Rams Coaching Staff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Nothing would surprise me with Shula. Hope he kicks ass but I don't really have a sense of certainty with him. Reminds me of the Morris hire in that way.

The Staley hire felt risky but focused. As in he was specifically brought in to install the Fangio scheme and teach it to McVay. But Morris I wondered if it was his first friend hire, as I didn't see any Fangio background.

Lesson for me in all that is McVay probably taught him and he proved good enough to do the job. And so with Shula I figure McVay won't let him fail but hopefully he can also get it done. But not particularly confident, moreso just hopeful.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Any offensive coaching job on the Rams > the Pats OC position. They got barely any O talent.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
From the article:

The Los Angeles Rams took some losses on their coaching staff this winter (particularly with Raheem Morris and Zac Robinson headed to Atlanta), but they also scored an awfully big win. Hanging on to highly regarded tight ends coach Nick Caley was a coup for Sean McVay.

The continued poaching of McVay’s assistants has been, over the last few years, both a huge endorsement of what’s been built in Los Angeles and also a bit of a burden on a team that’s constantly needed to reshape itself around new staff coming in. But last year marked a sort of shift in how they did it, with McVay going outside a coaching tree that traditionally has been very insular to hire Caley and Ryan Wendell, both of whom have Patriot roots.

Part of it, of course, was that McVay just liked those two. Another was the respect he’s always had for Josh McDaniels and the New England offense, and the thought that adding some layers to the passing game, with Matthew Stafford as its triggerman, and some more diversity to the run game would make the Rams tough to deal with. To be sure, it worked, enough so that the idea of Caley leaving to go run his own offense was very much in play.

Caley traveled to New England for a second interview with the Patriots, whom he worked for from 2015–22, over the weekend of the conference title games, and was offered the Patriots offensive coordinator job by his old staffmate Jerod Mayo. And he was offered it at a very competitive salary, which reflected the respect Mayo has for him.

It was tough to say no. But Caley had such a good experience last year with the Rams, that the idea of leaving was more difficult than turning down a coordinator job. So he stayed, and McVay, as I’ve heard the story, was ecstatic that he did (and McVay showed that emphatically on the phone with Caley when he was told he was staying). In turn, the Rams have since made it worth his while by giving him the pass-game coordinator title that Robinson left behind when he decided to go run his own offense in Atlanta under Morris.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he impresses in that passing game coordinator role he may end up getting that Patriots job after they fire Mayo.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
It will be interesting to see who Shula views as starters out of our young guys. He's been around many of our defensive players since they came in the league, so he's not really a new set of eyes coming in like Raheem was. We have some decisions to make regarding who we keep, and we let go, and Shula being part of the staff for these years gives him a perspective that will hopefully help us continue to build this defense.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
The Eagles’ defence was horrible last year. Not impressed by the Desai signing.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
It’s not like the Eagles D improved any after they fired him. Could even say they got worse.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
The Eagles’ defence was horrible last year. Not impressed by the Desai signing.
I won't hold that against him. He got 10 or 11 weeks to run the defense before Siriani hired Patricia. IMO, it got worse.
It’s not like the Eagles D improved any after they fired him. Could even say they got worse.

I just did, because I agree.

And we can't really measure it properly simply by looking at the numbers. There were guys on their defense who played shitty. James Bradbury for one. They signed Kevin Byard and though it takes a little time to acclimate to a new team, he often looked confused even late in the season or had team mates shaking their head seemingly because he didn't play his responsibility. Like the old saying goes, it about the jimmies and joes not the X's and O's. I can't claim to know what changes Desai made to the D but common sense might suggest, not many. If he wasn't assertive or appeared to lack confidence why did the D played great the first 9 weeks? Like nothing had changed in the off season. Was he assertive and confident then? And like I said before, they held Miami and KC to 17. IMO, Siriani scapegoated Desai. He might not survive this season if they come out sucking.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
When Desai was hired a couple weeks ago, several reports (including ESPN's Jeremy Fowler) said it was for a "Senior Defensive Role" but @OldSchool is correct.

Shortly thereafter, reports came-out (including Jourdan Rodrigue) clarifying that Desai's role was to work with the offense ... kind of a defensive coach's approach to what the Rams were doing on offense.

Apparently, that was a large part of Jimmy Lake's role last season, which I did not know.

There are tweets from both Fowler and Rodrigue on the previous page of this very fine thread.

Kudos to the OP of this Thread. Seems like a bright, articulate man. And, I hear, a Real-Looker!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No doubt. I don't know the specifics and don't care even if he deserved to be fired. They had a lot of issues other than coordinator as well, and failure doesn't mean you can't do it. Means you'll have some wisdom from the experience if you've got some perseverance and are capable of learning from it.

I'm interested in seeing what grows out of him working with McVay and the offensive dudes.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Desai? Philly took away his play calling duties and gave them to the Rocket Scientist (alleged) Rapist.
That's gotta say something, right? Don't know what, but something.

Action photos of Desai's in-season successor in Philly:

2018-09-13-MattyPatty.png

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Desai? Philly took away his play calling duties and gave them to the Rocket Scientist (alleged) Rapist.
That's gotta say something, right? Don't know what, but something.

Action photos of Desai's in-season successor in Philly:

2018-09-13-MattyPatty.png
It's gotta say that people don't read just see a name and react :)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Desai is a respected coach that was in a bad situation with a bad locker room and a boob for a head coach. He’s thought to one day be a head coach. Maybe he’s more of the CEO type of coach. He supposedly relates to players and is a good teacher.