Rams Cuts - Who's Next?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If you can release the kind of player that DT Kendall Langford is to free up cap space then maybe DE Chris Long can not be out of the realm of reality.
I hope your trying to demonstrate your disapproval of the Langford cut by being so "ABSURD!!!' as to suggest the Rams cut Chris Long!!:confused::eek:o_O:mad:

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
We were talking about his play but I don't think that his health was all of the way back and was probably causing some of his issues as he showed no quickness even before re-injuring his knee.

Ok I guess I misunderstood you then, mybad. In all honesty I don't think he was ready to return from the 2013 injury. Maybe my memory is cloudy reguarding him but before he went down in 2013 he looked fine. 2014 he did not look like the 2013 version that we signed and thats why i was saying he's good when healthy.

When i made the comment on him looking ok till the KC game I thought you were talking health wise, I do agree with you though his preformance was not the best in 2014.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I hope your trying to demonstrate your disapproval of the Langford cut by being so "ABSURD!!!' as to suggest the Rams cut Chris Long!!:confused::eek:o_O:mad:

;)

I thought that Kendall Langford was extremely important to the Rams DL. Just like Chris Long is. IMO this Kendall release sure will set up a NT being selected in the first or second day of the draft. Starting NT Michael Brockers is a UFA in 2016, Rams do not have a legit back up to Brockers post.

jjab360

Legend
;)

I thought that Kendall Langford was extremely important to the Rams DL. Just like Chris Long is. IMO this Kendall release sure will set up a NT being selected in the first or second day of the draft. Starting NT Michael Brockers is a UFA in 2016, Rams do not have a legit back up to Brockers post.
I appreciate the good years we got out of Langford, but you're extremely overrating him if you think he was as important to the Rams DL as Chris Long. He was a good DL but he never was the run defender or had the power of Brockers or even half the quickness and pass rushing prowess of Donald. He was replaceable.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
yea gonna have to completely disagree

Pead was also without question our best 3rd down back and the most consistent in Pass pro; and a big part of our coverage unit. You don't throw away guys like that, especially with low cap numbers.

There are a number of players who just plain shouldn't be on this team(Joseph) and/or guys with cap numbers (wells, J.Long) that are much bigger candidates for cuts

Pead is also coming off of an ACL, Cunningham and Mason have so much more potential on third down (I'd already rate Cunningham above Pead in pass-protecti0n), and Watts and Reynolds are already on the coverage unit. Sorry, but I don't see a use for Pead, especially when you can save money by cutting him.

If it were up to me, Joseph, Wells, Jake Long, and Dunbar would also be gone, as well as Pead. It's not about whether there are bigger candidates; it's about whether they can do a job better than someone else can. Pead is lacking in all of it.

iced

Pead is also coming off of an ACL, Cunningham and Mason have so much more potential on third down (I'd already rate Cunningham above Pead in pass-protecti0n), and Watts and Reynolds are already on the coverage unit. Sorry, but I don't see a use for Pead, especially when you can save money by cutting him.

Disagree - on the field Pead has out played cunningham, especially as a 3rd down back
If it were up to me, Joseph, Wells, Jake Long, and Dunbar would also be gone, as well as Pead. It's not about whether there are bigger candidates; it's about whether they can do a job better than someone else can. Pead is lacking in all of it.

Pead also brings more value to the 53 man roster than all those due - as a 3rd down back, and ST....coverage units and keeping up our QB has been a problem, and a fair amount of those hits on the QB have come from the backs in pass bro

iced

ummm pead has been used in that role - when he had his head out of his ass (early maturity issues)

but we didn't jump into one of the better coverage units without him for no reason when he was playing...and with a team that relies on defense, field position is important

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Disagree - on the field Pead has out played cunningham, especially as a 3rd down back

Pead also brings more value to the 53 man roster than all those due - as a 3rd down back, and ST....coverage units and keeping up our QB has been a problem, and a fair amount of those hits on the QB have come from the backs in pass bro

Couldn't possibly disagree more with the first sentence: Cunningham has been a fantastic third-down back. And for Pead to actually outplay Cunningham/Mason/Watts, he has to actually make it onto the field. He has simply not done that, and I doubt he ever will.

Like I said, Watts has taken Pead's job as a gunner, and Cunningham, Mason, Watts, and even Stacy are far above Pead on the depth chart. Makes all kinds of sense to cut Pead.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
If he's not retiring then you have to go with Long, or Wells. Either or would be good in my books, these guys have done more than enough to get the cut. They contribute nothing and all they do is steal money from the team and there's plenty of people willing to replace them that can't be any worse. Leaving them on the team is a detriment to the team.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Right now, I think the next cut will be either Wells or Pead. I think the Rams might give Long (Jake) a little longer to see how is health is doing (If, he agrees to a position change and to a restructured deal) and to see if they can get a better/cheaper replacement in free agency.

iced

Couldn't possibly disagree more with the first sentence: Cunningham has been a fantastic third-down back. And for Pead to actually outplay Cunningham/Mason/Watts, he has to actually make it onto the field. He has simply not done that, and I doubt he ever will.

He did - he had to pull his head out of his ass and get out of fisher's dog house first, but he finally did toward the end of 2013 and made an impact on Special Teams in the last 7 games.

Like I said, Watts has taken Pead's job as a gunner, and Cunningham, Mason, Watts, and even Stacy are far above Pead on the depth chart. Makes all kinds of sense to cut Pead.

They never took his job from him - they got it by default, because he tore his ACL in the 2nd pre-season game.

Prior to that - Pead was head and shoulders better than the other backs when it to came picking up blitzes and out of the backfield.

I don't recall Watts making that big of an impact on ST - Cunningham is a good runner, but he still needs to work on his hands (how many screen passes has he dropped?) and has gotten much better in blitz pick up... but when you put on the tape of all the backs, the others didn't come close to Pead as a 3rd down back..Again, hands, pass pro, blitz pick up, coming out of the back field.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Pead? Seriously? Dude has taken about as many snaps for this team than I have....

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pead? Seriously? Dude has taken about as many snaps for this team than I have....

To be totally honest (I guess this is embarrassing for me!) but I actually forgot he was still on the team!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Just look at Fisher's past here in the Lou. He plays veterans and won't give the young guys a chance until someone gets hurt. Players typically finish on the depth chart at the end of the year the same place they started the year. It took forever for Stacy to get his chance, and he lost it when Mason finally got a shot.

If that were even remotely true Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, Chris Givens, Daryl Richardson, Stedman Bailey, Lamarcus Joyner, and EJ Gaines would not be getting significant playing time as rookies and 2nd year players.

Also, it took 4 games for Zac Stacy. And he took over for Daryl Richardson, not Steven Jackson. So unless you consider a 2nd year player a veteran, it just further debunks that myth of Jeff Fisher playing vets over young guys.

And back OT, I for one will not revel if/when Scott Wells gets cut. It's the dark side of the business, but he played for my favorite team without being a problem (off field or being a diva, etc). Same with Kendall Langford.