Rams finalizing trade for mark barron

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Even if he eventually replaces McDonald I like it. Guy like that was a bad fit in Tampa 2. Get him coming downhill in a Williams scheme could be fun. 4 and 6 are kind of blah if he works out at all.

He wont replace McDonald - he might complement him though! TJ might start to drop into coverage a bit more now and play as a ball hawking playmaker type guy! (I hope!)

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
At first I thought it was Alex Barron so that's a relief...

I don't like this trade. Our season is over and we have Alexander waiting on the bench. Throw him into the fire! Worste case scenario is he costs us games but that doesn't matter at this point. Higher draft picks actually help us more. Whatever...

We came out flat vs KC and this doesn't cure that.

We've had a lot of high draft picks that haven't helped us - Barron's got potential but didn't fit a system there.

ram007

Starter
What was Mark Barrons performance before Lovie smith got to Tampa. Was he good in 2012 and 2013?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well especially at this point. It is a bit of a concern to me that the Bucs are done with him in such a short period of time. We will see.

Tampa just had a coaching change. Reports are that Barron was not happy in the cover two system, which he doesn't really fit. When new coaches take over they often jettison guys that don't fit and guys that don't want to fit.

Fisher takes on the guys with attitudes in hopes that he can win them over and harness the negative energy and funnel it into aggressive play on the field. Sometimes it works and sometimes it turns out like Armstrong.

I believe Fisher really wants fast athletic guys with speed to chase down Kap and Wilson. Barron could give them second thoughts about running after one hit. The guy who they were trying to get to do that hadn't been getting it done.

Alan

Legend
RamFan503 proving he's more than just a pretty face:
Yawn. I've beat two teams that went on to win the KC Royal and the Jack Daniels. Regional indeed. :mustache:
Intriguing. Do you deliver? :popcorn: :LOL:

While my sauce is great on all varieties of pork ribs, it only really shines when used on beef back ribs. Not much meat on those and I often can't get those at the supermarket unless I special order them but when done right, they're the best IMO (even when parboiled). Go Barron (had to add that to make sure this isn't an off topic post)! Do you serve beef ribs too?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
He also had 14 pass breakups. He has 3 this year. His 17 to date since entering the league puts him at 3rd among FS.

iced

consistently graded out as one of the weaker coverage safetys year to year

Might be a good stop gap, but i don't expect him to be make the 53 next year

fearsomefour

Legend
Tampa just had a coaching change. Reports are that Barron was not happy in the cover two system, which he doesn't really fit. When new coaches take over they often jettison guys that don't fit and guys that don't want to fit.

Fisher takes on the guys with attitudes in hopes that he can win them over and harness the negative energy and funnel it into aggressive play on the field. Sometimes it works and sometimes it turns out like Armstrong.

I believe Fisher really wants fast athletic guys with speed to chase down Kap and Wilson. Barron could give them second thoughts about running after one hit. The guy who they were trying to get to do that hadn't been getting it done.
Yeah, his skill set does not fit the cover 2 really.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
This is what Bucs fans are saying about the trade. They don't seem to upset about it.
http://www.bucschat.com/topic/37638-barron-to-rams/page-3#entry772193

Not super thrilled with this. I realize Barron wasn't living up to the potential, but he could have easily been a decent stop-gap for another year. Now we just have one more (bigger) hole to fill.
----------------------------
What ever happened to creating a system around the talent you have
----------------------------

My bad I guess they would first have to be a successful organization to have that type of mentality.
-----------------------------

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
What the gang over at PFT are saying about Mark Barron to the Rams

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/28/bucs-send-mark-barron-to-the-rams/#comments

Didnt think it was possible for our defense to get any worse…

There wont be any Barrons in the 4th or 6th rd..thats for sure. SMH
---------
Cheap young player on one of the leagues worst defenses…

Even Revis didn’t look good in Tampa…

Jameis Winston will have weapons on offense though… kinda.
---------
Never, ever draft “in the box” safeties in the top 10 of the draft. Not in today’s NFL.
--------
another alabama bust. there’s a long line.
so much for saban getting them ready for the nfl.
---------
Good get for the Rams if they didn’t go higher than a 2nd rd pick. Think the other side of the ball is the bigger issue.
---------
Harrison Smith ended up being the best Safety from that draft class.

The Minnesota Vikings never make draft mistakes.
---------
The Minnesota Vikings never make draft mistakes.

Christian Ponder.
-----------
Let the fire sale begin!
---------
Could be worse Bucbros….you could’ve traded up to get Mo Claiborne at 6 (ironically his wonderlic score).
---------
I guess in this day and age draft “busts” at safety average 90 tackles and 2 picks a year.

Barron is a solid safety and will do well in St. Louis
----------
Cheap young player on one of the leagues worst defenses…

Even Revis didn’t look good in Tampa…
---------
Huge bust. I remember this guy was supposed to be a Hall of Famer when we came out. The scouts were wrong AGAIN!
---------
“Jameis Winston will get the coach that drafts him fired in one year.”

Here’s hoping.

Sincerely,

Tampa fans.
---------
And Mark was overheard as he boarded a plane to St. Lou saying under his breath “Thank you, Lord”.
----------
I don’t know why the Bears didn’t jump on this. Their safeties are the worst in the league and it’s not even close.
----------
That should get the Rams at least to the playoffs if not further.
---------
TB is a bad team, and Lovie just does not have enough love for the Bucs. Sorry, but glad for Barron to be rid of a team with such baggage.
---------
Still young. Great pick up for the Rams. Fisher hasn’t done much with their 4th round picks in the draft anyway.
---------
I guess in this day and age draft “busts” at safety average 90 tackles and 2 picks a year.

Barron is a solid safety and will do well in St. Louis/L.A.

Never let the facts get in the way of your viewpoint eh?

“Barron, the No. 7 overall pick in 2012, has three interceptions, two sacks and 177 tackles in 37 NFL starts. This season, according to Pro Football Focus’ metrics, he’d allowed 16 catches in 23 targets for 173 yards and a 91.4 opposing quarterback rating. He had no sacks, hits, or hurries this year.”
----------
He had 88 combined tackles (solos plus assists) in each of the 2012 & 2013 seasons.

He had 2 interceptions in 2013 & 1 interception in 2012.

Those are facts.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I dont see how they trade a 4 for a guy who wont make the 53.

lockdnram21

Legend

i think there going to pick up up his contract next year. Just doesnt make sense if they dont.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Picking up Joe Barksdale seemed silly at the time, as he couldnt hack it with the Raiders. That sure worked out well. Some times a change of scenery.....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
When the Rams loose both of their free safeties to injury with both out for a bit or longer & your 4th safety is Rookie MO Alexander who missed most of OTA's, TC & some pre season due to a knee procedure & certainly not ready for starting action.....

Add in the fact that both the Rams starting CB's were not dressed because of ailing knees plus you just put your 3rd CB on IR......

Meaning that last Sunday game, by the end of the game the Rams were starting rookies @
#1-FS-Alexander-Rookie
#2-CB-Gaines-Rookie
#3-CB- Roberson-Rookie
#4-Nickle-Joyner-Rookie
#5-Dime- Thomas- Rookie

With their bench cleared of DB's ! Rams were looking at having to add another rookie injury marred,short strong safety who was a 2014 7th round draft pick to the master roster:eek:

Adding a DB like young 3 yr starting vet like Mark Barron makes good sense to me.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like what I see from a hitting standpoint. Let’s hope the hits just keep on coming!!!
sa5005803f.gif

ausmurp

Starter
Good move by the Rams, but only if we play Joyner at FS. I'm so tired of having safeties that can't cover. We can all see that Joyner, with his tackling ability, is our best coverage safety, why can't the coaches see this? Play Joyner at FS, Barron at SS, and McD at hybrid LB/SS. Our D will be much better with that combo.

RamBill

Legend
What Mark Barron brings to the Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/13118/what-mark-barron-brings-to-the-rams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- As NFL trade deadline deals go, the swap between the St. Louis Rams and Tampa Bay Buccaneers qualifies as the closest thing to a blockbuster that took place on Tuesday afternoon.

The Rams dealt a fourth- and sixth-round pick to the Bucs in exchange for safety Mark Barron, who was the Bucs' No. 7 overall pick just two years ago.

With that in mind, I asked ESPN Bucs reporter Pat Yasinskas to provide a little insight on what the Rams are getting in Barron.

Obvious question first, why didn't it work out between the Bucs and Mark Barron?

Yasinskas: Barron was not a bust by any means. He just never did the special things the previous regime thought he would. The coaching change from Greg Schiano to Lovie Smith hurt Barron's stock significantly. If Barron would have spent most of his time in the box, like Schiano wanted, things might have worked out. But new coach Lovie Smith brought in the Tampa 2, which didn't play to Barron's talents.

There was a lot of talk that Barron was miscast in Tampa Bay's defense. Do you agree with that assessment and do you think he has the upside to become a valuable piece if he's used different in St. Louis?

Yasinskas: Absolutely. Barron just wasn't fitting in Tampa Bay's new defense. But this is a guy who was a first-round pick only two years ago. He still has first-round talent and can be a big success if he's used the right way.

What are the Rams getting in terms of intangibles and leadership with Barron?

Yasinskas: Barron was a captain in college on a team that won two national championships. He knows how to win. He's not the most vocal guy, but he can lead by example. He's a hard worker with lots of talent. Put it all together and the Rams could end up with a very good player.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Well especially at this point. It is a bit of a concern to me that the Bucs are done with him in such a short period of time. We will see.
Lovie got rid of Revis too. Revis isn't looking too shabby this year. Barron just isn't a fit for Lovie's Tampa 2. Barron is a holdover from the previous regime. I think he'll do fine here.

RamBill

Legend

Quick-Hit Thoughts on Rams’ Acquisition of Mark Barron

By Anthony Stalter

http://www.101sports.com/2014/10/29/quick-hit-thoughts-rams-acquisition-mark-barron/

I usually use my weekly column space to break down the three plays that defined a Rams win or loss, but you saw the Kansas City game. It wasn’t pretty. If you want to relive that 34-7 monstrosity, then be my guest. However, just thinking of re-watching that game again (and from different angles, no less!) makes my head hurt.

So here are my quick-hit thoughts on the Rams’ decision to acquire safety Mark Barron from the Bucs in exchange for a fourth- and sixth-round pick on Tuesday at the trade deadline.

Did the Rams just trade for T.J. McDonald? As previously noted, Barron’s strengths come when he’s playing closer to the line of scrimmage, where he can make an impact defending the run. But he struggles in coverage, frequently getting himself out of position when asked to cover a lot of ground.

Barron’s attributes aren’t unlike T.J. McDonald, who delivers big hits when defending the run but who can also get lost in coverage himself.

So with Rodney McLeod currently battling a knee injury, we could potentially see both Barron and McDonald on the field together at the same time. That’s ostensibly good news for the run defense, but I shudder to think what future opposing quarterbacks Colin Kaepernick, Peyton Manning and Philip Rivers could accomplish against the Rams’ deep coverage.

The price was right. Barron was a two-time first-team All American under Nick Saban at Alabama and was viewed as one of the safer choices in the 2012 NFL draft. He was expected to be an immediate playmaker after the Bucs selected him with the No. 7 overall pick, but in 37 games he’s created just four turnovers. That said, there’s no question that his strength is defending the run, which is an area in which the Rams have struggled all season. He’s not the complete safety that some believed he’d be coming out of Alabama, but the Rams only parted with a fourth- and a sixth-rounder to acquire him from Tampa Bay. Even if he doesn’t pan out for the Rams, Les Snead bought low on a player who once had tremendous upside (and maybe still does, although the results to this point have been unsatisfactory).

What does this acquisition mean for Alexander? The Rams raised eyebrows when they selected Mo Alexander in the fourth round of May’s draft. As an in-the-box safety with limited coverage skills, Alexander is cut from the same mold as McDonald and Barron.

What’s the point in having three safeties who all do the same thing? It would be one thing if Alexander were a special teams maven, but that hasn’t been the case. Granted, the selection of Alexander and the acquisition of Barron don’t have to be mutually exclusive. After all, the drafting of Alexander shouldn’t preclude Snead or Fisher from landing a potential bargain in Barron.

It would have made zero sense for Snead or Fisher to say, “We really like the price of Barron and see him as a potential fit here in St. Louis. But we’re going to pass on a trade because, you know, Mo Alexander.”

That said, it’s entirely fair to ask why the Rams decided to draft Alexander when McDonald was already on the roster and quarterbacks Zach Mettenberger, Tom Savage, A.J. McCarron and Aaron Murray were still on the board.

How will Barron be used? This is perhaps the most intriguing question because it produces plenty of tentacles. Barron wasn’t a fit under Lovie Smith in Tampa because Smith wants his safeties to cover both deep and in man, and Barron simply doesn’t fit into that mold. So how is he a fit in St. Louis? Under Gregg Williams, the Rams have utilized a lot of single-high looks with McLeod as the deep safety. If Barron and McDonald are essentially the same player (which they are), then who plays free safety with McLeod out? Do the Rams try to get by with Barron and McDonald until McLeod returns in a few weeks? Do they ask rookie Lamarcus Joyner to play free safety considering that’s one of the many roles he served under Jeremy Pruitt at Florida State? Will they put Barron in a hybrid OLB/S role where they ask him to play on first and second downs in place of Alec Ogletree, who has had major issues defending the run? It’ll be interesting to see how creative Williams gets with Barron.