Rams Coaching Staff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
IMO - Streicher will be able to also help with player personnel in game.

Sean Mcvay really struggles with who is playing where.He gets so dialed in on play calling.

Pucka described who intense it was playing in Detroit & not hearing the play calls.Mcvays PC is so detailed.
My examples of game personnel would be LT goes down in game.Why not change Noteboom to LT & put Thomas at RG by just switching them.
—The Rams beat Cinncy easily by a TD if that happens.Plus Mattew Stafford in theory doesn’t get hurt. The Bobby Evans LG is another same type of example that can’t happen.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I have concerns on Defense.

Regardless of opinion, there were three losses of significant experience in Morris, Henderson and Lake (mostly college). That's a lot of experience out-the-door.

The only really experienced addition was Giff Smith. Add-in that Shula is a first-time Defensive Coordinator; and the Rams will likely have a lot of young players on defense ... the lack of experienced coaches is a concern to me.
I posted this three days ago because I thought the Rams had lost more (in experience) on the defensive-side of the ball, than they added.

The addition of Sean Desai makes me feel much better. More than ten years NFL coaching experience, twice a DC and senior roles the past three seasons (although with three different teams). Hopefully he is a quality coach, and will fit-in well with the existing staff but this is definitely an experienced addition.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
I actually did that as a young man… sold vacuum cleaners by appt… Vorwerk

They were amazing German quality, but cost $1000 in late 80s dollars. I sold two, but the local sales group was sleazy af. They thought pics of Lambos were motivational…sigh… and expected us to work insane hours.

I didn’t stay long enough to become jaded, but Glengarry Glen Ross sure hit harder for me after having been in that kind of environment…
I sold encyclopedias door to door. Had a lot of doors slammed in my face. Glengarry Glen Ross hit me hard too. lol but it got me through college. And kept my fridge well stocked with beer.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well I doubt McVay would want him to overshadow Shula in year one. I would presume he's available for either coordinator, guys on a staff work together many hours and get rather tight so it's not like I'd expect there to be an embargo on him offering his experience or insight to Shula.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
I'm sure Desai has something to add or McVay wouldn't have hired him. I'm just not sure how much he will add.

There's probably a good human interest story somewhere

Or a not so good story

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm fine with this move. It wouldn't be the first time a McVay hired coach needed a reset on their career (Raheem Morris, Mike LaFleur, etc.)

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I posted this three days ago because I thought the Rams had lost more (in experience) on the defensive-side of the ball, than they added.

The addition of Sean Desai makes me feel much better. More than ten years NFL coaching experience, twice a DC and senior roles the past three seasons (although with three different teams). Hopefully he is a quality coach, and will fit-in well with the existing staff but this is definitely an experienced addition.
Perhaps I spoke (and posted) too quickly.

When the Rams hired an experienced defensive coach, I assumed it was to coach on defense ... Silly Me.

According to the well-connected Jourdan Rodrigue, Desai's role is more multi-faceted, and will include working with the offensive coaches to provide a defensive perspective. Jourdan also reports that Jimmy Lake had that responsibility last season. I had not previously read that.

These Rams under McVay and Snead are a fun team to follow. Creative and out-of-the-box thinking.

I love this time of year ...
Combine starts later this week; and one week after it ends, the League Year begins and Free Agency. In the mean-time, we will have franchise tags, tender offers to restricted free agents, some signings to keep players from hitting free agency, some contract re-structures for cap space and some releases for cap relief.

oldnotdead

Legend
If Shula gets poached then the Rams have their next DC. If Desai gets poached like IMO he might, the Rams might get a comp pick.

But having a guy like him working with McVay as he designs his scheme is a very smart move. It gives Sean the otherside perspective. If he does this how will the defense counter. When they counter how should Sean respond. So absolutely I see the value in having a former DC working with him as he designs his offense and making half time adjustments.

I think Shula will be fine.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I'm fine with this move. It wouldn't be the first time a McVay hired coach needed a reset on their career (Raheem Morris, Mike LaFleur, etc.)
McVay is essentially the NFL's coaching career rehab guy, he's like the guy in a home makeover show. Puts these guys in a better light after a bad experience they had somewhere else.

oldnotdead

Legend
When the Rams win the Lombardi this year his staff will be raided like never before. With some of the overlapping responsibilities in the coaching staff, that turnover will be minimized. I think not only stategically his hires make sense for this year, but long term as well. This will help insure long term continuity overall.