Rams finalizing trade for mark barron

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
I'm glad I'm not a Bucs fan because then guys would be calling me "Bucbros" and I'd have to smack them. :lifting:

V3

Hall of Fame
That's ok...you're entitled to have that opinion...but if you're objective there's NO WAY to say the Rams have made the best use of Tavon's skills. I would be willing to say when they just play the kid, he'll produce. Playing him in special situations as they do, simply makes the defense focus on him.
That's why I specifically said he might produce with someone else, just not Schotty. The Rams don't know what to do with him. They don't even know how to counter blitzes or make mid-game adjustments. That being said, I still don't think he'd even be that special if he was with someone that did know how to use him. He goes down too easily, doesn't know how to run routes, has questionable hands, has a tiny catch radius, has a mediocre vertical to compete for jump balls, doesn't seem very smart(backed up by poor Wonderlic, 7), and isn't physical/strong. The only things I see with him are speed and quickness. That's it. The right OC can find ways to utilize those attributes but they aren't enough to make him a special player, IMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not so sure where Mark Barron will fit this Sunday? Joyner to me would be the best deep safety in the base 4-3-4 defense lineup. When the Nickel is called then Deep safety Joyner will drop inside to the Nickle. Thus calling for strong safety TJ McDonald to drop into Joyner's role to deep safety & then allow strong safety Mark Barron to fall into his much easier role in the box.

All could depend on how all these DB injuries come into play......Gregg may get lucky where he could get one of his starting corners (Jenkins or Johnson) well enough to dressed where they may play in the limited Dime package. Still looks like it more probable that Gregg Williams will have to go into the 9ers game with two starting rookies again playing the corners.

My best hope for this Rams team this Sunday is where one of our vet cb's can play a small role in these secondary packages to permit Joyner to play deep role @ safety. TJ McDonald could just start @ deep safety post thus leaving Joyner in his Nickle starting post and Barron start @ SS but its awful quick to insert Barron as a starter but it may be the best option.

Gregg was in a fix last week with all these injuries to his secondary.....when he was forced to stay in the base defense when he would be in his Nickel & Dime packages. Thus leaving Dunbar on the field in pass coverages! Bad situation. All three starting Lb'ers were completely manhandled. Having SSLB Dunbar in coverage packages is a big big liability. Question did the Rams LB'ers ever cover any of those KC TE's passes???

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'd be kind of surprised to see Barron out there this Sunday... he is going to need some time to acclimate to a new system.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
So you have some saying one thing and others saying that he was protected in pass coverage duties by playing a Robber (whatever that is :LOL:) position. Sounds a lot like the differences between your and my positions doesn't it? I'm not so sure we'll see much of anything this season because A) we have way too many injuries to run what would be our "normal" defense and B) I have no faith in Williams (and if you remember I never did) being able to use any player correctly.
On this, I think your corners have to be disciplined, when you're letting your "robber" safety jump the pass. No two ways about it, I think that's the future of this defense with both McDonald and Barron. You won't see corners jumping routes often.

I'm just guessing that this means we will see a lot of 4-2 in attempt to cover for our current weakness at linebacker?

This is kind of a cool signing and I can't wait to see how they use him. Initially, as you say we shouldn't see too much different due to the injuries and inexperience we're fielding now. Still, you never know what was schemed and practiced for but never utilized.

Could help our run defense a lot, this guy can certainly tackle, and if he destroys Kaepernick Sunday, he's already worth the 4th and 6th pick.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm sure Barron can learn his duty on a few plays within a week. I know I'd like to see him lay the wood on Gore.

iced

I dont see how they trade a 4 for a guy who wont make the 53.

his play thus far would indicate otherwise...

and btw it's not surprising the trade happened with both mccleod and davis going down

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
his play thus far would indicate otherwise...

and btw it's not surprising the trade happened with both mccleod and davis going down
If the team was playoff caliber, I could see over paying for a rental. The Rams clearly arent, and looking down the barrel of picking top 10, that 4th rounder is pretty valuable. Stranger things have happened, but that would be a true head scratcher.

iced

If the team was playoff caliber, I could see over paying for a rental. The Rams clearly arent, and looking down the barrel of picking top 10, that 4th rounder is pretty valuable. Stranger things have happened, but that would be a true head scratcher.

Never been that high on Barron - and nor are a lot of buc fans... personally I think Mcdonald is a much better version of barron's skill set.

I really doubt he'll be a starter next year, and we're gonna want that 4th rounder ...

You could also see this as the coaching staff not having any safeties on the roster, and i wouldn't doubt they are feeling the heat as well... yea it's admirable what fisher has done - there's also the fact that 3+ years we're finishing in the bottom of the nfc west

basically, i don't think this trade is made without mccleod's injury,and he's a better fit for the scheme

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
My personal opinion is that Barron will play SS role for us and McDonald a hybrid LB/S role. I think they want to phase Dunbar out of the game-plan due to his coverage deficiencies but don't want to sacrifice our ability to stop the run. Think we'll see more 2 LB/3 S looks.

You could be right, and remember Fisher is on record saying he likes a certain kind of S and that he wants them to be interchangeable.

If they decided to take JL out on some plays instead of Dunbar that works for me because he is a HUGE liability in pass coverage.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You could be right, and remember Fisher is on record saying he likes a certain kind of S and that he wants them to be interchangeable.

If they decided to take JL out on some plays instead of Dunbar that works for me because he is a HUGE liability in pass coverage.

I will agree on JL having a bad yr, when you toss out that the Rams are paying him 10.4 million for what we have seen really cause me to pause a bit. However when your starting 4 rookies in your secondary you sure need a JL. I would also say that JL's play is much better than what we have seen from Dunbar & Ogletree so something is wrong somewhere.

With the type of safeties we now have I see no reason why we can not work our three large strong safeties ....TJ McDonald, Barron & even Alexander on the field at the same time in place of two of the base Lbers in Nickel or Dime packages.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I will agree on JL having a bad yr, when you toss out that the Rams are paying him 10.4 million for what we have seen really cause me to pause a bit. However when your starting 4 rookies in your secondary you sure need a JL. I would also say that JL's play is much better than what we have seen from Dunbar & Ogletree so something is wrong somewhere.

With the type of safeties we now have I see no reason why we can not work our three large strong safeties ....TJ McDonald, Barron & even Alexander on the field at the same time in place of two of the base Lbers in Nickel or Dime packages.

I would think we would see them in running situations since Barron is known for run defense more than pass defense.

Alan

Legend
Zaphod missing the dual nature of my post:
On this, I think your corners have to be disciplined, when you're letting your "robber" safety jump the pass. No two ways about it, I think that's the future of this defense with both McDonald and Barron. You won't see corners jumping routes often.

I'm just guessing that this means we will see a lot of 4-2 in attempt to cover for our current weakness at linebacker?

This is kind of a cool signing and I can't wait to see how they use him. Initially, as you say we shouldn't see too much different due to the injuries and inexperience we're fielding now. Still, you never know what was schemed and practiced for but never utilized.

Could help our run defense a lot, this guy can certainly tackle, and if he destroys Kaepernick Sunday, he's already worth the 4th and 6th pick.
The bolded part referring to the "robber" had to do with what an "expert" said McDonald played his last year at USC and not anything we might do on the Rams. Or at least I hope not because it was, supposedly, his bad play in that scheme which caused McD to slide so far in the draft.

As for the rest of your post, I agree that it's gonna very interesting to see how they plan to use him. Can't be any worse than what he have now right? Of course I could merely be excited because he was the #7 pick in the draft two years ago.:unsure:

jjab360

Legend
Never been that high on Barron - and nor are a lot of buc fans... personally I think Mcdonald is a much better version of barron's skill set.

I really doubt he'll be a starter next year, and we're gonna want that 4th rounder ...

You could also see this as the coaching staff not having any safeties on the roster, and i wouldn't doubt they are feeling the heat as well... yea it's admirable what fisher has done - there's also the fact that 3+ years we're finishing in the bottom of the nfc west

basically, i don't think this trade is made without mccleod's injury,and he's a better fit for the scheme
You're underestimating Barron imo, he was one of the best safeties I've ever seen at the college level when he was at Alabama. He's part of the reason why I wasn't so high on Clinton-Dix because the tape pales in comparison to how good his predecessor was. Not sure why he hasn't broken out in the NFL yet, but by all accounts it's not because he's made many bad plays, it's just because he hasn't made the explosive plays like he did in college.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The bolded part referring to the "robber" had to do with what an "expert" said McDonald played his last year at USC and not anything we might do on the Rams. Or at least I hope not because it was, supposedly, his bad play in that scheme which caused McD to slide so far in the draft.

As for the rest of your post, I agree that it's gonna very interesting to see how they plan to use him. Can't be any worse than what he have now right? Of course I could merely be excited because he was the #7 pick in the draft two years ago.:unsure:

Argh!

It was not his bad play in that position or scheme, it was that some doubted how he fit into a traditional FS/SS role in the NFL after his playing essentially a hybrid position. He led USC in tackles that year and had the most tackles of his college career IIRR. He just didn't have the true safety stats or play for them to feel comfortable with him as a safety in the NFL. It is true however that overall, that scheme didn't work for USC as a team.

ram007

Starter
My cynical side says, Rams will move down in the 1st round of 2015 draft to gain the 4th and 6th round picks they gave to Bucs in this trade. Personally, i think they keep Sam Bradford (with some restructuring of the contract to placate the masses like me), Austin Davis and Case Keenum as QBs. I think I like this plan whether Barron works or not.

If this is their thinking, they already gave up on 2014;hope that is not the case!

Alan

Legend
RamFan503 going trick or treating as a pirate this year:
Argh!

It was not his bad play in that position or scheme, it was that some doubted how he fit into a traditional FS/SS role in the NFL after his playing essentially a hybrid position. He led USC in tackles that year and had the most tackles of his college career IIRR. He just didn't have the true safety stats or play for them to feel comfortable with him as a safety in the NFL. It is true however that overall, that scheme didn't work for USC as a team.

This is what I sad in a post in the "Alexander Not Fitting the Bill?" thread:
I look at it differently Amitar. We have 5 picks plus Barron which is potentially much better than 7 picks and no Barron. Good move IMO. As was mentioned in another article, the 2015 draft doesn't look good for picking a safety, FS or SS. Now all we need is for @@RamFan503 to be right about McD's ability to be a FS and we're all set at both safety positions for the low low price of a 4th and a 6th. Doesn't get much better than that if it works.

So I'm giving you some benefit of the doubt. ;)

lockdnram21

Legend
My cynical side says, Rams will move down in the 1st round of 2015 draft to gain the 4th and 6th round picks they gave to Bucs in this trade. Personally, i think they keep Sam Bradford (with some restructuring of the contract to placate the masses like me), Austin Davis and Case Keenum as QBs. I think I like this plan whether Barron works or not.

If this is their thinking, they already gave up on 2014;hope that is not the case!
it depends where we draft at and whos there. If Winston or Mariota are on the board we gotta take them.

ram007

Starter
it depends where we draft at and whos there. If Winston or Mariota are on the board we gotta take them.

I get why a QB should be taken in first round. If QB in first round doesn't produce right away, Jeff Fisher is out of job. So he will go with known commodity in Sam for 2014. IMHO