Rams Drafting A # 1 Wr - 2014

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Watkins measured 6'0" and 3/4. Just a shade under 6'1"

He's the same height as Givens, pretty much.

Hmmm...

I like Clowney and Watkins equally, now.

OL STILL be darned, though. (Until later in the draft, of course.)

VARAMS

UDFA
Name
Dano
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
IMO I would choose to trade our pick and drop back couple spots and pick up a O-line be it Matthews or Robinson. Like the saying goes "It starts up front". If we can't protect our QB or open holes for the RB it will be useless. Especially, in our division who have very good front seven on all teams. I know a O-line isn't a sexy pick, but without them the offense is useless.
Rams need to treat a 1.2 as "BLUE CHIP" - most talented player available. That means we didn't get a trade for 1.2 so they better draft for long term impact not short term need. I think the best 2 long term impact players are Jadeveon Clowney and Sammy Watkins. Do they need them now - maybe not but will it pay off in a couple years - when Chris Long regresses and none of current WRs step up to a #1 fo to receiver - absolutely. If we trade 1.2 - different strategy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it depends on how long you have as a coach, Snead and Fisher knew that baring an absolute disaster they'd both be here in 3 years time so a 2014 1st round pick was just as valuable as a 2012 first round pick, arguably more so as they'd be in win now mode by 2014. For Mike Shanahan a 2014 first round pick would be worth a lot less as if he didn't start winning he'd be out of a job by 2014, and now that he is the 2014 pick has 0 value to him. I still like the 31% of current value rule, but you can set it however you want depending on circumstance.

It would be more rule of the thumb for me. I think I'd avoid assigning a concrete value to them.

For example, Atlanta's 2015 1st would be devalued greater for me than Cleveland's just based on their recent history.

RamsFan14

Starter
DGB is nice but I'd pop a huge boner if Amari Cooper were in this draft. Because he'd be there for the taking at pick #13 and imo, he could very well emerge as a better version of Sammy Watkins next year. Think that kid has unreal ability. Basically, a shorter Julio Jones.

Dorial Green-Beckham might be the closest prospect to Calvin Johnson we've seen since he's been drafted. This is where I would try and trade with a team who we don't think will be good next year (or for awhile). Obviously that's not easy to predict, but if we were to somehow... SOMEHOW get a top pick again like this year and Beckham were to come out... No way you pass on him. Even if we draft a WR in the first round this year, I couldn't imagine we pass on a talent like him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dorial Green-Beckham might be the closest prospect to Calvin Johnson we've seen since he's been drafted. This is where I would try and trade with a team who we don't think will be good next year (or for awhile). Obviously that's not easy to predict, but if we were to somehow... SOMEHOW get a top pick again like this year and Beckham were to come out... No way you pass on him. Even if we draft a WR in the first round this year, I couldn't imagine we pass on a talent like him.

In terms of physical talent, yes. But he hasn't put it together and dominated yet in a Calvin sort of way.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

I disagree with one part, and thats if we take DGB if we draft a WR this year. I think if we draft Watkins, a first round WR again, we do not go for a WR early again. If we do pass on grabbing a WR early in this draft(Watkins, Evans) then I could see us trying to get DGB regardless if we grab a WR in the 2nd or beyond. I would love to have DGB. I would take him over Watkins if he was in this draft.

jjab360

Legend
Physically, I wanna see what Benjamin runs in the 40 in a couple days. DGB might have the height and speed, but he doesn't have the bulk of those two guys, and I doubt he'd be able to maintain the speed if he packed on another 15-20 lbs. Too bad Benjamin needs to work on his hands and consistency, or I'd be banging the table for that guy.

RamsFan14

Starter
jrry32 - I agree, he does need to put it together. But he does have all the tools to be a great WR. Idk if his production is a product of him struggling or the scheme, but yes there is no questioning his physical talent.

Tron - I respectfully disagree 100% (on idea we won't draft Beckham if we take Watkins this year). Now Green-Beckham still has to prove he can play at a high level, so lets just pretend he does for the sake of the argument. I say you go Detroit Lions (yes sounds sad) because you can't pass on a Calvin Johnson type player, he will change the way you play offense. Imagine if the Lions had said what you said when it comes to drafting Johnson, they had first round picks invested on other WRs already. It's just Johnson brings way more to the table then Roy Williams did at the time (back then he was good, idk what happened to him, he just faded badly) and Mike Williams, and I believe Beckham will command the same level of attention as Johnson... I can't imagine what the Lions would be going through with there offense if they didn't have a dominant player like Johnson, he's one of the most dominant player at any position in the league. Beckham has a lot to prove, but his talent level is beyond crazy! This is a pass happy league, and drafting a player of his caliber would change our team SO MUCH, even if Austin and Watkins are on our team. JMO. Obviously a lot has to happen before we really discuss such a scenario... But it would be a scenario I would gladly defend IF it were to happen. :D

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Tron - I respectfully disagree 100% (on idea we won't draft Beckham if we take Watkins this year). Now Green-Beckham still has to prove he can play at a high level, so lets just pretend he does for the sake of the argument. I say you go Detroit Lions (yes sounds sad) because you can't pass on a Calvin Johnson type player, he will change the way you play offense. Imagine if the Lions had said what you said when it comes to drafting Johnson, they had first round picks invested on other WRs already. It's just Johnson brings way more to the table then Roy Williams did at the time (back then he was good, idk what happened to him, he just faded badly) and Mike Williams, and I believe Beckham will command the same level of attention as Johnson... I can't imagine what the Lions would be going through with there offense if they didn't have a dominant player like Johnson, he's one of the most dominant player at any position in the league. Beckham has a lot to prove, but his talent level is beyond crazy! This is a pass happy league, and drafting a player of his caliber would change our team SO MUCH, even if Austin and Watkins are on our team. JMO. Obviously a lot has to happen before we really discuss such a scenario... But it would be a scenario I would gladly defend IF it were to happen. :D

The difference is that the Lions didn't have to trade up to grab him. Unless we suck ass next year or make a trade in which we grab another 1st rounder we will have to trade up big time and trade away multiple high round picks to grab him. Just hard to imagine Fisher doing that after grabbing two wide receivers in the top ten two years in a row prior. 3 years of top ten WR's is just hard to imagine for a Fisher team, especially if we have to trade up again and give up the farm this time.

Now I won't say that I wouldnt love the idea of having a starting WR corp of Austin, Watkins and DGB, that would be completely insane and awesome and would make up the best starting WR corp in the league for a decade lol. I just find it hard to believe to come to fruition.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
... a starting WR corp of Austin, Watkins and DGB, that would be completely insane and awesome and would make up the best starting WR corp in the league for a decade lol.
Going a tad too far, no? Austin had a decent enough first season and the other two have yet to play a down in the NFL.

Now, if you added the word "potentially" to that sentence...

:whistle:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Going a tad too far, no? Austin had a decent enough first season and the other two have yet to play a down in the NFL.

Now, if you added the word "potentially" to that sentence...

:whistle:

lol of course I meant Potentially. Sorry if i stated it as a fact. Was not my intention.

The potential of Austin, Watkins and DGB all on the field at the same time is orgasmic(in relation to football) lol

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
jrry32 - I agree, he does need to put it together. But he does have all the tools to be a great WR. Idk if his production is a product of him struggling or the scheme, but yes there is no questioning his physical talent.

He definitely has the tools. Still, I love Amari Cooper. That kid is such a talent. I hope DGB overshadows him next year because boy do I like Cooper. IMO, he's a 6'1" Julio Jones.

Freshman highlights

cooper%60.gif

99 yard TD from Auburn game this year...look at that double move...

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
He definitely has the tools. Still, I love Amari Cooper. That kid is such a talent. I hope DGB overshadows him next year because boy do I like Cooper. IMO, he's a 6'1" Julio Jones.

Freshman highlights

cooper%60.gif

99 yard TD from Auburn game this year...look at that double move...

That is an amazing double move. One of the best I have seen, sells it better then many Pro's would. Does it with speed an Physicality as well which is a huge +. Have watched that gif for almost 5 minutes straight now lol. Have to agree he does look like a 6'1 Jones. He is a stud. He seems very physical from his highlights. Which is awesome. He also seems to have amazing hands, especially in a jump ball situation.

This is all based off the highlight vid, So still hard to gauge, but from the vid, he is a stud. His route running and ability to find the ball in the air seem amazing so far. Dont even care about his 40 time, he is gifted to say the least.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That is an amazing double move. One of the best I have seen, sells it better then many Pro's would. Does it with speed an Physicality as well which is a huge +. Have watched that gif for almost 5 minutes straight now lol. Have to agree he does look like a 6'1 Jones. He is a stud. He seems very physical from his highlights. Which is awesome.

Oh yea. I'm not easy to impress for a WR. Really fell in love with his game as a freshman. Had some injury issues like Watkins and Julio did as a sophomore and it contributed to a down year but I think he'll bounce back next year. Alabama's passing game doesn't really inflate numbers but Cooper will be a major NFL prospect. 6'1" 205 with 4.3 speed, breaks tackles after the catch, fluid, physical and can high-point the ball in traffic.

Exciting player. I wish he was eligible this year. He'd be a true steal because Watkins and Evans would probably get more hype due to Cooper's down sophomore year. He would be an amazing pick at #13. Alas...gotta wait until next year. :cry:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Oh yea. I'm not easy to impress for a WR. Really fell in love with his game as a freshman. Had some injury issues like Watkins and Julio did as a sophomore and it contributed to a down year but I think he'll bounce back next year. Alabama's passing game doesn't really inflate numbers but Cooper will be a major NFL prospect. 6'1" 205 with 4.3 speed, breaks tackles after the catch, fluid, physical and can high-point the ball in traffic.

Exciting player. I wish he was eligible this year. He'd be a true steal because Watkins and Evans would probably get more hype due to Cooper's down sophomore year. He would be an amazing pick at #13. Alas...gotta wait until next year. :cry:

After watching just his highlights, I would take him over Watkins(which is not an easy thing for me to say). Cooper runs routes as easy as taking a piss in the bathroom. His route running and cuts and moves are amazing. Every move he makes seems more natural than Watkins, whether it be running a route or a jump ball or catching a pass while wide open.

In all honesty, from just his highlights(which I hate basing players on), He is a stronger Holt....Now if that isn't a compliment I don't know what is. Will definitely have to watch game tape of him tomorrow to get a better feel for him. Does he really run a 4.3? He definitely plays like it.

Still watching that gif, don't see that kind of ability in college players now a days.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After watching just his highlights, I would take him over Watkins(which is not an easy thing for me to say). Cooper runs routes as easy as taking a pee pee in the bathroom. His route running and cuts and moves are amazing. Every move he makes seems more natural than Watkins, whether it be running a route or a jump ball or catching a pass while wide open.

In all honesty, from just his highlights(which I hate basing players on), He is a stronger Holt....Now if that isn't a compliment I don't know what is. Will definitely have to watch game tape of him tomorrow to get a better feel for him. Does he really run a 4.3? He definitely plays like it.

Still watching that gif, don't see that kind of ability in college players now a days.

He'll be on the borderline if he doesn't. He's in that same range of speed with guys like Chris Givens, Julio Jones, Torrey Smith, etc. If he doesn't run a 4.38 or 4.39, he'll be right around a 4.40 to 4.43.

He's got speed to burn. McCarron underutilized that speed because he doesn't throw an accurate deep ball.

He had some concentration drops this year but Julio had the same issue as a sophomore. I don't see it being a major issue with how well/naturally he catches the football.