Rams Drafting A # 1 Wr - 2014

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watkins info isn't out yet. Probably hasn't weighed in quite yet. :)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Marqise Lee - 6'0"(5'11.75") 192

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Why not get both, trade down from 2 to 4 with Cleveland take Watkins, use 13 and 26 to trade up to number 5 and take Matthews.
Love the thought process here but I just don't see CLE giving up both first rounders to move up 2 slots. IMO, that trade is more likely to be for #4, #36 and a 2015 1st rounder.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love the thought process here but I just don't see CLE giving up both first rounders to move up 2 slots. IMO, that trade is more likely to be for #4, #36 and a 2015 1st rounder.

Honestly, if anything, BRF, they're giving up more in the 2nd deal. Odds are significantly higher that the 2015 1st is higher than Pick #26(2014 1st).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I have to say is... If Dorial Green-Beckham were in this draft...

DGB is nice but I'd pop a huge boner if Amari Cooper were in this draft. Because he'd be there for the taking at pick #13 and imo, he could very well emerge as a better version of Sammy Watkins next year. Think that kid has unreal ability. Basically, a shorter Julio Jones.

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Honestly, if anything, BRF, they're giving up more in the 2nd deal. Odds are significantly higher that the 2015 1st is higher than Pick #26(2014 1st).
You could very well be right on that 2015 being higher than 26, but it has always been my understanding that in taking a future pick it is devalued by one round, so 1st next year is valued the same as a 2nd this year.

4 and 35 would be worth 2,350, next years first is reduced to 31% of current value so is worth 558, a total of 2,908 their 4 and 26 are worth 2,500.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You could very well be right on that 2015 being higher than 26, but it has always been my understanding that in taking a future pick it is devalued by one round, so 1st next year is valued the same as a 2nd this year.

I don't think it's ever truly that simple. You're still getting a first rounder. It's devalued a tad because you have to wait to use it and there's uncertainty about the future draft but I never bought into the devalued by a round.

Because come 2015, lets say the Browns finish like 7-9...you're still picking #13.

I mean look at the Redskins. Gave up the #2 pick in this draft in 2011. By that sort of method, you're valuing our #2 pick as the 2nd pick of the 3rd round. But here we are in 2014 looking at guys like Clowney, Matthews, Watkins, Robinson, etc. Those aren't 3rd round prospects. So is it really a realistic valuation?

I'm not trying to attack you or anything, I know this is typically how it's framed by the media and such. I'm just saying I don't really agree with it.

I hope that made some sense. It sounded more logical in my head. :)

I don't think it's ever truly that simple. You're still getting a first rounder. It's devalued a tad because you have to wait to use it and there's uncertainty about the future draft but I never bought into the devalued by a round.

Because come 2015, lets say the Browns finish like 7-9...you're still picking #13.

I mean look at the Redskins. Gave up the #2 pick in this draft in 2011. By that sort of method, you're valuing our #2 pick as the 2nd pick of the 3rd round. But here we are in 2014 looking at guys like Clowney, Matthews, Watkins, Robinson, etc. Those aren't 3rd round prospects. So is it really a realistic valuation?

I'm not trying to attack you or anything, I know this is typically how it's framed by the media and such. I'm just saying I don't really agree with it.

I think it depends on how long you have as a coach, Snead and Fisher knew that baring an absolute disaster they'd both be here in 3 years time so a 2014 1st round pick was just as valuable as a 2012 first round pick, arguably more so as they'd be in win now mode by 2014. For Mike Shanahan a 2014 first round pick would be worth a lot less as if he didn't start winning he'd be out of a job by 2014, and now that he is the 2014 pick has 0 value to him. I still like the 31% of current value rule, but you can set it however you want depending on circumstance.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Just thought I'd post, Mike Evans checked in at 6'5"(6'4.75") 231 at the combine today.

Cool! I'm really interested in his 40 time. I sure haven't given up on Clowney, either. This is very exciting!

Keep an ear out for how tall Watkins measures in at. It's a standing debate around here...

If he's 6" 2", that may win a couple battles for me.

A55VA6

Legend
Draft Watkins or draft another position. He's the only WR i'm really interested in at this point.

A55VA6

Legend
Cool! I'm really interested in his 40 time. I sure haven't given up on Clowney, either. This is very exciting!

Keep an ear out for how tall Watkins measures in at. It's a standing debate around here...

If he's 6" 2", that may win a couple battles for me.
Watkins measured 6'0" and 3/4. Just a shade under 6'1"

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
4 and 35 would be worth 2,350, next years first is reduced to 31% of current value so is worth 558, a total of 2,908 their 4 and 26 are worth 2,500.
Point taken. I did not take the time to do the math. If I'm CLE though, I have a hard time parting with both of those 1sts. I guess all comes down to how badly they want "their guy".

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig

Didn't take it as an attack at all! Also, I respect your opinion and completely understand your logic here. My only objection is in the uncertainty of the future pick. I think it's highly unlikely that CLE picks lower than 26 in 2015 but I also thought the 1st rounder we got from WAS last year would have been much higher that 22.

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
IMO I would choose to trade our pick and drop back couple spots and pick up a O-line be it Matthews or Robinson. Like the saying goes "It starts up front". If we can't protect our QB or open holes for the RB it will be useless. Especially, in our division who have very good front seven on all teams. I know a O-line isn't a sexy pick, but without them the offense is useless.