Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend

Cap Rundown with Tony Pastoors

Posted Mar 10, 2015

White_60_60_061913.jpg
Tiffany WhiteCommunications CoordinatorSpecial to therams.com

ArticleTony-Pastoors.jpg

Tucked away in an office opposite of Rams C.O.O. Kevin Demoff sits Tony Pastoors, the senior assistant of the Los Angeles Rams. As the team’s lead negotiator, Pastoors works alongside Demoff in salary cap management, contract negotiations, compliance with the NFL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement and the team’s financial and strategic planning.

In honor of the New League Year and the start of free agency, Pastoors has agreed to indulge us in a quick overview of the salary cap, since many of us are often left in the dark wondering what it is.

THERAMS.COM: What is the salary cap?
PASTOORS: The salary cap is basically the maximum amount a team can spend on its players in any given year. Football has a “hard cap,” which means we cannot exceed that number. For 2015, it is $143,280,000 plus player benefits. We cannot spend any more than that. Professional basketball and Major League Baseball have what we call “soft caps.” They can go over. They just pay a penalty when they do. In the NFL we cannot.

THERAMS.COM: How much forward thinking is involved when managing the cap?
PASTOORS: Every team does it differently. Every time we do any deal here, we are looking two, three years ahead to make sure it all makes sense. What you never want to do is make, as the general manager would say, “emotional decisions,” and then have to deal with the ramifications of that. So every contract we set up, we’re always looking two, three years down the road.

THERAMS.COM: Is there a salary floor or a minimum that teams have to spend each year?
PASTOORS: Technically, no. In any given year there is not. However, in the new CBA there is a four-year period in which there is what they call “minimum spend.” The teams have to spend over a four-year period 89 percent of the salary cap in cash. For this year, you essentially have to spend $127 million to get to that 89 percent, and that’s in cash, and it’s that way for all four years. The salary cap, you can manipulate some of it, but that 89 percent spend threshold was put into place to make sure teams actually spend and aren’t just manipulating the cap.

THERAMS.COM: What’s the difference between cash and the cap?
PASTOORS: The salary cap is like a credit card. You can put charges on it and you can pay it off a million different ways. You can always pay the minimum payment, but at the end of the day you’re eventually going to have to pay the whole bill. You can push payments back and spread “cap” out through years, but there has to be cash behind it.

THERAMS.COM: Can you illustrate an example of a cash vs. cap breakdown?
PASTOORS: If you give a player on a five-year contract $5 million as a signing bonus, the way the salary cap works is that $5 million prorates out (see Exhibit A, Row 3 below).

In cash, most of the time if you’re giving a player a signing bonus, you’re going to pay him the year he signs. Now on the cap, it will hit like Exhibit A, where the signing bonus prorates out $1 million over a 5-year period, the maximum is a 5-year period. So, his cap number is $2 million and his cash number would essentially be $6 million (Exhibit B).

ArticleScreen-Shot-2015-03-10-at-93438-PM.jpg

If the contract was written and agreed upon with a roster bonus, it would look a little different. When you give the roster bonus in the first year of the contract, the cap hit would be $6 million in Year 1 and his cash number would be $6 million, keeping the cash and the cap in line with one another instead of that $2 million cap hit via the signing bonus in Exhibit A.

Back to the signing bonus scenario, let’s say we finished the second year of the player’s contract and we cut the player before his third. Those $3 million in cap (2017-2019) is going to all come back and count against us in 2017. Like I said, the credit card – you can spread out your payments, but eventually you’re going to have to pay it. Teams do it differently and there’s a million different ways to navigate it and I think every team does a very good job for their parameters. Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET, the entire league will be under the salary cap.

THERAMS.COM: How long did it take you to learn everything?
PASTOORS: I don’t think you’re ever quite done learning. I think there’s a lot of different things that you can continue to learn and different ways to look at things. Like I said, I don’t think there’s one way to do the cap. Trust me, it’s not something that you just read overnight and say, “I got it.” It’s a process.

THERAMS.COM: Aside from you, who else is involved in managing the salary cap?
PASTOORS: Everything we do is a collaboration between Coach Fisher, Kevin, Les Snead and myself. At this point with most of our guys, I’m the one that the agents will talk to and deal with, but the end of the day, it’s good to have Kevin across the hall.

Pastoors is entering into his sixth year with the Los Angeles Rams where assists Kevin Demoff, Head Coach Jeff Fisher, and General Manager Les Snead in the development and implementation of the club’s strategic plan for player signings and player acquisitions. He also aids Demoff in all aspects of the team’s business operations.

Prior to joining the Rams, he was a student at Dartmouth College where he earned his bachelor’s degree in history. He was born and raised in Minneapolis, Minn.

KOWALSKI

Rookie
so ian rap also reports that shanny wants the broncos job.
i have zero interest in a guy who thinks we are plan b or c or even d, who knows.
i feel another 5 wasted years are in front of us.
all these wasted picks.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
New so ian rap also reports that shanny wants the broncos job.
i have zero interest in a guy who thinks we are plan b or c or even d, who knows.

I think those reports MUST be pure speculation.

I mean... think about it... if you were interviewing for jobs would you want your favorite choice made public?

No.

I don't believe Shanahan has, either.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I mean... think about it... if you were interviewing for jobs would you want your favorite choice made public?

No.

I concur everything is speculation, it easy to put something out there like that, however, let's see how this plays out. Nothing wrong with if he was leaning Denver either and they went with Vance Joseph for example and then he's hired by the Rams because we truly never will know unless Shanahan publicly came out and said, I want the Denver job, which is not going to happen.

Keep in mind many feel the Denver job is the best situation, however, I disagree, the ownership is in flux you have John Elway breathing down your neck and the Ram job will pay you much more so beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
IDK I thought he had some good insights to McVay who is moving up the list for me....Did not talk about Kyle Shanahan either, however, I am sure that is because Kyle Shanahan is number one on most's list, hopefully the opportunity of say in personnel adding his father to the organization and the fact of being able to pay him more than any other organization will trump the others and BTW Coaching in Hollywood too.
I heard on LA 570 am yesterday that McVay had a strong interview.

Shanahan seems to be the only candidate that will definitely be a HC next season.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Demoff will have to be one hell of a PR man , if we want the top candidates

One thing I've noticed is when ex-Rams players go to another team , they mention that the Rams organization just were committed to winning

And believe me , word gets around , and I'm sure that's in the back of all these head coach candidates

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
No. Kroenke wanted Fisher. And it was Fisher that hired Snead.
I get that Fisher wanted Snead....And Snead is the only football guy. I don't like Demoff & whoever else, especially NON FOOTBALL GUYS selecting the new HC. Snead has NEVER PICKED A HC. My point, how do any of these guys know what's best for the team? Hell, Snead probably wants what's best for himself. Somebody that likes & doesn't wanna fire his ass.

Pastoors is entering into his sixth year with the Los Angeles Rams where assists Kevin Demoff, Head Coach Jeff Fisher, and General Manager Les Snead in the development and implementation of the club’s strategic plan for player signings and player acquisitions. He also aids Demoff in all aspects of the team’s business operations.

Prior to joining the Rams, he was a student at Dartmouth College where he earned his bachelor’s degree in history. He was born and raised in Minneapolis, Minn.
Part of the problem right here...

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Demoff will have to be one hell of a PR man , if we want the top candidates

One thing I've noticed is when ex-Rams players go to another team , they mention that the Rams organization just were committed to winning

And believe me , word gets around , and I'm sure that's in the back of all these head coach candidates

No doubt. But then again, all these owners have their negatives. SF has an owner with his head up his @$$. Denver everyone lists Elway as a positive, but he's reportedly a bit of a micromanager and some think that had something to do with Kubs cutting bait. San Diego has all manner of issues from the GM to the owners not having the kind of money you want to get the best staff.

Personally I think the Rams are still the job of the offseason. Now that said, maybe Goff is not viewed by them as well as I think he will be, so who knows. We'll see how it breaks out but I suspect they'll have their pick and the only team that might be chosen before us is Denver and even that I think is up in the air.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Great news. I'm praying they just bring him in and support him with Stan's deep pockets to get the best positional guys under him. He can also get right to work, which is enormously attractive.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Search: Peter Schrager Skypes In

FOX Sports Senior NFL Writer Peter Schrager Skypes in with Rams reporter Dani Klupenger to update on the latest news that he's hearing on the Rams head coaching search.

[www.therams.com]

@TheDYVKX will like this.

Gotta give the Rams some props here...

I love the quality of their studio, really a great look and the blue and white seems to tell us which way the new uniform redesign is heading.

They've done a great job with the crew too. Both Dani and Myles have a genuineness to them I like, and I love adding Demarco to that. I've always been a huge fan of his.

Zero

Pro Bowler
As I monitor our search, I keep reminding myself to stay calm no matter the outcome. There's only one candidate who would make me legitimately angry. But there are candidates who might feel like disappointments. Still, some of the best coaches were found that way. So I really need to stay centered and give our guy a chance. I hope we find out fairly soon. The suspense is killing me.
Let me guess.Doug Marrone

Zero

Pro Bowler
Denver everyone lists Elway as a positive, but he's reportedly a bit of a micromanager and some think that had something to do with Kubs cutting bait.
Very interesting Merlin.Had not heard that.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very interesting Merlin.Had not heard that.

One interesting thing too is that Elway seems more concerned with the defensive side of the ball, in his comments. He is clearly more comfortable with the offensive side, and it's just my opinion but I feel like that is because he is heavily involved with them due to that being his background. And if that is true, then they might be hot after Joseph moreso than Shanahan.

Will be interesting to watch all that unfold.

Zero

Pro Bowler
One interesting thing too is that Elway seems more concerned with the defensive side of the ball, in his comments. He is clearly more comfortable with the offensive side, and it's just my opinion but I feel like that is because he is heavily involved with them due to that being his background. And if that is true, then they might be hot after Joseph moreso than Shanahan.

Will be interesting to watch all that unfold.

Merlin.Any Idea when the end of round 1 interviews will be?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Vegas seems to have McDaniels as the favorite for the Rams job. Not a huge favorite but they have higher odds on him being the Rams next coach. I wouldn't be too keen on it if he were the guy. Too many red flags. He's been a flop away from Brady/Belichek.

He took over a Denver team that was second in total yards the previous year and they dropped to middle of the pack with him. He didn't make it through the second season. We all know how his tenure with the Rams went. No need to even mention anymore there.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Shanahan seems to be the only candidate that will definitely be a HC next season.

Great stuff, was wondering how the some of the interviews went, McVay is moving up my list and I am sure working with Demoff in Tampa was a plus.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler

No.

Ya exactly

If I am his agent im putting the broncos out their to jack the price up. If it's out there the clear top job is his first choice other teams will offer more salary wise to compete