Rams DE Aaron Donald has proven his point, now it's time to stop holding out

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He's not making a point. He's trying to get paid.

@bdfitz Aaron Donald is worth $100 million at any position where he rushes the passer. He's arguably the best defensive player in the NFL.
This ^^ is all true enough, BUT!! I think he still needs to report to camp, so he can practice the New system, and get his timing down with his team-mates! Am I wrong!?

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It certainly is a head scratcher that a team that hasn't had a winning season in forever doesn't have the money to sign it's best player . Too many guys overpaid I guess . Very fustrating

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trade him for a 1st and a 2nd. If he's playing pizzed off he's no good to the Rams.
The sad part is that we trade one of the few 1st rounders that has been any d@mn good, for another 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder? We would probably much that up..:sneak:

Todd59

Rookie
Having years left on his contract should make no difference. The front office chose to reward Robert Quinn (deserved) and Tavon Austin (waaayy undeserved) before their rookie deals ended. Now the are dragging their feet with the most electrifying player we've witnessed in a long time? I don't get it. I absolutely side with Donald on this. This team has it's priorities all wrong - paying potential talent while letting the proven guys twist in the wind.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Having years left on his contract should make no difference. The front office chose to reward Robert Quinn (deserved) and Tavon Austin (waaayy undeserved) before their rookie deals ended. Now the are dragging their feet with the most electrifying player we've witnessed in a long time? I don't get it. I absolutely side with Donald on this. This team has it's priorities all wrong - paying potential talent while letting the proven guys twist in the wind.
The Players Union/Association must have felt differently if they signed the last CBO (which they did). Do away with contracts altogether if they are not binding and pay according to performance....I guarantee players won't like that...

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Aaron agent needs.to realize, if the Rams had.the cap.space.they would have already made an offer that both sides can live with, but they can't pay him with $ that are not there. Next off-season the Rams will have the cap space to pay AD what he deserves, probably more than he would get on the open market this year.

Rainram

Starter
I know we're not privy to it, but I'm curious where they stand on the contract. Are the even close? Are they far apart? What's the hangup?

For measuring tools:
Von Miller, 6 years/$115M, 70M guaranteed, $19M/year
Ndamukong Suh, 6 years/$115M, 60M guaranteed, $19M/year
Fletcher Cox, 6 years/$102M, $63M guaranteed, $17M/year

I know we'll never know, but I'm curious what numbers are being thrown around.

6 years/$120M, 75 guaranteed, $20M/year?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Fucked this up weeks ago....Fucked it up with JJ...lowballed him...in Williams fucked up system...Now we got an even better DC....and Donald doesn't wanna sniff the field...

Donald shouldn't move....hell no...Look at some of our players that have left that have gotten paid. Sam B, McLeod, JJ, who else??? Oh yeah, Kenny Britt, Jared Cook....gotten paid.
I would have issue with paying a non QB that much money
Agreed with everything except this....why? Pass rushers are game changers.
This is a billion dollar industry...yeah, you can't pay everyone $20 million....but you can pay a few $25 million a year....The team is worth, what, $2 billion...did I read $4 billion somewhere??? Donald is a huge reason for our minor success? and he can't get paid? Donald jersey's everywhere, and he can't get paid? Worse, now we got him holding out...getting fined...and developing bad blood...for what? That's gonna make him play hard when he returns?

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
freaked this up weeks ago....freaked it up with JJ...lowballed him...in Williams freaked up system...Now we got an even better DC....and Donald doesn't wanna sniff the field...

Donald shouldn't move....hell no...Look at some of our players that have left that have gotten paid. Sam B, McLeod, JJ, who else??? Oh yeah, Kenny Britt, Jared Cook....gotten paid.
Agreed with everything except this....why? Pass rushers are game changers.
This is a billion dollar industry...yeah, you can't pay everyone $20 million....but you can pay a few $25 million a year....The team is worth, what, $2 billion...did I read $4 billion somewhere??? Donald is a huge reason for our minor success? and he can't get paid? Donald jersey's everywhere, and he can't get paid? Worse, now we got him holding out...getting fined...and developing bad blood...for what? That's gonna make him play hard when he returns?

Hmmmmm Defense isn't the only reason you win games. It wins games if you actually score. Which has been our downfall scoring points. As fas as I am concerned Donald is a contributor but honestly even with Donald on D our team overall still had a mediocre standing. He may have suceeded his expectations for himself making pro bowls, but lets be honest. I think we can fare off just fine if he decides to sit out we use who we got now. Our O should be more exciting anywho...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If I am part of this Rams Org. .....knowing that signing AD to long term future contract @ mega $$$ causing major negative issues with the future available cap space $$$ for other important vital Ram players..... I would want to know first that AD can be as effective in this new defense as he was in the Fisher/Greg Williams 43 Defense.

They have yet to observe AD thus far in Training Camp in action with the pads in this new 3 player DL. As an Org. you have to be very smart on this & AD has put them in a terrible position. I don't like AD's positioning in this matter myself. If its me I am looking for possible options out of this IF Aaron Donald decides to take this situation into nasty depths of no return. Ram Org. has been cornered here & its not good.

The Org, knew it had AD under contract for two more seasons with the option of 2 more with a total of four more seasons & this was a entire new coaching unit & big changes ongoing. It would seem reasonable to me that AD would come in here with all this new changes & assist this Org, then after this season concludes he would engage his mandated demands then...not so early into this new reconstructive NFL Organization. Ad & his agent should know this & how critical this time is to this team. Its somewhat like hitting a guy while his back is turned. I say Face off face to face early next yr & go Mano to Mano.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Now the are dragging their feet
How do you know the Team is " Dragging their Feet"!!?! No one the I have heard of has any idea what either side has offered or declined!! Do you know something none of the rest of us do!?
All the Team keeps saying is "We know he deserves a Big Raise" / "We want him" I have heard nothing from Donald's side, him or his agent's!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
As fas as I am concerned Donald is a contributor but honestly even with Donald on D our team overall still had a mediocre standing. He may have suceeded his expectations for himself making pro bowls, but lets be honest. I think we can fare off just fine if he decides to sit out we use who we got now.
It will/would be interesting to see this 3rd preseason game without Donald...the dress rehersal. I just heard Dak wants to play Saturday....So, the 1st drive or so, we'll get a good picture too...How does Tree & Barron play without Donald....and now Easley....
I don't know how we'll play, honestly....It ranges from terrible for balanced offensive teams, to maybe average against strong passing, weak running teams. I don't think we can be a great defense without Aaron Donald.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
I can't put this all on AD without knowing the details of what has been offered. I do feel, baring injury, which is what he's protecting himself from, he will be a HOF. AD has played at that level, should be paid at the level, and I want him in the Hall as a lifetime Ram------get the damn contract done, I don't care at this point whose "fault" it is.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If I am part of this Rams Org. .....knowing that signing AD to long term future contract @ mega $$$ causing major negative issues with the future available cap space $$$ for other important vital Ram players..... I would want to know first that AD can be as effective in this new defense as he was in the Fisher/Greg Williams 43 Defense.

They have yet to observe AD thus far in Training Camp in action with the pads in this new 3 player DL. As an Org. you have to be very smart on this & AD has put them in a terrible position. I don't like AD's positioning in this matter myself. If its me I am looking for possible options out of this IF Aaron Donald decides to take this situation into nasty depths of no return. Ram Org. has been cornered here & its not good.

The Org, knew it had AD under contract for two more seasons with the option of 2 more with a total of four more seasons & this was a entire new coaching unit & big changes ongoing. It would seem reasonable to me that AD would come in here with all this new changes & assist this Org, then after this season concludes he would engage his mandated demands then...not so early into this new reconstructive NFL Organization. Ad & his agent should know this & how critical this time is to this team. Its somewhat like hitting a guy while his back is turned. I say Face off face to face early next yr & go Mano to Mano.
This is all very reasonable, and Logical, and I agree with it! I also think AD is listening to his agents, not saying anything and letting the Court of Fan Power influence the debate! If I'm right, and this is the agents tactic, IT"S BS! For AD own good, and his careers he should tell his agents " enough is enough, I'm reporting in!"

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
It will/would be interesting to see this 3rd preseason game without Donald...the dress rehersal. I just heard Dak wants to play Saturday....So, the 1st drive or so, we'll get a good picture too...How does Tree & Barron play without Donald....and now Easley....
I don't know how we'll play, honestly....It ranges from terrible for balanced offensive teams, to maybe average against strong passing, weak running teams. I don't think we can be a great defense without Aaron Donald.

We will see. Saturday is almost here...Whether or not lets see if he is the difference maker.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
It's pretty sad that the team doesn't have the cap space to lock him up. There has been a mismanagement of cap space. Many teams around the league are paying QBs huge money and still have top talent on the team. The Rams by comparison are paying the QB position penny's. It's been pretty bad cap management on the Ram's part.

I would agree.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I hear you, but I remember hearing an interview with Kevin Demoff where he said that the Rams have enough money to sign whoever Snead/McVay wants to make their centerpiece players, right now...He included Donald in this statement.

Yes, starting next year though. Or they could tear up the current deal give him a 3M raise this year then add the big money next year and beyond. That caveat hear is Donald is under contract, he is signed and technically if the Rams were real ball busters they could franchise him for 2 years, essentially having him under contract for 4 years.

The way I see it, Donald under his current deal and getting franchised twice Donald is in line to make around 50M over the next 4 years.

What is in it for the Rams to extend him? What does Donald really want. Would he take 4 Yrs 50M all guarenteed? Is he looking for security, or a record/scoreboard type contract?

I know I am going off the rails here lol, but the Rams IMO are doing the right thing today. They should wait till next year to address this. They have no money this year and they have all the leverage.