(and I thought Bortles definitely should have sat) What is going to happen to ruin his development?
All of those guys got a full camp with the starters and every practice of the season with the starters. I think the fact that he really hasn't developed *any* chemistry with the receivers or line would make for some bad football. But as others have already pointed out, how can it get much worse?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sometimes it takes more than a spark, we've already put in a spark and it didn't do much of anything except get him concussed.

If this guy is really the future then I cannot advocate throwing him out there when the team is in complete and utter disarray as it is just for the sake of throwing things at the wall to see what sticks.
I don't know if mannion is the future or not but i sure know that neither Keenum or Foles are either.
The qb play is atrocious right now and if he could be a spark then play him.