Rams going back to Keenum

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can see the benefit in that too. Try to win one with Mannion and get him entrenched as the starter for next year.

And if they did do that (not likely), I have to wonder what they'd do with Foles' contract next year. Pretty big hit to take while simultaneously admitting you freaked it all up by extending him in the first place. Do these guys have the humility to do that? I don't think so. Do they still think that Foles is a viable option going into next year? Probably. It's almost like they get a little bit of film where everything's going right, so they think that to get it back on track again, they simply have to get everything else going right again for the QB to look efficient again. At some point they have to try and find a QB who can do more right than wrong when things *aren't* all hunky dory out there. I get the injury problem and the O-line situation, but there were still PLENTY of plays left out on the field regardless of that situation. Having bad QB play only compounds the problem. It's not always the result of the problem.

Foles's contract is a sunk cost. I'd cut him this off-season. Mannion + a 1st round pick + possibly a FA QB.

Just watched the condensed version of the Arizona game. Cook, as usual, could not make any difficult catches and Quick was dropping passes left and right. But I agree, there were plays to be made and Foles's constant inaccuracy either made them much more difficult than they needed to be or impossible to make.

Not to mention his complete lack of composure under pressure.

BadCompany

Rookie
The problem with going with Mannion is that he was supposed to be a long term project. Two or three years, right? That was the general consensus when he was (over?)drafted in the third round? So just because the guys in front of him suck doesn't make him ready now. That would be like telling a high school kid to take some university finals because the grad students all flunked their mid-terms. Guys sucking in front of him doesn't speed up his development - it takes as a long as it takes.

Now having said that I don't know if I trust Fisher's judgement on Mannion's state of readiness. Maybe his development has been accelerated. But if the original plan or thought was that it was going to take him three years to be a starter then I don't know if it's fair to him to judge him on any starts he makes two years before that deadline. It might not be an accurate representation of his true upside.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
If the coaches thought Mannion was the guy he would have already been the starter ahead of Keenum.. But seems like the shine wore of that pair of shoes before camp was over.
They see how ineffective Foles and Keenum are, yet must feel Mannion can't exceed that level of awful.
And coaches don't care about stunting Mannion's growth. They're going to go out and get another starter next year, what message does that send?

FrankenRam

Starter
Lot's of good points both pro and con about starting Mannion but it's all pretty much moot considering who our HC is. Fisher has already shown that he'll start experience over talent all day long. I just don't see him putting in Mannion (I'm not saying he has any) for any significant playing time. I hope I'm wrong and he gets a few quarters worth of experience before the season ends.

To add to your point....

I think it also has a little to do with putting the players on the field that you (the HC) believe give you the best chance of winning....in any/every game. And that's at least as much for the other players on the team as it is to 'save your own hide', or to 'see what we have'. If I were one of the other players on the team, and saw the coach put in a rookie QB just to 'see what we have' when we're not mathematically eliminated from playoff contention, it wouldn't do my morale a whole lot of good.

I always cringe when people go off on these 'it couldn't get any worse' tirades...because..., well, yes it could. It may not, but it certainly could....as hard to believe as that may be at this point in time.

MountainRam

Rookie
Rams WRs and TEs are trash. If fisher cares about a player like he professes, he cannot let Mannion start this season. Period. If Mannion starts this year, it will the starting of end of Mannion's career. Let's not even talk about the OL and offensive play calling.

Alan

Legend
FrankenRam wielding a double edged sword:
I think it also has a little to do with putting the players on the field that you (the HC) believe give you the best chance of winning....in any/every game. And that's at least as much for the other players on the team as it is to 'save your own hide', or to 'see what we have'. If I were one of the other players on the team, and saw the coach put in a rookie QB just to 'see what we have' when we're not mathematically eliminated from playoff contention, it wouldn't do my morale a whole lot of good.
A few thoughts:
Fisher thinks experience gives us the best chance to win so like many other good sounding truisms, it depends on other things that can reduce our chances of winning. Both short and long term.
I'm not speaking from personal experience but if I was a player I'd be more concerned about the future of my team than what happens in a meaningless game after the chances of getting into the payoffs is gone. Mathematically in or not.
I also wouldn't phrase it like you did. When what your doing isn't working you're not just putting in a different player to see what we have, you're trying not to be an example of insanity. You know, the "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results" ;)

FrankenRam

Starter
A few thoughts:
You know, the "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results" ;)

Well, changing for the sake of change, or should I say...changing to avoid the appearance of insanity is equally questionable.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
A few thoughts:
Fisher thinks experience gives us the best chance to win so like many other good sounding truisms, it depends on other things that can reduce our chances of winning. Both short and long term.
I'm not speaking from personal experience but if I was a player I'd be more concerned about the future of my team than what happens in a meaningless game after the chances of getting into the payoffs is gone. Mathematically in or not.
I also wouldn't phrase it like you did. When what your doing isn't working you're not just putting in a different player to see what we have, you're trying not to be an example of insanity. You know, the "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results" ;)
Repetitions are beneficial to athletes though. While I am certainly no Case Keenum fan, and by that, I mean that I am not sure he is any better than Foles at all, he started in only one game and was concussed in that game.

If Mannion was able to start for this team with any success at all, I've no doubt that would have happened a long time ago. Because our offense has actually managed to hurt us so bad, <HYPERBOLE TAG>that in any situation we intend to pass the football I do wish we'd punt on first down to avoid the costly turnover that results in a touch down</HYPERBOLE TAG>.

Holy smokes it's ugly out there. Yesterday, I watched Foles pass on three downs in a row and all three go to double coverage, which may have been mostly double because the throws were late, and if I'm not mistaken that particular 3 and out came shortly after a previous drive that saw Gurley get a big gain. I don't know how much of that was from running from the defense and finding a lane to throw in, but it seemed like the line was blocking better.

My point, if I have one, is that we suck so bad right now that we have to focus extra-ultra-super hard on what very little we're good at, and then make small changes.

Alan

Legend
FrankenRam veering off the path:
Well, changing for the sake of change, or should I say...changing to avoid the appearance of insanity is equally questionable.
True but that's hardly applicable here is it? :LOL:

Alan

Legend
Zaphod with this:
My point, if I have one, is that we suck so bad right now that we have to focus extra-ultra-super hard on what very little we're good at, and then make small changes.
To what end? Do yo think any incremental improvement we might make this year will carry over to the next season? We don't even know whose going to be on our team with all the FAs we have.

I think you might be thinking that my statement about the definition of insanity has something to do with players getting reps. It doesn't. As for making incremental changes, that can work but again, to what end? Incremental changes in the way the Rams are playing would not make us a good team. On the other hand they might make us a better team so I see your logic but like I said, we need more improvement than that. I also think it's possible to do both at once. Plus, when you're out of contention you need to look at other things besides just getting a little better short term.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
It might just be me, but we seem to be getting a little testier with each other in this thread than normal.
:double: and :rant:
rather than
:pillowfight:

Very much like Coach Fisher, I'm also out of (helpful) answers. The only actual answers that I have aren't helpful e.g.
Is Foles the guy? No
Is Keenum the guy? No

I'm in the camp that I think "we" need to see more of Manion before the end of the year. And by "we", I mean "we" the dedicated Rams fanbase that is desperately hoping to see something encouraging to keep us coming back as fans. Maybe it's grasping at straws to think that Manion could show us something by the end of the year, but he's a coach's son, he's was (supposedly) a quick study in the pre-season. Give the kid a limited playbook (1-2 read plays), some play action max protect deep shots, if they aren't there either let him roll out and improvise or throw it away (just like Foles does every friggin' time they get him on the move).

What I know is not much, but I know that I don't want to see Foles again this year doing anything other than carrying a clipboard unless Keenum and Manion are dead.
:death:

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
As bad as the OL has been blocking, I think we will see plenty of Keenum and Mannion before the end of the year. Yes, and maybe even Jeff Garcia will get another shot.

"We" meaning those poor fans that suffer through game after game of horrors.

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
To add to your point....

I always cringe when people go off on these 'it couldn't get any worse' tirades...because..., well, yes it could. It may not, but it certainly could....as hard to believe as that may be at this point in time.
For such a crazy F**king name, you made perfect sense.