Rams Beat Vikes CELEBRATION THREAD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Stafford didn’t play well but McVay does him no favors with the play calling sometimes. He came out at halftime and told the sideline reporter he wanted to establish the run, yet 3 of his first 4 play calls were passes…2 resulted in picks. You could argue neither was Stafford’s fault—he got hit as he released the ball to Jefferson and the other was tipped at the line. BUT, he was off today on several other throws. Missed OBJ a couple times. He’s got to be better (and I think he will be).

But I actually think it’s a good sign that this team can win a game vs a desperate team on the road (on 4 days rest!) when Stafford plays this poorly. It’s hard to say McVay should’ve given Sony more touches when he finished with 27 carries, but I think if he sticks with the run earlier in the game, we win this game by 14+. The Ravens will be a great measuring stick for our run game because they are top 3 in the league in rush D. They’ve locked up a lotta really good backs. I think Dalvin Cook is the only one that’s really gotten loose on them.
I gotta be honest... I hadn't put too much thought into the reality that they played on Tuesday.

This was, truly, as an organization, a pretty amazing stretch of overcoming adversity.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Playing in a hostile environment, away from home on the holidays after a crazy short week.

There was some ugly play at times (Stafford, we're looking at you). But the team overcame and the defense and special teams finally seem to be clicking. 1st place, playoffs and it looks like we are hitting our stride.

Lfg!!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Playing in a hostile environment, away from home on the holidays after a crazy short week.

There was some ugly play at times (Stafford, we're looking at you). But the team overcame and the defense and special teams finally seem to be clicking. 1st place, playoffs and it looks like we are hitting our stride.

Lfg!!
I dare hope that they win out!!

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
You are trying too hard to exonerate him and pulling the strawman Goff argument out of your ***.

He makes way too many mistakes for an uber talented 12 yr vet. Looks like a journeyman at times with his decision making. He forced that Int he was hit on into coverage and did so on 3rd and short. Dumb!

The tip was a poor pass... A lack of awareness on that play. Have to see the traffic in front of him on that play. Plus, he had a few others that easily could have been picked. He single handily kept the Vikes in the game. I doubt other QBs would get the same pass you are giving Stafford.

Having said that, he is definitely more talented then most QBs, my point is that his ability is diminished by his hero ball play where the end result may not be much of an upgrade over a game manager type QB and that is maddening. He is allowed to check down to get a first down. He should be capable of throwing it away when nothing is there and your team is actually controlling the game.

I don't think McVay expected to have to be dealing with this type of thing from such a veteran QB when he made this deal.
Waynes World Garth GIF

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stafford didn’t play well but McVay does him no favors with the play calling sometimes. He came out at halftime and told the sideline reporter he wanted to establish the run, yet 3 of his first 4 play calls were passes…2 resulted in picks. You could argue neither was Stafford’s fault—he got hit as he released the ball to Jefferson and the other was tipped at the line. BUT, he was off today on several other throws. Missed OBJ a couple times. He’s got to be better (and I think he will be).

But I actually think it’s a good sign that this team can win a game vs a desperate team on the road (on 4 days rest!) when Stafford plays this poorly. It’s hard to say McVay should’ve given Sony more touches when he finished with 27 carries, but I think if he sticks with the run earlier in the game, we win this game by 14+. The Ravens will be a great measuring stick for our run game because they are top 3 in the league in rush D. They’ve locked up a lotta really good backs. I think Dalvin Cook is the only one that’s really gotten loose on them.

yeah, 27 carries is way too many. but when your qb is throwing scud missiles out there he had to feed him a little extra. definitely not something sony can do every week. the rams need him in the playoffs.

i remember criticising the browns coaches for not giving chubb the ball all game but it's not sustainable. i saw him tap himself out a few times in the game. i'm sure they would have loved to hand it to him every down instead of watching their qb throw shit pass after shit pass and screw up every perfect play they called. but chubb couldn't do it.

i guess i'm saying take good care of sony in the lead up to the playoffs. he needs to be fresh enough to carry a huge load in the playoffs. and i'm not talking about constipation.

The Ramowl

Starter
One other thing that needs to be acknowledged, is McVay's play calling the last few weeks. For a coach that takes a lot of flack for not running the ball enough, he has been pounding the rock for the last month. When we had Gurley and a healthy Akers we would have games like this of just pounding away. If McVay trusts the RB in the backfield he wont hesitate to run the ball.
He got punished for trying to get away from it with pass attempts on 1st and 2nd down inside our 2p early in the half. There was no 3rd.
I think then he really got it. This is the way we'll win IMHO, run it until the other team has to sell out, but wait, they can't because Stafford, Kupp, OBJ, and now they're screwed, and we can go over the top if they want to involve safeties in blitz and it's a nightmare.
Also I'm not an xs an os guy, but can we not do empy sets in the red zone? Michel averaged again over 4 yards per run (4.8), which is terrifying in the RZ, why would you free the defense of that anguish to field an extra receiver?

Zodi

Hall of Fame
The Ravens will be a great measuring stick for our run game because they are top 3 in the league in rush D.

Joey B just put up 500+ on them through the air. Next week should be a Matthew Stafford party.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not at all... I realize he is more talented, but it drives me crazy that he doesn't play smart. Thus his effectiveness is diminished as to what it should be.

QBs like Goff throw it away when nothing is there more often then not, but you rarely see Stafford do that and a lot of his mistakes happen when he has all day to throw and he still forces it into coverage.

Not only that, but when its 3rd and 3 and he goes for a 30 yrd pass into triple coverage, that is dumb. Take the check down and keep the chains moving.

Those issues will likely be a big reason why this team doesn't get it done in the playoffs if that ends up being the case.
Goff also throws the ball away on 4th down too.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Idk why people keep forgetting this is Stafford first year in this system not to mention learning new WR tendencies new terminology learning new lineman. And a lot of his past interceptions have been based off drops ball hitting the receivers in the hands and the defense getting them. And one where even Kupp didn’t come back for the ball. All I’m saying is that year 1 for Stafford might not be perfect but the season isn’t over yet!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Idk why people keep forgetting this is Stafford first year in this system not to mention learning new WR tendencies new terminology learning new lineman. And a lot of his past interceptions have been based off drops ball hitting the receivers in the hands and the defense getting them. And one where even Kupp didn’t come back for the ball. All I’m saying is that year 1 for Stafford might not be perfect but the season isn’t over yet!
Homer Stafford Apologist….

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
2 wins in a span of 5-6 days… jammed around the Christmas holidays… dealing with sickness and substitutions all over the place…

These last 2 wins are SUPER IMPRESSIVE!

The team is gelling at the right time.

GO RAMS!

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Soft mentality shows up in the game thread again... luckily the actual team has much more resolve than some of the people on this board.

We struggled in the passing game today and still never trailed.

Way to grind it out in a place we hardly ever win.
Along with being outcoached.

Don't forget that baby, it comes up every game in which we are struggling.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I‘ll take this win anyway we got it. The Vikes were a thorn in my fandom during my youth and I haven’t forgiven them!!!!!!! WTG RAMS!!!!!!
Outside the Super Bowl losses, the two most frustrating and disappointing games in my fifty years of being a Rams' fan are the 1974 and 1976 NFC Championship games in Minnesota.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This has been one of the best 3 week spans for the Rams in the 21st Century. Not only wins by us but losses by rivals in an always tough division...
It also happens to be one of the most adverse 3 week spans the team has dealt with in my memory...
It's really quite impressive

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
Outside the Super Bowl losses, the two most frustrating and disappointing games in my fifty years of being a Rams' fan are the 1974 and 1976 NFC Championship games in Minnesota.
Tom Mack still hasn't moved to this day

Fricken bullshit Refs call

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Joe Kapp. Ugh.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
He got punished for trying to get away from it with pass attempts on 1st and 2nd down inside our 2p early in the half. There was no 3rd.
I think then he really got it. This is the way we'll win IMHO, run it until the other team has to sell out, but wait, they can't because Stafford, Kupp, OBJ, and now they're screwed, and we can go over the top if they want to involve safeties in blitz and it's a nightmare.
Also I'm not an xs an os guy, but can we not do empy sets in the red zone? Michel averaged again over 4 yards per run (4.8), which is terrifying in the RZ, why would you free the defense of that anguish to field an extra receiver?
Not to mention you're exchanging a defensive lineman or linebacker and asking a DB to tackle Sony. McVay, didn't your boy Shanny teach you the value of that gimmick?

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I have always hated when we are running the ball and all of a sudden we have an empty set. It is like letting the defense off the hook. The only time I like it is when you have been running it and you go to no huddle and their personnel is for stopping the run and then we have them in match up problems. By the way, we don't do enough of the hurry up offense.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
It is a vent thread. It is a good thing. No one needs to judge the thread. Just let it happen. If you don't like what you read stop reading till the Rams do something good. Quite frankly, I don't follow it post by post. I also don't post when things are going good. I pretty much only complain or vent. Sorry if I am ruining your game day experience, but it is either you or my wife. We all know happy wife happy life. So you are pretty much screwed.