Rams DE Aaron Donald has proven his point, now it's time to stop holding out

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Tavon did not earn his money. Not even close. I was a huge advocate of drafting him, but all he has amounted to is a modern day Dante Hall.

Dante Hall was a pure return man. He never has sniffed the amount of additional production that Tavon has had on offense. He earned it after 2015, his best season.

The Rams have locked up some nice players. They have also let some very nice young players go all while being a team that hasn't had a winning season in the Demoff/Snead era.

Sounds like the norm for all teams.

I think it's pretty fair to question personnel and cap decisions seeing that the team can't afford their best player.

Again, I don't. Besides, how do you know they can't "afford" AD? With the additional players I mentioned, they have a lot of work to do. The AD signing (it will happen), is gonna affect all decisions in the immediate future so they have to be smart about it. You're not signing some middle of the road FA here. Its gonna be a "yuge" deal, for a HoF player, and it's not as simple as signing him tomorrow and calling it a day.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't be crazy here...The Ram's doing that is contractual, agreed to by the Players Association/Union by signing the last CBA. Point to what Donald as doing as being contractually allowed?
Donald: "I've made millions and it's not enough...let me break the rules"
Rams: "We'd be crazy not do what's allowed in the contract (5th year)...Thanks Players Association!"

btw: please point to the part in the CBA that permits Donald to hold out because he doesn't want to follow the agreement that he signed without consequence?

It would be good for Donald to earn a lot more than he does now, because he has played at a Hall of Fame level, imo. But it is not required...it's a gift.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seriously, if he wants to hold out because of this, have fun at home.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would love to have them both as well. Sadly, one of them is not in camp right now. I would love to have Donald on a long term contract that pays him appropriately to the situation.

That's the nature of a holdout. Donald isn't the first or last guy to hold out.

But let's be real here, Donald hasn't helped the W column the last 3 years, not much anyway.

How would you know? He's been a durable player. You have no idea how not having him would have affected our W-L record.

You always say that the team's success, every team's success, relies on having a good or better QB (paraphrased for my convenience). I've never heard you or anyone say that about DT or DE. If it becomes necessary, yes we can do without him. If he really intends to sit out actual game over this, trading might be a good option. Might be. It's something to look into, not ignore because we're being emotionally attached to players and the media talking about how great he is (even when it's not really helping).

You don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

QB is the most important position on the field. After that, pass rushers are next. Aaron Donald is an elite pass rusher.

Donald is great. I never want him to leave. But the team always comes first. If his huge contract keeps us from signing other good players, or encourages a key player to sit out because "hey, Donald got a huge contract, and I affect the game more than him" then yeah, keeping him might be a problem and we need to look at every solution to that problem. Not bury our heads in the sand and whisper "Hall of Fame player" to ourselves while the team continues to suck.

We going to get rid of every other player who also asks for a big contract? Does that sound like intelligent team-building to you? Is that how teams win? They refuse to retain their own talent?

If you can't justify giving arguably the best defensive player in the NFL a huge contract, you can't justify giving anyone else (except maybe a franchise QB) a huge contract. Pay the man.

How many players have signed huge contacts like we're expecting for him and either a) they continued to play at the previous level, or b) the team continues to have success. Bonus points if there's an example of both in the same player. Penalty if you mention the Patriots who clearly don't count on any category because they win no matter what and they cheat every (possibly every other) year.

You'd be better off asking how many elite players were traded or allowed to hit FA. That's much more rare than paying an elite player. There are a lot of examples out there. The easiest example is Ray Lewis. If you want a few more examples, how about Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Geno Atkins, Patrick Willis, Von Miller, etc. That's without naming any QBs. I'm sure if I looked further back in time, the list continues to grow with each span of years.

Paying your elite player is the norm.

Frankly, we're just not going to ever agree here. You'll never get me to accept that trading Donald is the right or even an acceptable decision.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
hen you look at the other side of the coin, how do the Rams improve when Donald takes a large portion of the salary cap? This roster still has holes all over it.

It's not like they're going to give Donald $50 million per year. The Rams will be fine if they give him a big contract. Plenty of other teams find a way to pay their elite defensive players $15 million to $19 million per year.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

After seeing the way teams treat players that have been injured, pushing them out the door as fast as they can, how can anybody speak poorly of Donald? He sees what happens, why should he risk a huge payday to honour an awful contract he had no choice but to sign when he was drafted?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Need to see how he performs in this defense first.

Pay the man. We have Wade Phillips as our DC, not Rob Boras. You'd have to be one hell of an incompetent DC to keep Donald from performing.

Although, based on Boras's ability to keep points off the board, he might be an elite DC.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
AD should least get to the facility take part in meetings .. strengh and conditioning stuff ...just avoid the rough stuff

im not taking sides ,,, but im not going to bash the rams for not getting it done..at least not until i know whats been put on the table

rams: Aaron we wanna make you the highest paid defender in the league we are gonna give you 120mill a year for 6 years 80 guaranteed..sign there my man
AD : i was kinda thinking i want 130mil 4 years 90 guaranteed

hypothetcial time : what kinda trade deal would it take for you let AD go if it came down to it

WvuIN02

Starter
Pay the man. We have Wade Phillips as our DC, not Rob Boras. You'd have to be one hell of an incompetent DC to keep Donald from performing.

Although, based on Boras's ability to keep points off the board, he might be an elite DC.
Eh, it depends what hes asking for. Hopefully hes not being willfully stupid like LeVeon Bell is being right now and asking for unrealistic money.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
hypothetcial time : what kinda trade deal would it take for you let AD go if it came down to it

I'm not accepting a deal unless I get an elite player in return.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
and elite player AND a 1st rounder.......but I'd still rather have the HOFer...

Yep. That was my starting point. Gotta get an elite player to start. I'd want more than that if the elite player isn't Donald good.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep. That was my starting point. Gotta get an elite player to start. I'd want more than that if the elite player isn't Donald good.
AJ Watt is the only guy that's "Donald" good, and Donald has never been injured like Watt.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Rams DE Aaron Donald has proven his point, now it's time to stop holding out

227364_d16afdac0b7c4205b80f6e77179e622e~mv2.webp

Okay, Aaron, you win. You have shown the Rams that you are for real in your demands for a new contract. However, now it's time for you to re-appear in the spotlight and get to work. After all, you have a huge season upcoming for you in 2017.

Look, I get the "Pay the Man" ideology, but it's officially going into the Rams first preseason game of 2017 and the Rams top player is still nowhere to be found. If you had told me or anyone for that matter three years ago that Donald would be holding out of training camp. Well, you may have thought about that and just shook your head. You may have even said "Aaron Donald would never do something like that. He's all about the team, he's the ultimate teammate." However, three years later, Donald is, in fact, holding out and it's become quite a bit of an issue.

This holdout is drawing mainstream media attention, it's causing crowds to pour into Rams training camp with "Pay the Man" signs and shirts as well as even chants. Donald is, in fact, the best defensive player in the league per this writer's opinion and many others. He's also, however, one of the more humble baby faced fan favorites in the league. So why the sudden change into the look of a borderline selfish player? Money talks for sure, but so do teammates. While Donald was holding out, his teammate and friend Dominique Easley went down with a torn ACL. Sure, Donald was likely there for support and likely texted him or called him about it. However, he wasn't there when it happened and he's not there now.

This may sound like I am dogging on Donald and while it might be true, it's important to keep in mind we all love Donald. It's also important to keep in mind you can love someone and criticize them when they are in the wrong. Donald is officially in the wrong. If this holdout didn't hit fans before, the new depth chart showcasing a starting lineup without Donald really put the nail in the coffin. It makes fans question the big key phrase or mantra of the year for the Rams "We Not Me'. Well, I'm no football player or coach, but something tells me that Donald's actions aren't very "we" and more along the lines of "me". Something I really never thought would be possible for Donald, but it goes to show you how much power these player agents have over the players.

You might be thinking to yourself, "How do you know Donald wants to be there and it's all his agent's doing?" Glad you asked, teammate and Rams DT Michael Brockers told the media that Donald wants to be back and it's killing him. Now, before your mind goes wandering off and you imagine what a holdout looks like, it's important to keep in mind this is Donald we are talking about. An Aaron Donald hold out is 100% guaranteed to incorporate workouts, training, and other activities to keep him in tip-top shape. That's the one positive with Donald and his holdout. You know it's Donald, so you know he's not going to come back out of shape.

I think the overall biggest aspect of this whole situation being missed is that Donald is missing out on the opportunity to get acclimated with defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, his new defense, and the new scheme. The Rams are running a new defense which is basically a 3-4 base and Donald is now technically playing a different position as last year. Regardless of all of that, Donald is missing valuable time and repetitions to create chemistry with the new players on defense. The Rams, after all, let T.J. McDonald go and traded away William Hayes. Besides that, the Rams also brought in new starters Connor Barwin and Kayvon Webster. Donald needs to be out there sooner than later installing that chemistry early on.

It wouldn't have likely been a huge deal if Donald held out next year, but the fact is this. The Rams are trying to install a new look, new coaching staff, new scheme and new culture. What Donald is doing jeopardizes all of that. Think about it, doesn't it set a bad precedent to the rest of the team if the new culture driven coaching staff shows Donald it's no big deal to sit out of training camp while the other 89 teammates of yours are out there on the practice field. It actually is a bad look if you look back at the things we heard about former Rams HC Jeff Fisher having "favorites" and not allowing competition and being lenient on the big names only. If you don't hold everyone to the same standard then is it really much of a culture? Is it really We Not Me? It sounds more like We and sometimes Me.

Aaron Donald is a transcendent player through and through. This is not a knock on him as a person, but more a knock on his decision this off-season. We know Donald will be back before the first game of the season, but what we don't know is when. If he refuses to report back to the Rams until the deal is closed then it's likely going to be right before the season. My thoughts are around when Tavon Austin and Michael Brockers were given deals last summer. We all want Donald to get paid, but similar to last season with Austin and Brockers, there is a time and a place for everything.

Not giving general manager Les Snead a pass or anything, but the Rams need to attend to other matters first. Donald may not see the "We" in this, but for the Rams sake, it makes sense to lock up Alec Ogletree and LaMarcus Joyner before anything. Why do I say that? Both of those players will be gone after this season if the Rams do not extend them. Ogletree is an absolute must as he plays one of the most vital positions in football, inside linebacker. Donald with all due respect has to know the Rams have to figure out a way to pay him the massive amount of money he deserves while also fitting in the rest of the team and their future moving forward.

Donald's deal is going to be a lot of money for the Rams to swallow, but they will have to in due time. Right now though Donald needs to go back on the field like fellow transcendent 2014 draft class superstar Odell Beckham Jr. It really doesn't help Donald's cause that OBJ, who is practically in the same boat as Donald, is not holding out and is in fact at camp getting ready for the 2017 season. The Rams went 4-12 last season in what was literally a worst case scenario. The Rams cannot afford to have Donald miss the preseason preparation going into the 2017 season.

He's risking too much in future earnings to risk it. If it was that big of a deal to the Rams then they could take out a policy in his name to indemnify him in case of career ending or altering injury.

WvuIN02

Starter
Change from a 4-3 to a 3-4 will be different, and don't get me wrong I love AD but I'm not convinced hes JJ Watt just yet who can do everything. Hes still under his rookie contract, tough youknowwhat. Thats what the CBA is for and what the players agreed to.

And you can absolutely let players go who ask for too much. Good teams do it every.....single......year. When you stop sucking at drafting and have a competent scouting department, this is how things play out and you cant pay everyone. You get what you can, rebuild and reload.

Everyone has a value, I dont care if you are gods gift to the hall of fame, if you ask for too much, byebye. As I said earlier, Lev Bell is about to find that out the hard way.