Rams DE Aaron Donald has proven his point, now it's time to stop holding out

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Rams DE Aaron Donald has proven his point, now it's time to stop holding out

227364_d16afdac0b7c4205b80f6e77179e622e~mv2.webp

Okay, Aaron, you win. You have shown the Rams that you are for real in your demands for a new contract. However, now it's time for you to re-appear in the spotlight and get to work. After all, you have a huge season upcoming for you in 2017.

Look, I get the "Pay the Man" ideology, but it's officially going into the Rams first preseason game of 2017 and the Rams top player is still nowhere to be found. If you had told me or anyone for that matter three years ago that Donald would be holding out of training camp. Well, you may have thought about that and just shook your head. You may have even said "Aaron Donald would never do something like that. He's all about the team, he's the ultimate teammate." However, three years later, Donald is, in fact, holding out and it's become quite a bit of an issue.

This holdout is drawing mainstream media attention, it's causing crowds to pour into Rams training camp with "Pay the Man" signs and shirts as well as even chants. Donald is, in fact, the best defensive player in the league per this writer's opinion and many others. He's also, however, one of the more humble baby faced fan favorites in the league. So why the sudden change into the look of a borderline selfish player? Money talks for sure, but so do teammates. While Donald was holding out, his teammate and friend Dominique Easley went down with a torn ACL. Sure, Donald was likely there for support and likely texted him or called him about it. However, he wasn't there when it happened and he's not there now.

This may sound like I am dogging on Donald and while it might be true, it's important to keep in mind we all love Donald. It's also important to keep in mind you can love someone and criticize them when they are in the wrong. Donald is officially in the wrong. If this holdout didn't hit fans before, the new depth chart showcasing a starting lineup without Donald really put the nail in the coffin. It makes fans question the big key phrase or mantra of the year for the Rams "We Not Me'. Well, I'm no football player or coach, but something tells me that Donald's actions aren't very "we" and more along the lines of "me". Something I really never thought would be possible for Donald, but it goes to show you how much power these player agents have over the players.

You might be thinking to yourself, "How do you know Donald wants to be there and it's all his agent's doing?" Glad you asked, teammate and Rams DT Michael Brockers told the media that Donald wants to be back and it's killing him. Now, before your mind goes wandering off and you imagine what a holdout looks like, it's important to keep in mind this is Donald we are talking about. An Aaron Donald hold out is 100% guaranteed to incorporate workouts, training, and other activities to keep him in tip-top shape. That's the one positive with Donald and his holdout. You know it's Donald, so you know he's not going to come back out of shape.

I think the overall biggest aspect of this whole situation being missed is that Donald is missing out on the opportunity to get acclimated with defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, his new defense, and the new scheme. The Rams are running a new defense which is basically a 3-4 base and Donald is now technically playing a different position as last year. Regardless of all of that, Donald is missing valuable time and repetitions to create chemistry with the new players on defense. The Rams, after all, let T.J. McDonald go and traded away William Hayes. Besides that, the Rams also brought in new starters Connor Barwin and Kayvon Webster. Donald needs to be out there sooner than later installing that chemistry early on.

It wouldn't have likely been a huge deal if Donald held out next year, but the fact is this. The Rams are trying to install a new look, new coaching staff, new scheme and new culture. What Donald is doing jeopardizes all of that. Think about it, doesn't it set a bad precedent to the rest of the team if the new culture driven coaching staff shows Donald it's no big deal to sit out of training camp while the other 89 teammates of yours are out there on the practice field. It actually is a bad look if you look back at the things we heard about former Rams HC Jeff Fisher having "favorites" and not allowing competition and being lenient on the big names only. If you don't hold everyone to the same standard then is it really much of a culture? Is it really We Not Me? It sounds more like We and sometimes Me.

Aaron Donald is a transcendent player through and through. This is not a knock on him as a person, but more a knock on his decision this off-season. We know Donald will be back before the first game of the season, but what we don't know is when. If he refuses to report back to the Rams until the deal is closed then it's likely going to be right before the season. My thoughts are around when Tavon Austin and Michael Brockers were given deals last summer. We all want Donald to get paid, but similar to last season with Austin and Brockers, there is a time and a place for everything.

Not giving general manager Les Snead a pass or anything, but the Rams need to attend to other matters first. Donald may not see the "We" in this, but for the Rams sake, it makes sense to lock up Alec Ogletree and LaMarcus Joyner before anything. Why do I say that? Both of those players will be gone after this season if the Rams do not extend them. Ogletree is an absolute must as he plays one of the most vital positions in football, inside linebacker. Donald with all due respect has to know the Rams have to figure out a way to pay him the massive amount of money he deserves while also fitting in the rest of the team and their future moving forward.

Donald's deal is going to be a lot of money for the Rams to swallow, but they will have to in due time. Right now though Donald needs to go back on the field like fellow transcendent 2014 draft class superstar Odell Beckham Jr. It really doesn't help Donald's cause that OBJ, who is practically in the same boat as Donald, is not holding out and is in fact at camp getting ready for the 2017 season. The Rams went 4-12 last season in what was literally a worst case scenario. The Rams cannot afford to have Donald miss the preseason preparation going into the 2017 season.

bdfitz

UDFA
Hearing AD described as a DE? You've touched on the reason you may not see him this year in a RAM uni. Holdouts are ugly. They seldom end well. AD can play any position on the DLine but 100 mil for him playing DE?

The Rams have to trasition a lot of players to new positions. We've got Guards playing RT and vice versa. Donald simply may not fit at the price he's demanding. Holdouts are ugly. So is paying one guy 100 mil and losing half your D starters in the next 3 years.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's not making a point. He's trying to get paid.

@bdfitz Aaron Donald is worth $100 million at any position where he rushes the passer. He's arguably the best defensive player in the NFL.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's not making a point. He's trying to get paid.

@bdfitz Aaron Donald is worth $100 million at any position where he rushes the passer. He's arguably the best defensive player in the NFL.
He is...with a few years left on his contract. he needs to moderate this holdout shyte, and figure it out later...

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
He is...with a few years left on his contract. he needs to moderate this holdout shyte, and figure it out later...
Exactly. He has absolutely no leverage right now. Also, what good is having the best defensive player in the league if you cannot afford to put any other talent around him? I love AD. He is my favorite player on the squad......but we were 4-12 last year WITH him. This team needs a lot more than one stud player.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Exactly. He has absolutely no leverage right now. Also, what good is having the best defensive player in the league if you cannot afford to put any other talent around him? I love AD. He is my favorite player on the squad......but we were 4-12 last year WITH him. This team needs a lot more than one stud player.
I guess my counter point would be Donald has now seen how many of this team's best defensive talent cut/traded/allowed to walk over the last 3 or 4 years? The organization hasn't shown it's exactly handling it's players with the greatest faith in mind. And all of that has been done under the guise of freeing up cap space to improve.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
This. If Aaron Donald thinks he's too good to show up, then he can have fun on the couch this year. This coaching staff doesn't have time to worry about him. I used to be pissed that he wasn't reporting to camp. Now I'm looking forward to what the young guys can do. Next guy mentality.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
If AD doesn't show up today he loses a year of FA eligibility (as per CBA), and he might as well sit out the whole year. If he does, as far as I'm concerned, he can pack his bags and kick rocks.

He's not the only player on the team. I don't care how good he is, he's not being a team player. If the Rams give in, they might as well throw out all long term contracts and just go year to year with all their players.

Last edited:

Pape

UDFA
What position would AD be playing on the line? LDE? Would Wade stand him up as a linebacker? Thats what he is missing now - the ability to learn and transition to a new position.

and is Brockers the NT in the 3/4 alignment?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What position would AD be playing on the line? LDE? Would Wade stand him up as a linebacker? Thats what he is missing now - the ability to learn and transition to a new position.

and is Brockers the NT in the 3/4 alignment?
I'm not worried about that....Donald is such a freak he will command double teams anywhere on the line, and heaven help them if they don't do that...

TheBunk

Rookie
Freaking Devonta Freeman is now the highest paid RB in the league, and we're questioning Donald's decision to hold out? Hilarious.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Freaking Devonta Freeman is now the highest paid RB in the league, and we're questioning Donald's decision to hold out? Hilarious.
He's playing a kids game and is a millionaire doing it...now he wants a 100 million more with 2 plus years left on his contract. Who cares about Freeman? If because Donald follows his agents advice and it costs the team wins, no one will forget that. That's not hilarious, it's sad.

FRO

Legend
Donald is a top 3 defensive player in the league. If you or anybody else were the top 3 and arguably the best player at your position, you'd want a raise as well. Donald is one play away from not being able to make this sort of big money. Teams in the NFL do not have to honor contracts, so the argument that the player should always honor theirs too is moot. As a fan this sucks because it hurts the team's chances.

If the Rams don't want to pay him the 20 million the market bears for him, they should have traded him and got back a big return. I would have issue with paying a non QB that much money, even though Donald is a hall of fame type player and those guys don't grow on trees. It's an interesting conundrum for the Rams. The Lions have made the playoffs without Suh, so it can be done successfully. It's just hard to let a great player go.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
First let me say I would love to see Donald continue to be a Ram but as someone pointed out earlier they were 4 & 12 with him last year. I have said before this is an ego thing with these guys, it is more about being the highest paid player than the money itself. At this point, he has become a distraction and I hope they trade him for some draft picks. Most of us fans get up and go to work every day and we will never see a million dollars in our lifetime. When you get down to it these guys are here for our entertainment and nothing more. I will end my rant with we are all sick of this shit just go to camp and play under the contract you signed.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Apples to oranges comparison. Freeman was on the last year of his contrac. Aaron Donald has two years remaining.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can understand Aaron Donald's point. I can understand the Rams point. Sometimes no one is wrong. It just sucks for us fans. If we knew the contract demands and offers made, it might be easier for us to critique. But we don't. So let's not criticize Aaron Donald or the Rams. It's just business.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can understand Aaron Donald's point. I can understand the Rams point. Sometimes no one is wrong. It just sucks for us fans. If we knew the contract demands and offers made, it might be easier for us to critique. But we don't. So let's not criticize Aaron Donald or the Rams. It's just business.

I don't think so...this is dysfunction per a CBA that needs to be reworked. After a while, we don't care why a guy under contract isn't there on Sundays, just that he is letting down us and his team.

Last edited:

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I get both sides of the argument and honestly I think the Rams would like to lock him up.

But one thing not being talked about in this thread is the Rams dont have the cap space to sign him this year. I guess they could extend him but this year's salary would have to remain in tact.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get both sides of the argument and honestly I think the Rams would like to lock him up.

But one thing not being talked about in this thread is the Rams dont have the cap space to sign him this year. I guess they could extend him but this year's salary would have to remain in tact.
I hear you, but I remember hearing an interview with Kevin Demoff where he said that the Rams have enough money to sign whoever Snead/McVay wants to make their centerpiece players, right now...He included Donald in this statement.

FRO

Legend

It's pretty sad that the team doesn't have the cap space to lock him up. There has been a mismanagement of cap space. Many teams around the league are paying QBs huge money and still have top talent on the team. The Rams by comparison are paying the QB position penny's. It's been pretty bad cap management on the Ram's part.