Rams DE Aaron Donald has proven his point, now it's time to stop holding out

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, starting next year though. Or they could tear up the current deal give him a 3M raise this year then add the big money next year and beyond. That caveat hear is Donald is under contract, he is signed and technically if the Rams were real ball busters they could franchise him for 2 years, essentially having him under contract for 4 years.

The way I see it, Donald under his current deal and getting franchised twice Donald is in line to make around 50M over the next 4 years.

What is in it for the Rams to extend him? What does Donald really want. Would he take 4 Yrs 50M all guarenteed? Is he looking for security, or a record/scoreboard type contract?

I know I am going off the rails here lol, but the Rams IMO are doing the right thing today. They should wait till next year to address this. They have no money this year and they have all the leverage.
Couldn't Demoff structure some guaranteed deal where he received a slightly more this year, but then was scheduled to receive a balloon payment next year, with it being like a 5 year total?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Couldn't Demoff structure some guaranteed deal where he received a slightly more this year, but then was scheduled to receive a balloon payment next year, with it being like a 5 year total?

I would guess yes. Way above my pay grade though lol. But, I would think they could, it would make sense. Of course it would impede any chance of signing any player, say for example a DE gets hurt and you need to sign a depth player lol

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course, they dont have to take the hit this year. Cap room is not preventing Donald from being signed.
AD feels he's outplayed his contract and deserves a raise. The Rams feel he's outplayed his contract and deserves a raise. So the "he's under contract for 2 more years" stuff is out the window.
So far, neither side is being bitter, or trashing the other. So I wont cast aspersions on either side until we know what financial expectations are being requested

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
We had Jerome Bettis and traded him
We had Eric Dickerson and traded him
We had Janoris and let him walk

I just hope we get it right this time and just break the fucking cycle of loss

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course, they dont have to take the hit this year. Cap room is not preventing Donald from being signed.
AD feels he's outplayed his contract and deserves a raise. The Rams feel he's outplayed his contract and deserves a raise. So the "he's under contract for 2 more years" stuff is out the window.
So far, neither side is being bitter, or trashing the other. So I wont cast aspersions on either side until we know what financial expectations are being requested
But in my scenario, his raise this year would just be added to higher salary next year. He'd still get it when there is room under the cap(?)

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hey old guys, didn't Orlando Pace do this "hold out" act to get out of training camp?

FRO

Legend
We had Jerome Bettis and traded him
We had Eric Dickerson and traded him
We had Janoris and let him walk

I just hope we get it right this time and just break the freaking cycle of loss
While I have a hard time paying over 20 million for a non QB, I have to agree with your premise. It's time to start keeping the good players (in Donald's case historically great). They went cheap on their secondary and lost 3/4 of their quality young starters. Then they throw tons of money at Austin who hasn't proven anything outside of a few glimmers of hope. The cap mismanagement has crippled this team.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But in my scenario, his raise this year would just be added to higher salary next year. He'd still get it when there is room under the cap(?)
He'd get the money this year in the form of a signing bonus or what not.
I'm no cap expert but I've seen various ways the cap this year does not have to be challenged in order to pay him now.
I'm sure @flv can help me out here....

FRO

Legend
We signed Tavon though lol.
And the Tavon signing sets the table for a Donald holdout with 2 years left on the deal. They set a precedent of locking guys up early, only problem is they paid Austin like a star when he hasn't come close to producing at that level.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
And the Tavon signing sets the table for a Donald holdout with 2 years left on the deal. They set a precedent of locking guys up early, only problem is they paid Austin like a star when he hasn't come close to producing at that level.

I get what you are saying but I wouldnt say they set a precedent of locking guys up....he is the only one really.

I have been saying for years the Rams have done a poor job of managing the cap and AD, Tru, Austin, Jenkins are recent examples.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
What do you got to say about this Kevin?
Rams-VP-Kevin-Demoff.jpg
ahhhhhhhhhhh.

Yeah. If anything this guy needs to be on the hottest seat of seats.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I think they can sign him somehow that he gets the signing bonus now, but the cap hits don't start until next year aka an extension.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow. I can't believe I saw fans saying we should trade Donald. Quite a few years ago, the Colts had an elite player who held out. They took it personally. They traded him to the Rams for draft picks. I bet you the Colts regretted trading NFL MVP and HOFer, Marshall Faulk, for chump change.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I would agree.

I would not.

Tavon earned his after his best season and that he's an all-around good player that can score in 3 different ways.

They chose to lock up consistent guys like Michael Brockers, Robert Quinn (injuries aside), and Greg Zuerlein.

I see people are still harping on Janoris. Well again, for the umpteeth time, that dude WANTED to test the FA for the PAYDAY. Which, I don't blame him and he has every right to do so, but many on this board were lauding the team for not signing him. I recall many a post saying that his 2015 year was only b/c it was his contract season, he was too inconsistent, took too many gambles, and questioning his character. Trumaine is on the same boat. Inconsistent and I understand why the Rams want to pay him what they think he's worth. If that means doing the tag thing, and ensuring decent CB play for one year, so be it.

Imagine if they signed JJ, TJ (Johnson) to the mega deals they wanted, how hard this AD contract would be. Keeping in mind they still have to worry about Alec Ogletree, Maurice Alexander, Lamarcus Joyner (maybe), and then a few years later Todd Gurely and Jared Goff. They won't be able to keep everybody.

I think the Rams are playing it smart. They know AD deserves it, but it's not that simple.

Having said all that, I ain't worried. I've seen this story played out before. Every player is gonna end up reporting and getting their deals.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I would not.

Tavon earned his after his best season and that he's an all-around good player that can score in 3 different ways.

They chose to lock up consistent guys like Michael Brockers, Robert Quinn (injuries aside), and Greg Zuerlein.

I see people are still harping on Janoris. Well again, for the umpteeth time, that dude WANTED to test the FA for the PAYDAY. Which, I don't blame him and he has every right to do so, but many on this board were lauding the team for not signing him. I recall many a post saying that his 2015 year was only b/c it was his contract season, he was too inconsistent, took too many gambles, and questioning his character. Trumaine is on the same boat. Inconsistent and I understand why the Rams want to pay him what they think he's worth. If that means doing the tag thing, and ensuring decent CB play for one year, so be it.

Imagine if they signed JJ, TJ (Johnson) to the mega deals they wanted, how hard this AD contract would be. Keeping in mind they still have to worry about Alec Ogletree, Maurice Alexander, Lamarcus Joyner (maybe), and then a few years later Todd Gurely and Jared Goff. They won't be able to keep everybody.

I think the Rams are playing it smart. They know AD deserves it, but it's not that simple.

Having said all that, I ain't worried. I've seen this story played out before. Every player is gonna end up reporting and getting their deals.

Tavon earned?! I agree he is a "good" all around player, the issue is he is being paid like a great player. Sorry I dont pay a WR who has never caught 60 passes in 4 years and once went over 500 yards to the tune of 504 yards that kind of money. I mean Britt didnt get as much money and had double the production. He is getting paid more than Cobb, Nelson, Edelman, Garcon, Jeffrey to name a few. Horrible sign IMO.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I would not.

Agreed on everything except Tavon deserving it. I'll give him the benefit of a doubt that he'll live up to his contract now that he has good scheming/coaching on offense

As for Donald, dude better realize that missing reps in training camp might have him step down a notch; improving or playing your production as is will still land him that desirable, if not, better deal

FRO

Legend
I would not.

Tavon did not earn his money. Not even close. I was a huge advocate of drafting him, but all he has amounted to is a modern day Dante Hall.

The Rams have locked up some nice players. They have also let some very nice young players go all while being a team that hasn't had a winning season in the Demoff/Snead era. I think it's pretty fair to question personnel and cap decisions seeing that the team can't afford their best player.